Do component cables make that much of a difference?

#1 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I just realised I have standard cables that came with my Wii, so I should probably get the component cables.

Right?

#2 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -

You get a sharper image with 480p, but because of that, jaggies are much more prominent. It won't be a huge graphical upgrade, but if you can get them, it wouldn't hurt.

#3 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

The difference is huge compared to composite. With RGB the difference is less apparent, but still big enough to warrant a purchase.

#4 Posted by Melvargh (517 posts) -

It looks significantly better. Composite is like having vaseline smeared all over the screen.

Also, are you running an HDTV? Because component won't really do anything on an SDTV.

#5 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

It is a marked improvement.

#6 Posted by billyhoush (1195 posts) -

Games like Mario Galaxy and Wii Sports whatever will look great in 480p on HDTVs but I remember it made No More Heros into a jagged mess.

#7 Posted by bkbroiler (1642 posts) -

Just keep your old cables around so you can switch back in case the particular game upgraded to ugly.

Component cables always made my games look much better, though. And I was using an SDTV.

#8 Posted by gorkamorkaorka (446 posts) -

@Melvargh said:

It looks significantly better. Composite is like having vaseline smeared all over the screen.

Also, are you running an HDTV? Because component won't really do anything on an SDTV.

Be careful about what's an SDTV or not. I have a CRT "EDTV" that can support 480p. I have had bad experiences with 480p games looking blurry on LCD's (might have been just a bad TV) but PS2 games with component hook ups look amazing.

#9 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I have a HD TV, and I'll probbaly pick these up Tommorow, thanks Duders!

#10 Posted by MeldingPlague (43 posts) -

I just got some component cables for my Wii the other day after seeing that the generic brand was $6.00 on Amazon. Your mileage may vary depending on where you shop and your location. Regardless, I've noticed a big improvement. The screen as a whole looks less blurry, which was a big problem for me because using AV cables made me feel like I had to squint the entire time just to see in the distance or read text. Naturally, this made using my Wii rather unpleasant. The cables, in conjunction with the 480p setting on the Wii, make everything just a bit more crisp. You're not going to get the level of clarity you might have come to expect from the PS3 or the 360, but the improvement is noticeable over the standard Wii setup. I recommend them if you've got the cash-munnies lying around.

#12 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Tesco did not have them, so I'm gonna order some off of Amazon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.