Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Capcom Explain Why Crap Like Dead Rising Wii Exists

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

The Japanese powerhouse last year decided to port over the Zombie game Dead Rising to the Wii. Since then some including me have mocked what looks like a woefully shoddy version of the game, with some accusing the publisher to be, purely in it for the money.

Capcom's Product Marketing Manager Colin Ferris has responded to these claims  with a straightforward statement:

"The better a franchise does, the more chance sequels will come about"

"...some claim that the only reason we brought Dead Rising to the Wii was to make money... You're right, we've been caught: We're guilty of being a business. In fact, as a gamer, you should want a brand that you love to be successful, because that increases the chance that we'll make more games. The games business is filled with titles that people love that simply did not make money: Viewtiful Joe. Okami. Zack and Wiki."

-Product Marketing Manager Colin Ferris

Your thoughts GB?

My take:

Once in a while great games do indeed go unnoticed by the masses, but this ultimately comes down to the failings of the developer, not the audience. These games he mentions are prime examples for me of where Capcom have failed miserably in respect to a few things.

Zack and Wiki, a fantastic game with high production values, despite that I said even before the game was released that this game is going to struggle. Zack and Wiki has fundamental idiotic flaws.

The name. The idiot who conceived the title," Zack and Wiki: Quest for Babaros Treasure" should be shot, with a musket.  There is also the terrible character design the game has. Having a main protagonist that is going to be appeal to the masses is absolutely essential with any game. Both Zack and Wiki fail to do this. Both of the main characters are terribly ill conceived for the western market, and even Japan I can well imagine. Zack chews on chocolate bars for no apparent reason, and also has other lame childish animations which are simply not endearing. While Wiki on the other hand makes these very annoying baby noises every minute or so, and this when your trying to work out complex puzzles!.

Okami, they have failed this mighty god twice. After the bad sales of the PS2 version you would think Capcom would have learned from their mistakes, sadly that was clearly not the case. Capcom did everything wrong. After finally giving into fans of the PS2 game calls for a Wii version, and giving the game to Ready at Dawn to supposedly sensitively port over to Wii. Ready at Dawn and Capcom ended up doing the opposite. They offended those fans of the PS2 game, who like me were actually ready to buy the game again for the want of Wii controls that would enhance the Okami experience.

According to the majority of fans of the original, they failed to do this. Fans for tyhe most part still much prefer the original on PS2 for a number of reasons. Firstly, there is the saturation of colours. The colours on PS2 are far more akin to the brush paint art which the game is based upon. The vibrancy of the colours in the Wii version are far removed from the muted colours found in brush painting art from Japan and China. You simply do not find that level of neon like vibrancy in the real brush art!. They ruined the authenticity and charm the original had.

The removal of the Clover credits really stank for many fans, it was amazing to see a Japanese company like Capcom, who you would think would be high on respect as any other Japanese company, actually remove all acknowledgment of the TEAM that made the beautiful original. Was this Capcom or was this Ready at Dawns decision?, either way it makes no difference in my eyes.  Giving the game to a American developer was a bad idea imo, a Japanese developer would have done a far better job at realising a Wii version.

The controls, *ughh*, were simply annoying and a chore at times. All this crap from some Wii owners saying, ahh you must have shaky hands is BS. The game controls should have been composed so that there was room for error. They should have been so loose that anyone could pick up the game and play, instead there are moments of sheer frustration that diminish the quality of the experience you had on PS2. A one time GOTY.

In hindsight, if they waited it out longer for improvements to LiveMove and Motion + it may of given the developers what they needed to actually improve the game over the PS2 game.

The bigget failing of Okami on Wii is the lack of in your face advertising, on TV and other such media sources. When I heard Christian Svennson say they were not going to advertise the game in such a way I was truly gobsmacked,. I was like, wait a minute, your making another investment in the game in order to make the same crappy mistake again: ? It begs belief...

