Buying a Wii! Pick my first game!

• 77 results
#1 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I can't wait any longer. I'm buying a Wii. I can't resist the amount of great exclusive titles they have. 

I've decided to do all my ordering on Amazon that way everything is nice and simple. Having Amazon Prime is definitely a bonus. I'm getting the black Wii w/ Wii Sports Resort, a Wii component cable and a component to HDMI box so I can hook it up to my monitor. If anyone has a better way of hooking it up to a monitor let me know...

Anyway, I honestly don't know which game to get first. I haven't played a Mario game in a really long time so Super Mario Galaxy 2 looks amazing. But should I get the original Super Mario Galaxy first? What about Twilight Princess? Help me decide or maybe name your three top Wii games? That would be awesome.

Help a brotha out!

#2 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -

SIlent Hill: Shattered Memories.

#3 Edited by Franstone (1092 posts) -

Wait for the new Zelda game, Skyward Sword... 
Super Mario Galaxy 2 reviewed better than the original, haven't played yet though. 
New Super Mario Bros. is good. 

Edit: Yea, was gonna add Metroid Prime Trilogy, you get a lot of game for your buck. 

Don't forget to save some loot for the virtual console.
#4 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

Metroid Prime: Trilogy

#5 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

Trauma Team one of the 3 reasons to own a wii

#6 Posted by Driadon (2995 posts) -
@BulletproofMonk said:
" SIlent Hill: Shattered Memories. "
This! It has been one of my favorites so far for the console. 

Or, if you like the type of game, Monster Hunter Tri.
#7 Posted by captain_awesome (41 posts) -

If you like to play with friends (offline) I suggest Super smash bros brawl Defenitely the game in which iv'e put the most hours in.

#8 Posted by hedfone (1749 posts) -
@BulletproofMonk said:
uh... no
#9 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Story Book Adventures.

#10 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -
@hedfone: uh... yes
#11 Posted by whacknasty (97 posts) -
#12 Posted by Mesklinite (804 posts) -

Zelda
#13 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel:  I liked Galaxy 1 a little more than 2, but they're both great. New Super Mario Bros Wii is fantastic if you like 2d. Punch-Out, Muramasa, and Sin and Punishment are cool too. I'd recommend skipping Zelda: Twilight Princess unless you're a huge fan, it's a pretty weak game and waggle-to-swing-sword motion controls make it worse.
#14 Edited by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
@BulletproofMonk said:

Haven't really heard much about that game. I'll have to check out a couple reviews and see what it is like. :) @MysteriousBob said:

" Story Book Adventures. "

Never heard of this either.  EDIT: I hate you. :P

@SuperfluousMoniker:
Murmasa looks interesting and I'll definitely get New Super Mario Bros. Wii eventually. I've just already played it a lot at a friends house. I was thinking of getting the GameCube version of Twilight Princess so I could use a normal controller...
#15 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

Only if you tell me about some good microphones for cheap prices :P.

#16 Posted by ESREVER (2670 posts) -

Muramasa 
No More Heroes 
New Super Mario Bros 
Metroid Prime Trilogy 
Kirby's Epic Yarn 
Donkey Kong Country Returns 
Monster Hunter Tri 
Mario Kart Wii 
Zelda: Skyward Sword

#17 Posted by InFamous91 (931 posts) -

No More Heroes :)

#18 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -
@InFamous91 said:
" No More Heroes :) "
Support the awesome. Buy This.
#19 Posted by BeachThunder (11697 posts) -

Dead Space Extraction :o

#20 Posted by xyzygy (9893 posts) -

No More Heroes, NMH2, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Metroid: Other M, Twilight Princess, Galaxy, and Galaxy 2 are all good choices. Whichever one you choose will be fun!

#21 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@Tarsier said:
" please dont get a wii... "
It's a great system to play video games on. Why the hate?
#22 Posted by Bigrhyno (505 posts) -

Wii Fit.

#23 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

A refund.

#24 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" A refund. "
I wish the Wii Defense Force was still around. Alas, the haters won the war.
#25 Posted by Levio (1783 posts) -

So many good Sonic games to pick from
So many good sports games to pick from

Where do I even begin?

#26 Posted by JJOR64 (18909 posts) -

I say pick up Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2.  Both of them are fantastic games.  If you don't those, how about Super Smash Bros. Brawl.@Claude said:

" @HandsomeDead said:
" A refund. "
I wish the Wii Defense Force was still around. Alas, the haters won the war. "
Same here.  I just stay out of it and don't feed the trolls when they talk shit.
#27 Edited by LordCmdrStryker (346 posts) -
#28 Posted by OldGuy (1513 posts) -

No More Heroes and NMH2.

Suddenly I feel the need to go do a grass mowing game and then collect coconuts...

Coconuts are worth more than human life!

