Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Is this thingy worth getting?

Anteater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Anteater

I'm thinking about getting a Wii,so i want to ask if its worth it. The fact most third party titles suck doesn't concern me :P

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Lashe

Try to find one used for £60/$99 and yeah it could provide you with a good bit of fun on the cheap.  

Also, Jeff totally has one.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By Icemael

If you're prepared to look for good games, the Wii is totally worth getting.

If you're just going to play Nintendo's high-profile stuff, ignore the few good third-party games that do get publicity and then whine about how "the Wii doesn't have any games", no.

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By 02sfraser

The Wii has some brilliant games nestled under the 'Wave a wii-mote party' shit. They are fairly cheap now so I would say it's worth it.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Pie
    @Icemael said:
    " If you're prepared to look for good games, the Wii is totally worth getting.

If you're just going to play Nintendo's high-profile stuff, ignore the few good third-party games that do get publicity and then whine about how "the Wii doesn't have any games", no. "
    The wii doesn't have any games
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By MikkaQ

Personally, after owning mine for a couple years, I still don't think it was quite worth the money. It never gets played much compared to my other platforms.

Anteater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Anteater
    @Icemael:@XII_Sniper:@WinterSnowblind:
    Well sirs,thank you very much :3

WII HERE I COME
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I don't play it anywhere near as much as my other consoles, it definitely has much fewer releases. 

But I certainly don't regret the purchase.  The games it does have make it more than worth it..  Mario Galaxy, Smash Brothers, Little King, etc, are really amazing.  The new Donkey Kong and Kirby games coming this year look great too.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NTM

No. Wii sits in dust. That's all it ever will do. I'm not saying the Wii "sucks" but it's the system out of the rest that you'll play the least. I find it kind of awkward how Super Mario Galaxy 2 gets 10's all around, in yet no one talks about it after they review it, nor do I hear about it now. All the good games on Wii won't keep you coming back if you aready have great games on other systems.
    Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Djeffers03

I played my wii for about 2 weeks when I first got it and 3 years on have only turned it on once or twice more. No is your answer unless your into all the first party nintendo stuff, but in my opinion all of that sucks.

MrMuffinzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrMuffinzzz

When your 360 breaks like mine, itt'l be your best friend! Honestly, it's a great system with some titles that really slip under the radar. I suggest picking up Muramasa: The Demon Blade with your wii, it's really good.

Anteater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Anteater
    @Djeffers03: I absolute LOVE Nintendo's first party stuff,and i LOVED the GameCube so ya

@MrMuffinzzz:
    Thank you good sir :D! I should be picking up the Wii next month,and i'll buy 3 games for it so i guess Muramas :D
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By CharleyTony

I would say it depends how hard you had to work for your money. I just bought one about 2 months ago ( I already had everything else except the psp) and I am having fun with it but even though I just got it, it is the system I use the least. 

I really wanted to play NSMB, Mario Galaxy and all those other games that you cannot get anywhere else but in the end I am happy that this is the system I picked up last. It's not that it is bad, I like it. The problem is that the system is really limited when you compare it to the PS3 and Xbox 360. If you have a big HDTV, you might have a hard time enoying the graphics. Maybe on a smaller HDTV those issues would go away... 
    here is what I tried: -on a SDTV it looks okay, on a 32" LCD (720p) it looks good and in my living room, on a 56" HDTV (1080p) it looks terrible. 

I guess if your expectations aren't too high, you can enjoy that purchase. Then again, do you really need it ? 
    In the end, my love for Nintendo first party games was totally taken care of by simply owning a Nintendo DS.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By Willy105

It's the best console from my experience this generation, so I say go for it.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Willy105 said:

" It's the best console from my experience this generation, so I say go for it. "

You don't have any other system, do you? I don't mind you saying that the Wii is your favorite, but the best console this gen? The Wii doesn't support: DVD or Blu-Ray, HD graphics, Online play (only exists for a few select games). These are all things that the PS3 and 360 have. The Wii is stuck in a warped past where Nintendo seems to think people still care about motion controls, and even that's gonna change with Kinect and Move. It might be your favorite, but the best it certainly is not.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Willy105
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " @Willy105 said:

" It's the best console from my experience this generation, so I say go for it. "

You don't have any other system, do you? I don't mind you saying that the Wii is your favorite, but the best console this gen? The Wii doesn't support: DVD or Blu-Ray, HD graphics, Online play (only exists for a few select games). These are all things that the PS3 and 360 have. The Wii is stuck in a warped past where Nintendo seems to think people still care about motion controls, and even that's gonna change with Kinect and Move. It might be your favorite, but the best it certainly is not. "

I don't see how being able to play DVD, Blu-Ray, or have HD graphics, or non-existent online play keep it from being a bad console. They are great things, but in the end don't matter much in gaming. 