Everyone knows how awesome Okami is, imo it should be a game that sells big time to parents who see the art aspect as positive, as well as how the game encourages and promotes the idea of nature being sacred and vital to all. That simple message could have come out to the masses in TV advertising, and if it did so, the game on Wii would have been fucking huge.

It was a case of bad advertising strategy with Viewtiful Joe also, it was practically non existent!. In my eyes all they had to do was to put a series of adverts in US cinemas that tied to the film element in the game. Something comedic that people would laugh at and think of as cool.

Don't believe this crap, Capcom are treating the Wii like sh*t ultimately, with bad strategy from people like himself.  To see what they are capable of on Wii, with the required investment, you only have to look at games made primarily for the Japanese market,  games like Monster Hunter Tri and Tatsunoko Vs Capcom. But only games intended for the Japanese market primarily get this level of investment.

All their western divisions are making 360 -PS3- PC games, no Wii games, Wii development is not afforded the same resources. Capcom USA should have a development team based in the west focused on creating Wii gamer for the western markets, as they have now started doing with 360 and PS3.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By c1337us

If game developers arent in it for the money, what else are they in it for?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks
    c1337us said:
    "If game developers arent in it for the money, what else are they in it for?"

It's a pitiful excuse given the userbase in place for Wii, and the vast sums of money that can be extracted from it with good quality titles that are promoted correctly.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Rowr

wow refreshingly honest.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

Meh, who cares what explanation any corporate firm gives? Just focus on the good games guys, no reason to give additional spotlight to nonsense. I don't think there's much to complain about CAPCOM given we get Monster Hunter 3 and Tatsunoko Vs. CAPCOM (even if the latter never comes here). Umbrella Chronicles wasn't bad for what it was, and of course Zack & Wiki has been praised enough. So they make one dud with Dead Rising, and a half-dud with Okami. So what? They're making up for it in my book, all that's left is a new Wii Resident Evil really, and I'm sure that will depend on how well received their other quality titles are. But even if they didn't make up for it with their good titles, we have other developers to pay attention to instead of CAPCOM's second rate teams and bad decisions. Note the thread I started today for example :P

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By JonathanMoore

In a perfect world, great-underrated classics will get sequels, in this world, it doesn't happen.

Using Movies as an example, A Nightmare on Elm Street had like 5000 sequels, and practically all of em' sucked.

-- God Bless.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By brukaoru

Aww man, this is about as good of a reaction as the "go make a sandwich," comment in response to the long install times on their PS3 games.

There's nothing more to this case then them seeing Wii as being a huge cash cow where they don't need to spend the time to make a decent game because stuff will sell anyway, in their mind.

You also make a good point about advertising. There certainly was not a lot of advertising for Clover Studios games, and they ended up not making enough profit for Capcom and were shut down.

Anyway, I certainly would like to know what Kenji Inafune's thoughts on this are, I'd imagine he wasn't particular happy with the decision to make this game on the Wii.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#8  Edited By strangeling

They removed any credit to Clover from the Wii version of Okami? I didn't know that, that's just disrespectful.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By RHCPfan24

I actually wonder how Dead Rising for the Wii will sell. I am sure it will do fine, but enough to reimburse costs and make money from? I don't know.

I must say, though, that the new Dead Rising actually looks okay. A bunch of improvements to the already sturdy formula such as better aiming, bigger text, and better save options will probably make this game rather playable, and the only hit it is going to take is in the graphics department, which is expected. The RE4 Wii Edition looked nice, and considering this is using the same engine, it should look rather fine for the Wii.

