Life of Wii: what are your thoughts?

• 51 results
#1 Edited by Aegon (5641 posts) -

Skyward Sword is releasing soon, which many consider to be the swan song of the Wii. As the curtains close for Nintendo's motion gaming console, it'd be interesting to look back and see what were the highs and lows. What are your thoughts about the Wii? Personally, I think there's one thing wrong with it. That something is that sometimes, good games come out for the Wii (say what!?!?!). That's right, good games for the Wii are a sucky thing, because I don't own one and probably won't attempt to. 

#2 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

Wished I played it more. I don't have any problems with the console itself. It's just that it had really poor developer support for it. There are some great games for it and I've yet to play Xenoblade Chronicles which is meant to be a fantastic JRPG. Which is a bit of a rarity these days. Shame I don't have time to play anything with all these essays I've to do.

#3 Posted by masterpaperlink (1843 posts) -

What a miserable existence, lies pretty much dormant for 5 years (1 or 2 sparks of life), never reaches its true potential till its about to die. Not to mention how Nintendo treats the system like a bloody transformer with their powerup obsession.

#4 Posted by activatetheasset (23 posts) -

I kept waiting for enough good reasons to go out and get a Wii. Ultimately, the games that I am interested in playing just aren't Wii games. Even after all of this time I'd have a lot of trouble naming 5 games throughout the life of the system that I'd want to play. Really, it's a case of me not being a member of the target market for the Wii.

#5 Posted by ChaosDent (234 posts) -

The Wii had enough good to great games in its first three years to have made it worth my while. I liked the Smash Bros. and Mario Kart games for Wii well enough, and the Mario games (Galaxy, Galaxy II and New SMB) were all amazing. Beyond those and a handful of other 1st and 3rd party games, the Wii brand minigame collections (Sports, Fit, Play, Party etc.) are all considerably better than any of their competitors on Wii and the PS3 and 360 motion control systems.

#6 Posted by DeF (4893 posts) -

In retrospect, I've played less games on my Wii even though I own many more than for the other two systems combined. There are a lot of very cool smaller games that try interesting things but aren't those triple A experiences that bloomed on the HD systems.

However, I wouldn't want to have missed out on the Wii for that very reason. If you want something different and interesting, that was definitely the place to go!

#7 Posted by Dalai (7030 posts) -

Overall, I was satisfied with the games and the idea of motion controls. I think the Wii gets a bum rap in some ways since there are some great 3rd party games that didn't get the credit or sales they deserved. And Nintendo hasn't been this good since the SNES days in my opinion.

#8 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1177 posts) -

Nintendo seem to be like 2 year old children these days, they release a console and quickly lose interest. I'm not sure if the lack of any great games was a direct issue with Nintendo themselves or a lack of interest by 3rd party publishers but I got one as the gimmick it seemed to be and its gathering dust somewhere in my house. Another waste of a console by Nintendo. Not holding high hopes for the Wii U either. Unless they pull off something REALLY groundbreaking and support it well with a variety of games and decent online you cant get from MS or Sony Im done with Nintendo.

#9 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

glad i sold my wii and games for 750$ two Christmases ago

#10 Edited by Knives (711 posts) -

At the end of the day, I'd say I got my money's worth. Does it have great games (some of which stand toe to toe with the best of the generation) Yes. Do I consider it a great console? No.

#11 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

It has some good games, not enough for my tastes. In the end, it made for a good paper weight and dust collector.

#12 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3484 posts) -
#13 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I loved that goddamn little white motion box. I played some great games on it, but man, did the games dry up in the last year. Played some Wii Sports Resort when my brother came over the other night, it brought back some good memories. My launch day Wii was a perfect fit for me for the longest of times and it never broke on me like my Xbox 360 did twice. I'm looking forward to the Wii U next year. I can't wait.

#14 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

It was obsolete the day it launched.

I'll buy one when they're ridiculously cheap so I can play Super Mario Galaxy.

#15 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

Sucks.

#16 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Didn't hit its potential, but had some wonderful games on it nonetheless.

#17 Posted by EuanDewar (4937 posts) -
@Enigma777

Sucks.

Socks.
#18 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4521 posts) -

Well luckily I got a Wii for free so that fact makes me like it a bit more, but it's a decent console at best and I think that's how most people will remember it. It had a few good games, but I don't think I'd ever describe any of them as great. Well, with the possible exception of SMG and SS(most likely), when we look back in a few years, how many Wii games will stick with us like SNES, PSOne, etc games do? I just can't think of many. Even one of my favorite games this generation, Muramasa, will be forgotten in due time. I loved the ever living hell out of it, but that game had it's share of issues and I'm more than willing to admit it's not a great game.

#19 Posted by ESREVER (2692 posts) -

I feel like most of the first party games would have been better if they weren't motion controlled.

#20 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11031 posts) -

That day I spent 12 hours waiting to buy a Wii at launch in front of a Wal-Mart was one of the best moments of my life. Not even the freezing cold could stop all the fun we were having. Seriously.

I think there are some fantastic games on Wii. Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, and now Skyward Sword. And I absolutely love the No More Heroes games, despite their flaws. Red Steel 2 was great. And there were Wii-ified versions of games that were pretty awesome too. Twilight Princess and Okami were great on Wii, despite a little waggling.

