Favorite 2D Mario Title? (not sure if Yoshi's Island counts...so I'm excluding it)

#1 Posted by RJay_64 (631 posts) -
#2 Posted by JJOR64 (19023 posts) -

For me it's a tie between Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3.

#3 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3487 posts) -

Super Mario World easily. That hill has a band-aid on it ;) 

#4 Posted by Persecution89 (44 posts) -

Super Mario Bros. 3 for me.. it was my very first video game and still one of my favourites. 
I still have the cartridge too, but my NES died a long time ago.. so i play it on Wii now lol. 

Seriously thank god for the Nintendo Wii and it's large list of classic games to play on the Virtual Console.
#5 Posted by ColinRyan (295 posts) -

Super Mario World. I play through it at least once every two months. Its a fantastic game.

#6 Posted by Robiin (297 posts) -

Super Mario World. Love everything about it.

#7 Posted by Akel (147 posts) -

Mario 3. Maybe it's just the nostalgia, but I like the way it looks more than Mario World. That and some of the suits were really cool.

#8 Posted by Funzzo (835 posts) -

what about mario land 3 Warioland.

#9 Posted by TheHBK (5506 posts) -

No, Yoshi's Island doesn't count.

#10 Edited by fuzzyponken (694 posts) -

I have no nostalgia for the old ones as I played very little of them as a child on account of not having a NES, so I have to go with New Super Mario Bros. Wii since it's obviously superior if you put them all side by side and scrutinize them by todays standards. .  

Although, Wario Land: Shake It! is still one of my favorite 2D games this generation and I'd rate that higher than NSMBW. It was actually the main reason I bought a Wii for, but I guess that's technically not a Mario game. 

#11 Posted by CitizenKane (10507 posts) -
#12 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Super Mario World... I have so many fond memories of that game.

#13 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

A tie between Yoshi's Island, World, 3, and Land 2. As well as 64.

#14 Posted by myketuna (1725 posts) -

I say Super Mario Bros. 3. It's my favorite game of all time, but Super Mario World is pretty close behind it. Only reason SMB3 bests World to me is SMB3 is more like the original SMB (and the best of those style of games). When you think about it, there hasn't been a game like SMW since it came out. New SMB etc. are all more like SMB/3 (SMB 2 was an odd one.Good, but odd) than SMW. The only game I think that came close to being like SMW was Super Mario Land 2. WIth that said, they should make a New Super Mario World Wii or something.

#15 Posted by OneManX (1693 posts) -

I put New Super Mario Bros. Wii... because that is the culmination of of al the old school games, adding in some of Mario's newer moves (wall jump, butt stomp, etc.) and I like the suits Ice Flower and the Propeller suit is  just awesome.

#16 Posted by JonathanMoore (1858 posts) -

Super Mario 3 people...

#17 Posted by TobyD81 (1228 posts) -

I picked J due to the lack of Hotel Mario. Just kidding, it's Super Mario World.

#18 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -

Super Mario World.

#19 Posted by Twilit_Igniter42 (65 posts) -
@mylifeforAiur said:
"That hill has a band-aid on it ;)  "
My vote was Super Mario Bros 3, but this makes a strong argument!  :)
#20 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -

Super Mario World was fantastic. 

#21 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Mario World probably.

#22 Posted by Smallerz (119 posts) -

Why doesn't Yoshi's Island count? :(

#23 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

You're playing as Yoshi, Mario's basically a crying hot potato in that game.

#24 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Super Mario World, if only for the brilliant music and it being my first game I ever played.

#25 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Playing it with one or two other players (definitely not 3) was the most fun I've ever had playing a video game. EVER.

#26 Posted by FreakAche (2954 posts) -

Super Mario World is the only right answer. Super Mario Bros 3 was good, but not THAT good. Get over it people!

#27 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -

Super Mario World, no contest.

Super Mario Bros. 3 sucks, by the way.

#28 Posted by Daveyo520 (6861 posts) -

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. It is so 2D.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.