All in all, the only foundation of a company is to make money, so it is hard to complain about the natural laws of the economy. In this tough economic time, if a company believes that porting a a game they had success with to the largest selling system currently, then go ahead. Go make money.  if you don't like it, don't buy it.  And don't think that this precedent hasn't been set before. Ever since the minigame collections such as Carnival Games swarmed the system, all companies knew that it would be a wise choice to follow suit. You are going to find a lot of crap on the Wii, but there are also gems present too. For all we know, this Dead Rising game could indeed be one of those.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By strangeling

I still have an interest in Dead Rising, but I don't think I'll pick it up for the Wii.  I read something about the main character being a photographer, but they removed the photo taking from the Wii version?  I don't know the game well at all, but that seems to detract from who the character is.  I'll probably just wait until I get around to buying a 360, and pick the game up for it then (hopefully, on the cheap too).

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Endogene

Quite a difference between making a game that will make money and a game that looks like utter crap.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead

I would have liked it if it had explicitly stated that the money from this was being funnelled directly into a Dead Rising 2 for Xbox 360 but just saying that the game has been put out to make money means that they could simply take that money, skim off the top and make another cheap Dead Rising Wii to keep making money and not really make anything of a high quality with it.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By OmegaPirate

hey -at least the wiis getting a dead rising, - us ps3 guys are STILL missing out

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Endogene
    OmegaPirate said:
    "hey -at least the wiis getting a dead rising, - us ps3 guys are STILL missing out"
    Not all that sure that this version is the one a ps3 owner would want...
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By OmegaPirate

True enough,b uts urely a straight edged port of the original to ps3 would take a lot less effort than making this wii version?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Linkyshinks
    strangeling said:
    "I still have an interest in Dead Rising, but I don't think I'll pick it up for the Wii.  I read something about the main character being a photographer, but they removed the photo taking from the Wii version?  I don't know the game well at all, but that seems to detract from who the character is.  I'll probably just wait until I get around to buying a 360, and pick the game up for it then (hopefully, on the cheap too)."

That would certainly be the better option, or you could hold out for the PC version which is supposedly in the works despite no news on it at all.

It's a great game well worth playing, on the right platform. This Wii version takes away much of the good that is easily found in the original, I actually feel offended when I look at the Wii version lol. I don't think I have ever thought so negatively about a Capcom game in all my years of gaming.

MrsIronNipples

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrsIronNipples

Capcom USA is re known for their poor localization.  They need to change the way they advertise to people.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LiquidPrince

The truth is that no developer want's to produce games on the Wii when they can release an HD version of the game they imagine on the PS3 and 360, so most Wii games will turn out to be poor as a result. It doesn't completely matter that the Wii has the most sales, because developers say, "hey, I want to release my game in HD, because that's what I think it deserves." Consequently, the Wii will get ports and crappy games, just to make up money for any dollars lost on the development of bigger games releasing for that company.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StaticFalconar

I agree with Capcom here; while I hated Capcom after hearing clover gets put down; if they want to make more money, then by all means let them even if its a bad port. This is why we have review sites to tell us this port is shit.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Al3xand3r

That 'truth' seems far-fetched with the Wii's 2009 lineup Prince. Seriously, where do you guys come up with that stuff, it's hilarious (or perhaps depressing) to see the so called hardcore gamers so clueless about what's happening around them, just because it's not their platform of choice. Anyway, I think opening your eyes will reveal that many developers aren't as obsessed with "HD" as fanboys. For a couple of loud examples, did you happen to miss the platform of choice for the next (or the current, on the DS) 'Dragon Quest' main title, the next 'Tales of' main title, and the next 'Monster Hunter' main title? By main I mean not spin-offs or ports. Whether you care for those franchises or not, they all show your truth isn't quite, well, true for at least three industry behemoths. Again they're mere examples, with many more to be revealed if that eye opening occurs.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Wow, that truth sure seems far-fetched with the Wii's 2009 lineup. Seriously, where do you guys come up with that stuff, it's hilarious (or for some, depressing) to see the so called hardcore gamers so clueless about what's happening around them, just because it's not their platform of choice. Anyway, I think opening your eyes will reveal that many developers aren't as obsessed with "HD" as fanboys tend to be."
    No, you are naive. No developer wants to release their game on a lower system, when they can release it with the max potential. Never will you see a big company decide to release a major release on the Wii unless they are under contract. Never would Resident Evil 5 be a Wii release. Like I said, you are naive to think anyone wants to release on a weaker system. The Wii is mainly the system that developer use to help make back money from their bigger HD console releases.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Al3xand3r

