Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Going Black

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

I spoke to somebody at Nintendo support earlier today, It turns out I can have my current PAL Wii's number moved onto any console if I so choose, that includes the brand new black Wii I intend to get next month. All I have to do is send in both consoles and they'll move my Wii number onto the new console, and erase the old launch console's number and give it a fresh one. The Wii number switch service is totally free. 

I'll be selling the white launch console as soon as, along with all it's accessories and sleeve copy of Wii Sports Resort, as I already have a Japanese white Wii as well. 

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By tebbit

You realize that once you've gone black, you shall never return... right? 

I'm talking a Wii Remote so large it'll waggle you like a train.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mikemcn

I want one......
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Karmum

Although it's a fingerprint magnet, it looks so damn nice.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By luce
    @Tebbit said:
    " You realize that once you've gone black, you shall never return... right?  I'm talking a Wii Remote so large it'll waggle you like a train. "
    Oh dear..
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Tebbit said:
    " You realize that once you've gone black, you shall never return... right?  I'm talking a Wii Remote so large it'll waggle you like a train. "

I do realize that's normally the case, but I will still have my white Japanese Wii -  I will have Yang to go with my Yin.    

It'll be costing 164 pounds with Wii Sports and Resort, but after I sell the old Wii that cost will be lessened significantly.  Second hand boxed prices for Wii are around 70 pounds, so all in all I will be forking out around 100 pounds for my black Wii. 
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Karmum
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Tebbit said:
     I do realize that's normally the case, but I will still have my white Japanese Wii -  I will have Yang to go with my Yin.     It'll be costing 164 pounds with Wii Sports and Resort, but after I sell the old Wii that cost will be lessened significantly.  Second hand boxed prices for Wii are around 70 pounds, so all in all I will be forking out around 100 pounds for my black Wii.  "
    Which means you're paying an even less price instead of what the Wii actually costs.
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rallier

I don't really like the new rubber, wonder what the black wiimote would look like with the white transparent rubber.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Tebbit said:
     I do realize that's normally the case, but I will still have my white Japanese Wii -  I will have Yang to go with my Yin.     It'll be costing 164 pounds with Wii Sports and Resort, but after I sell the old Wii that cost will be lessened significantly.  Second hand boxed prices for Wii are around 70 pounds, so all in all I will be forking out around 100 pounds for my black Wii.  "
    And how is this not a waste of money?
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By jeffgoldblum

How much are they charging for these? There is quite a bit of extra stuff in there.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By Willy105
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Tebbit said:
    And how is this not a waste of money? "
    Yeah, as cool as the new Wii's are, they are aimed at those who haven't bought a Wii yet. The money for the new Wii could be better used to buy more Wii games.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#12  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Wow, I had no idea you could do that. That black Wii does look very nice.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Selling your Wii just to buy another one in a different colour seems a little unncessary.

But I did buy a black Wii-remote to replace my defective one I got on launch, along with a nun-chuck and I have to say it does look very nice.  I normally think white makes techology like this look much snazzier, but not in this case.  Could just be because we've been stuck with nothing but white since the Wii was first released though.

thebobster10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thebobster10

That is the most sloppy unboxing I have ever seen. I cannot stand having that much shit just sitting around un organized! Haha oh well.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FunExplosions

Man, if only every boring un-boxing video had these accents.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

That's racist. 

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " Selling your Wii just to buy another one in a different colour seems a little unncessary.  But I did buy a black Wii-remote to replace my defective one I got on launch, along with a nun-chuck and I have to say it does look very nice.  I normally think white makes techology like this look much snazzier, but not in this case.  Could just be because we've been stuck with nothing but white since the Wii was first released though. "

My launch console does actually play up every now and then, sometimes it lingers with a black screen for as long as five minutes between page boots. I think now is the right time to offload it, while I can. Anyone testing it would probably not find the flaw because it only happens on the very odd occasion, but if the problem worsens with time, nobody will want it. 

@Willy105 said:
    " @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Tebbit said:
    And how is this not a waste of money? "
    Yeah, as cool as the new Wii's are, they are aimed at those who haven't bought a Wii yet. The money for the new Wii could be better used to buy more Wii games. "

I have all the Wii games I've wanted so far, both on disc and downloaded. I was going to get the new DS XL with the money, but will now wait till early next years official launch in the West.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EvilTwin

Your Wii's number?  Not sure I really follow.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @EvilTwin:

When you buy games for your Wiii online all the content is bound to the console itself, via it's internal Wii number. I'm basically having my account (Wii number) moved onto a new Wii and having my old Wii erased of all it''s content.  I had assumed Nintendo would only do this for me if my Wii broke, but it turns out that's not the case.  I have legal ownership of all 112 games on my VC  and can choose to put them on any other unmodified console for any reason if I wish, and free of charge too.  

I guess it must be a very simple job for a Wii technician. 
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Al3xand3r

Pretty awesome to know this, there's lots of misinformation about this topic online.

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By halberdierv2

do want.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Pretty awesome to know this, there's lots of misinformation about this topic online. "

I also asked them if I could pay to have black casing put on :P, they said no... 
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By ThomasP

That question has been in the back of my mind for a long time. Thank you for taking care of that.

It's really good that they included a copy of the original Wii Sports, as well as Resort.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By captain_clayman

now everyone has to buy a second wii! 
    if i get a black 360 to go along with my black PS3 and my black PS2, i can't have a WHITE WII!!! 
    IT WONT MATCH, IT JUST WONT! 

fuck it, i don't play the wii anyways.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By demontium
    @Linkyshinks: I won't unless my Wii brakes.
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By Emilio

I still want me a Mario Red Wiimote!!

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By Emilio

I also have to say, Nintendo sure knows how to package their goods. Seriously.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.