Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Earthbound May Not Land in North America

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

No Caption Provided

Sadly, Earthbound may never be available on Nintendo's Virtual Console service in the US due to potential legal issues.

Last May the ERSB rated the title, and it was naturally assumed by many that the SNES RPG classic had made it onto the service with no complications. However, according to GoNintendo those who did may be wrong.

There may be issues with a notable amount of Earthbound's soundtrack using samples/sounding very similar to commercial tracks- Listen Here

It's believed NCL won't approve changes NoA have requested, so it seems the title won't be released on the service in the NA, until this matter is resolved.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By albedos_shadow

:(

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Hmmm it seems rather odd that this is having problems yet the original snes release never did.
    Nintendo never seems willing to do work and push for its true fans, Earthbound is a underground hit and regardless of what people say it would easily sell a million based on that cult hit status alone let alone new fans, They could have easily released it on the VC along with the NES version which had a trasnlation, and they could have released Mother 1+2 GBA over here and they could have released mother 3 but seem not to want too cause it would be too much work to make fans happy.

bigcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By bigcheese

More reason to search for an SNES. I really want one.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Hmmm it seems rather odd that this is having problems yet the original snes release never did.
    Nintendo never seems willing to do work and push for its true fans, Earthbound is a underground hit and regardless of what people say it would easily sell a million based on that cult hit status alone let alone new fans, They could have easily released it on the VC along with the NES version which had a trasnlation, and they could have released Mother 1+2 GBA over here and they could have released mother 3 but seem not to want too cause it would be too much work to make fans happy.
    "

It's nowhere near as simple as you make out William. Firstly, in respect to your last point, Nintendo's Reggie knows full well how badly fans want the game, he has said already that Nintendo will be doing everything in their power to bring the game to the US. He said so early last year.

These legal issues are not minor, there are musical tracks in the game that pay "homage" to Beatles tracks, that's not something that can be overlooked so easily. The threat of being sued by such a company could be very costly.

As I state in the OP, NoA has asked for the soundtrack to be amended, but NCL simply said no. That could be down to Itoi-sanat APE, since he holds the rights and may feel his creation would lose much of it's charm and appeal if such musical tracks were removed from the game.

This is the original link to the source article that GoNintendo have used, it explains things in greater detail. I suggest you read it before continuing to claim Nintendo does not care about making their fans happy.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Linkyshinks said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Hmmm it seems rather odd that this is having problems yet the original snes release never did.
    "

It's nowhere near as simple as you make out William. Firstly, in respect to your last point, Nintendo's Reggie knows full well how badly fans want the game, he has said already that Nintendo will be doing everything in their power to bring the game to the US. He said so early last year.

These legal issues are not minor, there are musical tracks in the game that pay "homage" to Beatles tracks, that's not something that can be overlooked so easily. The threat of being sued by such a company could be very costly.

As I state in the OP, NoA has asked for the soundtrack to be amended, but NCL simply said no. That could be down to Itoi-sanat APE, since he holds the rights and may feel his creation would lose much of it's charm and appeal if such musical tracks were removed from the game.

This is the original link to the source article that GoNintendo have used, it explains things in greater detail. I suggest you read it before continuing to claim Nintendo does not care about making their fans happy.

"

Don't worry yourself over him. He's just retarded.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Linkyshinks said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    "

"

Don't worry yourself over him. He's just retarded.
    "

There's no need for that ;). He's not, he just has a very biased opinion that perhaps blinds him to what's happening at Nintendo and why..

I don't at all, even if some others clearly do from what I have noticed at times. I actually genuinely like his posts and welcome them, I find them a little chuckle worthy and consistent in respect to Nintendo. And I say that with no slight at all.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By Bullet_Jr

Fuck that, I'll riot.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Bullet_Jr said:
    "Fuck that, I'll riot.
    "

I will too if the same legal issues apply here also.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.