Right back at you for the naive comment. I edited my last comment to make it a little more definitive, as it suits it. I don't really need to respond again because I've covered everything in that, but I'll add that, if technological capability was the obsession of the developers as it seems to be for you, we'd never have anything more than shovelware "make money back" titles on consoles, and they'd all take on the PC for the good games, except for first parties of course. And yet we see tons of incredible titles find their way into the lowest common denominator, the portables. What a paradox.

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Stevokenevo

Wait, theres a PC version in the works??  Everything ive seen or heard about Wii Dead Rising is negative, and that includes the comments this dude made. 

If what you say is true about a pc version, ill be getting that, or buying it on another console.  I want to photograph people being eaten!!

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    Stevokenevo said:
    "Wait, theres a PC version in the works??  Everything ive seen or heard about Wii Dead Rising is negative, and that includes the comments this dude made. 

If what you say is true about a pc version, ill be getting that, or buying it on another console.  I want to photograph people being eaten!!"

YOUR SICK! 

:P
    Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Stevokenevo

Hey!  Youre a ZombieHunter,  at least all i want to do is take photos of them.  :D  Im more of a voyeur.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Right back at you for the naive comment. I edited my last comment to make it a little more definitive, as it suits it. Anyway, if what you say is true then every company under the sun except the first parties would have moved to PC development many years ago, while portables would never be considered, ever. As for RE5 in particular, well, what about 4? It sure didn't come on the most powerful platforms of its time. Why didn't CAPCOM make it for Xbox, which while of similar power to the other systems it did offer a quite massive visual leap thanks to normal mapping (Doom 3 would never be possible on PS2 or GC), and then make a spin off for PS2 and GC to "make back money" from the bigger release?"
    No, my naive friend they wouldn't have. PC gaming is a far different animal, then console gaming. PC gaming requires developers to create a game that will scale to many different configurations of hardware, and that is a hassle, plus PC games never sell as well as console games, unless you're blizzard... That, and the constant problem of piracy puts all companies off PC gaming. Most recently, CryTek said they were through making PC exclusive games, for those same reasons. It is much easier for a developer to develop a game on a console where they know that the hardware configuration is the same across the board, and people will get the same essential experience. Seriously, I'm studying Digital Media and I have a lot of friends in the buisness, so do not argue what you have no real idea about.

As for your arguement of Resident Evil 4, that is a stupid comparison. The Xbox was the strongest console, but the Xbox had no penetration in Japan, and it wasn't that much stronger then the Gamecube and Playstation 2. The differences were negligible. As for portable games, they are usually there so that they help recoup money for bigger games just like the Wii. Most good portable games are either first party, or by devlopers that only develop for portable systems and not consoles.

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Stevokenevo

Yeah, im waiting for the DS version of Dead Rising!  Tickle touch screen control attacks. 

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Al3xand3r

I honestly can't believe someone can be that pretentious and/or obsessed enough to not notice simple reality, or at least compose a proper response. I don't need to dissect your opinion about the Xbox's capability or the comments about the PC as a platform or the contraditions about when market shares matter for the choice of platform and when they don't matter because they can always make cash in shovelwares and how you seem completely ignorant of what titles get on portables or the Wii, and... I'll stop here. Holy shit really. I'll take that response as what it is, and try to laugh. It IS a joke, right? God, let that be a joke, please don't make me turn emo.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Stevokenevo said:
    "Wait, theres a PC version in the works??  Everything ive seen or heard about Wii Dead Rising is negative, and that includes the comments this dude made. 

