Buying a Wii! Pick my first game!

• 77 results
#51 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.
New Super Mario Bros. Wii.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 was a bit better than the first, but I'd recomend getting both at some point.
#52 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel: It was GB's wii game of the year in 2009
#53 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -
@Hailinel: I played Mario Party and a friends house and really dug that game, the Wii though has been kinda know for not having as good of games as the other consoles. Not saying I hate the way, no reason to get up in arms but it's kinda true. With Kirby's Epic Yarn, and Skyward Sword, and the Donkey Kong remake coming out the Wii does look pretty promising.
#54 Posted by SumDeus (1857 posts) -

Resident Evil 4 plays great on the Wii. I highly recommend that. Especially if you've never played it on any system.

#55 Posted by EternalInfinity0 (163 posts) -

Metroid Prime Trilogy IS the correct answer.

#56 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@SumDeus said:
" Resident Evil 4 plays great on the Wii. I highly recommend that. Especially if you've never played it on any system. "
Shit, that's it. You have to try this game on the Wii. For real, having been played or not, play this game.

Nice one SumDeus.
#57 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

#58 Posted by Hailinel (24272 posts) -
@Tarsier said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @Tarsier said:
" @Claude said:

" @Tarsier said:

" please dont get a wii... "
It's a great system to play video games on. Why the hate? "
its not hate.. i am trying to help, the wii is a waste of money. "
You've done nothing to provide an even basic supporting argument to your claim.  You might as well have shit out "Wii sux lol."  It uses fewer characters and gets the same point across with roughly the same level of intellectual capability. "
i wasnt in the game of arguing, i was in the game of giving valuable advice. "
"please dont get a wii..." is not valuable advice.  It is not valuable in any capacity, save for serving as an example of horrible writing skills in the English language.  You provide no reasoning as to why your advice should be followed.
#59 Posted by Skullo (646 posts) -
@Claude said:
" @SumDeus said:
" Resident Evil 4 plays great on the Wii. I highly recommend that. Especially if you've never played it on any system. "
Shit, that's it. You have to try this game on the Wii. For real, having been played or not, play this game.  Nice one SumDeus. "
Hell Yes! No More Heroes 1 & 2 and RE4. I'd have to agree with skipping Twilight Princess. It is a chore to play. Other M? I'm still out on that.

The Mario games? Hell yes! I've been meaning to get that.
#60 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@Claude said:
" @SumDeus said:
Shit, that's it. You have to try this game on the Wii. For real, having been played or not, play this game."
I found Resident Evil 4 Wii to be a weird game. Most of the tension in the game is because of the difficulty aiming but with the semi-accurate point and shoot mechanism, you can just get headshots with relative ease so it's not a particularly scary or tense game anymore. That being said, I never got up to the big boss characters so I can imagine that gets about as annoying as Metroid Prime Trilogy's large scale encounters.
#61 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" @Claude said:
" @SumDeus said:
Shit, that's it. You have to try this game on the Wii. For real, having been played or not, play this game."
I found Resident Evil 4 Wii to be a weird game. Most of the tension in the game is because of the difficulty aiming but with the semi-accurate point and shoot mechanism, you can just get headshots with relative ease so it's not a particularly scary or tense game anymore. That being said, I never got up to the big boss characters so I can imagine that gets about as annoying as Metroid Prime Trilogy's large scale encounters. "
I found the Gamecube version too hard. I played the Wii version and enjoyed it beyond belief. It was so much easier than the controller versions for me.
#62 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

I love my Wii. I love my god-damned Wii. 

I think all the good titles have been mentioned already, but here's a few that I would just like to reiterate the greatness of: 

Those are the standouts for me.
#63 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@Claude said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @Claude said:
" @SumDeus said:
I found Resident Evil 4 Wii to be a weird game. Most of the tension in the game is because of the difficulty aiming but with the semi-accurate point and shoot mechanism, you can just get headshots with relative ease so it's not a particularly scary or tense game anymore. That being said, I never got up to the big boss characters so I can imagine that gets about as annoying as Metroid Prime Trilogy's large scale encounters. "
I found the Gamecube version too hard. I played the Wii version and enjoyed it beyond belief. It was so much easier than the controller versions for me. "
I found the Gamecube version to handle perfectly because when you do pull up your gun, you can't just immediately shoot. That combined with the standing still made the combat really tense at times. If you could just play it like a standard action game, it would be something else entirely. Probably something easier that made the player feel like more of a badass but that feels like the opposite of what the game was aiming for.
#64 Posted by Hailinel (24272 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" I love my Wii. I love my god-damned Wii. 

I think all the good titles have been mentioned already, but here's a few that I would just like to reiterate the greatness of: 

Those are the standouts for me.
"
Muramasa is an excellent game and well worth recommending.  I personally prefer the original No More Heroes over its sequel, though, despite its flaws.
#65 Posted by demonknightinuyasha (462 posts) -

no more heroes would be my suggestion (though I haven't had a chance to check out 2 yet) or muramasa.  

also i had a metric shitton of trouble getting stuff to work with a component to hdmi adapter with my monitor. I don't even remember if I ever got it to work. I'd give a few more specifics on the models of stuff but I'm at work at the moment. Just wanted to throw the warning out there. 

#66 Posted by Irishjohn (581 posts) -
@Landon said:
" @InFamous91 said:
" No More Heroes :) "
Support the awesome. Buy This. "
Yes to this in a major way.
#67 Edited by Airedack (7 posts) -

I'm a big supporter of amazon prime, but you may want to consider if there is a Toys R Us  near you buying it there.   They are giving away a free wiimote with the purchase of a Wii starting the 26. 
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273635     
Also you may consider monoprice.com for you cables and converter box.  They make great stuff at great prices.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011406&p_id=4631&seq=1&format=2  
 http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10830&cs_id=1083007&p_id=5689&seq=1&format=2  
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3992&seq=1&format=2 

edit: I live in Oregon so wasn't thinking about sales tax that could kill the TRU deal.

#68 Posted by Drumminjay108 (93 posts) -

No More Heroes
Punch Out
Zack and Wiki

#69 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
@Airedack: Thanks for those links to monoprice. I didn't even think that they might have that sort of stuff.
#70 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
@BulletproofMonk said:
" SIlent Hill: Shattered Memories. "
#71 Edited by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Oh yeah, and I hope you are aware of this.

~ Meo, surviving member of the WDF.

#72 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

legend of zelda: twilight princess and a couple of games from the nintendo store.

#73 Posted by Mrskidders (1330 posts) -

Spend your money on something else, like really.  I wanted a Wii so bad and I never play it.  Wait and get a 3DS or buy a PS3 or something.

#74 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

Only two games worth getting on Wii, besides pack-ins. 

Mario Kart Wii 
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

#75 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Silent hill, shattered memories. 
#76 Posted by DiStaNcE191 (6 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy

#77 Posted by Shaanyboi (1281 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy 2
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Boom Blox (either one of them)
Metroid Prime Trilogy (really, just get this for the first prime, and Corruption)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.