Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Capcom Bringing MT Framework Game Engine To Wii?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks
    MT Framework, the Capcom game engine which powers the likes of Lost Planet 2 and Resident Evil 5, looks to be on it's way to Nintendo Wii.

Japanese gaming site Inside Games has a summary of a report from Nikkei Industrial, which states that Capcom plans on bringing a game engine over to the Nintendo Wii in order to improve development efficiency. The Inside Games summary doesn't mention MT Framework by name, but it does state that the engine is normally used for PS3 and Xbox 360 - The current is MT Framework.

According to the Nikkei Industrial, bringing the engine to additional platforms will allow Capcom to reduce development costs as well as improve promotional efficiency. The respected finance paper also says that simultaneous development can save Capcom 1/5 off development costs and 1/3 off development time over developing games separately, while providing solid numbers to back up the claim.

Nikkei Industrial believe Capcom isn't just planning on bringing the engine over to the Wii, but hopes to also include Nintendo Wii in the development cycle for all its multi-platform games in future.  

Google Translate Link
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By oldschool

You have to love Capcom's work, so this can only be a good thing.  Time will tell if it bears some fruit for the Wii.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Willy105

Not really news. Ever since 2007, almost every HD developer has been trying to get their games to run on the Wii. It would be stupid not to, especially when the Wii became a surprise hit and their HD games were not getting the revenue to get back their high development costs.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks

@oldschool said:

" You have to love Capcom's work, so this can only be a good thing.  Time will tell if it bears some fruit for the Wii. "

I certainly do with Monster Hunter Tri and Tatsunoko Vs Capcom on the way next year in the West.   

It's great news for the console, it should mean owners who only own a Wii won't miss out on the big titles. It's also good for Nintendo's next console when Capcom show such a commitment to the Nintendo platform. Hopefully the idiots at both EA and Ubisoft will take note, while Capcom rake it in...  
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Meowayne

It does make me wonder what engine the Darkside Chronicles runs on, because that game looks great for Wii game.  

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks

That's a bad example of what the Wii can achieve... Darkside Chronicles is a rails shooter!, you can push just about anything on such a game if a developer is committed enough. And even still, Darkside Chronicles looks plain ugly in areas, it certainly doesn't have anything close to the quality of Capcom's other titles on 360 and PS3, and even Wii for that matter.  

The best Capcom example on Nintendo Wii so far is Monster Hunter 3, with MT Framework it should be able to go one better and push more...

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r

Darkside Chronicles is a perfect example imo, people give too much credit to the "it's on rails you can push the graphics" attitude as I don't think any developer makes engines that way anymore, only SEGA probably ever did while pushing their old school arcade hardware to its limit. With how much Darkside Chronicles must have been edited over time in regards to the camera views, the shaking, the paths the player should take through the level, the enemy placements and their number to provide a good pace and challenge, path tweaks until the last minute, it's probably made conventionally like any other engine and could handle an action adventure without too much change. It looks ugly in some places but I can think of plenty popular HD games that look ugly in some places, that doesn't mean much other than time contraints, putting the effort where it's most necessary, and that while it looks like a quality title it's still pretty low budget compared to others. Still, Cavia did excellent work.

As for this engine, it remains to be seen what it's used for. I'd be more confident if they made a new engine for Wii, I'm not comfortable with them bringing a previously multiplatform as it also hints at more ports rather than exclusive titles, that could end up pretty messy on the visual front, like for example the COD engine Treyarch ported. I mean, what are they going to do, bring us a watered down Lost Planet 2? Why not use the engine of the original that can probably run on Wii almost identically, give or take a few effects, and make a new adventure with it of course, since Lost Planet had a fair share of issues. Something like Lost Planet 1.5, or even 2.5, in terms of story, with all their gameplay experience from the 2nd game. On the other hand it could also end up sweet like Ubisoft's LyN engine (why put them down after RS2, Anno and likely more?).

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Marzy

This is great news, in my opinion.

