Hideki Kamiya Wants To Make A New Star Fox Game For Nintendo

#1 Edited by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

Hideki Kamiya is a huge fan of Nintendo's Star Fox franchise, so much so that as part of his project work needed to enter Capcom as a young designer, he submitted a 3D shooter project much akin to Nintendo's Star Fox. As well as some game about a fluffy white wolf...  It appears to me that Kamiya-san is a fan of such flight based games, I know he's a big fan of Sega's After Burner - upon completion of Bayonetta he requested that Sega gave him an After Burner Climax arcade machine, as a bonus gift for a very successful launch.  

Last week, Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto was asked by UK games magazine, Games TM, if he'd like to see a new Star Fox game come about, to which Miyamoto-san replied, "me too!". Information of this was tweeted to Kamiya-san via a friend, and Kamiya-san replied with the following:  

"If they had the team that made Star Fox 64 make it...." 

"I want Nintendo's staff to come to Platinum, stick guns at us and tell us 'You guys make a new Star Fox.'"  

He then went on to praise Star Fox 64, particularly for its scenario and the intensity of it's battles.     

#2 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -

I think he just likes forced labor more than Starfox, I could be wrong though. :D

#3 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1913 posts) -

Ha, I would love to see this happen. I know Kamiya would deliver.

#4 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

For once, I'm actually hoping Nintendo haven't started anything on the next game. Any Star Fox game made by him would be awesome and just want the franchise needs.  

I liked his fast paced After Burner styled levels in Bayonetta. 

#5 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1913 posts) -
@Linkyshinks: After that abomination Star Fox Command, I'm sure Nintendo's willing to try anything at this point.
#6 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

I sent back a Nintendo questionnaire showing my disgust for it.  I hope so, there isn't really many options. Factor 5 (experienced with games based on flight and working on Nintendo) are no more...

#7 Posted by Willy105 (4688 posts) -
@Sleepy_Insomniac said:
" @Linkyshinks: After that abomination Star Fox Command, I'm sure Nintendo's willing to try anything at this point. "
1. What was wrong with it?

2. Yeah, Nintendo learned their lesson from last gen about outsourcing their games to other developers. They are still probably too scared to do it again.
#8 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

It wasn't fun, and it's supposed tactical gameplay wasn't also. It was far removed from the expectations of most Star Fox fans. 

Nintendo has it's partners and will forever look to get them involved if they see fit.  

Nintendo's in-house work force is tiny in comparison to it's competitors.

#9 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

I think they tried to add too much stuff to Command.  Fuel has a horrible idea.  The rocket races and how you beat bosses were also equally as terrible.  The controls were good, though.  That's pretty much all I can say about it.

#10 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
"  I liked his fast paced After Burner styled levels in Bayonetta.  "
Lets be serious 

They were pretty terrible..I hope thats not what he had in mind for a star fox game
#11 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -
@luce said:
" @Linkyshinks said:
"  I liked his fast paced After Burner styled levels in Bayonetta.  "
Lets be serious   They were pretty terrible..I hope thats not what he had in mind for a star fox game "
Even if he wanted to make levels like that, Nintendo probably wouldn't allow him.
#12 Posted by JebranRush (36 posts) -

That's pretty neat. The more franchises, the better! Too bad Star Fox hasn't been the highest quality of Nintendo games. I hope they figure something that'll work for the franchise. It definitely needs some changes.

#13 Posted by JJOR64 (18894 posts) -

I would love to see his version of a Star Fox game.

Hey Nintendo!  Make this happen!

#14 Posted by Willy105 (4688 posts) -
@JebranRush said:
" That's pretty neat. The more franchises, the better! Too bad Star Fox hasn't been the highest quality of Nintendo games. I hope they figure something that'll work for the franchise. It definitely needs some changes. "
Star Fox 64 is one of my favorite games of all time. 

Star Fox Assault's multiplayer was also one of the best I played last gen, and if it was online, it would have been.
#15 Posted by Jason_E_Sigler (122 posts) -

Haven't seen anything worthwhile from StarFox since the N64 days, so I'm all for this. Also, it sounded pretty farfetched for Team Ninja to be heading up a Metroid game last year, so maybe another big E3 reveal...?

#16 Edited by ProfessorEss (7254 posts) -

I like the early Star Fox games on a game play level - I've always thought it was a shame that they're linked to such a lame franchise and characters.

#17 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it
Seriously, this would be the best Nintendo-Sega team up since F-Zero GX, and that was all kinds of right!

#18 Posted by JebranRush (36 posts) -
@Willy105: Star Fox 64 is certainly a great game.  

Assault is a decent game, but that's not really what I'm saying. The Star Fox series isn't as high quality as other Nintendo franchises, which is sort of a shame since it's a great IP. I just think it needs more attention since developers don't seem entirely sure what to do with the gameplay and such.  

I enjoy the series as well though. Especially SF64.
#19 Posted by ThomasP (1655 posts) -

If anyone from Nintendo is listening, make this shit happen NOW!

#20 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -

How about a new Space Harrier game?

#21 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11423 posts) -

They should do it, if only to once again prove that developers are incapable of understanding what made Star Fox and SF64 so great. Admittedly though, I don't think you can make just an on-rails shooter and expect people to pay a full $50 in this day and age. I certainly wouldn't.

#22 Posted by eclipsesis (1242 posts) -

Make it happen!

#23 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

It will look like this: 

"You guys Make the new Star Fox"
#24 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -
@Godwind said:
"How about a new Space Harrier game?"
Sin & Punishment Star Successor. There you go. 

Treasure would actually be my first choice if Nintendo was to outsource the series again to another developer. Though I'd be very interested to see Kamiya's interpretation.
#25 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
@Alaska_Gamer said:
" @Godwind said:
"How about a new Space Harrier game?"
Sin & Punishment Star Successor. There you go.  Treasure would actually be my first choice if Nintendo was to outsource the series again to another developer. Though I'd be very interested to see Kamiya's interpretation. "
Not quite the same, although I am all Sin and Punishment.
#26 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -
Treasure would be good, I'd have no complaints.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.