JRPG on the Virtual Console

#1 Posted by Matt_F606 (308 posts) -

I recently got hold of the Classic controller and i've been playing a few of the SNES games. I wan to play through one of the RPG. I'm looking at:

- Final fantasy 2

- Final fantasy 3

- Chrono trigger

Any thoughts on which one I should go for? I prefer the fantasy RPGs rather than the Sci fi ones.

#2 Posted by TechnoSyndrome (859 posts) -

Chrono Trigger is the best JRPG on the SNES, so I'd say go with that.

#3 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1573 posts) -

I haven't played them, but my understanding is that the early Final Fantasy games are quite unforgiving by today's standards. You might want to do a bit of research so you know what you're getting into, depending on your comfort level.

#4 Posted by YI_Orange (1142 posts) -

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars is the REAL best JRPG on the SNES.

#5 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

@Taku128 said:

Chrono Trigger is the best JRPG on the SNES, so I'd say go with that.

I would say this, but only follow this advice if you want everything else to pale in comparison.

#6 Posted by _Chad (962 posts) -

I don't like JRPGs but I really enjoyed Chrono Trigger.

#7 Posted by believer258 (11814 posts) -

Chrono Trigger, undeniably.

#8 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

If I'm correct, Final Fantasy 3 is actually VI. If so, get that.

#9 Posted by TobbRobb (4607 posts) -

If it's the american 2 and 3, you should go for 3. It's better than Chrono Trigger, and I'll fight anyone on that point.

If it's the actual FF3, I'd say you are better off not playing it. But that's just me.

#10 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

Secret of Mana

#11 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3219 posts) -

By final fantasy II and III you mean Final Fantasy IV and VI right? I enjoyed VI most would argue the last great Final Fantasy before Tetsuya Nomura got his hands on it and added his defining style to the series.

#12 Posted by Atta (135 posts) -

I love final fantasy so I'd say go with chrono trigger. unless it's like said. then I guess just toss a coin because both are great

PS: after you finish those go for secret of mana

#13 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

SNES means not Japan, and also means SNES. So FF 2 and 3 definitely mean 4 and 6 here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.