I turned on my Wii today...

Posted by moelarrycurly (668 posts) -

...to play Super Mario World on the VC.  Nostalgia got the better of me.

Iggy is still a pushover.
I still find it incredible how infrequently I use that little white box.  The last disc-based game I played on it?  Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door for the Gamecube, and that was nearly two months ago.  And yet, I don't really miss it.  Last Wii game I played?  Metroid: Other M, and I finished that one back in October.

I'm beginning to doubt how much I actually care about The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword at this point.  In all seriousness, I could replay A Link to the Past and be as (if not more) entertained.  I don't get it... I guess I'm officially in the left-behind Nintendo fanboy category.  Welcome to 2008, I suppose.
#1 Posted by moelarrycurly (668 posts) -

...to play Super Mario World on the VC.  Nostalgia got the better of me.

Iggy is still a pushover.
I still find it incredible how infrequently I use that little white box.  The last disc-based game I played on it?  Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door for the Gamecube, and that was nearly two months ago.  And yet, I don't really miss it.  Last Wii game I played?  Metroid: Other M, and I finished that one back in October.

I'm beginning to doubt how much I actually care about The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword at this point.  In all seriousness, I could replay A Link to the Past and be as (if not more) entertained.  I don't get it... I guess I'm officially in the left-behind Nintendo fanboy category.  Welcome to 2008, I suppose.
#2 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

The only time I considered buying the Wii was to play old Nintendo games on Virtual Console. Then I noticed that the Wii didn't even have a hard drive and got annoyed.

#3 Posted by Sarkhan (1196 posts) -
@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
" The only time I considered buying the Wii was to play old Nintendo games on Virtual Console. Then I noticed that the Wii didn't even have a hard drive and got annoyed. "
This is exactly what i thought right after launch as well. I'd love me som SMW and A link to the Past again, but didn't happen :(
#4 Posted by Omega (829 posts) -

Sometimes I think maybe I shouldn't have bought the Wii. But then I remember that without it I wouldn't have bought Super Mario 3 on the virtual console and discovered that it is the greatest Super Mario game of all time.  Until then I had foolishly thought that Super Mario World was the best. I still feel a little bit of shame for going a good 20 years without ever having played it.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (35995 posts) -

I turned my Wii on yesterday to play some Goldeneye. That's when I found out that the press can be full of lying buttholes who lie out of their lying buttholes.

#6 Posted by Lev (109 posts) -

I turned on my Wii today...

Now see... this is the sort of thing the news stations should be covering. I'm tired of hearing the same ol' "war/poverty/uprising/dissent in [insert country's name here". It's not everyday someone turns on their Wii, so this is worth hearing about.

How was it? Did it still work? Did you feel like you were moving around in the game?I wish I could report I've turned mine on in the past year.
#7 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4594 posts) -
@moelarrycurly: I wouldn't say it's the "left behind fanboy" category so much as the "I'm too old for this shit" category.

Nintendo has and will always target children. If you're an adult and happen to enjoy their games, that's good too, but there comes a time for most of us when we just don't get the same enjoyment out of children's games as we did when we were children. Just a part of growing up. A lot of hardcore Nintendo fans see this as them betraying their original customers, or the people who supported them through the lean years, but that's not the case. Nintendo has always been making the same kind of games on the same kind of dev cycle. The only difference is that the older we got, the more we realized they didn't have much to offer us anymore. 

So I guess, congratulations. Nothing wrong with nostalgia, but I wouldn't beat myself up for not appreciating Nintendo or their games. I wouldn't even condemn them for "focusing on the casual market", because since the beginning of Nintendo that's the only market they've been interested in.
#8 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -
@KingWilly: Is nostalgia a part of it, possibly. But I wouldn't been playing Nintendo games if there wasn't quality to them, and that still stands true.
Thus it in each ones option if you like Nintendo's idea of a videogame or not.
#9 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4594 posts) -
@Kjellm87: The argument against Nintendo I've kept hearing has nothing to do with the game's quality, but rather how infrequent their first party games are released. This wasn't readily apparent in the NES -> SNES days because third party developers knew where their bread was buttered. That changed with the PlayStation, and during the N64 years - especially during those years, I'd say - a lot of fans began to notice just how infrequent Nintendo first party releases were.
#10 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

Mines in a box somewhere I'm gonna wait for it to become a collector's item (in about 75 years) before getting rid of it

#11 Posted by Wraxend (551 posts) -

@Yanngc33 said:

"Mines in a box somewhere I'm gonna wait for it to become a collector's item (in about 75 years) before getting rid of it "

Yeah I'd have to unbox mine aswell, don't know about it being a collectors item though the amount of people who have bought them.