If what you say is true about a pc version, ill be getting that, or buying it on another console.  I want to photograph people being eaten!!"

According to this it's due to be released next month on the 27th.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Al3xand3r said:
    "I honestly can't believe someone can be that pretentious and/or obsessed enough to not notice simple reality, or at least compose a proper response. I don't need to dissect your opinion about the Xbox's capability or the comments about the PC as a platform or the contraditions about when market shares matter for the choice of platform and when they don't matter because they can always make cash in shovelwares and how you seem completely ignorant of what titles get on portables or the Wii, and... I'll stop here. Holy shit really. I'll take that response as what it is, and try to laugh. It IS a joke, right? God, let that be a joke, please don't make me turn emo."
    So basically you're saying you don't have a proper valid response, and your trying to end the conversation with something that will make you seem intelligent and hide the fact that you can't dispute anything I said. Go turn to an emo for all we care...

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Al3xand3r

I'm saying I, and simple reality, have already provided valid responses you chose to ignore and flood with contradictions and imaginary facts.

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Stevokenevo
    LiquidPrince said:
    "Al3xand3r said:
    "I honestly can't believe someone can be that pretentious and/or obsessed enough to not notice simple reality, or at least compose a proper response. I don't need to dissect your opinion about the Xbox's capability or the comments about the PC as a platform or the contraditions about when market shares matter for the choice of platform and when they don't matter because they can always make cash in shovelwares and how you seem completely ignorant of what titles get on portables or the Wii, and... I'll stop here. Holy shit really. I'll take that response as what it is, and try to laugh. It IS a joke, right? God, let that be a joke, please don't make me turn emo."
    So basically you're saying you don't have a proper valid response, and your trying to end the conversation with something that will make you seem intelligent and hide the fact that you can't dispute anything I said. Go turn to an emo for all we care...

"
    About all we can see is that Alex is "obsessed" with the wii.  He mentions failing to give a proper response at the same time as not giving one.  Contradictions. Do as I say! Not as I do!
    Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Stevokenevo
    Linkyshinks said:
    "Stevokenevo said:

According to this it's due to be released next month on the 27th.

hmm...dunno whether to trust that.  It isnt listed on play.com or game.co.uk.  I hope its true because that would be my purchase.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Al3xand3r said:
    "I'm saying I, and simple reality, have already provided valid responses you chose to ignore and flood with contradictions and imaginary facts."
    No, you haven't posted anything of value. I'm not here arguing that the Wii lacks good games, but it is the system that is undoubtedly used to recoup losses from the bigger HD releases of the company. If you deny that, they you are not naive, you are just plain not smart. Also, ask any devloper, if you know any, and ask them why they choose to create games for the HD consoles rather then a system that has a much larger user base. 99% of the time it will be that they prefer to release they're imagined game in the highest possible visual fidelity.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Al3xand3r

I could say the first sentence about you quite easily. But let's get back to the basics. This is what you said:
    The truth is that no developer want's to produce games on the Wii when they can release an HD version of the game they imagine on the PS3 and 360, so most Wii games will turn out to be poor as a result.

I'll have you know "most games" on any platform are poor, as the shitty developers outnumber the good ones by a large ratio, so that doesn't say much at all. On the other hand, there are many developers who put their games on the Wii, or the portables, and they turn out pretty damn incredible. Isn't that enough to show the HD obsession isn't as evident in them as in you, or as you implied for them? If it was, pretty much all third party games would be poor, and they'd avoid "spoiling" franchises like 'Monster Hunter', 'Dragon Quest', the 'Vs.' titles, and 'Tales of' by only making spin offs for those platforms. You seriously don't think it's quite possible the developers of these, and many more titles, WANTED them on the platform exactly because they want their games to be enjoyed by as many as possible, on the most popular platforms, even if it's not in HD form?

