Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Don King Boxing?

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Meowayne

Greetings. After I remembered how much fun Wii Sports Boxing can be (as seen here) in the Punch-Out!!-thread, I stumbled upon this game, which is released this friday.

Yeah, the trailer is pretty bad, like they usually are, and I don't really expect anything from the game, but I couldn't find a single review, preview, or anything. Does anyone know or have something about the game? I'm thinking of trying it out.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well, if it half works it's probably entertaining, but not purchase entertaining! Save for ze good gaems! EXCITE SOON!

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Meowayne

I did not say purchase. I said trying out.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gizmo

The problem with Wii sports game is they look like crap, but are really realistic gameplay wise.

But with Xbox and PS3 sports games, they look really nice yet lack that realism.

I think you would probably be better off getting two pairs of boxing gloves to be honest.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Meowayne

No one cares about system wars.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

You know that's a lie. I wish it was true.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Well the xbox Don King Prizefighter got fairly bad reviews.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

He didn't make it, Take Two wanted a game and they figured adding him in would make it more popular. At least I imagine so. Maybe he did?

ishotmrburns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By ishotmrburns

I thought Don King was dead. Then I checked his wiki. Then I found this:

No Caption Provided

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Meowayne

So I took a shot at this game just now. It seems like a solid title. Granted, it looks like total garbage, but the control scheme does seem to be pretty nice.
     You start with entering your name by punching lettered punching bags - nice. : )
    There seem to be a lot of modes, including a wiifit-like training mode that tracks your skill. The game was made for the balance board, but you can play it just fine without. You can move the fighter yourself with the nunchuck analogue stick. Normal punches and hooks are made with gestures, but special attacks and defense mode are triggered with button presses. And you know, that's what I am hoping not to see anymore with MotionPlus, having to hold down a button so the game recognizes I am doing something different now.

Fighting is more sophisticated than it is in Wii Sports, with different energy bars, and minus the hassle - again, you don't get very far by just swinging your hands around like crazy, and the game does a better job than Wii Sports in telling you that dodging and defence is whats really important. And you actually have to work it to get up again when you're down. This is something we always did in Wii Sports Boxing - Shaking the Wiimote and Nunchuck like crazy when you're down. It seems like a natural choice, as you really get pretty worked out and tired in longer boxing matches and thus might just choose to give up because you're actually - not just virtually - finished.

So, yeah. It's a Boxing game with motion controlled punching (and ducking/dodging if you have a balance board!), the controls work and as such it's really difficult not to have fun with it, even if you'd never buy a boxing (or generally, sports) game. (Like me.)

Ugly, but nice. I would never, ever, even remotely consider playing a boxing game on X360 or PS3, but this here is actually very entertaining. Simply because of waggle.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r

Don't forget, punch out also gots balance board support. But nice you're having fun prior to its release :P

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Meowayne

shhhh.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r

:( wut

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Black_Rose

Considering how bad Boxing games have been so far, I can only expect this one to be crappy

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Meowayne
    Black_Rose said:
    "Considering how bad Boxing games have been so far, I can only expect this one to be crappy"
    People don't read posts longer than 3 lines, huhm? : (
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Black_Rose
    Meowayne said:
    "Black_Rose said:
    "Considering how bad Boxing games have been so far, I can only expect this one to be crappy"
    People don't read posts longer than 3 lines, huhm? : ("
    I had this tab opened for a while but hadn't posted because I was watching the conference, so i missed your post. Don't be an ass
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Meowayne

So I played Don King Boxing with a Balance Board today. And I must say, I was pretty entertained. From what I've played til now, some impressions:

- Quite elaborate control scheme:
    Forward motion for a jab, sidewards motion for a hook, upwards motion for uppercuts
    These three can be modified in three ways, which can themselves be combined in every way: Left/Right, Head/Body(Hold B/Z), Special Attack (Hold C)
    You cover by pressing A and can then dodge like you do in Wii Sports, OR if you have a Balance Board you just dodge yourself whenever you feel like it. The Balance Board really adds to the intuitivity and fun.
    - When you're down, you can get up again by shaking the Wiimote/Nunchuck (teh waggle!) as fast as you can, if you have strength left (Yes, I'm talking about real-life strength here, not some ingame bar).
    The IGN UK review complained about the controls, but I don't know what game they were playing. I didn't find it difficult to execute the punches that I wanted.

- There's a career more with a story presented in live-action interviews with boxing celebs (?) and Don King himself, which seem to have been made specifically for the game
    - There are many training modes with a lot of different modes and tracking of your work a la Wii Fit; Training actually improves your stats for the Career mode!
    - Multiplayer and quick battles. No online MP.
    - matches take a lot of skill, improving your stats in training mode is recommendable.

So yeah. As I said, I have no interest in sports or sports games, least of all boxing; and I know nothing of the sport. This time, I'm only in it for the motion controls.
    And that has paid off quite well with this title.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.