How Much does Nintendo Pay for Ad Free AP News?

#1 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

I read an article a few months back about how there are so many news outlets on the internet, but most of them get their content from only a few news agencies.  The Associated Press and Reuters come to mind.  The AP says it's not getting paid enough for this service.  So I was wondering, how much does Nintendo pay them for their news, ad free, on the News Channel? 

How many people own a Wii?  I don't know, 100 million?  And of those, how many use the News Channel?  Maybe 5 million?  So I'm thinking maybe $50,000 a month?
#2 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -

I use the News channel.  It is my most second used channel after the Internet channel, at least for me.

#3 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@insouciant said:
" I read an article a few months back about how there are so many news outlets on the internet, but most of them get their content from only a few news agencies.  The Associated Press and Reuters come to mind.  The AP says it's not getting paid enough for this service.  So I was wondering, how much does Nintendo pay them for their news, ad free, on the News Channel?  How many people own a Wii?  I don't know, 100 million?  And of those, how many use the News Channel?  Maybe 5 million?  So I'm thinking maybe $50,000 a month? "
TBH, I never use it so I do not know- 

What I do know is that they could cut spendings by not having that channel (same thing for the weather channel)  

I estimate they get paid a lot to write exclusive news for a channel not many people use; either way, get rid of it, no offense to anyone.
#4 Posted by Willy105 (4688 posts) -

I use the News Channel a bunch, and it's pretty helpful on the ease of seeing articles from the world.

But it seems like there's less and less content being posted for the "extra" sections like technology and entertainment.

#5 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@Willy105 said:
" I use the News Channel a bunch, and it's pretty helpful on the ease of seeing articles from the world.  But it seems like there's less and less content being posted for the "extra" sections like technology and entertainment. "
I cannot believe people actually use this. 

It seems so antiproductive- news is supposed to be easy and searchable (aka use the internet). I mean to each his own, but I do not see a reason stopping the big N from just stopping this service and saving a buck.
#6 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

I like the News Channel because it lets me read it on the big screen TV in the living room.  My mom will spend over an hour reading it sometimes.
#7 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @Willy105 said:
" I use the News Channel a bunch, and it's pretty helpful on the ease of seeing articles from the world.  But it seems like there's less and less content being posted for the "extra" sections like technology and entertainment. "
I cannot believe people actually use this.  It seems so antiproductive- news is supposed to be easy and searchable (aka use the internet). I mean to each his own, but I do not see a reason stopping the big N from just stopping this service and saving a buck. "
The News Channel is more like a digital newspaper. 

Its mission is to showcase the latest headlines from around the world. 

Not have a bunch of silly ads covering up a website that just so happens to have some news information. 

The biggest difference between the channel and a website, is that the news channel does not archive information like a website does. 

I also use the forecast channel from time to time. 
#8 Posted by Drebin_893 (2902 posts) -
@insouciant said:
How many people own a Wii?  I don't know, 100 million? 
Close. About 68 million as of December 31st 2009. Oh wait, not close at all.
#9 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -
@Drebin_893:
How did you look that up?  I tried and just kept getting sales reports for the month of February 2010, or the quarter from June 2008 to August 2008.
#10 Edited by Drebin_893 (2902 posts) -
@insouciant:  
Google's amazing.
#11 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@Emilio said:
" @demontium said:
" @Willy105 said:
I cannot believe people actually use this.  It seems so antiproductive- news is supposed to be easy and searchable (aka use the internet). I mean to each his own, but I do not see a reason stopping the big N from just stopping this service and saving a buck. "
The News Channel is more like a digital newspaper.  Its mission is to showcase the latest headlines from around the world.  Not have a bunch of silly ads covering up a website that just so happens to have some news information.  The biggest difference between the channel and a website, is that the news channel does not archive information like a website does.  I also use the forecast channel from time to time.  "
Not every site has ads you know, and archived news is good.
#12 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @Emilio said:
" @demontium said:
" @Willy105 said:
The News Channel is more like a digital newspaper.  Its mission is to showcase the latest headlines from around the world.  Not have a bunch of silly ads covering up a website that just so happens to have some news information.  The biggest difference between the channel and a website, is that the news channel does not archive information like a website does.  I also use the forecast channel from time to time.  "
Not every site has ads you know, and archived news is good. "
Most News publications use AP anyways.
#13 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@Godwind said:
" @demontium said:
" @Emilio said:
" @demontium said:
" @Willy105 said:
Most News publications use AP anyways. "
True, but:  http://www.ap.org/ *ad free
#14 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

@Emilio: 

I also use the forecast channel from time to time.       

I stopped using the Forecast Channel because it's information is always 1 to 3 hours old.  For overseas areas like Japan or the UK it can be up to 8 hours old.

#15 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -
#16 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@insouciant said:
" @demontium: 

True, but:  http://www.ap.org/ *ad free  

That's not true.  It does have ads once you click on any of the articles. "
...oh, my browser (google chrome) doesn't show them (went back to it on mozilla and it does); can't you just ignore the ads and search news quicker?
#17 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @Godwind said:
" @demontium said:
" @Emilio said:
" @demontium said:
" @Willy105 said:
Most News publications use AP anyways. "
True, but:  http://www.ap.org/ *ad free "
It is also a Non-profit organization.
#18 Posted by Hamst3r (4451 posts) -
@demontium said:
I cannot believe people actually use this.  It seems so antiproductive-"

People will go to ridiculous lengths to avoid using a computer for stuff. It's weird.
#19 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

I'm a real man, so I still read newspapers.

#20 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

@demontium: 

can't you just ignore the ads and search news quicker? 

Yeah, if I really wanted to search the news as quickly as possible I would use my PC, but the News Channel is about the experience.  You get to see it in your living room on the big screen with other people.  Plus it's ad free, and it has other features like Slide Show where it just shows the headline of each story one by one, and the globe spins to the location of that story as you go.  And it plays soothing elevator music.  And it never says anything bad about Nintendo.
#21 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

Like if Nintendo was Toyota, the news channel would just say "Toyota: Now Moving Forward Better Than Ever!"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.