Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Can Castle Crashers come to Wii Ware?

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mushir

I have yet to play Castle Crashers, but by looking at the videos I think it could be possible to make it for Wii Ware. Would the controls and stuff work for the Wii? Its just that I really wanna play this game, but I don't own a 360 :(

I think it would do great on Wii Ware though. Been a long time since a really good Wii Ware game in my opinion.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

It wasn't made with WiiWare limitations so I doubt they can scale it down without too much effort to be worth it. They're already working on their next game and it's a small indie team. WiiWare has a fair share of good games often enough, Onslaught is better than I thought if you have online friends to play with, Lit hasn't been out for that long either.

I think they plan a PC release, unless I just remember the Braid announcement...

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond

Filesize is too big.  Probably could save some space by making the actual assets a little less detailed, but it'd be tough.  Game probably uses Flash, performance could be an issue but probably not.  Castle Crashers sold TONS of XBLA, so they probably would rather work on something new for XBLA rather than port to another platform with less potential sales.

There's been no rumors of a PC version of Castle Crashers, probably thinking of Braid.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Karmum

Aside from the fact that Microsoft published it?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

... Lol? It's XBLA, of course it's published by Microsoft. And Mega Man 9 is published by Microsoft on XBLA, Sony on PSN and Nintendo on WiiWare. They own the respective digital distribution solutions. If they also funded it that's a different point altogether, but I don't think they did?

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Lashe

Honestly, I think a port could be made. File size would be heavily reduced considering the sprites, backgrounds and all graphics would have to be scaled down to SD level, and mechanically the game is not that complex. With a little work, it would be possible.

However, probability is another issue altogether.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

It'd be cool, for sure. It's a great game. Though, it's 150MB or so, I think, which is a bit large for the Wii's standards. They'd probably have to scale down the artwork and UI and the like to look good at 480p/i, which'll also improve the filesize problem. They may have to cut the two side game modes too, to save space.

squirtle_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By squirtle_squad

I'd rather have it on psn
    :(

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Diamond
    Al3xand3r said:
    "... Lol? It's XBLA, of course it's published by Microsoft. And Mega Man 9 is published by Microsoft on XBLA, Sony on PSN and Nintendo on WiiWare. They own the respective digital distribution solutions. If they also funded it that's a different point altogether, but I don't think they did?"
    No actually, that's not how it works.  MS just distributes on Live, Sony distributes on PSN, Nintendo on Wiiware.  Not the same thing as publisher.  I hear MS takes a much larger portion of the profits if you have them publish your XBLA title versus finding another publisher.

Castle Crashers is apparently joint published with Behemoth (the developer), so chances of appearing on a Sony or Nintendo platform is nearly zero.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

Wow, that's fucked up. Well, unless Microsoft required exclusivity to publish it then it could still go on other platforms. Still, fucked up, just to rip small developers off. Why not just charge the same regardess of if they have a publisher or not? They still bought a dev kit and everything, right? So why not let them put the game on there on their own and MS take the usual cut instead of add an arbitary "publisher" term on there and charge more for it...

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lashe

See that seems very contradictory to how MS seem to take XBL's Community Games service whereby a very substantial cut of the downloads actually go to the developers themselves. I don't remember exact figures but it was pretty damn high, I would be surprised to see if MS fuck XBLA devs in the ass with regards to publishing.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Diamond
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Wow, that's fucked up. Well, unless Microsoft required exclusivity to publish it then it could still go on other platforms. Still, fucked up, just to rip small developers off. Why not just charge the same regardess of if they have a publisher or not? They still bought a dev kit and everything, right? So why not let them put the game on there on their own and MS take the usual cut instead of add an arbitary "publisher" term on there and charge more for it..."
    The key is if MS isn't publishing the other publisher takes some of the profit too.  I have a feeling MS works with developers to try to get good deals.  Maybe 'be exclusive to us and get more of the profit', wouldn't surprise me.  Publishing is a service, it's not just some arbitrary fee.  I hear the N+ guys self published.  I don't know if MS took a higher percentage, I think that's just if you have MS doing the publisher type work for you.
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By dsplayer1010

I think Microsoft has payed to keep it exclusive

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r

It's arbitary on digital distribution platforms because they go through microsoft, sony, and nintendo anyway. They still ask for a cut even if they don't call themselves the "publisher' that's for sure, as it is their servers that are used for the distribution.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Diamond
    Al3xand3r said:
    "It's arbitary on digital distribution platforms because they go through microsoft, sony, and nintendo anyway. They still ask for a cut even if they don't call themselves the "publisher' that's for sure, as it is their servers that are used for the distribution."
    Distribution is a separate service from publishing.  Publishing can take on many forms, it can have to do with making sure you're compliant with standards set by the distributor, and being legally responsible for those standards.  XBLA, PSN, Wiiware, Steam, Stardock, D2D, all of these are digital distribution.  There are bandwidth fees, fees relating to other stuff like advertising, then there's the profit the distributor gets.  Publishing is an unrelated part of the way a game goes from developers to the end user.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r

Publishing and Distributing sound like synonyms to me. So, what if they made their game according to standards on their own, as they have a dev kit properly and have experience with working for Microsoft systems. Would they be able to skip having  a publisher then, and therefor only ask for Microsoft's "distribution" and the lower fees associated with just that aspect than both?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Jayge_

Castle Crashers runs in 1080i (or is it p?), so no.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Diamond
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Publishing and Distributing sound like synonyms to me. So, what if they made their game according to standards on their own, as they have a dev kit properly and have experience with working for Microsoft systems. Would they be able to skip having  a publisher then?"
    If someone's making a game for PC, they don't need a publisher or developer at all.  MS, Sony, and Nintendo (and probably Valve to a lesser extent) have certain standards and regulations.

I don't know nearly everything about every part of the process, but I understand some reasons for a publisher position.  Most commonly, I think the publisher is in the position of financing the games development.  I heard in interviews with the N+ guys that if you're willing to fulfill all the requirements of a publisher yourself then you won't need a publisher, but I'm not sure if MS changes their rates based on that.  I guess MS has standards that certain languages have to be available no matter what.  At least in the N+ case, they did this themselves.
    Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Captain_Fookup

The only way it would work if it was released on a disk, perhaps with Alien Hominid and their new game that they're currently working on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.