Capcom software sells best on Wii during 2009 fiscal year.

#1 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

Source 

Capcom software sells best on Wii during 2009 fiscal year. 

During their fiscal presentation, Capcom revealed a platform breakdown for their software sales during the 2009 fiscal year (from April 1, 2009 to March 31, 2010). You can view the chart below: 

Nintendo Wii – 3.2 million units (8 new titles released during 2009 fiscal year) 

Playstation 3 – 2.7 million units (11 new titles released during 2009 fiscal year)
PSP – 2.4 million units (20 new titles released during 2009 fiscal year)
Xbox 360 – 1.7 million units (8 new titles released during 2009 fiscal year)
Nintendo DS – 1.0 million units (12 new titles released during 2009 fiscal year)
PC/Other – 900k (3 new titles released during 2009 fiscal year)
Playstation 2 – 600k (10 new titles released during 2009 fiscal year)

Despite having just eight new titles being release in the 2009 fiscal year, the Nintendo Wii lead other platforms with 3.2 million units of Capcom-published software sold. A bulk of the sales belongs to Monster Hunter Tri with 1.15 million units sold in Japan.  

Well, this shows that if you want to sell a game on the Wii, then make it a quality game (Just Dance excluded). 

But then you get this: 
Source  

Capcom planning to release 16 games for PS3, 12 for Xbox 360 and 6 for Wii during 2010 fiscal year

In their latest fiscal report, Capcom today revealed their plans for software releases during the 2010 fiscal year (from April 1, 2010 to March 31, 2011. In total, they are planning to release 75 SKUs and expect to achieve 20 million units in shipment during the next fiscal year. Here is a platform breakdown of Capcom’s release plans and shipment expectations: 

PSP – 19 new titles with 5 million units of planned shipment 
Playstation 3 – 16 new titles with 6 million units of planned shipment
Nintendo DS – 15 new titles with 1.7 million units of planned shipment
Xbox 360 – 12 new titles with 4.8 million units of planned shipment

Nintendo Wii – 6 new titles with 1.6 million units of planned shipment 

Playstation 2 – 5 new titles with 400k units of planned shipment
PC and Other – 2 new titles with 500k units of planned shipment

Keep in mind that the 2010 fiscal year for Capcom started on March 31. Thus, most of the new releases (Dead Rising 2, Lost Planet 2, Super Street Fighter IV, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, etc) are already known.

They don't have high expectations for this year, so we can safely assume they aren't making any titles of significant note.  Pity.  They do love the PSP however.
#2 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Well, this shows that if you want to sell a game on the Wii, then make it a quality game (Just Dance excluded).

No! There are lots of quality games on the Wii that didn't sell. This shows that i you want to sell a game on the Wii, give it marketing budget.  The marketing campaign for Monster Hunter Tri was huge - in Japan, North America, and Europe. There has never been a third party game on the Wii as heavily advertised for as Monster Hunter Tri - and whoops, its a million seller.
#3 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -
@oldschool:  I think it helps Capcom that they have a very recognisable brand name and a recognisable stable of franchise, although Meowayne's point about marketing budget is also solid. It's kind of lame that they're not doing much on the Wii for 2010, as they've largely done right by the console; 19 games for PSP is 19 games I will never play.
#4 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -
@Linkyshinks:  I hope so, I don't mind waiting a year though as I have a lot of good titles to catch up on.
#5 Edited by Shirogane (3576 posts) -

2 PC titles? Does that include the rumoured Megaman MMO? Madness... 

What are the PSP games? 19 seems like a lot. Somehow PSP games don't go well with me, i havn't played more than an hour of most of my psp games. 

Whoah whoah whoah, just noticed, 5 NEW PS2 titles?
#6 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
"

No! There are lots of quality games on the Wii that didn't sell. This shows that i you want to sell a game on the Wii, give it marketing budget.  The marketing campaign for Monster Hunter Tri was huge - in Japan, North America, and Europe. There has never been a third party game on the Wii as heavily advertised for as Monster Hunter Tri - and whoops, its a million seller. "
True.  A mixture of marketing and quality titles to be sure.  They are advertising the heck out of MH3 on television locally here, and every time I see the sailing ship, the tons, the monsters,  I just react by going, "man, I so have to get that game".  It helps a lot.  Considering my background is in marketing, it certainly goes against what I was taught, to just stick the product out there and see what happens. 

The 4Ps (as they were taught back in my day: 
Product 
Price 
Place 
Promotion 

Miss one and you will likely miss the sale.
#7 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@owl_of_minerva said:
"19 games for PSP is 19 games I will never play. "  

@Shirogane said:
" What are the PSP games? 19 seems like a lot. Somehow PSP games don't go well with me, i havn't played more than an hour of most of my psp games. 

Whoah whoah whoah, just noticed, 5 NEW PS2 titles? "
It is also 19 PSP games I am highly unlikely to ever play.  I buy 2-3 PSP games a year at most, and only when really cheap as I just can't enjoy using a PSP.  Seems to me they would be better spreading some of that to the DS and the Wii. 

And yes - 5 PS2 titles and 6 Wii?  That just seems really silly now.
#8 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -

I know people who LOVE Just Dance.

