Games that never saw the sun rise (Wii)

Posted by raphaa00 (133 posts) -

People usually complaint about japanese games that never got released in US, Europe and even Australia. But the inversion of this happens too.

Importing games from everywhere is easier than never before, although console companies are still barring these practice. 

Region lock is past in PS3 and probably will be in most plataforms as analog system is decaying, but it's still a painfull question on the Wii.

Here's a list of games that never trespassed the japanese boards:

The Conduit

I'm really unaware of the reason that this game didn't got a release here. The game sales wasn't that great, but this ain't no question, as some other flawed games are avaliable here. Shooters don't appeal that much to japanese gamers?  No, they're all avaliable and sold as expected. I think the reason is just Sega Sammy, who handles this things here, the same company that barred Madworld (who found home at Spike). I was trully looking forward for this.

Deadly Creatures

Sounds and plays unique. Not that mind-bending but should really be a good game. Terrific voice acting by Billy Bob Thornton and Dennis Hoper checked.

Mushroom Men: The Spore Was

Must be a good plataformer, with deep weapon collection, whimsical visuals, and fun gameplay.

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare - Reflex Edition

One of the most acclaimed games of this generation in a complete package for the Wii. It's really rare to see publisher taking too much care with a game this caliber for the Wii. 

No, it didn't received a release in Japan.

Cursed Mountain

Interesting take on survivial horror's genre. Mixing religion with exploration and quirk confrontation mode. In the west it is just bizarre. In the east it should have been blasphemous.

Indiana Jones And The Staff Of Kings

I always had mixed feelings about Indiana Jones universe. Don't know about this game. Sounds too cheap.

A Boy And His Blob

Good-looking mid-paced 2D plataformer with plenty of blob potential. This game's heart is completely japanese to me.

ExciteBots: Trick Racing

One of the new flagships of Wii Wheel didn't got much attention here. Since the first one was released here, probably the sales was not as expected.

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

The same MadWorld debacle. A game produced by a japanese developer but ignored by japanese publishers. There's a webpage on Marvelous Entertainment with no date schedule that just seems to be abandoned.

*As my first blog post I didn't realize how this thing actually works, so I've remade the post.
#1 Posted by raphaa00 (133 posts) -

People usually complaint about japanese games that never got released in US, Europe and even Australia. But the inversion of this happens too.

Importing games from everywhere is easier than never before, although console companies are still barring these practice. 

Region lock is past in PS3 and probably will be in most plataforms as analog system is decaying, but it's still a painfull question on the Wii.

Here's a list of games that never trespassed the japanese boards:

The Conduit

I'm really unaware of the reason that this game didn't got a release here. The game sales wasn't that great, but this ain't no question, as some other flawed games are avaliable here. Shooters don't appeal that much to japanese gamers?  No, they're all avaliable and sold as expected. I think the reason is just Sega Sammy, who handles this things here, the same company that barred Madworld (who found home at Spike). I was trully looking forward for this.

Deadly Creatures

Sounds and plays unique. Not that mind-bending but should really be a good game. Terrific voice acting by Billy Bob Thornton and Dennis Hoper checked.

Mushroom Men: The Spore Was

Must be a good plataformer, with deep weapon collection, whimsical visuals, and fun gameplay.

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare - Reflex Edition

One of the most acclaimed games of this generation in a complete package for the Wii. It's really rare to see publisher taking too much care with a game this caliber for the Wii. 

No, it didn't received a release in Japan.

Cursed Mountain

Interesting take on survivial horror's genre. Mixing religion with exploration and quirk confrontation mode. In the west it is just bizarre. In the east it should have been blasphemous.

Indiana Jones And The Staff Of Kings

I always had mixed feelings about Indiana Jones universe. Don't know about this game. Sounds too cheap.

A Boy And His Blob

Good-looking mid-paced 2D plataformer with plenty of blob potential. This game's heart is completely japanese to me.

ExciteBots: Trick Racing

One of the new flagships of Wii Wheel didn't got much attention here. Since the first one was released here, probably the sales was not as expected.

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

The same MadWorld debacle. A game produced by a japanese developer but ignored by japanese publishers. There's a webpage on Marvelous Entertainment with no date schedule that just seems to be abandoned.

