Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Iwata Points to 79 Third Party Successes on Wii & DS

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata has stated to investors that he believes it's possible for third parties to achieve great success on Wii (and DS), despite Nintendo's clear dominance. In the report, he made mention of 79 third party successes on Wii and DS so far

"Also, in the U.S., the third parties titles sold more on Nintendo hardware than on any other platforms for two consecutive months. Some had pointed out in the past that few third party software were successful on Nintendo platforms.

As of the end of March 2008, there were only twelve titles for Wii by third parties whose global unit sales from the launches exceeded one million, and this figure excluded titles from Nintendo and Pokémon Company. However, this number jumped to thirty at the end of December 2008.

Likewise, at the end of March 2008, there were 28 third party DS titles which made the million-sellers list, but the number reached 49 titles at the end of December. As the hardware expand their installed bases, we are starting to see a cycle where more titles from the third parties are making the million sellers list."

Read the full Nintendo Investor Relations report  here

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Willy105

Iwata, Iwata, Iwata, when is Reggie coming back?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

all I can say now is that the Wii sux i hate the system and the company the fact that 79 3rd party games all of which likely didn't appear on the other systems  sold well because you have no real 1st party games on your system doesn't mean alot.
    And i bet about 80% of them are shovel ware.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Willy105
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "all I can say now is that the Wii sux i hate the system and the company the fact that 75 3rd party games all of which likely didn't appear on the other systems  sold well because you have no real 1st party games on your system doesn't mean alot.
    And i bet about 80% of them are shovel ware."
    Shovelware doesn't sell very well on the Wii.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#5  Edited By LordAndrew

Can he name them? Anyone can say there's a bunch of great third-party games available for the Wii and DS.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    Willy105 said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    "all I can say now is that the Wii sux i hate the system and the company the fact that 75 3rd party games all of which likely didn't appear on the other systems  sold well because you have no real 1st party games on your system doesn't mean alot.
    Shovelware doesn't sell very well on the Wii."
    Sept it does, which is why 99% of software on the system is shovelware, hell some of its even nintendo made.
    *wii sports shovelware, wii games, wii party...ect* all shovel ware.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Meowayne

WilliamRLBaker, nobody wants stupid, unmediated System Wars here, kthxbai.

On-Topic: Duh, of course there are successful third party titles on the DS. Out of these 80 titles, 65 are  probably DS titles.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By super_machine

79 games, the majority of which I would never want to play. Ok, he can boast because those games made some money, but do they really satisfy the people who love to play video games? From what I've seen in a lot of 3rd party wii games that is a big no. Just look at the wii game case next time you go shopping. There are some diamonds in the rough, but most of the 3rd party wii games arent worth my money. I know a lot of people who own a wii, but I dont know a lot of people who still buy games for the thing.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    Meowayne said:
    "WilliamRLBaker, nobody wants stupid, unmediated System Wars here, kthxbai.

On-Topic: Duh, of course there are successful third party titles on the DS. Out of these 80 titles, 65 are  probably DS titles.
    "
    I gave my opinion and why aren't you on lord andrew? he basically said what i said, can iwata name the GREAT venerable 75 3rd party titles that sold well on the Wii? or will it turn out they are cookie cutter shovelware?

P.S: the Wii sux.
    P.P.S: and its a fact 99% of wii software is shovelware.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=pd_ts_h?pf_rd_p=264215701&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_t=2101&pf_rd_i=home&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1SDD9S17SZT1SJ533GFC

all most all the Wii games *including Wii FIT* are shovelware and they seem to be selling really well on amazon.com
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#10  Edited By LordAndrew

I'm on. I just like to watch people argue with each other.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    LordAndrew said:
    "I'm on. I just like to watch people argue with each other."
    and i like to start the fights.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks

WilliamRLBaker said:

WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Willy105 said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    Shovelware doesn't sell very well on the Wii."
    Sept it does, which is why 99% of software on the system is shovelware, hell some of its even nintendo made.
    *wii sports shovelware, wii games, wii party...ect* all shovel ware."