They are obviously doing something right.

#9 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Willy105 said:
" I know people who LOVE Just Dance.  They are obviously doing something right. "
True (it isn't a Capcom game though, I just used it as an example).  It averaged about 50 on Metacritic and sold in the millions.  Something must be working.  I am not their target demographic, so I don't count.  When they bring out Just Shuffle, I am there  :/
#10 Posted by Shirogane (3576 posts) -
@oldschool:
I'm not so sure about the PS2 thing being silly, considering the number of people that have one, and that they're still selling. 

I can't play stuff on the PSP either, i think Chinatown Wars was the only thing i played to any real extent on it, and even then i just finished the story and stopped. 

Monster Hunter Tri doesn't interest me cause i'm not into Monster Hunter games. Have 1 for the PSP, it's just not my thing. That and i know nobody will play it with me. I have no friends.
#11 Posted by PenguinDust (12523 posts) -

The Japanese love their Monster Hunter. That's also one of the reasons why the PSP was number two on this list.

#12 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -
@Shirogane:  I'd be looking for people to Tri with in the near future, once I've got a copy. I've never played another Monster Hunter game, but it looks good, markedly better than the PSP games.
#13 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Shirogane said:
" @oldschool: I'm not so sure about the PS2 thing being silly, considering the number of people that have one, and that they're still selling.  I can't play stuff on the PSP either, i think Chinatown Wars was the only thing i played to any real extent on it, and even then i just finished the story and stopped.  Monster Hunter Tri doesn't interest me cause i'm not into Monster Hunter games. Have 1 for the PSP, it's just not my thing. That and i know nobody will play it with me. I have no friends. "
By silly I mean it is really in decline, badly and look at the numbers - 600k for 10 titles, or just 60k a game and this year they are hoping for an optimistic 80k a game, which is still very low.  Maybe 5 of them are Wii/PS2 and PSP games, which is  nearly always a really bad thing (for the Wii version). 

Why no friends - do you smell  :/
#14 Posted by Shirogane (3576 posts) -
@owl_of_minerva:  
From what i've seen it's still got the stuff about Monster Hunter that i didn't like, that said, i didn't play a lot, maybe i'll go back and try out my psp one again and actually get into it.
@oldschool:
I know people, but can you really call them friends if they refuse to buy a Wii and play games with you on it? 

What were the 10 titles they released for ps2 last year?
#15 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Shirogane said:
" @oldschool: I know people, but can you really call them friends if they refuse to buy a Wii and play games with you on it?  What were the 10 titles they released for ps2 last year? "
If they won't buy a Wii then clearly they are not friends.  You need to hang out around the local primary school or Nursing Home, so you can find new friends with a Wii  ^_^ 

I live remote, and at my age, I have no friends who play video games as such, and without a viable internet connection or desire to play online, I would be a total gaming loner without my kids.  As it is they will both be gone in 1 and 3 years.  I am going to have to adopt, and I still have my eye on a 17 year old Korean girl  :/ 

I have no idea what they released on the PS2, but I assume it is in Japan only as I haven't seen a new PS2 game that wasn't Singstar, Buzz or a kids cartoon in over a year.
#16 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

The reason for this is simple.  Capcom released 2 new disk based PS3 and 360 games in FY 2009, Dark Void and Bionic Commando (the GRIN game), yet they released Monster Hunter Tri (huge Japanese success) and TvC on Wii in the West.

SF4 and RE5 were FY 2008 games, SSF4, LP2, DR2...  all FY 2010 games.

#17 Posted by Blueman (753 posts) -

This is great news, it might convince other publishers to take the Wii seriously and release some great games that the platform deserves.

#18 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

So...instead of releasing more games on the system they sold the most games on, they're releasing by far the fewest.  Once again, their logic sucks.

#19 Posted by ThomasP (1656 posts) -

I agree with the conclusion that advertising increases sales.

#20 Posted by Shirogane (3576 posts) -
@oldschool:
Those first two paragraphs have just doubled your creepiness rating. And it was already pretty damn high. 

Looking up the capcom 2009 ps2 releases didn't get me anywhere, all i found was that one of them may have been a re-release of Fate/Unlimited codes. But that could have been talking about the PSP version. Even if it wasn't that's a jap only game.
#21 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

19 new games on PSP? Good support. 

But yeah I guess this helps 3rd party on Wii.

#22 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Shirogane said:
" @oldschool: Those first two paragraphs have just doubled your creepiness rating. And it was already pretty damn high.  Looking up the capcom 2009 ps2 releases didn't get me anywhere, all i found was that one of them may have been a re-release of Fate/Unlimited codes. But that could have been talking about the PSP version. Even if it wasn't that's a jap only game. "
Come on, that isn't creepy, that is the Woody Allen (Sun Yi?) joke.  Everyone gets that right?  Geez, young people today not getting pop culture references  :/
#23 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

Wait didn't a Monster Hunter game come out on the Wii... 

Well that kind of throws off the numbers

#24 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Whisperkill said:
" Wait didn't a Monster Hunter game come out on the Wii...  Well that kind of throws off the numbers "
That was already mentioned - 1.5 million of those sales.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.