*As my first blog post I didn't realize how this thing actually works, so I've remade the post.
#2 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

We suufer far more than the Japanese as there are so many awesome games we never get to play.  The region lock is the worst thing about the Wii, but I use Homebrew to bypass it, allowing me to play the handful of Japanese games I have imported. 

Congrats on a blog with more than 5 words - a rarity lately.

#3 Posted by Shirogane (3574 posts) -
@oldschool said:
"We suufer far more than the Japanese as there are so many awesome games we never get to play.  The region lock is the worst thing about the Wii, but I use Homebrew to bypass it, allowing me to play the handful of Japanese games I have imported.  Congrats on a blog with more than 5 words - a rarity lately. "

Hmm, what homebrew do you use? 

I've been meaning to get around to getting some, but i havn't bothered buying an SD card for my Wii yet... 
Also, i'm getting annoyed at having to plug it into the tv again when switching between it and my ps2. So i havn't been using the Wii lately...even though there's a whole bunch of games that i went and put about an hour into and havn't touched since.
#4 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

A Boy and his Blob, Deadly Creatures, Excitebots and No More Heroes 2, could do very well in Japan, if they were picked up by the right publisher.  

#5 Posted by raphaa00 (133 posts) -
@oldschool:  Thank you! Really, since they added the question system everyone seems to be just writing silly pointless blog/forum posts that I can no longer find the reasonable ones.

By the way, you own a monstrous collection of games! Impressive!
#6 Posted by raphaa00 (133 posts) -
@Linkyshinks:  I really want to play The Conduit, A Boy And His Blob and No More Heroes 2, but, at least for the first two, the chances are minimal.

Are you from Japan? There's a lot of japanese content in your profile.
#7 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Shirogane said:
" @oldschool said:
"We suufer far more than the Japanese as there are so many awesome games we never get to play.  The region lock is the worst thing about the Wii, but I use Homebrew to bypass it, allowing me to play the handful of Japanese games I have imported.  Congrats on a blog with more than 5 words - a rarity lately. "
Hmm, what homebrew do you use?  I've been meaning to get around to getting some, but i havn't bothered buying an SD card for my Wii yet... Also, i'm getting annoyed at having to plug it into the tv again when switching between it and my ps2. So i havn't been using the Wii lately...even though there's a whole bunch of games that i went and put about an hour into and havn't touched since. "
I honestly have no idea.  I was just given some links and advice and installed it.  If the Wii was like the PS3 with region coding I wouldn't have to do it.  It works very well and is simple to operate.  Of course it can do other stuff, but I genuinely have no interest in taking that next step. 

You need to buy one of those splitter boxes for your television.  I just bough one at KMart and plugged 3 consoles into it and can change consoles at the touch of a button.  It was only about $40 and has connections for composite.  Best $40 I spent as it is a pain in the arse to change cables all the time.
#8 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@raphaa00 said:
" @oldschool:  Thank you! Really, since they added the question system everyone seems to be just writing silly pointless blog/forum posts that I can no longer find the reasonable ones.  By the way, you own a monstrous collection of games! Impressive! "
Linky is from England.  Both he and I share I genuine love of Japanese gaming - him a bit more than me  :-) 

I can't stop myself picking up a bargain, and I can't let any of it go, so my collection has shown some significant growth.  I keep looking at my game fort, then at my games and a large collection of Lego and thinking - "I could build a freakin' castle out of that".  One day I will   :/
#9 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -

But the thing is, the Japanese are missing out on the low budget Western games.

We are missing out on the AAA Wii games from Japan.

#10 Edited by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Willy105 said:

" But the thing is, the Japanese are missing out on the low budget Western games.  We are missing out on the AAA Wii games from Japan. "

Can't argue with that. 

I just wish Japanese games were made region free and with English subtitles.  I mean, how hard can it be to put in the subtitles?  I don't want English voices, just subtitles dammit.
#11 Posted by Tebbit (4465 posts) -

I'm just waiting for the day that Silent Hill: Shattered Memories finally comes out in New Zealand. I can't help but feel this is the greatest tragedy of all.

#12 Posted by raphaa00 (133 posts) -
@oldschool said:
Linky is from England.  Both he and I share I genuine love of Japanese gaming - him a bit more than me  :-)  I can't stop myself picking up a bargain, and I can't let any of it go, so my collection has shown some significant growth.  I keep looking at my game fort, then at my games and a large collection of Lego and thinking - "I could build a freakin' castle out of that".  One day I will   :/ "

I've just found the 'Read more about me' link in his profile! Still learning how to play here.

