Official website.

• Developer: Shin'en Multimedi
  • Genre: 3D Action Adventure
  • Rating:
    ESRB: Everyone, Mild Cartoon Violence
    PEGI: 7+
  • Release Date: TBD

Screenshots:
Let Jett Rocket explore the beautiful planet of Yoroppa and find out why it has been attacked by the evil 'Power Plant Posse'. Ride the ocean on your Jet Boat, parachute from giant cliffs, speed through arctic regions on your Jet Snowboard or skyrocket with your Jet Pack.

Just be Jett Rocket in this epic futuristic full 3D Action-Adventure!

Jett Rocket supports 4:3 and 16:9 screen modes, PAL (576i), NTSC (480i) and EDTV/HDTV (480p) and runs in super-smooth 60 frames/sec.

Jett Rocket will be available exclusively via Nintendo's WiiWare service.

Few more screens from NE.
#2 Posted by AjayRaz (12389 posts) -

wow. the graphics are great. especially for a wiiware game

#3 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@Al3xand3r: It reminds me of super mario galaxy.
#4 Posted by MikkaQ (10224 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @Al3xand3r: It reminds me of super mario galaxy. "

This. I don't know why, I can't quite place it, but something about the style I guess.
#5 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

It reminds me of The Maw on XBLA/Steam. It's actually from the developers of Art of Balance, another game on WiiWare:

They know their hardware, that's some good shit and rivals most 3rd parties' retail "efforts". They also have a golf game on WiiWare and made the Nanostray games on DS and Iridion games on GBA, both are retro shmup franchises. Their tech always is great but the gameplay often suffers. Apparently both Iridion and Nanostray are pretty bad games while Iridion 2 and Nanostray 2 are good.
Hopefully they don't fuck this up and wait to get it right on the sequel, I want it to be good, more 3D platformers please :-)

#6 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

I wish it was Alex Kidd instead... I'll just pretend.

#7 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" @demontium said:
" @Al3xand3r: It reminds me of super mario galaxy. "
 This. I don't know why, I can't quite place it, but something about the style I guess. "
Its definitely the textures.
#8 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

They are also developing a Wipeout/F-Zero-Clone for Wiiware at the moment, which looks equally nice. 

I would be excited, but then I remind myself of Nintendos file size limit.

#9 Posted by Willy105 (4686 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
"  I would be excited, but then I remind myself of Nintendos file size limit. "
What does that have to do with anything?

The file limit is huge, about 40 MB. That's bigger than most N64 games.
#10 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Shame standards progressed further than the N64's tiny with low color depth textures and midi music then, otherwise they'd be able to make a huge game!

40MB is way too tiny nowadays. But I agree it's plenty enough for great games as WiiWare has plenty of those as long as they're priced according to content.

#11 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

Now that we've had SD card support for a while, I'd like devs to take advantage of it by building bigger games. 

#12 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

The limit is still 40MB, Nintendo doesn't want people who don't have an SD card unable to get more than a few games at a time. Though I suppose they could at least increase it to 50MB, and then let the occasional developer have a little extra space if it's really needed for the game, and isn't that much more.

#13 Posted by Tireyo (6382 posts) -
#14 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -
Interview with the developers, they sound pretty clever (duh).

NE: How did the team manage to technically pull off such graphics, especially considering the file size limit on WiiWare?

ML: First of all we developed a custom ’shader’ system which supports all the hardware tricks you can do on the Wii. So we could realtime preview all those Wii shaders in our 3D application. That was a big help to cut down iteration time and to test as many effects as possible.

As you may know the Wii graphics hardware has no pixel shaders like the PS3 or XBOX360. Nonetheless you can achive stunning results when you wrap your mind about the special abilities of the Wii. One thing the Wii we can do very well is to combine many textures very quickly. So we designed our materials like you would create layers in ‘Photoshop’. An important addition was that many textures were realtime generated and feed back into the shaders. With this techique we were able to create stunning materials without wasting megabytes on giant static and animated textures.

On top of that we use many different techniques to allow stuff like reflective and refractive materials, softed shadows, animated ocean waves and spray, grass, heat waves, etc.

Finally the 40Mb limit on WiiWare isn’t a big problem. We were used on the DS to create games in 4Mb. You just have to use different approaches then used in most retail games.

And yet the big boys of the industry seem oblivious to most of that and give us sub-PS2 quality Wii titles which are barely textured, nevermind having multiple layers, bump maps or other shader-like effects like reflections, refractions, and whatever else is possible as Nintendo, and now even WiiWare indies, show.
#15 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -
#16 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

Looking at these screens... I feel like Commander Keen should make a come back on Wii.