William, respectfully, you never fail to make me chuckle with your replies lol. It's not at all a case of what you say, but more the tone of it. You sound angry dude!, It's almost like these stories wind you up. Chillout!. I actually agree with some of the sentiments of yours, in previous posts, concerning Nintendo successes and certain games, but fuck man, like you keep telling us all every time, you got rid of your Wii!. lol.  I am perplexed as to why it seems to draw this anger all the time. You must have been a big Nintendo fan once upon a time, huh? 

The fact is your statement of the Wii having 99% shovelware is BS, even if funny. There are in fact quite a few games on Wii already that are genuinely cool games, games well worth owning even if you have all the systems as I do. I wonder myself how these games managed to evade you in the time you had yours, and also why you ultimately lost faith that Nintendo would deliver on the promise of Wii.

There are in fact great games coming to Wii this year, awesome games, they may not all be graphically astonishing, but I am certain these games will surprise many with their overall quality an production values. And these games are from third parties I should add, not Nintendo.

I can guarantee you now, you will see games this year on Wii from both Nintendo and third parties that will make you regret getting rid.  They wont be games enough for you to want to but a Wii again, but certainly enough for you to fester and come into threads like this and tell everyone Nintendo still sux in a even angrier tone.

You seem not to realise a simple thing, something which was made clear to many from the start for gamers, if they looked carefully enough. Nintendo have always planned this all, they planned to expand the audience with such games, and your failing to realize why. For all this casual stuff, which does certainly have a negative ramifications upon Nintendo's core gamers thoughts,  there is a greater goal. They said from the start with Wii that they intended to expand the audience, and the best way to do so is to create the games they have been making these past couple of years.

Mission accomplished, they have done that now, the audience is now in place, as well as that vast sums of money too, money that will be redirected into the very best software for Wii. Ultimately, Nintendo Wii's core gamers will capitalize from the casual, they are not going to give a fuck about casual gamers once they get awesome games, there will be no complaining when they see the benefit, benefit that will last for many years to come. To say Nintendo have come out of the dark (purple) days of the Gamecube is a understatement, Nintendo are now one of the biggest company's in the world!  Just wait and see how they are going to turn the casual, into core, into core with the very kind of charming games that only Nintendo are capable of making. The  type of games that made you, once upon a time, into a core Nintendo fan.

Once those games start appearing I will look forward to your replies.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Purchased Wii at launch spent 250 dollars.
    Purchased 5 games.
    got a classic controller, 2 nunchucks, an wii mote, purcahsed a few Virtual console games
    Spent 450

Since the 5 games i purchased *re4 wii which sucked on its own right cause its RE4* twilight princess, SMG...ect not a single game i want to play or most hardcores want to play was released, shovelware, shovelware, and nothing seemed to tell me that it would change nearly every thing announced seemed casual and not like i would want it or that i couldn't get it else where.

I sold my wii, And I made 200 dollars off all that wii stuff...I lost out on 250 dollars....Thats what pisses me off.
    As for that I disagree that nintendo will change casuals into core users or any of that shit, nintendo is aiming for a video game crash of the modern era i believe nintendo is aiming for this, you seem to believe they will all of a sudden change...what is making you believe this? what has nintendo announced that makes you believe this? they've announced Wii music, snow boarding games, and Wii motion plus....yeah sorry none of that shows me or makes me think that nintendo is going, or will go into the direction you seem to think its going to go.

Oh and then theres the fact my Wii sat for 8-9 months with nothing to play, why should i spend money to buy or rent games that do not appeal to me, and look like they totally blow? my investment of 450 dollars sat and did nothing.
    You have way to much faith in nintendo cause every thing they announce and do shows one simple fact they will continue to release shovelware just like on the atari which caused its fail.
    P.S: Do not assume i was a fan of nintendo thank you very much, If you knew im 26 years old my first system was an atari 2600 after that sega master system, then nes, then genesis then snes.

