Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Capcom: "RE5 was possible on Wii, we were wrong."

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Willy105
    “At Resident Evil 5’s launch, it was announced that a Wii version was not technically possible. But after some of the work that Cavia has done (with RE: Darkside Chronicles), the producers of Resident Evil 5 over in Japan now think it is possible. Some of the light effects in the South America stage are pretty incredible. Whether it is going to come, I don’t know the answer to that question. But, it has been said that now at least it is possible.” 
    -Capcom 

Too late to admit it, I think, but hey.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

Hopefully they don't plan a port or anything like that but perhaps a new adventure after Darkside Chronicles. With their Framework engine being ported to Wii it's evident they plan on releasing more types of Wii games after all, otherwise they could continue using Cavia's robust engine.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By super_machine

The part that becomes more difficult is figuring out how they would make it work on wii. Saying you can get some nice lighting effects on wii and saying that means RE5 could be possible on the wii is totally different.  First off, the game engine would need to be optimized to deal with the wiis slower CPU and less memory. Then you have to de-res all your textures. Any shaders that use ray tracing would be history. Then you have to rebuild all your 3D assets ( character models, objects, and environments) with lower polygons because the wii cannot render the same amount of polys in game without being un playable. To make RE:5 on wii would mean a total re-build of the game, quite different than the Re4 wii make. I doubt capcom would put the time and money like that into developing this game for a system that sees diminishing returns on mature rated titles.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @super_machine said:

"Saying you can get some nice lighting effects on wii and saying that means RE5 could be possible on the wii is totally different."

Good that he clarified both those different cases are true then. He just pointed that the lighting stands out. RE5 is roughly RE4 HD. Take out some of the intensive effects and reduce the polycount to Darkside Chronicles levels (which is still okay) as well as the texture resolution (the detail of which wouldn't be visible in 480p anyway) and the experience is nearly intact. Add Wii controls already praised with the port of RE4 and you have a winner. As for what they're willing or not willing to do in terms of cost, eh, what? They've already got exclusive Wii games like Monster Hunter 3 (one of their biggest franchises) and Tatsunoko vs CAPCOM, you think a mere port would cost more than complete full new games? De-resing as you call it is hardly a costly procedure. Their interns could do it and it's most certainly nowhere near close to being a total rebuilt of any given game. The same for optimising models. But no, I don't think the game's going to be ported either, and I hope it won't be as I said in the last comment.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'm glad that a big developer can come out and admit they were wrong about something. You don't see that a whole lot these days.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By Icemael

Great. If they're going to port the game, I really hope they remove Sheva from the single player and fix the shitty inventory. Those are two of the three major issues that kept me from buying Resident Evil 5, and if they aren't fixed, I'm not buying the port(assuming there'll be one) either.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By TheHBK

Hmmm, I would say they should instead release it but change the main character to Leon.  Make sheeva a little girl who wont fuck up the game for you and turn the black zombies into white zombies, and make the game in spain so the white zombies fit....
    That would make a much better game.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By super_machine
    @Al3xand3r: I'm saying RE5 is built around a system pipeline that just will not work on wii. Modifying the game engine, lowering the texture res, and re modeling the entire game to reduce poly count is not just something they can do on a whim. My point is, it would be a major undertaking to put RE5 on the wii. That time and money would be better spent developing an original title from the ground up that is based around the wii hardware arcitecture. They can say they think its possibe, but I garauntee, it would not be the same game in the end. Its like RE4 and RE4 on iphone. Not the same.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

Sure, except it would be nothing like RE4 on iphone and my last comment stands true. If anything it's the programming of the engine that would be the bigger undertaking, reducing texture resolution and polycounts is something any noob intern modeler can do with some success fast.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By super_machine
    @Al3xand3r: I'm not trying to debate with you. This is just my opinion on the matter in terms of the technical and business aspect of this. On a technical side, I stand firm that Porting this game to wii would be harder than it seems and costly considering the wii as a platform for M rated titles is risky.  I work in CG, and de-resing textures is one click in photoshop. But doing that for an entire game and feeding all that back into the code would take some work. Re-modeling everything to reduce the poly count would be a lot of work. They just need to make more original RE IPs on the wii and leave RE5 alone. I think we can agree on that at least.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @super_machine said:

" @Al3xand3r: I'm not trying to debate with you."

I could tell. But thanks. And yes, it would be hard, hence why they thought it's impossible and now think it isn't. As for your process, if you had to do that for an entire game, I'm sure one of your programmers could cook up an image resizer for you. Model optimisation is something any modeler should be able to do. Yes, it would be time consuming, but the artists would probably still be done with all the content long before the actual engine's ported and optimised. Well, they turned out okay in Modern Warfare Reflex which was hardly properly backed by Activision giving only a few months time to Treyarch for it. With some more time, but still far from costing as much as a full new game, you could do much better job.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Rhaknar

if its going to look anything like modern warfare reflex, why even bother >_> of course thats my opinion, im sure people with just Wii's will disagree

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Rhaknar said:

" if its going to look anything like modern warfare reflex, why even bother >_> of course thats my opinion, im sure people with just Wii's will disagree "

Hi, I have been playing MW2 on PC and I disagree with your ridiculous "opinion" >_>
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Black_Rose
    @Rhaknar said:
    " if its going to look anything like modern warfare reflex, why even bother >_> of course thats my opinion, im sure people with just Wii's will disagree "
    I wouldn't be bothered if it looks like RE4: WE but better.  

Also, Reflex looks great considering the little money Activision invested in its development.  
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Griddler

Heh, you don't often hear publishers/developers say they're wrong..

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Jensonb

Maybe they should bring the game to Wii, the RE4 Wii Port is considered the best version of that game and since RE5 is very similar, this would probably be a pretty damn good game too.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @girdz said:
    " Heh, you don't often hear publishers/developers say they're wrong.. "
    When there's money to be made, people will say anything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.