Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

If Nintendo made their next platform....

Sparkcil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sparkcil

Not backwards compatible.

That would suck.

Personally, I'm hoping that Nintendo sticks with the Wii for a lengthy length-of-time. Every one of Nintendos console systems has been very different (N64, GCN, Wii), but I like the Wii. I don't want it to change.

I think that in the future, Nintendo could release graphical/technical updates.. Like the Wii Motion Plus, but perhaps something that you plunk into one/both of the back USB port/s. I'm sure they could figure out how to supply a graphical update through that. Don't say it's impossible. RedOctane managed to turn the DS' GBA output slot into an input slot. It's possible. Don't question it.

I like the Wii. I like how it looks. I like how it feels. Sure, there are some slight problems (like heat), that could be improved upon.. But I don't think it's worth taking the time and the money to produce a new console. The Wii works. By next March it is predicted that fifty million (50,000,000) Wii's will have been sold. A new console would split buyers.

Spoons:

-What if the next Nintendo console didn't play Gamecube games, or even Wii games?

-If/When Nintendo will make another console? Will you buy it? Do you want a new Nintendo console sooner or later?

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By pause422

Seeing as the Wii plays GC games,and has a ton of games dl'able from the Virtual Console,I think playing as much of nintendo's games on their platform is the plan. I doubt they would ever make one backwards compatible.

I have heard recently though(apparently 100% confirmed) nintendo has a new console in the works,idk if its a handheld,or console,but several places have said "a successor to the wii". So I guess we'll just have to see.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I doubt they would do that. Although they might remove GC compatibility.

Jordan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Jordan23

Nintendo next console will be targeted for the hardcore gamers.

thebobster10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By thebobster10
    Jordan23 said:
    "Nintendo's next console will be targeted for the hardcore gamers.
    "
    I certainly hope so.
    Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Dark_Link142

Not backwards compatible? *Does not compute!*

But seriously, I don't think it would be smart on Nintendo's part if it wasn't backwards compatible. People get to catch up on older Nintendo titles and they gain popularity. If it reaches enough, who knows? Perhaps a sequel or something?

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By HazBazz

If Nintendo keeps targeting my grandma instead of me I won't be buying their next console. Screw it, I'll get my Zelda fix some other way.

Sparkcil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sparkcil
    pause422 said:

"Seeing as the Wii plays GC games,and has a ton of games dl'able from the Virtual Console,I think playing as much of nintendo's games on their platform is the plan. I doubt they would ever make one backwards compatible.

I have heard recently though(apparently 100% confirmed) nintendo has a new console in the works,idk if its a handheld,or console,but several places have said "a successor to the wii". So I guess we'll just have to see.
    "

Well, pretty much all of the biggies start working on (brainstorming is working on...) their next console as soon as the last one releases. 
    It's the same way how the Zelda or Mario team starts working on a new game as soon as the last one is released. The start brainstorming, reading the players' opinions (hopefully!!), etc..

MattyFTM said:

"I doubt they would do that. Although they might remove GC compatibility.
    "

I hope not! While the Gamecube's was not looked at as a graphically-outstanding platform, it had some of the best games of all time.
    clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By clarke0
    Jordan23 said:
    "
    You mean that all their current casual consumers will suddenly turn into hardcore gamers? I doubt it. Although apparently Mario Kart Wii has gained a casual audience so perhaps they are moving upstream.
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By brukaoru

They would immediately be killing their market. I guarantee more then enough people would be upset at no backwards compatibility that they wouldn't even think of buying it.

Jordan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Jordan23
    clarke0 said:
    "Jordan23 said:
    "
    You mean that all their current casual consumers will suddenly turn into hardcore gamers? I doubt it. Although apparently Mario Kart Wii has gained a casual audience so perhaps they are moving upstream.
    "
    What I mean is that Nintendo current buyers are casual gamers. Most parents aren't going to buy their kids a Playstation 3 or Xbox 360... the obvious choice is the kid friendly, Nintendo Wii. As far as backward compatibility, this is an absolute must for the next crop of next-gen consoles, I'll be damn if I'm going to invest money into a gaming console that won't allow me to play my past generation games.
    Happy_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Happy_Cloud

I want HD. I really do. HD Zelda, HD Metroid, HD F-Zero etc.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By SSbabel

I cant see Nintendo topping the wII in a gameplay sense, the only thing they can possibly top is the GFX lets just hope they do.

kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By kenzo287

their next console will probably be a shell that you plug your Wii into and it upps the graphics into hd and adds a hdd

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Cube

They should have backwards compatibility

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By TheJollyRajah

All I expect from Nintendo is a respectable line-up for it's legitimate fans. Where's Kid Icarus? Where's Zelda Wii? Where's Starfox? Where's Punch Out Wii???...........

There were so many things Nintendo could've mentioned at E3... and they didn't. Why does Nintendo need to enshroud itself in secrecy and keep everyone guessing when the next "big" game is shown and then announce Wiiiiiii....................Music?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I haven't enjoyed my Wii since March..... when Smash Brothers was released..... and it looks like I won't be doing so for another year or two. It seems as if Nintendo lacks concern for  the veteran gamer.

Oh well, it doesn't matter, because in the end, I have two other awesome consoles with real games for real gamers. Adiós.

HitNRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HitNRun

Considering how small and un-intensive Wii and GameCube games are, I would be shocked if their next console wasn't backwards compatible.

Just think of how much ground Nintendo gained on its competitors on that score. "Well, you can play your gamecube games if you're bored" was their mantra for months between titles. And just look at the PS2 sales - still going strong at over $100 a pop. You think some of those people would be saving for PS3s if it had BWC?

Heck, Nintendo could have gained even more if they did the Virtual Console right. I personally was going to get a Wii at release but I ended up not buying one because they disappointed me with the small, slow, expensive library. I thought they were going to have like half of each system's library up at launch with NES and SNES games being much cheaper. I mean, come on, these things are free on the Internet and most of them are worth 10 minutes and a couple lols at best.

So yes, backwards compatibility makes a big difference, despite what game journalists will tell you on their podcasts (cough Jeff cough).

dwarfzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dwarfzilla

Maybe they'll try to have two consoles out, with the new one being more traditional with great graphics and a less innovative control scheme.

Earthbounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Earthbounder

I think they will keep that.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By SSbabel

Rephrase that, they are making there next playform.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By KingBroly

Wii 2 will play Wii games, not GameCube games.  Thus, it will not support the GameCube controller or Memory cards.

Sparkcil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sparkcil
    KingBroly said:
    "Wii 2 will play Wii games, not GameCube games.  Thus, it will not support the GameCube controller or Memory cards.
    "
    OHMIGOSH! What about GCN controllers for Brawl, Mario Kart, and just as importantly, the virtual console?!
    Stupid decision if the next console doesn't support Wii and Gamecube... Because the Gamecube controller is useable with so many things on the Wii..
    Pezjulo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pezjulo

As long as it doesnt become like the Genesis...it had so many add-ons that it looked like a completely different (and bulky) machine

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dalai

Backwards compatibility is practically standard today... with the exception of the PS3.  I doubt Nintendo will abandon backwards compatibility.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.