#12 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -
@KingWilly: That is true,  there could be more "in-between" games, which has been the main problem with Wii.
As a guy who appreciate what Nintendo has been doing with industry through the years, I hope they tackle that problem in the future. 
#13 Posted by HypotheticalSolution76 (139 posts) -

Right now New Super Mario Bros Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns keep me coming back to the Wii. SMG2 rocketed my fanboyism to a whole new level man. I have a backlog of games and so many that I really want to at least try. Some WiiWare games that I don't normally think would be my style I'd like to try. I know that 1080p and flashyness are the dominant in game-talk, but playing Mario with the component cables on an HD TV is just fine for me. Also I came back around to the Wii after playing 360 and PS3 for awhile. It has become a new way of thinking for me - I don't need complex plots, fancy cinematics, or high-res HD to make a game fun or qualified for my time anymore. I really have changed around my thinking, and have been rewarded by Nintendo games (1st and 3rd party) that are fun to play and keep my attention level. 

I'd be interested to see if other Nintendo fans recently came back to the Wii, DS, etc.. after having played the other systems for awhile, and now are focusing their time on Nintendo games that came out and were missed because we were concentrating on some of the other AAA titles that came out at the same time.

I raise my hand as a reconfirmed Wii proud owner and gameplayer with a reach back to my roots. cheers.
#14 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -

You should buy Just Dance 2. Just give into your lust man, you know you want to. Just Dance, it will be ok. 

All kidding aside look into Kirby's Epic Yarn, it's a great game. 
#15 Posted by mariokart64fan (366 posts) -

seriously people there was alot of good games on the wii people pass up , and i own like over 100 wii disc games ,

with games like bully schalorship edition

driver paralel lines

manhunt 2

zack and wiki

red steel 2

conduit ,

no more heroes 1 and 2 ,

cod 3 etc ,

people need to try some of the top tier third party games like goldeneye cod series etc , maybe your wii would not collect dust ,

ive also used the vc alot to , though it did die down , cause i dont see the game i want yet

i got most of the ones i wanted on there, such as marioparty 2 2 mariokarts zombies ate my neighbors ghoal patrol ,

etc

if any console this gen has ate the dust its the ps3 , i paid like 600 for this thing and since most of the third party games have been better on xbox360 i have bought them on 360 and the ones i did buy for ps3 are ones i buy multi versions of ,

and the fact most of sonys ips have been very overhyped then end up disappointments -such as gran turismo 5 that was probably one of the most hyped games ever , ended up being slow paced , no damage -i hear you gotta unlock that -well you know what , most games who dont claim to be the ultimate driving simulator come standard with every feature like that so what gives , and uc3 -at a mear 7.5 really has me wondoring whats wrong with this gen

if it is not a fps they seam to not give much effort into it , and the fact twisted metal has tooken so long -me still waiting , for that one , it is worst them waiting for a zelda game for the wii ,

because well at least i know its polished , full of content , and i wont have to pay 5 or more bucks for extra stuff to be in it ,

that said ,, ----- ill keep my wii plugged in for quite a while as for ps3 well , it has to start giving me good games other wise its 360 wii 3ds ds ps2 for me lol

#16 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

@mariokart64fan: You need to stop bumping all these old threads. We get it, you love your Wii, but you're not going to convince anyone else here.

#17 Posted by mariokart64fan (366 posts) -

well when people start making new ones , thats what happens what you want from me , make 100 different threads, then get my stuff locked cause ya think its spam ya, ok, you dont get the right to judge unless your a moderator do not insist on telling me --- i shouldnt bump an old thread whats better,

using a thread thats already here to speakl my mind or create one thats the same as this one thus creating a flood - like they do over at gamespot-one of the reasons i left,

i aint gonna be wasting my time creating somthing thats already here, it was on the first page, so its not bumping an old thread,

ratherr use this one then just create another - why so you can say then --- theres already one on the first page, ya get real

#18 Posted by Enemtee (25 posts) -

@HypotheticalSolution76: Yeah, I feel the same. I've played a lot of PC-games, PS3 and some PSP for a few years. But since a few months back I started using my Wii much more, both at home and one of my friends actually did the same. I even bought a 3DS, which I'm really happy with. I don't understand all the negative talk about Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7, they are both wonderful games that fit the platform.

I guess some people are stuck with the really old Nintendo-games, and some are not. I don't like the older Nintendo-games so much, I prefer the newer ones. I never liked N64 or the SNES. I played NES because I were given one when I were a child, not more than that. I came back with Gamecube and had a real great time. Then the PS2, PS3, Xbox, and recently PC have become more central, because of friends playing it, not so much because I prefer it myself. But I'm back with the Wii and the 3DS. I'm looking forward to the Wii U :-)

#19 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

skyward sword is a great game and if you have a wii and don't play it you are missing out imo

#20 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

Aww, I was expecting an erotic novel featuring the nintendo wii.

will be disappointed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.