Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Grand Slam Tennis First Trailer - 4 Player Online Confirmed

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

Interview here.

"There will be online support for the game for as many as four players, and users will be able to connect with others online for new opponents. But again, we'll discuss more about online capability a little later on. "

It looks off in places but SEGA have their work cut out for them with Virtua Tennis.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r
    IGN preview. Promising stuff.

Update 4/1:
    New trailer looks okay, I think SEGA had done better work with Virtua Tennis on the Dreamcast, unless I have the nostalgia glasses on. I'll wait to see how their game shapes up anyway, but will get the one that is most feature packed and fun, not the one that looks best.

This interview about Motion Plus is very promising. So responsive they have to tone it down to make the game playable for noobs of the sport like most of us are going to be anyway :P

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Meowayne

I'm knee-deep in Mario Power Tennis at the moment (pay no attention to reviews. The game is as awesome as Mario Tennis on the Game Boy), so the confirmation that Motion+ has not been delayed and will be here in June is the only thing that really interests me about it. But yay, I guess.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By AgentJ

The controls sound really great. I may pick up something like this or Tiger Woods just for the controls. 

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By Arkthemaniac

So excited for this. One of my most anticipated games for the year now.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By oldschool

It would be nice to get a REAL tennis game, one of the few sport games I enjoy (pretty much the only one actually, unless you include cartoon style golf).

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r

real?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Real Tennis is the original form of the sport, played indoors using the walls.

4 player online support is impressive, I only hope Virtua Tennis has the same. I'm more keen on that game really , I don't like the art style used here at all.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Karmum

This looks pretty good, whilst I wish it didn't look as "cartoony" as it does, I still like it. I want to see where they go with the Career Mode, though.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldschool
    oldschool said:
    "It would be nice to get a REAL tennis game, one of the few sport games I enjoy (pretty much the only one actually, unless you include cartoon style golf)."
    Al3xand3r said:
    "real?"
    I mean real in the sense of a proper game.  Sorry.  One that plays properly and has all the bells and whistles, not a cut down version.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

So why would you think this is a cut down version? A cut down version of what even? >_>

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks

I don't think it's cut down in anyway Brett.. It may have caricature players but you would be wrong in thinking this is aimed at kids. This game looks fully featured an solid already. I'm still banking on Virtua Tennis to be better though.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool
    Al3xand3r said:
    "So why would you think this is a cut down version? A cut down version of what even? >_>"
    Linkyshinks said:
    "I don't think it's cut down in anyway Brett.. It may have caricature players but you would be wrong in thinking this is aimed at kids. This game looks fully featured an solid already. I'm still banking on Virtua Tennis to be better though."
    As was said to Homer in a big hole - "dig up stupid."

I am not say ing that it is.  I am referencing the fact that the Wii seems to get cut down versions of sports games (less modes), versus the 360/PS3.  Not this game specifically, just generically about sport games.

Oh dear lord - leave me alone.  I'm tired :-(
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Meowayne

Even if it was: Motion+ >> Modes

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Al3xand3r

It seems this game has already won over SEGA's Virtua Tennis, if online reports are to be believed as more than rumours. Apparently, Grand Slam Tennis will be bundled with Motion Plus in Europe, and retail for 59,99 Euros. 49,99 without Motion Plus. That means Motion Plus is only 10 Euros, which will probably translate to a cheaper $10 for the USA. Good stuff all around, I expected it 10 over that both for US and EU. Yay.

Edit: Hmm, unless they also let SEGA make a bundle and people get to choose which they want? We'll see I guess. If not, that's a major boost for Grand Slam, and a low blow for SEGA, they'll probably not be too happy. Then again, their game seems to be a mere port in this case so far...

We'll see...

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Meowayne

I bet you 100€ that Motion+ will be sold seperately for 29,99€.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Al3xand3r

Still, it makes sense to get it with a game and save up, as well as actually make use of it. Whether that game is going to be from EA (and this one) or Nintendo (Resort). Or someone else. And you could buy two games that have the bundle available if you want it for more remotes. So that's pretty sweet that it gets bundles for more games than one.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Meowayne

I'm still hoping for Sports Resort bundles with more than one M+ unit. : ]

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Al3xand3r
    New trailer looks okay, I think SEGA had done better work with Virtua Tennis on the Dreamcast, unless I have the nostalgia glasses on. I'll wait to see how their game shapes up anyway, but will get the one that is most feature packed and fun, not the one that looks best.

This interview about Motion Plus is very promising. So responsive they have to tone it down to make the game playable for noobs of the sport like most of us are going to be anyway :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.