HDMI Key for Wii

#1 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

If the price is good (30 max), I may well buy one of these, mainly because it's small and needs no external power.

- Works with all Wii - all regions PAL and NTSC 
- 480p / 720p / 1080i / 1080p HDMI output 
- HDMI, Optical and Analog Audio 
- A menu On Screen Display for setup 
- Updated user flashable 
- High quality DA conversion and HDMI chipset 
- Connects directly to your Wii 
- No external power required 
- No HDCP or SCMS - Ability to capture or record game in high definition. 

It hasn't been released yet, but it can be pre-ordered on the official site now:

According to their PR It should be available on Amazon in a few weeks time.

#2 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

This seems completely useless. The wii being lesser to the original XBOX and everything.

#3 Posted by Synthballs (2193 posts) -

Unless the games are made to support such a thing it is useless.

#4 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Uh... seriously? Unless that tiny (passive?!) converter is better than the component ADC chip your expensive HDTV has, no fucking thanks. The Wii cannot output a digital signal in the first place, so that small object must be able to transmogrify the 480p 16:9 signal exceptionally well. That or this product is bullshit.

edit: The sexyface of the support button must be some sort of clue. Perhaps it's emptiness of the support page itself.

Don't get me wrong: I would LOVE digital outputs on my Wii. But having owned a third party multi-A/V to VGA out, this sounds like Hindu entheogen substrate.
#5 Posted by dagas (2928 posts) -

Chances are your TV or your surround reciever does better upscaling than that thing. Just make sure to use component rather than composite to get the best picture.

#6 Posted by MattyFTM (14432 posts) -

I would be very surprised if that thing actually does anything to the picture quality.

#7 Posted by Karkarov (3273 posts) -

Unlike most people I am not going to assume I know what they have installed in that thing or how good it is at converting the video.  However it can't change the actual resolution the games are made at so the question is how much difference can it possibly make even if it did everything right?  I will wait around for actual reviews before I make any judgement.

#8 Posted by Godwind (2596 posts) -

I might buy it.  My biggest gripe I have with my Wii is that I have to switch the signal input on my tv everytime, which takes about 5 button presses.  If i press once too many times, I have to press it again another 10 times.  plugging and unplugging cables would be faster for me.  Plus I would have a cleaner area behind my TV.  It is already fuddled with junk wires.
#9 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5401 posts) -

That seems useless if they games have no support for it.

#10 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Using one cable instead of 5 would be pretty rad. On the other hand, I only have 2 HDMI ports on my TV which is less than I currently need. And I don't use my Wii anyway.

I am comfortable assuming that this accomplishes nothing except reducing the number of cables you have to fuddle with.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.