Market share is a big reason for what they put games on (whether that is total, or a particular audience), but when that doesn't end up being a HD system, it doesn't instantly mean they feel wronged and as a result the games are poor, as you state.

One can say a developer would feel wronged if his games were on the platform with the lowest penetration for a given market, depriving it of sales potential. The same if his game wasn't advertised enough,, or many other choices that aren't in their hands. Now we also have the DS and Wii controls as more options for a developer to want or not want for his game.

All these things can be just as important as HD or not HD you know. After all, Nintendo still has some of the best game developers out there, and they all helped shape the Wii, so clearly they had different priorities than you do. The same can apply to non-Nintendo studios.

The Wii got the shaft from many, but it's not like bad games don't exist anywhere else.The previous PlayStation iterations were full of shovelware, that didn't stop the good developers from making classics on it, and it doesn't stop them on the WIi now that third party support is at full speed, both with established franchises and with all new IP creation. Not every developer is Itagaki (thank God) to feel bad if he has to develop for anything less than the most powerful platform around. Market share isn't only important to publishers, developers tend to want their games enjoyed by many also, and control systems can also be important to them, as, once again, the Wii was designed by game developers too, whether you like them or not.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Really? This is what you said:
    The truth is that no developer want's to produce games on the Wii when they can release an HD version of the game they imagine on the PS3 and 360, so most Wii games will turn out to be poor as a result."
    That doesn't have anything  to do with what I said above. That isn't saying that the Wii doesn't have good games. It's saying that people generally prefer to create games on the other consoles.

Al3xand3r said:
    "I'll have you know "most games" on any platform are poor, as the shitty developers outnumber the good ones by a large ratio, so that doesn't say much at all. On the other hand, there are many developers who put their games on the Wii, or the portables, and they turn out pretty damn incredible. Isn't that enough to show the HD obsession isn't as evident in them as in you, or as you implied for them?

Market share is a big reason for what they put games on (whether that is total, or a particular audience), but when that doesn't end up being a HD system, it doesn't instantly mean they feel wronged and as a result the games are poor, as you state.

One can say a developer would feel wronged if his games were on the platform with the lowest penetration for a given market, depriving it of sales potential. The same if his game wasn't advertised much, or many other choices done by the publisher rather than the developer. Now we also have the DS and Wii controls as more options for a developer to want or not want for his game.

All these things can be just as important as HD or not HD you know. After all, Nintendo still has some of the best game developers out there, and they all helped shape the Wii, so clearly they had different priorities than you do. The same can apply to non-Nintendo studios.

The Wii got the shaft from many, but it's not like bad games don't exist anywhere else.The previous PlayStation iterations were full of shovelware, that didn't stop the good developers from making classics on it, and it doesn't stop them on the WIi now that third party support is at full speed. Not every developer is Itagaki (thank God) to feel bad if he has to develop for anything less than the most powerful platform around."
    You are wrong. I have heard first hand that when a console developer has a choice to create a game, they will choose the higher consoles simply because it's closer to what they envision in their heads, usually leaning towards HD gaming. Games on the HD consoles get huge budgets. Never does a Wii game ever get the budget of a Killzone or a GTA. Nor does it need it. Also, you need to understand that portble gaming is a different section then console gaming. It doesn't go like, "hmm let's make this game on the Wii... Wait, we should mak it on a PSP..." HD is the major factor of this generation. Sure you can make good games on the Wii, but that's much morre rare since most developers will only use that console to recoup money, as I have said before.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Al3xand3r

Care to quote then please? Who said it exactly? A programmer? An artist? A designer? An actual big-name designer? Of what firm and which team in particular? And hell, how many of them, because you've already gone from 100% of all developers to just 99% of a particular portion of developers (asking HD devs why they chose HD kind of is pointless, I could also ask Wii devs why they chose the Wii and get market share or controller as a response), to, what now? Please elaborate how you gathered these foolproof statistics.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By JJOR64

