Can a gamecube controller work on newer black wiis

#1 Posted by Lazyaza (2168 posts) -

So we got a new wii this christmas, in particular the latest black model that from what I understand was redesigned from the original somewhat.

My question is, I bought a gamecube style controller for this Wii, one released under the Hive label of third party accessories and it claims to be compatible with both the wii and gamecube. Now my problem is their are no gamecube controller ports on these newer models of the Wii. Am I totally fucked here and doomed to never be able to use anything but the wiimote or is their a specific adapter I can get?

#2 Posted by Skooky (473 posts) -

The latest Wii is not Gamecube compatible.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36047 posts) -

I imagine it would be, since there are quite a few Wii games that still use GameCube controllers.

#4 Edited by Claude (16254 posts) -

You'll probably have to get the Classic Controller Pro or the Classic Controller.

Edit

But yeah, like everyone is saying no Gamecube games. But the Classic Controller will work with some Wii games and games from the Virtual Console.

#5 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (730 posts) -

If your Wii has no Gamecube ports or Memory Card slots, it is not compatible with Gamecube games. Period.

#6 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

Yeah no GC support at all. My sis was dumb enough to get one of those black ones as well even though I told her not to. 

#7 Posted by Lazyaza (2168 posts) -

Yeah I'm not trying to play gamecube games specifically, I simply wanted to use the gamecube styled controller I got instead of the nintendo classic controller for the games that support it as I would rather not use the wiimote when possible. So without those gamcube controller ports what I bought is essentially useless, would have been nice to know beforehand but oh well price I pay for not reading up on it. Thanks guys.

Also fuck nintendo.

#8 Posted by mariokart64fan (366 posts) -

we got a blue one that is just like that but to my relief i have 3 gcs and 4 bc wiis

#9 Posted by manicraider (85 posts) -

Darn it. I was wondering the same thing. But it's not like the Wii Remote is so horrible, is it?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.