Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Do you think there will be a Wii 2...or something different?

RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RJay_64

I'd be disappointed if Nintendo's next console was just an enhanced Wii.  Then again, it seems like the logical pattern considering they went from NES to Super NES and those were their 2 major sellers

Akel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Akel

NES->SNES (Gamepad, 2d pixels) 
    Gameboy->Gameboy Advance (Basic Portable gaming)
    N64->Gamecube  (Analog stick, 3d roaming)
    DS/DSi->3DS (Not sure if valid)
    Wii->? (motion/ir control)

Yeah, it's most logical that Wii Whatever (super hd 2) will probably just be an enhancement of the Wii.  That's usually their basic strategy. First go in with some innovation, then expand/beef it up. Innovation is too risky to do continuously. Even with the Wii and DS they played it safe by minimizing costs(using underpowered hardware, minimal features) so that even if it did fail, it wouldn't have hurt much. And now that they've succeeded they can just offer a better graphics/processing solution.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By VWGTI
    @Akel said:
    " NES->SNES (Gamepad, 2d pixels)  Gameboy->Gameboy Advance (Basic Portable gaming)N64->Gamecube  (Analog stick, 3d roaming) DS/DSi->3DS (Not sure if valid)Wii->? (motion/ir control)  Yeah, it's most logical that Wii Whatever (super hd 2) will probably just be an enhancement of the Wii.  That's usually their basic strategy. First go in with some innovation, then expand/beef it up. Innovation is too risky to do continuously. Even with the Wii and DS they played it safe by minimizing costs(using underpowered hardware, minimal features) so that even if it did fail, it wouldn't have hurt much. And now that they've succeeded they can just offer a better graphics/processing solution. "
    Very interesting observation.
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By RVonE

You mean a Wiiii?
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By trophyhunter

nope they are still selling out

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By CharleyTony

my personal guess would be a new wii that would be more powerful ( how about equal to the ps3 ? ). It could have HD graphics, support for wii accessories but offer a wii motion plus in every new remote, nd should have a better sensor bar ( maybe a high tech camera)... 
     but the real thing is that nintendo wont replace a console that is making so much money except if they can makesomething really profitable from the start or if they fel that the competition is catching up a lot.
    ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By ISuperGamerI

Didn't they announce that they are creating a Wii HD in the near future?

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fenixrevolution

I hope it's got a different name, Wii HD just sounds so lazy. But their naming of the 3DS proves they aren't above being uninventive.

j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By j_drace

It will be something different, but it will build off of the foundation that the Wii has set forth.  I hope that makes sense.

j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By j_drace
    @Akel said:
    " NES->SNES (Gamepad, 2d pixels)  Gameboy->Gameboy Advance (Basic Portable gaming)N64->Gamecube  (Analog stick, 3d roaming) DS/DSi->3DS (Not sure if valid)Wii->? (motion/ir control)  Yeah, it's most logical that Wii Whatever (super hd 2) will probably just be an enhancement of the Wii.  That's usually their basic strategy. First go in with some innovation, then expand/beef it up. Innovation is too risky to do continuously. Even with the Wii and DS they played it safe by minimizing costs(using underpowered hardware, minimal features) so that even if it did fail, it wouldn't have hurt much. And now that they've succeeded they can just offer a better graphics/processing solution. "
    @Akel: You can look at this two different ways.  One way would be the way that you're looking at it and sign it's simply an enhancement and the second would be to say it's innovative.  Like I said in my earlier post it's something different, but it improves off of it's predecessor.  The jump from NES to SNES was huge because it was going from 8Bit to 16Bit.  Gameboy to GBA was also huge.  N64 to GC was pretty big too.  GC to WII was astronomically huge.  When you look at it now the changes seem minor, but imagine going from a D-Pad to 360 degree movement or a wired controller to a wireless remote that can be manipulated in so many ways.  Then 2D to 3D.  Think about it.
    Orangefreak92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Orangefreak92

Maybe they'll go back to their roots and call it ...Wii-NES?

Yeah, you can smack me now.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel

It's likely that whatever Nintendo follows the Wii with will have motion control of some sort.  I'd also be surprised if it wasn't backwards-compatible with Wii games.  Still, given the unpredictable nature of Nintendo hardware announcements, I'm not putting any money on when and what Nintendo will announce as a Wii follow-up.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By awesomeusername

I read on GameInformer once that this guy said that he thinks Nintendo will drop support for the wii one day because the lack of games or something like that. They shouldn't make a new console for a very long time. Maybe in 10 years, when they can make something revolutionary.

Dahlia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dahlia
    @awesomeusername said:
    " I read on GameInformer once that this guy said that he thinks Nintendo will drop support for the wii one day because the lack of games or something like that. They shouldn't make a new console for a very long time. Maybe in 10 years, when they can make something revolutionary. "
    I find that very hard to believe, or take serious for that matter since Nintendo's biggest strength over its competition has always been backwards compatibility.
    Avatar image for anamericanpatriot
    AnAmericanPatriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeusername:  
    10 YEARS? There's NO way Nintendo is GOING TO NOT make another piece of HARDWARE for 10 years. Even if THEY CAN keep pumping OUT THE quality games, AT SOME point the hardware sales WILL DROP and that's when THEY GO back to the drawing BOARD.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I hope not, fuck the Wii. 

Please note Claude, I love you and hope that out differences will not set us apart. ^__^

heathkidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By heathkidd

with Pokemon Black and White having more connectivity with the Internet than the Wii.. maybe there next console will be a literal vertual console.. on the internet. Than actual hardware.

The DS/Wii/3DS all use a very mouse like input method remember.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By MikkaQ

Wii HD would be a terrible name. Super Wii would be terrible too, but in a way I can get excited about. I'd buy a Super Wii.  

I think they'll probably continue down this path for at least one more console, though it's not like they have any obligation to, they made money on every bit of hardware sold, and the motion controls and other bits of hardware are so low-tech for what we have these days, that it doesn't seem like they invested a lot in the platform's development. They could entirely walk away from motion control with nothing but profits.  

Still kinda pissed about Nintendo not giving enough of a shit about attach rates. Nintendo's picked a quick n' dirty route to a lot of money in a formerly untapped market, but those people have zero brand loyalty, so as soon as these other motion accessories for other consoles come out, people will buy those, buy two games for them and move on. They don't stick with companies, they don't buy games, it's a market you can't keep selling things too, and I hope Nintendo will eventually realize there's a middle ground that they need to occupy. They completely alienated the long-standing fans of Nintendo. The DS is an amazing platform with a great mix of family friendly games, and more involving traditional games, and that's why it's the most successful piece of damn gaming hardware still available. They need to make a console more like the DS in terms of game selection.  

This post turned out to be longer than I expected haha. 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By Claude
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " I hope not, fuck the Wii.  Please note Claude, I love you and hope that out differences will not set us apart. ^__^ "
    There's a song in here somewhere. A sad song.

Whatever it will be... I'm buying.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.