Is Midway Working On A Wii2 Project?

#1 Edited by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -
#2 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2305 posts) -

The i key is not very close to the 2 key, so it doesn't seem like a typo.

On the other hand, it's possible that Wii2 is just shorthand for 'the next generation of Nintendo hardware".

#3 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

I am betting "mistake".  Not enough information to draw any real conclusions.

#4 Posted by Creamypies (4044 posts) -

Wait... Midway are still active?

#5 Edited by Jeust (10450 posts) -
@oldschool said:

" I am betting "mistake".  Not enough information to draw any real conclusions. "

me too, since on a recent interview Nintendo claimed that for creating a wii2 they will want more than the adherence to the HD format. So it might be a while till it is announced. 
#6 Posted by BrickRoad (702 posts) -
Seems like an error to me. The two ii or II in the Wii name could be confused with a 2 if you weren't sure what you're doing. The 360 is missing off Xbox too.
#7 Posted by fugie7 (1105 posts) -
@creamypies:  yeah midway is still active, they just been bought by warner bros. so expect a lot of movie games from them now.
#8 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

At this point a new Wii just seems obvious. Though I hope it is called the Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.

#9 Posted by Creamypies (4044 posts) -
@fugie7 said:
" @creamypies:  yeah midway is still active, they just been bought by warner bros. so expect a lot of movie games from them now. "
I thought WB only bought the Mortal Kombat team?
#10 Edited by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

If he's based in Durham, and worked on Wheelman - wouldn't that mean he worked for Midway Newcastle? And Midway Newcastle closed down because it wasn't part of the WB takeover and they couldn't find a buyer for the studio. So that information is out of date & been there for a long while. Which makes it seem more and more likely to be a mistake. The studio closed in January, and to have been working on a full project for Wii2, I'd assume they would have had to have had the dev kit for a couple of months before that. So we're looking at Dev Kit's being available in November if it is real. And that seems like a loooooong time to have dev kits out there without any sort of official announcement from Nintendo, or at least other rumours about Dev Kits being out there.

#11 Posted by Jeff (3400 posts) -

"Midway" isn't working on anything, because "Midway" doesn't exist. WB kept the Chicago team and the Seattle group that was working on This Is Vegas and previously did The Suffering. 

That profile is way out of date and probably refers to some ideas Newcastle had that were so far off in the development pipeline that they even started thinking about the next generation of hardware. It definitely doesn't mean that they had devkits or knew anything specific about a Wii successor or anything like that. One of those games is probably Necessary Force, the game Midway Newcastle started showing off right before they were shut down, hoping that the new IP would get them enough attention to get bought and saved. 

Or to put it another way: this is not news.

Staff
#12 Edited by fugie7 (1105 posts) -

@creamypies:

well what i read was that the contract between Warner brothers that they did buy mortal kombat along with other licenses games. Also they got some studio's out of the deal to but they left out the San diego studio  which was later sold to THQ. So i was wrong to say that Warner Brothers owns all of midway when THQ brought them to.
#13 Posted by Jeffery (545 posts) -
@creamypies said:
"Wait... Midway are still active? "

Ermmm...yes.
#14 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

I'm not keen on 'Wii Two'. Would prefer 'Twii'.

#15 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -
@jonnyboy said:
" I'm not keen on 'Wii Two'. Would prefer 'Twii'. "
Then in 6 months time when nintendo decide to re-iterate on it - making it half form and a bit more portable - it can be known as the:- 

twii-lite 

fuck
#16 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -
@OmegaPirate said:
" @jonnyboy said:
" I'm not keen on 'Wii Two'. Would prefer 'Twii'. "
Then in 6 months time when nintendo decide to re-iterate on it - making it half form and a bit more portable - it can be known as the:-  twii-lite  fuck "
Oh God.

Oh God no.
#17 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -
How dare you give us erroneous information, Linky. We trust you to provide us with the most up-to-date, factual news in the industry, and instead you turn on us and mislead us with false stories about Midway being alive and the Wii 2 coming to destroy us all.

I expected better, Linky. I really did.

I'd post that Son, I am disappoint image, but I can't remember where I put it.
#18 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:

@emkeighcameron:  As I've already told Jeff, there are numerous sites that have reported this story, there' also nothing within the OP that suggests that it is fact or that it is "news" as he states. Or that I think it's fact myself. Midway continues to exist until the court proceeding are finished with, form what I understand the legal proceedings are on going up until sometime in May when they're due to cease. "
I know, I'm just trollin'

I'm really not that sad that Midway is "gone" (its current state of weird court limbo not withstanding, I don't think they can do much game development while they're stuck like that). I wasn't a fan of any of their games.
#19 Posted by jakob187 (21640 posts) -
@Linkyshinks: Yeah, Jeff liked it.  That doesn't mean the game was good.  Actually, it was clunky as Hell, the controls on the 360 were terrible, and the animations were as stiff as Peter North.
#20 Edited by Karmum (11516 posts) -

"Wii 2" meaning it's the successor to the Wii is as likely as the "Xbox" listings being intended for the original Xbox. At least, in my opinion.

#21 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Karmum said:
" "Wii 2" meaning it's the successor to the Wii is as likely as the "Xbox" listings being intended for the original Xbox. At least, in my opinion. "
I was going to pint the lack of "360" next to Xbox, but I was too lazy.  Lucky we have you  :-)
#22 Posted by Jeffsekai (7025 posts) -
@Linkyshinks: Why are you so pissed off?
#23 Posted by Jimbo (9769 posts) -

I don't know who Mr. Jared is, but that's a pretty absurd position to take, unless you also believe the majority of people buying fighting games are playing them at some super advanced level.  You could apply that warped logic to almost any genre or game out there.

#24 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@Linkyshinks: MMM, I... IDK what to say. 

They may be able to make it more powerful than Nintendo but, I just hope the first party takes this project up. 

Needs to be at least 720p.
#25 Posted by jakob187 (21640 posts) -
@creamypies said:
"Wait... Midway are still active? "

That's what I thought as well.  Jeff had said in another thread that said Midway was still active that they are not and that it may not be an updated profile...but this seems like a very active and updated profile.  In turn...the idea of a new generation of Wii hardware...as well as Midway being active in some fashion...is very intriguing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.