Dragon Quest X - Nearing End of Development

#1 Edited by Contro (2040 posts) -
Square Enix's Yuji Horii has been speaking to Nintendo Power Magazine. 

This is from the latest issue: 

Nintendo Power: Do you see any advantages to making Dragon Quest on a home console again?

Yuji Horii: The next Dragon Quest game, Dragon Quest X, will actually be released on Wii. I feel that some Will users want to play Dragon Quest on the big screen, which Is why we are working toward releasing it on Wii. Of course, in the future we might develop for handhelds again, so it's really a case-by-case basis. It all depends on what the customer wants. Something else is that we hear players want a new Dragon Quest that follows the Sami system of Dragon Quest VIII, so that's something were taking Into consideration while we're developing Dragon Quest on Wii.

Nintendo Power: Is it development Dragon Quest X Proceeding Smoothly?

Yuji Horii: All we can say Is that cevelopment Is going well and we're on the last part of the game. We can not really share any more at this point. When it is finished we should be able to announce something regarding it.
#2 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

Update:

If one believes the echoes from Japan, the highly anticipated Dragon Quest X will emerge in 2012.

"Development is underway for a release in the course of next year"  

His comments are in line with recent statements by the games creator Yuji Horii, who referred to a possible announcement in this months Nintendo Power.
#3 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
@Contro:  
Dragon Quest IX already felt like a powerful console game in my hands. 

I'm looking forward to X, as I am just getting into the DQ series.
#4 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

Great news, stoked to play more DQ.

#5 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -
@Emilio

I thought it was pretty weak in the grand scheme of things, it was a charming game, Level- 5 did a great job, but I expected so much more in this age of the franchise.

Square's Yoichi Wada recently said the coimpany are well aware of the strong calls for the game to now appear on WiiU, but he said this was unlikely because of the high userbase numbers for Wii. So, the plan now is to make feature inclusions into the Wii game that are compatible with WiiU's controller, when the game is played via a WiiU.
#6 Edited by vidiot (2737 posts) -

While I'm excited for a new Dragon Quest game, I'm still kinda hankering for something akin to Dragon Quest VIII in HD. 
Give me a second while I reminisce...

I MISS YOU DRAGON QUEST VIII!!!!
*ahem*

Actually this is good news. My understanding was that they were pretty far along, and there has been speculation on the internet regarding them shifting over to Wii-U. Let's get this sucker out as soon as possible. Although for a game that's nearing the end of development, it seems they've been keeping this game under lock-and-key.
#7 Posted by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -

I wonder if Nintendo or Square will localize and release this in North America or will it sit on a shelf like Xenoblade and Last Story?

#8 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
@ImpendingFoil:  

It will come.
#9 Posted by PenguinDust (12514 posts) -

It sold a bit over a million units in North America and Europe which is considerably less than any Pokemon game, but about as much as Final Fantasy III, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Crime, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 and about twice as many as DQ VI, V or Chrono Trigger in those regions.  Basically, DQ IX has been their most successful DQ outside of Japan since DQ VIII.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.