Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Downloads straight to SD

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Nintendo will be offering a slightly easier method of Downloading content.

Announced today, Nintendo will allow Wii owners to download games and content straight to an SD Card at a much quicker rate than the regular Wii Menu transfer.

Also, the rate of transfer between copying games to and from the SD card to the Wii Menu will be greatly improved.

What isn't clear is if games could actually be played directly from the SD card or not, it is likely that the functionality of this update will be spoke of in more depth at Nintendo's US Press Conference later today.

This update is expected in Spring next year via a Firmware update.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By ArcBorealis

Atleast it eliminates cleaning out the fridge, and that's a VERY good thing.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By AndrewGaspar

About time...

More excited for downloadable DS games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
    deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Ya I just want to be able to play directly from the SD

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#5  Edited By vigorousjammer

if we can play directly from the SD card, then FUCK YEAH!

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Vigorousjammer said:
    "if we can play directly from the SD card, then FUCK YEAH!"
    Wow, haven't heard from you in a looooong time.
    Roy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Roy42

I'm curious as to how to they will manage the interface, if someone, like me, has over 48 channels, will you be able to say that you want to display only what you have on the sd card or only on the wii, or if they will increase the number of slots available.

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Dark_Link142

From Gamespot...
    9:23] "Iwata is addressing the problem of Wii storage," he says. "Soon you will be able to download and store virtual console and WiiWare titles directly on your SD card, and play them off your SD card. This will make the Wii download experience much easier."

I think it's safe to assume we'll be able to run games straight off SD cards.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

Other websites had your quote without the bold parts. Let's hope the GameSpot one is the more accurate one.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By ArcBorealis

Just realized how this "solution" might actually benefit, after going around on the net.

The description that Iwata gave:

“We will make it so that, when there is not enough room on the Wii’s internal memory, you will be able to purchase and download Virtual Console and WiiWare software directly from the Shopping Channel to an SD memory card. We will also make it so that you will need to go through just one process in order to transfer Virtual Console or WiiWare software stored on an SD card to the Wii console and then be able to play it. We would like to deal with this issue utilizing two methods. Since the updates to realize these new structures will require significant revisions to the Wii system, and these changes need to be made by taking care of a variety of different angles, this method will become effective beginning next spring. For some of you, this may be considered late. But please know that we really appreciate your cooperation and understanding. We are working hard so we can begin the service as soon as possible.” - Satoru Iwata

This "one process" hasn't been fully detailed, but looking at another game for the wii that's coming, there seems to be some similarities in the use of the SD cards.

Info on Guitar Hero World Tour DLC for Wii: "Wii users will be able to store downloaded songs on either the Wii's internal memory or on an SD Card in a "Rock Archive," and then will be able to add songs to playlists from this. When playing tracks stored on an SD Card, each song is automatically copied to a "content cache" on the Wii's flash memory for play and then deleted after the song is finished. This will require about 200 free memory blocks on the Wii."

There is a chance that this Storage method from Nintendo may be done in the same manner as GH: WT. It's gonna make it look like your playing your games off of the SD card, but it's temporarily transfering files to the internal memory, and it will be back on the SD card when your done.

I think that sounds legit. But I'm not saying this is 100% guaranteed for Nintendo. Still, theres always a chance.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Sounds good. Storage only recently became a bother for me, but what a bother it is.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Black_Rose

I've never been bothered by storage, but once i find my USB adapter and start downloading WiiWare games it's going to become annoying so i can't wait for this.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Willy105

I don't see how this makes any difference, or why it was needed.

Sparkcil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sparkcil
    Does this mean that you'd be able to take VC and WWare games to other people's Wii's?
    I'm guessing they'll find some way to system-lock this (people could sell eachother games when they're done with them, then).

Even more importantly…
    Doesn't that mean that somehow, people will get the VC/WW game files online, where people will download them onto their SD cards (similar to how people download SSBB files online, or other saves)?

Avatar image for luckywanderdude
    LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

I wish we could transfer VC games to DS....

Roy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Roy42
    Sparkcil said:
    "
    Does this mean that you'd be able to take VC and WWare games to other people's Wii's?
    I'm guessing they'll find some way to system-lock this (people could sell eachother games when they're done with them, then).
    No, right now you can't play a VC or WW game on a different console than the one you bought it on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.