Dead Rising on Wii still looks like crap.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Care to quote then please? Who said it exactly? A programmer? An artist? An actual big-name designer? Of what firm and which team in particular? And hell, how many of them, because you've already gone from 100% of all developers to just 99% of a particular portion of developers, to, what now? Please elaborate how you gathered these foolproof statistics."
    Just look at the Wii catalogue. Name some big name developers who have put grade A content on the Wii and compare that to the Xbox 360 and PS3. I daresay that the big games that people actually want to play are bigger and better on the 360/PS3. Or, in fact, at least just on there. Unless you know of ports for GTA IV etc.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Al3xand3r

I already focused mostly on the 2009 (or beyond) lineup which includes Dragon Quest X, Monster Hunter 3 and Tales of ---, these are all the examples needed from big names, I don't think anyone believes the companies would want to tarnish the name of these franchises, therefor we'd have to assume putting them on a non-HD platform doesn't really tarnish them in any way.

But we also have things like The Crystal Bearers, Fragile, Sky Crawlers, Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom, and many others. I don't think new IP creation somehow became the privilege of shovelware (especially when it holds the name of the company like Vs. CAPCOM does), and especially coming from these particular teams.

But there are still things in the existing catalog like No More Heroes (and guess what, he wants the sequel on WIi too, and didn't go for one of the HD platforms now that he has more publisher support) and De Blob.

But I think you're in the wrong thread, compare them to other things on the PS3 or 360? What would I compare DQX to? FFXIII? A bit silly to say the least. What about Monster Hunter 3? What about No More Heroes? Compare it to Afro Samurai? That's not even from the same developer so how would it show if that developer prefers HD or if he prefers marker share? Meh?

I'll maintain that market share is what most people look at when they create a game. Maybe they make it for Wii thanks to the huge total market share, maybe they make it for PS3 because they feel it has that portion of the Japanese audience down, maybe they make it for the 360 because they think that's where it well sell the most as it has more of that particular audience thanks to more titles of that type, maybe whatever else. Not just "zomg it's HD let's maek it for dis" or whatever fanboys want to drool over thinking.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Who gives a crap?  Capcom consistently pumps out good games on the 360 and ps3.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Al3xand3r said:
    "I already focused mostly on the 2009 (or beyond) lineup which includes Dragon Quest X, Monster Hunter 3 and Tales of ---, these are all the examples needed from big names, I don't think anyone believes the companies would want to tarnish the name of these franchises, therefor we'd have to assume putting them on a non-HD platform doesn't really tarnish them in any way."
    Those things are pretty much only big in Japan where everyone is still pro-Nintendo. If the Wii was in HD while the 360 wasn't, you can bet they'd go for the Wii regardless.

Al3xand3r said:
    "But we also have things like The Crystal Bearers, Fragile, Sky Crawlers, Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom, and many others. I don't think new IP creation somehow became the privilege of shovelware (especially when it holds the name of the company like Vs. CAPCOM does), and especially coming from these particular teams."
    Boy, those sure are highly anticipated titles you can compare to GTA, MGS, Halo, Gears of War, Killzone, Resistance, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry. Do I need to go on? Great, they're new IPs, but they're nothing major.

Al3xand3r said:
    "But there are still things in the existing catalog like No More Heroes (and guess what, he wants the sequel on WIi too, and didn't go for one of the HD platforms now that he has more publisher support) and De Blob. So, uh, yeah."
    Suda51 has said a milion times that he'd love to get the opportunity to make a big game on the Xbox 360 so it's not as if he's Nintendo's great yellow hope.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Al3xand3r

"Those things are pretty much only big in Japan where everyone is still pro-Nintendo. If the Wii was in HD while the 360 wasn't, you can bet they'd go for the Wii regardless."

Pretty much what I've been saying, market share is king, and not HD or not HD.