P.P.S: I owned an Saturn before i owned an n64.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By get2sammyb

Why did you buy RE4 for Wii if you didn't like RE4 on any other system? And Super Mario Galaxy is without a doubt the best game this generation thus far.

Wii Fit is not shovelware though. It might not be your cup of tea but I thought it was brilliantly well made.

EDIT: LOL! You're 26? When will you grow up....?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    get2sammyb said:
    "Why did you buy RE4 for Wii if you didn't like RE4 on any other system? And Super Mario Galaxy is without a doubt the best game this generation thus far.

Wii Fit is not shovelware though. It might not be your cup of tea but I thought it was brilliantly well made."
    Wii Fit is shovelware its a accessory based system, wanna play this game or use extra abbilties? buy wii fit the same with Wii motion plus which is just a bone head idea since we were told it was 1:1 motion sensing when the system was released now it turns out to be untrue so i have to buy a game or buy this thing to have true 1:1? as for that I first purchased RE4 on the Wii I usually dont trust reviews so i didn't know exactly how bad it sucked till i played it first.

*The above is opinion and constitutes no gurantees or contractual responsibilities*
    **please insert kitten**
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Linkyshinks
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Purchased Wii at launch spent 250 dollars.
    Purchased 5 games.
    got a classic controller, 2 nunchucks, an wii mote, purcahsed a few Virtual console games
    Spent 450

Since the 5 games i purchased *re4 wii which sucked on its own right cause its RE4* twilight princess, SMG...ect not a single game i want to play or most hardcores want to play was released, shovelware, shovelware, and nothing seemed to tell me that it would change nearly every thing announced seemed casual and not like i would want it or that i couldn't get it else where.

I sold my wii, And I made 200 dollars off all that wii stuff...I lost out on 250 dollars....Thats what pisses me off.
    As for that I disagree that nintendo will change casuals into core users or any of that shit, nintendo is aiming for a video game crash of the modern era i believe nintendo is aiming for this, you seem to believe they will all of a sudden change...what is making you believe this? what has nintendo announced that makes you believe this? they've announced Wii music, snow boarding games, and Wii motion plus....yeah sorry none of that shows me or makes me think that nintendo is going, or will go into the direction you seem to think its going to go.

Oh and then theres the fact my Wii sat for 8-9 months with nothing to play, why should i spend money to buy or rent games that do not appeal to me, and look like they totally blow? my investment of 450 dollars sat and did nothing.
    You have way to much faith in nintendo cause every thing they announce and do shows one simple fact they will continue to release shovelware just like on the atari which caused its fail.
    P.S: Do not assume i was a fan of nintendo thank you very much, If you knew im 26 years old my first system was an atari 2600 after that sega master system, then nes, then genesis then snes.

P.P.S: I owned an Saturn before i owned an n64."

So your were never ever a Nintendo fan, yet you bought a Wii with all the trimmings and then some.  You make yourself sound like a closet casual, that's the kind of thing they do lol :P

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By ThomasP

Interesting. The Wii's 3rd party support is definitely looking better these days, but I imagine the majority of those 79 titles are from the DS. I would say 3rd party support for the Wii will really pick up towards the end of '09 when people see how well games like The Conduit and Mad World sell.

2010 and 2011 will be big years for the Wii.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#18  Edited By strangeling

Mr. WilliamRLBaker's posts are sooo hard for me to read.  I get glimpses of valid points in his opinions, but there's so much rambled together.  I imagine him speaking like the Micro Machines guy in real life.

And apparently, "shovelware" has come to mean "games I don't like" as opposed to its original definition.
    SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By SpinCookie
    strangeling said:
    "Mr. WilliamRLBaker's posts are sooo hard for me to read.  I get glimpses of valid points in his opinions, but there's so much rambled together.  I imagine him speaking like the Micro Machines guy in real life.
    And apparently, "shovelware" has come to mean "games I don't like" as opposed to its original definition.
    "
    You pretty much said exactly what I was about to say haha.