#17 Posted by Willy105 (4686 posts) -
@Emilio said:
" Looking at these screens... I feel like Commander Keen should make a come back on Wii. "
That implies that id Software would have to work on the Wii.
#18 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
@Willy105 said:
" @Emilio said:
" Looking at these screens... I feel like Commander Keen should make a come back on Wii. "
That implies that id Software would have to work on the Wii. "
I think they should. They should just grab a small team and start working on ports of the series and new WiiWare games. 

@Al3xand3r: 

Do you have any idea what the game might cost? It feel like it might be one of those 1200-1500 Point games.
#19 Edited by Organicalistic_ (2954 posts) -

LOL< I THOUGH THE TITLE WAS JEFF ROCKET, you can take that the dirty way or

!! THIS WAY!!!
JEFF ROCKET WILL KICK YOUR FACKING ASS, and HE IS BETTER THAN CHUCK NORRIS!!!
#20 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

I so wanna play this.

#21 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Gameplay trailer. Definitely impressive for a WiiWare game (ie, less than a measly 40MB, yet it shames most third parties' efforts)! Added to the OP as well.

#22 Posted by Willy105 (4686 posts) -

Size has nothing to do with graphics, unless they are in 2D. 40 MB is a very large amount of space to work with. It's just that most developers tend to waste that space with stuff like voice acting or pre-rendered videos.

#23 Posted by YetiAntics (1489 posts) -
@organicalistic_ said:
"LOL< I THOUGH THE TITLE WAS JEFF ROCKET, you can take that the dirty way or

!! THIS WAY!!!
JEFF ROCKET WILL KICK YOUR FACKING ASS, and HE IS BETTER THAN CHUCK NORRIS!!! "

Same here! lol
#24 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -
@Willy105 said:

Size has nothing to do with graphics, unless they are in 2D. 40 MB is a very large amount of space to work with. It's just that most developers tend to waste that space with stuff like voice acting or pre-rendered videos. "

40MB is a tiny amount of space to work with. Size does matter and has a ton to do with graphics. 3D graphics include a ton of 2D stuff called textures. Sound takes up a lot of space too. This has been explained before, in page 1 if I'm not mistaken. Here's exactly what comprises Jett Rocket according to its devs:

Originally Posted by wsippel:
The uncompressed sizes of the assets used in Jett Rocket:
  • 245MB Textures
  • 160MB Geometry and shaders
  • 140MB Music
  • 73MB Sound effects
  • 8MB Fonts
  • 3.5MB Particles
  • 500kB Script code
  • 151kB Localization
More than 600MB compressed to 40MB. German engineering...

As you can see, most of the size is first due to the graphics (416.5 MB) and second due to the sounds (213 MB). Only 651 KB is the code, text, etc! As you can also see, the game would have been impossible in this form without the superior compression techniques they have employed, due to the size limits.
#25 Posted by Marzy (674 posts) -

Really does look fantastic, in my opinion. It reminds me of Super Mario Galaxy mixed with Pilotwings and Wii Sports Resort, which I all love. The visuals looks gorgous and if it plays anything like Galaxy, then it may even end up being my favourite WiiWare game, so far.

#26 Posted by Romination (2768 posts) -

Actually when I first looked at the screens I thought they'd just ripped things wholesale from Galaxy. Game looks delicious.

#27 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Yep!

#28 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" @Willy105 said:

Size has nothing to do with graphics, unless they are in 2D. 40 MB is a very large amount of space to work with. It's just that most developers tend to waste that space with stuff like voice acting or pre-rendered videos. "

40MB is a tiny amount of space to work with. Size does matter and has a ton to do with graphics. 3D graphics include a ton of 2D stuff called textures. Sound takes up a lot of space too. This has been explained before, in page 1 if I'm not mistaken. Here's exactly what comprises Jett Rocket according to its devs:

Originally Posted by wsippel:
The uncompressed sizes of the assets used in Jett Rocket:
  • 245MB Textures
  • 160MB Geometry and shaders
  • 140MB Music
  • 73MB Sound effects
  • 8MB Fonts
  • 3.5MB Particles
  • 500kB Script code
  • 151kB Localization
More than 600MB compressed to 40MB. German engineering... As you can see, most of the size is first due to the graphics (416.5 MB) and second due to the sounds (213 MB). Only 651 KB is the code, text, etc! As you can also see, the game would have been impossible in this form without the superior compression techniques they have employed, due to the size limits. "
Woah, that nuts!! I want to make games for WiiWare. :( If there are any third parties out there listening, I can make your company millions in profits!! I promise!
#29 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -
#30 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6788 posts) -
@organicalistic_: I also thought the title was Jeff Rocket.

Anyways, looks very good for a WiiWare game.  Hope it turns out well.
#31 Posted by EliasT (672 posts) -

Bahahahaha, no, just no.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.