"Boy, those sure are highly anticipated titles you can compare to GTA, MGS, Halo, Gears of War, Killzone, Resistance, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry. Do I need to go on? Great, they're new IPs, but they're nothing major."

Uh, new (or ish) IP compared to established franchises like Resident Evil? I already gave examples of established franchises too anyway. What part of the world they're most popular in doesn't make a difference (not to mention big in Japan is a big portion of big worldwide) it only reinforces my "market share > HD" statements. But again I don't see this comparison you're making, we were discussing the same developer having platform preferences based purely on HD or not HD ability. I don't think any of those developers put out Wii titles, and isn't Resistance first party, and Rockstar is making a DS title anyway, not even Wii, kind of shows they couldn't care less for HD-only games either.

"Suda51 has said a milion times that he'd love to get the opportunity to make a big game on the Xbox 360 so it's not as if he's Nintendo's great yellow hope."

I never implied people don't want anything to do with 360/PS3 so, uh, so what? It's clear he also doesn't care for putting games on non-HD platforms considering NMH and now NMH2. You know?

And what about the now usual statements of how the high costs of development make many developers restricted in playing it safe? Surely the less costly platforms free them of that, and also guarantee higher profits thanks to the larger total install base. Hence all the new IP creations for the Wii and all the niche titles for the portables, which you can easily decide to shun and pit them "against" established franchises like Resident Evil 5, though I don't see the point in that.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By strangeling
    LiquidPrince said:
    "The truth is that no developer want's to produce games on the Wii when they can release an HD version of the game they imagine on the PS3 and 360, so most Wii games will turn out to be poor as a result. It doesn't completely matter that the Wii has the most sales, because developers say, "hey, I want to release my game in HD, because that's what I think it deserves." Consequently, the Wii will get ports and crappy games, just to make up money for any dollars lost on the development of bigger games releasing for that company."
    Not everyone cares solely about HD.
    That's only visual (and I guess audio), and there is so much more to a game than that.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#45  Edited By ArbitraryWater

How has this thread turned into a debate about how games are developed? It's fairly simple: Almost all games not made from the ground up for the wii are junk, Dead Rising is not suited to the wii due to the inferior processing power of the console,  and even though the wii still sells like hotcakes on a cold morning the only games being bought for it are Wii Play and Mario Kart.

All these things seem to indicate that the Wii version of Dead Rising won't make that much of a profit. Even though it probably cost like $12 to make, because it uses the RE4 engine and re-uses assets from the Xbox 360 version.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yeah you might wanna look up game sales before sprouting stuff like that, you know? Even games people thought didn't sell well, or even flopped, have actually sold sufficiently to warrant sequels, like EA's slow burner Boom Blox, THQ's De Blob (the companies were initially disappointed with reception for both of these) and Suda51's No More Heroes. Sure, certain Nintendo titles sell the most, but when the absolute top is games of many millions of sales, it's more than fine to be far into the top ten, twenty, or fifty even. Even Resident Evil 4's port sold over a million units early on (no clue what it's reached now). If Dead Rising gets less, it's only because of the quality, rather than some inherent Wii market weakness.

As for the lack of processing power, they could have easily done a new Dead Rising Wii that retained the spirit of the original more than this shoddy port, as even certain PS2 titles can handle more, and more detailed models on screen at once. Even Resident Evil 4, whose engine it uses, looks far, far superior and often has just as many far more detailed 'zombies' on screen than we've seen in the average Dead Rising Wii shot. The environments are also far more detailed. The result of Dead Rising Wii is simply due to its nature as a quick port from a second rate team, it has little to do with the actual platform's strengths or weaknesses. But hey, there's no reason to restate what Link said in the original post anyway, he summed it up nicely.

Other than that, no hard feelings against Capcom really. Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom and Monster Hunter 3 are clearly titles they put effort in, and I'll welcome both. As soon as I get an SD card for the former (;), as soon as it gets the inevitable Western release for the latter.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.