After seeing Monster Hunter on Wii, I'm sure a Lost Planet game could work well. I played the PS3 demo of Lost Planet 2 the other day and I thought it was such a fantastic game. I would imagine using the Wii-mote to aim would work very well in a Wii version and it'd definitely be something I would like to see in the future from Capcom. I'd rather not see a port though, but an original game to add to the franchise.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrKlorox

Wait... Dead Rising on the Wii doesn't use MT Framework? 
    Also would they port MT 1 or MT 2? Or would it be a new offshoot?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Darkside Chronicles is a perfect example imo, people give too much credit to the "it's on rails you can push the graphics" attitude as I don't think any developer makes engine that way anymore, only SEGA probably ever did while pushing their old school arcade hardware to its limit. With how much Darkside Chronicles must have been edited over time in regards to the camera views, the shaking, the paths the player should take through the level, the enemy placements and their number to provide a good pace and challenge, path tweaks until the last minute, it's probably made conventionally like any other engine and could handle an action adventure without too much change. It looks ugly in some places but I can think of plenty popular HD games that look ugly in some places, that doesn't mean much other than time contraints, putting the effort where it's most necessary, and that while it looks like a quality title it's still pretty low budget compared to others. Still, Cavia did excellent work.As for this engine, it remains to be seen what it's used for. I'd be more confident if they made a new engine for Wii, I'm not comfortable with them bringing a previously multiplatform engine to it because that could end up pretty messy on the visual front, like for example the COD engine Treyarch ported, while it also hints at more ports rather than exclusive titles. I mean, what are they going to do, bring us a watered down Lost Planet 2? Why not use the engine of the original that can probably run on Wii almost identically, give or take a few effects, and make a new adventure with it of course, since Lost Planet had a fair share of issues. Something like Lost Planet 1.5, or even 2.5, in terms of story, with all their gameplay experience from the 2nd game put to work. On the other hand it could also end up pretty sweet like Ubisoft's LyN engine. "

Dead Space looks as good as it does on Wii because of the nature of the engine, the developers themselves have said as much.  

It's easy enough to create something which looks good but is ultimately stagnant, something that lacks the level of interactivity you'll find in a fully  realised 3D environment. 
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

But Extraction also doesn't look as good as Darkside Chronicles so clearly there's always room for improvement and optimisation. Maybe with more time Cavia's engine can be optimised to produce an action adventure with the visuals toned down. Or at least the Extraction engine since that clearly has more room for optimisation to reach the level of Darkside Chronicles. As for interactivity, meh, not many games have much more than picking up items and smashing the odd barrel or other object, which Darkside Chronicles does include.

@MrKlorox said:

" Wait... Dead Rising on the Wii doesn't use MT Framework? "

No, it used the Resident Evil 4 engine with shoehorned Dead Rising assets, hence the shitty result.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Meowayne

Extraction looks fantastic and playing it, it didn't feel any less "interactive" than most FPS and TPS.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well anyway at the very least it shows they intend to make some more non-Chronicles Wii games (they'd use the existing engine for those) :-P

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Linkyshinks

Some are speculating that it could be for Nintendo's next console, and not the Wii...

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#15  Edited By Icemael

I hope this means a Wii port for Resident Evil 5. Without mandatory Sheva AI partner and shitty inventory.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Linkyshinks said:

" Some are speculating that it could be for Nintendo's next console, and not the Wii... "

Some are stupid. Why would they "bring MT Framework on Wii" if they aren't bringing MT Framework on Wii, but are bringing MT Framework on another system? Unless the translation was completely wrong. But IGN's speculation is certainly not warranted at this point, they're just reaching for hot Pachter-like hit-attracting news...
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Willy105
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " Some are speculating that it could be for Nintendo's next console, and not the Wii... "
    Although it contradicts everything the announcement said, it could make sense, since we are at the half-way point of the Wii's life, and new consoles usually start development before that time.
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By ThomasP
    I love Capcom... seriously.

@Linkyshinks
    said:
    Interesting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.