Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Connecting the Wii to the internet - my problem.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

I recently had broadband connected to my home, but, it is satellite.

Now, I am aware that games will not run due to lag (the moment it takes for the signal to reach) and I can live with that, but I did expect to be able to connect to the Wii Shop to download VC and Wiiware games.  Apparently not.

Every attempt to connect fails, yet my DS will connect.  This leaves me perplexed.  If one connects, why not the other.  Advance Wars played fine online btw.

Am I missing something.  I just simply use the automatic search and it picks up my router's signal.  Then the test connection fails.  Should I be doing something else?  Should I use the manual connection?  That looks complicated and requires me to search for lots of codes, but if it works, I am game.

Any advice appreciated, but if you know that I cannot get online at all with a satellite broadband connection, tell me.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Gizmo

It's probably some complicated technical problem with your ports or something, I had a similar problem when trying to connect my Xbox to my laptop.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldschool
    Gizmo said:
    "It's probably some complicated technical problem with your ports or something, I had a similar problem when trying to connect my Xbox to my laptop."
    God, I hope it isn't really complicated.  I have limitations dammit!
    Just in case someone asks, I am running a Belkin router.  That is connected to an iMac, which runs Windows as well, as does my Macbook.  They are all working fine, except I can't connect Windows to the internet via the router on the iMac - no idea why as the Macbook is fine.
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Endogene

Did you notice that you can change the type of security key used in the connection menu of the wii? I didnt notice at first so i was unable to connect until i did.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
    Endogene said:
    "Did you notice that you can change the type of security key used in the connection menu of the wii? I didnt notice at first so i was unable to connect until i did."
    Tell me more :)
    I notice that it gives 4 options:
    WEP
    WPA-PSK (TKIP)
    WPA-PSK (AES)
    WPA2-PSK (AES)

They ask for the password or key.  Is that information from the router and if so, where is that information?

What about the other questions?:
    Auto-Obtain IP Address (Y/N)
    Auto-Obtain DNS (Y/N)
    Proxy Server (Use/Don't Use)
    MTU value

BTW, the error code I get upon failure is 101405.  I assume that means nothing, but just in case.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By oldschool
    It just got more annoying today.

I had problem getting my Windows online with my iMac connected to the router (even though it worked on the Macbook).  So, after a long phone call to a lovely lady in India, I managed to get Windows working.  Whilst I had her on the phone, I tried to fix my problem with the Wii.

Didn't work.  In fact, after setting the security on on router (it wasn't set before) I can no longer connect the DS to the internet.  You see, the router uses WAP and the DS only uses WEP.  I can't even find how to turn the security off if I want to use the DS and the Wii still doesn't work.  I tried entering it all manually, but that just failed.

I give up ......... unless someone knows all.
    vaultboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By vaultboy
    Nintendo - Wii Wi-Fi Compatibility Issues - There are Belkin routers listed here, you might want to make sure yours isn't one of them.
    Nintendo - How to Connect a Wii
    Nintendo - Troubleshooting Wireless Routers
    Belkin - WEP Setup

Also, I did some searching and it looks like Wii's sometimes don't like Belkin's using WPA, but WEP @128 (and 64) will work alright.  If you've done a lot of fiddling with your router settings trying to get the Wii to work, you might want to try resetting the router and starting from scratch.  This will allow you to revert back to WEP.  I would think if your DS is able to find the router, then your Wii should as well (you may just need to do a manual connection).  And last, changing your port should be really easy to do, so once you get back on WEP and have your DS hooked up, it's just going back in to the router settings and changing a number.

Also, based on your error code, you probably just had to provide your WEP key.  Now that you're on WPA you could probably provide that password, but it wouldn't solve the DS not working.
    Error Code: 101405

There was a problem registering the console to the WiiConnect24 service. What to do:
    • If you have multiple routers and/or modems, try to connect to no more than one router and one modem try connecting from another location.
    • If you are using only one modem or router, something on your network or from your Internet Service Provider is blocking the connection. You may need to contact your service provider for more information.
    • If you do not have the ability to connect from another location (such as a friend's house), please call 1-800-255-3700 so that we may discuss available opt

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.