Restarted my collection for about 1 year ago, after selling out 100+ titles of N64 and PS1/2, but I just can't keep everything. When some game just didn't catch me up on I end up selling it.
#13 Edited by raphaa00 (133 posts) -
@Willy105 said:

" But the thing is, the Japanese are missing out on the low budget Western games.  We are missing out on the AAA Wii games from Japan. "

I can't understand some publishers here. Square Enix, who handles Activision business here, released Quantum Of Solace for the Wii, but skipped CoD:MW-Reflex Edition, a much more profitable, high-end game.
#14 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Were they midnight releases? is that what you're saying ? 

lulz.

#15 Posted by raphaa00 (133 posts) -
@oldschool said:
Can't argue with that.  I just wish Japanese games were made region free and with English subtitles.  I mean, how hard can it be to put in the subtitles?  I don't want English voices, just subtitles dammit. "

The only one that I can remember is Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, which cames with 100% english support, in a pretty neat package.

A dude here said Phoenix Wright games have english support too.

As you see, still rare when talking about Nintendo. Mostly PS3 games released here comes with all the language support avaliable, which sure only a few people In Japan would use.
#16 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@raphaa00 said:
" @oldschool said:
Can't argue with that.  I just wish Japanese games were made region free and with English subtitles.  I mean, how hard can it be to put in the subtitles?  I don't want English voices, just subtitles dammit. "
 The only one that I can remember is Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, which cames with 100% english support, in a pretty neat package.  A dude here said Phoenix Wright games have english support too.  As you see, still rare when talking about Nintendo. Mostly PS3 games released here comes with all the language support avaliable, which sure only a few people In Japan would use. "
Yep, a few games on the DS, like Phoenix Wright have English subtitles.  It isn't easy information to find though.  As I said though, getting someone to translate and adding subtitles can't be expensive or complicated.  It just should be the norm.
#17 Posted by raphaa00 (133 posts) -
@oldschool said:
" @raphaa00 said:
" @oldschool said:
 The only one that I can remember is Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, which cames with 100% english support, in a pretty neat package.  A dude here said Phoenix Wright games have english support too.  As you see, still rare when talking about Nintendo. Mostly PS3 games released here comes with all the language support avaliable, which sure only a few people In Japan would use. "
Yep, a few games on the DS, like Phoenix Wright have English subtitles.  It isn't easy information to find though.  As I said though, getting someone to translate and adding subtitles can't be expensive or complicated.  It just should be the norm. "
In the case of MGS:TS, even the superb voice acting is in english. Japanese MGS4 don't feature this.
#18 Posted by raphaa00 (133 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
" You really aren't missing much with the Conduit //, the other three are great games though. I'm surprised Deadly Creatures and A Boy hasn't been picked up, I had thought Square Enix would bring that over as they done with Lost Winds 1 & 2, albeit on WiiWare.  A Boy would have mass appeal in Japan. Any advert which showed the games hug button at work, would go down a absolute storm in Japan. "
Playing FPS with Wii-Mote is just fantastic for me, sadly there's only a few shooters for Wii here. Red Steel 2 is scheduled for a far May 27.

THQ is too weak in Japan. Aside from deBlob they have only released licensed movie games. Maybe Deadly Creatures would simply not cover the costs.

A Boy And His Blob is probably the cutest game ever, perfect for Japan, but japanese publishers spends all efforts releasing anime cash-grab, even the mighty Square.
#19 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
@raphaa00 said:
" @Linkyshinks said:
" You really aren't missing much with the Conduit //, the other three are great games though. I'm surprised Deadly Creatures and A Boy hasn't been picked up, I had thought Square Enix would bring that over as they done with Lost Winds 1 & 2, albeit on WiiWare.  A Boy would have mass appeal in Japan. Any advert which showed the games hug button at work, would go down a absolute storm in Japan. "
Playing FPS with Wii-Mote is just fantastic for me, sadly there's only a few shooters for Wii here. Red Steel 2 is scheduled for a far May 27.  THQ is too weak in Japan. Aside from deBlob they have only released licensed movie games. Maybe Deadly Creatures would simply not cover the costs.  A Boy And His Blob is probably the cutest game ever, perfect for Japan, but japanese publishers spends all efforts releasing anime cash-grab, even the mighty Square. "