Shovelware has a specific meaning, it doesn't mean "casual" like William seems to think it does.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Al3xand3r

My only question is what he was doing with that extra nunchuck. See, Wii comes with remote + nunchuck, he bought two extra nunchucks and a single extra remote, so, uh, yeah. A backup or what? Lol. Unless it's another one of those completely ignorant fools who never had a Wii, never checked a Wii game other than when it hapened to be on the front page of a site they visit, etc. Probably took the "accessory based system" bullshit to heart and thought a nucnhuck isn't included in the box so the numbers on his little made up story came out wrong.

Staying with the accessory based system just because of WIi Fit, um, what the hell? Do I have to remind you of a little game called Rock Band which has been coming out on all systems, has been a reason to ridicule the Wii because its first iteration on it was lackluster, and comes with several and expensive accesories? Now somehow having a single accessory based first party title, Nintendo is dooming gaming? What about Sony's Eye Toy, and whatever the PS3 version is called, which come with those one-might-say-cool-but-people-like-you-would-say-SHITTY trading card style games? Does that somehow mean Sony is also a shitty casual company, despite its God of War games, and a faiing company on top, because their titles don't get the numbers Nintendo's do? Yeah, I think you'll claim no, in keeping with your double standards and usual ignorance that somehow thinks only the things YOU have looked into exist, only the things YOU like are good, things you want to ignore don't exist, things you want to hate are factually shitty and for casuals. Right...

And no, Nintendo never claimed 1:1 motion controls out of the box, so why do flamebait boys like you keep stating that? In fact, I'm not even sure if they've claimed it for the Motion Plus, but I guess that one's plausible.

As for the rest things, please, people have been getting and enjoying great WIi games throughout the last year, (latest Wario and De Blob around October for example?) and many more are set for this year, spanning every single genre out there, from FPS, to JRPG, to adventure titles and survival horror. If they're not your cup of tea feel free to not want to have a Wii, but claiming bullshit like "no games hardcores want to play" is stupid. They're the same fucking genres as on all other systems. What is that anyway, somehow claiming everybody on this forum with a Wii is not a hardcore gamer? How idiotic do you have to be to make such baseless statements? Especially when you cite examples of games you got, which are clearly hardcore titles, and yet you dismiss them as shovelware because you personally don't like them, like Resident Evil 4. Holy shit, I guess I could somehow claim I personally hate 100% of the PS360 library and so conclude they have no games hardcores want to play and end the discussion at that, amirite? Of course not. You aren't either.

In any case, you're not a representative of the hardcore gamers to speak for all of them, so cut the bull and either have a proper discussion, with proper arguments and honest questions, (then people might respond to you in ways other than the few comments above mine, and mine) or none at all. What's your goal anyway? I don't see any goal with starting sprouting flame baits in every single Wii related thread you pop in. You talk more about things you clearly hate than things you like. Unless you believe you're some kind of preacher trying to open people's eyes or what? You're not, and whether you believe those things you say or not, people can make up their own minds by reading things like, um, facts, or experiencing the system on their own, not your shitty posts. If a core gamer has a Wii, and enjoys playing games on it, who the fuck are you to claim he's somehow wrong, and isn't a core gamer, because core gamers can't possibly like the system's games. Nobody.

And what's with getting on with the trend of 'Nintendo has changed'? They've been doing the same things they've always been doing, and on top of that more things aimed for the casuals, but always not mere shovelware as you like to state, and instead highly polished packages Sony and Microsoft wish they could get right, and have a change with that audience too. Please open your eyes.

And what's with your stupid prophecy of how the casual gamers won't be turned to hardcores? That's what Sony did with the playstation, things like fifa and final fantasy, which is as casual as you can get, made sure they held the sales crown for two generations. Yet those people somehow are now considered core gamers and can judge any potential newcomers like this? Fuck you, really. Casuals have been driving the market throughout all generations, it's stupid to not see it when the truly core games still get lackluster sales for the most part, aside from hugely recognised series. GTA as an example. Never-gaming rednecks loved that game, and still do, are they somehow more hardcore gamers than people who enjoyed De Blob, because De Blob is, OMGOSH COLORFUL?

