Game Prices

#1 Posted by fini_fly (767 posts) -

Last summer I sold my Wii to pick up a PS3, so it's been a while since I've last checked on any Wii games. However I noticed that Nintendo hasn't really dropped the price on a lot of older games from their library. Usually Wii games start off at $60, and here is the going rate for some games (all prices Canadian): 

• Super Mario Galaxy - $50
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - $60
  • Mario Kart Wii - $60
  • Super Paper Mario - $50

The only game that has gone down in Metroid Prime as it is now bundled as the trilogy and that goes for $60. With Super Mario Galaxy 2 out, you think that Nintendo would drop the price of the first installment. But a difference of $10 almost seems insulting. Twilight Princess was a launch release, so you would imagine by this point in time, the price would be less than what it was when the console first came out. Mario Kart Wii and Super Paper Mario have also been out for quite a while now, and only Super Paper Mario has seen a price drop of a whopping $10. If you look at some of the older exclusive titles for the PS3 and 360, you'll see that those prices have dropped accordingly over time.

If you look at the Wii, it has dropped in price. Right now it goes for $200. So why not the games?
#2 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -
@fini_fly:  This annoys me too. A lot of the old third-party titles in Australia have dropped precipitously in price (no more than half-price for a new copy) but Nintendo games remain a steep $100 per game with no signs of dropping. They can be acquired for a little cheaper at stores that import from elsewhere but regardless it's still painful.
#3 Posted by fini_fly (767 posts) -
@owl_of_minerva: Almost all of the 3rd party games have dropped in price. 

Perhaps it's just a greed thing. My guess is the above list of games still sell well and Nintendo is just cashing in on it. And without a lot of quality 3rd party releases, there is no need to drop the price of these games. If the competition was more intense, then Nintendo would be more compelled to lower these game prices to maintain sales against the new releases.
#4 Posted by nobull6 (238 posts) -
@fini_fly said:
" @owl_of_minerva: Almost all of the 3rd party games have dropped in price.  Perhaps it's just a greed thing. My guess is the above list of games still sell well and Nintendo is just cashing in on it. And without a lot of quality 3rd party releases, there is no need to drop the price of these games. If the competition was more intense, then Nintendo would be more compelled to lower these game prices to maintain sales against the new releases. "
Is it really greed when a company prices their product at the level which the market will bear? It's not a charity.
#5 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -
@fini_fly:  It's not only Nintendo that does it though. Any company that can manage to keep its prices near full-price can and will do it. But you're right that Nintendo has less competition than most.
#6 Posted by fini_fly (767 posts) -
@nobull6: I know it's not a charity. I would argue that the price to manufacture running shoes is on the order of less than $1, yet they sell for over $100 because of the market. Is that greed? 

@owl_of_minerva: Yes, Nintendo isn't the only company doing this. It's just more prevalent than others.
#7 Edited by Willy105 (4690 posts) -

I hate Nintendo not using the Player's Choice line anymore.

But since they don't see a reason to do it, since games from 2007 are selling just as much as games from today (i.e. a lot), so we may not see them change soon.

Also, if you are using Canadian dollars, the only game that is full priced there is Mario Kart Wii (assuming all Wii games are $60 over there). Over here, Mario kart Wii is $50 along with the rest of Nintendo's games.

#8 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

If you go buy online you can usually find these games much cheaper. I don't think I spent more than 30 USD on Galaxy

#9 Posted by fini_fly (767 posts) -

I've checked Best Buy, Future Shop, Game Stop, Amazon, and they are all listing these games at the same prices I have listed above, except Amazon: 

Fail 
#10 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -

This is just a sign that Nintendo makes games with a MSRP that is closer to the market price.  That's all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.