I don't think it's stuck in a warped past, heck, since as you said, Microsoft and Sony are trying to go where they are going. Kinect and Move seem nice, well Move does, but it's hardly worth noticing when the Wii is out there with better games, especially when we don't know if Kinect or Move will even be successful.

The Wii is my favorite because it delivered the best this generation. Sure, Civilization Revolution and Nuts and Bolts are awesome, but it's just a sea of generic stuff out there.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17  Edited By Geno

The simple answer is, if it will be your first/only console then no.  

Sparse online functionality, last gen graphics, lack of big third party titles, imprecise controller with huge input lag...the list goes on. Also, it's overpriced; there's no way the system costs more than ~50 dollars to build and ship yet they are selling it for $150 in most SKUS (after minusing the cost of the controller). The PS3 at $250 (minusing cost of controller) has only just broken even, implying that it costs as much to make as it's sold for. Therefore you're getting more for your money with other systems. 

Since both the PS3 and 360 are getting motion controls, just about the only claim the Wii has at the moment is AAA Nintendo first parties. There aren't anywhere else to get them, and most of them are quite excellent. Unfortunately only 1-2 are released a year. I turned on my Wii for Mario Galaxy 2 this year. I will probably only turn it on again for Kirby's Epic Yarn for the foreseeable future. That's pretty dismal. 

I have a Wii, but only because I have both a gaming PC and PS3 as well. I can't imagine who would be satisfied with just a Wii this generation. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Willy105:  Online play and better graphics don't matter?! Wow, you are the Nintendo dream customer.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

If you are one of those people that believe good video games are only in HD and freak out about the technical deficiencies of Wii, then no don't get one.

However, if you really don't care about any of that dribble and can handle playing a game in non HD (a feat  a lot of these sissies can't seem to handle) then I say go for it dude. If you love the franchises that Nintendo has put out over the years, then there really is no way you could lose.

Happy gaming!

toadstule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By toadstule

Surprisingly, the Wii has pretty much been the only console I've been playing this summer (usually play the 360) . Been keeping myself busy with Madworld, Galaxy 2, No More Heroes, and now Metroid: Other M. Basically, if you like Nintendo games then I'd recommend a Wii. There are also good 3rd party games out there if you are willing to look hard enough but they are often buried under piles and piles of shovel-ware.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Willy105
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " @Willy105:  Online play and better graphics don't matter?! Wow, you are the Nintendo dream customer. "
    How cute.
    ipsilonv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ipsilonv

I think I'm an ideal nintendo customer.. since I don't care for online play, since it's plagued by horrible videogames and horrible communities. And graphics are nice, but they hardly matter.

Of course it's not this simple though. First of all, even if online and graphics don't matter to me, they may matter to you. I am of the philosophy that a game needs to stand on it''s own with it's single-player mode... and online should just be a nice addition.  As for graphics.. well, it'd be beautiful to have Zelda in HD.. but ZELDA, not some other unpolished game. 

Zelda is enough for me to buy a wii. And all other games that nintendo releases are awesome bonuses. Also some other gems like Muramasa, etc.

The Wii's hardware is pretty horrible. And as a nintendo-fan (of sorts). It bothers me to not see a newer console.. even announced. That said however, PS3 and Xbox 360 don't pull out the polish of nintendo 1st party games. (but ps3 does get Valkyria Chronicles.. which is insanely good)

Think about it a lot...  It's money you are spending, and it's something that superficially might not be as engaging as it's competition. And this superficial factor really bothers 90% in the population. make sure you are in the 10% before you use your hard-earned money.

j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By j_drace

Yeah, it's really good as a side console if you are a hardcore gamer.  If you are a casual gamer it's the perfect console.  If you want to take your Wii experience to another level try smoking a blunt before playing it.  Mario Kart Wii will be the craziest shit ever.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By owl_of_minerva

For those that think the Wii has no games or no 3rd-party games, you are quite simply wrong, or too lazy to find what's out there. There may not be as many high-profile dudebro games, but there are some exceedingly good games on it, and as a gamer one should play as many good games as possible, within the limitations of finance. How many people just own one console these days anyways?
    MushroomSamba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By MushroomSamba

If you care about Mario, Metroid, and Zelda, then yeah, you should probably pick up a Wii. Kirby and DKC will make their return in the coming months as well. There's also a few cheap gems to be found on the WiiWare front (Mega Man 9 and 10, Cave Story, And Yet It Moves, Lost Winds, Bit Trip games). So yeah, if those franchises don't mean anything to you, then you're probably missing out on 90% of the Wii's lure.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By FacelessVixen

Not for me, but then again I never felt like getting any games for it. Nothing of interest.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By TehFlan
    @President_Barackbar:
    Online play is unneccesary and HD graphics are just icing on the cake, they don't make or break a game. 
    If I want to play games with other people, I'll have some friends come over, not play online with some idiot that expresses his fondness for weed in his username. 
    But seriously, Xbox live has the worst community I've ever seen. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.