Again, please open your eyes and see how the DS was also accused as much of the same bullshit you say about the Wii. Yet now it's the dominant system regardless of affinity and has been enjoying a wealth of games for any audience, and NIntendo again have been offering the same metroids and zeldas as usual, and not just brain age and nintendogs morons rushed to bash them for. And even though they don't offer nearly as many titles as others, the system grew immensely in third party support and has been graced with a library spanning several titles of every single genre one may think of, even long-dead niche and truly hardcore titles like dungeon crawlers, which self proclaimed sony and microsoft generation hardcores wouldn't take a second look at, because it doesn't resemble a FPS or GTA. The same is happening to the Wii, perhaps more based on Japanese companies for now, with companies like Namco, Square and CAPCOM, but western developers are slowly getting onboard also, with things like EA's cursed mountain and several titles SEGA will publish.

Feel free to absolutely loath any and all wiii games personally, but somehow closing your eyes to reality and claiming all it has and all it will ever get is casual titles before collapsing the market isn't doing anything for your already near-nonexistent points. I personally hate the Halo series and think it's an overhyped series that simply brought the concept of an FPS to newbie and casual gamers who never enjoyed the likes of Half-Life on PC, but I don't go around claiming it's a shovelware casual title, because OMGOSH I can objectively look at it and see a solidly developed FPS with high production values that simply happens to not do anything much new or something I personally like, both of which things aren't enough to condemn the game and Microsoft as a whole. No sane gamer would claim similar for Nintendo's own games, like Prime 3 and Galaxy, or the many third party exclusives the Wii is getting.

Any aware of the industry gamer (and if one isn't aware, he's not a core gamer)  would realise that the mere fact it got announcements for the likes of DQX and MH3, on top of ongoign support from the companies involved,  even if personally he hates them, it all ensures the platform's longevity in regards to core gaming, and has ignited an avalache of titles from a multitude of major and not so major Japanese and western developers. Any aware gamer SHOULD have been paying attention to things like Nintendo's Media Summit, which was at least 65% core games focused with a multitude of announced titles, instead of still recall the dreaded E3 and pretend that's all that's been happening and will be happening with the WIi.

Short response: You clearly know shit all about the Wii, so don't pretend your personal life stories somehow make your opinion of it a fact, when you're one of the most ignorant and flaming fanatic posters on here, who proceed to judge things they clearly have no clue about, and somehow feel they can talk for all the core gamers, while dismissing those who oppose their narrow and ill-informed opinion as casuals. You give Saturn fans a bad name, they're usually far more aware of reality, and of the industry, as they experienced first-hand the impact a casual (we used to call them mainstream) focused rival platform (Sony at the time) can have.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#21  Edited By strangeling
    SpinCookie said:
    "strangeling said:
    "Mr. WilliamRLBaker's posts are sooo hard for me to read.  I get glimpses of valid points in his opinions, but there's so much rambled together.  I imagine him speaking like the Micro Machines guy in real life.
    "
    You pretty much said exactly what I was about to say haha.

Shovelware has a specific meaning, it doesn't mean "casual" like William seems to think it does."
    It's not just him though (unless he goes by a different name on gamespot).
    Someone had said Muramasa: the Demon Blade looks like shovelware in a discussion over there.
    People (mostly trolls) are using it as their "opinion" concerning games they don't enjoy.

And this isn't about the games specifically being great games.  Iwata's just trying to get more 3rd party developers to bring more (hopefully good) games to Nintendo platforms because they can sell well.
    OldManLollipop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By OldManLollipop
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "LordAndrew said:
    "I'm on. I just like to watch people argue with each other."
    and i like to start the fights."
    Quickly! To the Internet!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.