#29 Posted by Toxin066 (3254 posts) -

Wii Sports

#30 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@Claude said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" A refund. "
I can not be defeated. I defeat all man. Soon I defeat real champion.
#31 Posted by Shadz (198 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Metroid Prime: Trilogy

#32 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

I feel like I want to blurt out a whole bunch of games at once but my top three Wii games are Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, although not necessarily in that order.

#33 Posted by DeF (4799 posts) -
@hedfone said:
" @BulletproofMonk said:
uh... no "
uh yea! totally!

if you want big bang for little buck then geht Shattered Memories and Metroid Prime Trilogy for a start. Zelda: Twilight Princess is pretty cheap as a used copy on amazon.com. Super Mario Galaxy 2 would also not be a bad choice but since MP:Trilogy is quite rare now since it's out of print, you should get this sooner rather than later (it's quite expensive on amazon.com ..a real shame try to hunt it down on ebay or something ...this collection is really worth it)
#34 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
#35 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@Claude said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" A refund. "
Ya what happened to those guys? I don't like Wii all that much but those guys were great at what they do and I enjoyed it. Anyways get Metroid Prime Trilogy. Mario Galaxy 1 then 2. Twilight Princess you can pass on, it's ok IMO unless you really want you some Zelda then go for it. 
#36 Posted by Dalai (6997 posts) -

Get both Mario Galaxy games first. After that, try something different like No More Heroes or even de Blob.

#37 Posted by Hailinel (23902 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:
" @Claude said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" A refund. "
Ya what happened to those guys? I don't like Wii all that much but those guys were great at what they do and I enjoyed it. Anyways get Metroid Prime Trilogy. Mario Galaxy 1 then 2. Twilight Princess you can pass on, it's ok IMO unless you really want you some Zelda then go for it.  "
As I understand it, Linkyshinks was banned for an ill-conceived insult he slung at one of the staff members in a forum thread.  Several others were subsequently banned or otherwise left due to the manner of their disagreement over Linky's banning.  I don't know all of the details, but I think that basically sums it up.

Anyway, the top Wii games I'd recommend are:

• Metroid:  Other M
  • Fire Emblem:  Radiant Dawn
  • Trauma Team
  • Monster Hunter Tri
  • Silent Hill:  Shattered Memories
#38 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I would say get Mario Galaxy 2. Other good ones to get would be No More Heroes 2, any Metroid game, or wait for Kirby's Epic Yarn.

#39 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5806 posts) -

If I bought a wii the first games I'd buy would be Fragile Dreams and Little King's Story.

#40 Posted by RoujinX (419 posts) -
#41 Edited by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

Anyway, the top Wii games I'd recommend are:

• Metroid:  Other M
  • Fire Emblem:  Radiant Dawn
  • Trauma Team
  • Monster Hunter Tri
  • Silent Hill:  Shattered Memories
"  
Sometimes I consider buying a Wii. 

Then I read lists like this of its apparent best games.

I appreciate it, because the lists reminds me that a Wii would just be a waste of money.
#42 Posted by lead_farmer (1040 posts) -

No More Heroes?

#43 Posted by wrathofconn (1460 posts) -

If you like Super Smash Bros. then Brawl is more of that, in addition to what others have mentioned.

#44 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Looks like I am just going to go with the first Mario Galaxy and work my way around from there. Surprised with all the Wii hate in this thread...

#45 Posted by Stinky2 (31 posts) -

Wii Fit was actually fun. Wii Sports Resort as well.  
these games are dexterity checks and simple so don't look for epic adventures in these but they are quality. 

Monster Hunter Tri, is a recipe game ( you grind for items to make other more powerful items.)
be warned before you buy into that one. its not my thing personally so i didn't care for it. 

#46 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5380 posts) -

Get the original Super Mario Galaxy, and then the sequel after you are done with that.

#47 Posted by Hailinel (23902 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" Looks like I am just going to go with the first Mario Galaxy and work my way around from there. Surprised with all the Wii hate in this thread... "
Giant Bomb is home to some rather tenacious Wii trolls.  I highly doubt that most of those with a burning hatred against the console have even played more than a couple of games of the original Wii Sports on it.  It's best not to pay attention to them.
#48 Posted by Hailinel (23902 posts) -
@Tarsier said:
" @Claude said:

" @Tarsier said:

" please dont get a wii... "
It's a great system to play video games on. Why the hate? "
its not hate.. i am trying to help, the wii is a waste of money. "
You've done nothing to provide an even basic supporting argument to your claim.  You might as well have shit out "Wii sux lol."  It uses fewer characters and gets the same point across with roughly the same level of intellectual capability.
#49 Posted by danimal_furry (1453 posts) -

Wii sports. Ha! Actually, No More Heroes is the shiznit.
#50 Posted by s7evn (1072 posts) -

No more heroes if you want awesome. Smg2 if you want one of the best games for the platform.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.