Have Nintendo shifted all of there effort to the 3DS?

#1 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Sure the 3DS is great and I am happy to have one, but aside from Skyward Sword I can think of nothing good thats coming out for the Wii this year, what do you think and correct me if there are good games coming out this year
#2 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

Nintendo are telling us to wait till E3 - in a word, no. Nintendo know they have a lot do on the platform given the notable decline in overall sales.  Pikmin Wii is coming, the Wii game started development in early 2008, so should be ready by now. Q4 is my guess. Of course there will be a few more on offer, but those are the big surprises we always have to wait till E3 for. I think it's safe to assume there will be something good on the DL front for Wii, because the only way they can redeem that service is to make quality content for it. There are very few quality driven Nintendo games on the WiiWare service. Virtual Console needs a lift also, but I can't fathom what they're plans are. What I do know is that simply adding another platform would be insufficient for the audience, something else needs changing, and I think they know this too. 

"The iterations that we've had before - for Wii and DS - to be honest, we just haven't been as satisfied as we would like,"     "It's browser-based, and to be honest, the ease of use wasn't what we wanted, and I don't think that anyone has been pleased with the user response. And I don't think that people have been using it as often as we want. And being able to, again, easily go into it, look around and purchase things. Again, it just didn't work out quite as we were hoping.      

- Hideki Konno   

#3 Posted by picklecannon (264 posts) -

Well we know dragon quest 10 is still set for release on the wii, and skyward sword. Hopefully E3 announcement for Last Story and Xenoblade! (Extreme wishful thinking)

#4 Posted by TooWalrus (12972 posts) -

They're probably working on something, but honestly I can't think of a time when I've been able to name more than 2 or 3 upcoming Wii titles that I'm excited aboot. Also, your there should have been their.

#5 Edited by MattyFTM (14243 posts) -

Nintendo always do a lot of announcements at E3 that release later in the year. Just look at last year - Kirby's Epic Yarn, Donkey Kong County Returns, Mario Sports Mix, Wii Party and Golden Sun Dark Dawn were all announced at E3, and they've all already been released. Nintendo aren't big on announcing things way in advance. Apart from their super ultra big releases like their main series Zelda and Mario games, they tend to announce games relatively close to their release. It's pretty common to not know a lot about what Nintendo are working on early on in the year.

#6 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -
@MattyFTM:
I would not put Wii Party in the same catagory as Donkey Kong Country Returns, anybody who does is a fool!
#7 Posted by mnzy (2909 posts) -

Are you saying they actually put effort into the Wii until now?

#8 Posted by MattyFTM (14243 posts) -
@Hizang said:
" @MattyFTM: I would not put Wii Party in the same catagory as Donkey Kong Country Returns, anybody who does is a fool! "
Whether you like it or not, they are both in the "games Nintendo announced at E3 2010 and have already been released" category.
#9 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -
@MattyFTM:
Oh sorry I missread, I thought you put Nintendo annouced great games at E3, my mistake.
#10 Posted by MattyFTM (14243 posts) -
@Hizang: Yeah, I wasn't making a statement on the quality of the games (although from what I've heard, Wii Party wasn't actually that bad), I was just showing how Nintendo tend to announce games at E3, and then release them later in the year.
#11 Posted by jorok_goldblade (9 posts) -

We know they're sitting on a lot of games- Skyward Sword, Pikmin 3, Kirby, Xenoblade and Last Story- those will probably all be officially announced or dated. I doubt there will be too much more than those, but that should be enough to carry the back half of the year.  If I had to guess, I'd say most of Nintendo's effort is on 3DS and potentially Wii2 at this point.

#12 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

Maybe, maybe not. 

I'm hoping not, because I'm still waiting for more third party channels to fill up my Wii menu. 

You know, It wouldn't be too bad if they worked in a trinity with their games. They could support DS, Wii, and 3DS games all at once (and their download services too (and even the DSi only games). 

I'll wait for E3, and even then, there are still like 500 games I have yet to play on it.

#13 Posted by GlenTennis (3143 posts) -
@mnzy said:
" Are you saying they actually put effort into the Wii until now? "
Yes.
#14 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -

It is probably the reason why they dumpped alot of games in 2010 for the wii.
#15 Posted by FreakAche (2938 posts) -

I kind of wish they would so that they could concentrate on making one platform the best it could possibly be, but I think it's safe to say that they have a lot more planned for home consoles.

#16 Posted by DystopiaX (5241 posts) -
@jorok_goldblade said:
" We know they're sitting on a lot of games- Skyward Sword, Pikmin 3, Kirby, Xenoblade and Last Story- those will probably all be officially announced or dated. I doubt there will be too much more than those, but that should be enough to carry the back half of the year.  If I had to guess, I'd say most of Nintendo's effort is on 3DS and potentially Wii2 at this point. "
Wait, when was Pikmin 3 confirmed to be a thing? I love pikmin but don't remember them announcing anything to this effect, or even legitimate rumors about it being in development.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.