Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Future of Zelda Franchise

tentkaylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tentkaylor

I have been watching review videos for Skyward Sword and played it about an hour or so at a friend's house. It is a fun game and I am not trying to be a Nintendo hater when I ask this but does anyone else feel like it is like playing a game from a previous generation. I know you are thinking it is only because of the graphics and about to rip me but I feel like the game play and Zelda formula has gotten a bit stale. It would be nice if Link could speak, but not in the way Nintendo made Samus speak. I know that some of my complaint is that I wish I could play the game without the motion controls. I see Nintendo hanging on to motion controls though.

beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By beeftothetaco

Problem is that when Nintendo tries to shake things up a bit (ex. Majora's mask) rabid fanboys shit their panties and react extremely negatively (thus giving the game negative attention) just because it deviated from the original formula, resulting in poor(er) sales . I really don't like the idea of seeing anything more than what Nintendo has already done in terms of implementing VA, however; it would be like giving Gordon Freeman a voice.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

I'm about 15 hours into Skyward Sword and it doesn't feel last gen at all. Actually, it's rather refreshing if you ask me. As for the future, the Wii U will have a different controller, but also be compatible with the Wii Remote Plus and Nunchuk, but I'm sure Nintendo will use the new controller for a new Zelda game. It just makes sense.

tentkaylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By tentkaylor

maybe Samuel L Jackson could do Link's voice in the next game. just a thought

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@beeftothetaco said:

Problem is that when Nintendo tries to shake things up a bit (ex. Majora's mask) rabid fanboys shit their panties and react extremely negatively (thus giving the game negative attention) just because it deviated from the original formula, resulting in poor(er) sales . I really don't like the idea of seeing anything more than what Nintendo has already done in terms of implementing VA, however; it would be like giving Gordon Freeman a voice.

But every other character in Half-life and Portal, etc, do talk. They could implement voice acting and keep Link as a silent protagonist. This isn't the early 90's anymore, where pretty much all voice acting was atrocious. As long as they hired some decent talent, it would add to the experience of the game, in my opinion.

And although games like Majora's Mask and Windwaker had pretty negative reactions initially, they've gone on to become two of the most popular games in the series, where as Twilight Princess, which essentially tried to be a modern Ocarina of Time, is panned as one of the worst.

I don't think Skyward Sword felt particularly dated, but it didn't feel very original either. They've been talking about involving Retro in the development of the next one, and that's definitely something I want to see. Do a Metroid Prime for the Zelda series.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By JCGamer

I have no faith that Nintendo could muster up good voice acting. Did you ever see that intro video for Super Mario Sunshine?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0017840c01a
    deactivated-5f0017840c01a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Zelda franchise is still doing great so they will continue making games as they see fit. I hope that as a Zelda fanatic myself that Zelda does evolve. I love old school Zelda (link to the Past and the oracle games for the gameboy) but I wouldn't mind seeing new features such as developing into more of an rpg. I don't feel like Link should have a voice. Don't fix what's not broken.

Nintendo made a killing when it debuted Twilight princess and since Skyward Sword is only the second installment on the Wii utilizing the motion plus sensor, I don't think they're trying to overkill a game style so quickly. They evolve with the times.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @WinterSnowblind: but TP was awesome
    Blakyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Blakyle

@FancySoapsMan: Yea TP was awesome, but what was the real problem with TP? It came out on the cube like 4 months prior to the wii getting release and then they just ported it. I've been a huge Nintendo fanboy for most of my life, but I hate to say it but i feel like Nintendo has just gotten lazy with the current gen of gaming. Other than TRYING to fine tune their motion controls instead of just moving to a kinect like system i feel is only hurting them. With that said, I still enjoy the newer Zelda titles, but feel they are simply laking that zazz that the older titles had. I wouldnt mind seeing a turn towards more RPG elements or better fighting in a devil may cry sorta way. But the dungeons are and always will be the best part of Zelda. The adventure of exploring a deep, dark, and dank catacomb with giant spiders and skeletons rising from the pieces all over the floor. So who knows where the franchise will be heading, but wherever it does go I will most likely follow.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.