Square Enix isn't that mighty.  They seem to have dropped the ball too many times before.  They seem to lack a lot direction with their games.
#20 Posted by raphaa00 (133 posts) -
@Godwind said:
"Square Enix isn't that mighty.  They seem to have dropped the ball too many times before.  They seem to lack a lot direction with their games."
Square, when just Squaresoft, were mighty for me once. Every game they made, every step they take, was not just the right, but the best too. They will never again release things like FF: Tactics, Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, instead, they are developing Soul Eater and Fullmetal Alchemist, along with Kane & Lynch, Lara Croft, Just Cause, and other games that should be OK, but are aliens when talking about Square.

They just aren't that medium developer/publisher that once made everything with heart first.
#21 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
@raphaa00 said:
" @Godwind said:
"Square Enix isn't that mighty.  They seem to have dropped the ball too many times before.  They seem to lack a lot direction with their games."
Square, when just Squaresoft, were mighty for me once. Every game they made, every step they take, was not just the right, but the best too. They will never again release things like FF: Tactics, Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, instead, they are developing Soul Eater and Fullmetal Alchemist, along with Kane & Lynch, Lara Croft, Just Cause, and other games that should be OK, but are aliens when talking about Square.  They just aren't that medium developer/publisher that once made everything with heart first. "

Ah, that is a different case altogether now.  Keep in mind that the new name came from the Merger of Squaresoft and Enix and now Square Enix has taken up the bad features of their former selves.  Squaresoft were great in-house developers, but were horrible publishers.  Enix was the opposite, with developers such as Quintet, Chunsoft, Tri-Ace, Quest, TOSE, GameArts but had a poor in-house development team.  Oddly enough, now they seem to be putting the shit in instead of the better features.
#22 Edited by raphaa00 (133 posts) -
@Godwind said:

" Ah, that is a different case altogether now.  Keep in mind that the new name came from the Merger of Squaresoft and Enix and now Square Enix has taken up the bad features of their former selves.  Squaresoft were great in-house developers, but were horrible publishers.  Enix was the opposite, with developers such as Quintet, Chunsoft, Tri-Ace, Quest, TOSE, GameArts but had a poor in-house development team.  Oddly enough, now they seem to be putting the shit in instead of the better features. "

Yes, both sides didn't released mind-blowing games recently as they've done in the past, and things get worst when talking about Nintendo consoles, with few exceptions (The World Ends With You?). We remember the old days of Squaresoft, were every game release was a boom.

But the thing I complaint most is Square Enix desperetely trying to appeal western markets. The fact is that they already appealed gamers from the west with them then current line-up, and instead of developing their own games on their own kind of doing it, they bought... Eidos...

Also, Square Enix business in Japan are pretty dirty. From erotic video and parlor machines to dubious taste anime, they sure had lose standards.
#23 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
@raphaa00 said:
" @Godwind said:

" Ah, that is a different case altogether now.  Keep in mind that the new name came from the Merger of Squaresoft and Enix and now Square Enix has taken up the bad features of their former selves.  Squaresoft were great in-house developers, but were horrible publishers.  Enix was the opposite, with developers such as Quintet, Chunsoft, Tri-Ace, Quest, TOSE, GameArts but had a poor in-house development team.  Oddly enough, now they seem to be putting the shit in instead of the better features. "

Yes, both sides didn't released mind-blowing games recently as they've done in the past, and things get worst when talking about Nintendo consoles, with few exceptions (The World Ends With You?). We remember the old days of Squaresoft, were every game release was a boom.  But the thing I complaint most is Square Enix desperetely trying to appeal western markets. The fact is that they already appealed gamers from the west with them then current line-up, and instead of developing their own games on their own kind of doing it, they bought... Eidos...  Also, Square Enix business in Japan are pretty dirty. From erotic video and parlor machines to dubious taste anime, they sure had lose standards. "

Square Enix has done very little to make itself to appeal to western gamers.  The Irony is, they were doing fine in the west by making games that were intended for the Japanese (well not until the release of Final Fantasy 7).

The World Ends With You, which was intended for the Japanese market, again Ironically, performed well in the West.  It is becoming clear that they have almost no idea on how to deliver their products onto the market.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.