There may not have been a ton of great games, but the highs were really high.

#21 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -

It wasn't that good. Nintendo's done better.

#22 Posted by MidgardDragon (152 posts) -

The Wii would have a little while left if they planned on bringing Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, and The Last Story to the US. As it is Skyward Sword is its swan song. Though if you have a softmodded Wii you've still got life in it, which is what I did in order to play Xenoblade.

#23 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1727 posts) -

Compared to the hype my slightly younger self had before launch? Massive letdown. 
Compared to other console and PC games this gen? Just a regular letdown. 

#24 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11744 posts) -

At this point in time, there are around a dozen games I would ever recommend as "Must haves" in regards to the wii. Most of them are first and second party, and only around half of them use the motion controls to any great extent. Obviously, there are probably a few more out there that I'm not thinking of, but as far as I am concerned the Wii is a failure of great ideas executed poorly for the most part.

#25 Posted by MidgardDragon (152 posts) -

Oh this is that thread. Move along, nothing to see here, rehashed opinions with little insight into a console which has some fantastic games with poor third party support. Tell me anything the Gamecube did other than Twilight Princess was superior in any way to the Super Mario Galaxy series (especially 2) and I'll show you the mental clinic.

#26 Posted by StalkingTurnip (150 posts) -

I really liked Little King's Story, Mario Galaxy 1 and Super Smash Bros Brawl and then i got a real console

#27 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1766 posts) -

My most played game on the Wii is Super Castlevania 4. I think that says all that needs to be said on my end.

#28 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5828 posts) -

I don't own a Wii, but I plan on buying one since it seems to have plenty of interesting games you won't find on any other console.

#29 Posted by mariokart64fan (366 posts) -

people keep saying how the wii was a failure but you know what, i dis agree ,

this is the first nintendo system / heck this gen is the first nintendo has had good sales and games for both the ds and wii

the games are the best theyve been since snes , dont even start shouting hey n64 had better ones, -nope only goldeneye oot mario 64 and pd ,

the wii how ever has

1. goldeneye
  2. super mario all stars=remenisent of snes dont you already see the similarities
  3. mariokart wii
  4. punchout->---super punchout
  5. kirby return to dreamland and epic yarn -snes had multiple kirbys to n64 only had 1 , so this is more like the snes in terms of library already
  6. marioparty -8 and 9,
  7. wii party /sports play music and fit
  8. pikmin 1 remake
  9. resident evil series
  10. driver series-first for a nintendo platform besides gba ds
  11. donkey kong country returns ---dkc 3 was last in the country series obviousl again the best comparision is the snes
  12. super mario galaxy 1 and 2
  13. nsmb wii
  14. metroid other m-akin to the snes versions of metroid
  15. metroid prime-gc version of the prime series gets 3rd on wii
  16. ssbb
  17. zelda tp and sws - theres only 1 console that only had 1 zelda thats snes ironically
  18. pokemon spinoffs
  19. mario sports titles
  20. super paper mario
  21. olympic mario titles w sonic a first for the 2

and with 1000s of titles to choose from i say wii is the best platform besides ds 3ds nintendo has put out in a long time, i liked n64 but there was definatelly somthing missing during the gamecube run ,

the fact that wii has nearly every main franchise on it -speaks for it self, but the 90 million sells and 150 m ds sold , has to speak for it even more, and 3ds is so far looking good , 388k in a week world wide, you can bet nov will see a half a million in the us alone, ad world wide for a million and a half -at the average its getting a week

and december is just around the corner this is nintendos best time of the year may it be wii or 3ds who sells the .5 million in amonth so be it but the wii was amazing,

ALL THE haters good night youll need a long long rest after playing a hundred washed up fpses ,

#30 Posted by Deusx (1905 posts) -

It's a shame third parties didn't exploit the uses of the Wii's motion gaming. That's Nintendo's fault though. I don't want to trash talk about a console that has given many good memories to a lot of people but for me, the Nintendo Wii is a huge dissapointment. It has a couple of really amazing titles but nothing I consider revolutionary.

#31 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

In my mind, I wish more people bought third party games for the wii. That's what mainly killed the chance of games like Super Meat Boy and others targeted to people who play a lot of games showing up on the wii. Besides that, its pretty good modded but I just wish more content was put on there, definatly not as good as the gamecube before it.

#32 Posted by RavenholmDX (175 posts) -

I'll be picking up a Wii at the end of the month, for the games I've missed out on. I purchased a Wii at launch, but didn't really feel any of the launch games, and quickly sold it for a profit.

But now, there's a load of Wii games I can go back to, and for relatively cheap now:

• Goldeneye
  • Monster Hunter Tri
  • Xenoblade
  • Red Steel 2
  • Sin and Punishment
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy
  • Metroid: Other M
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn
  • Donkey Kong Country Return
  • Mario Galaxy
  • Mario Galaxy 2
  • New Super Mario Bros
  • Mario Kart
  • House of the Dead Overkill
  • No More Heroes
  • No More Heroes 2
  • Mad World
  • Muramasa: The Demon Blade
  • Super Smash Bros Brawl
  • Skyward Sword
  • Okami
  • Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom
  • Zack & Wiki
  • Super Paper Mario
  • Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
  • Little King's Story

I think theres enough software on the system now to warrant a late purchase like I plan on doing, and I'm looking forward to playing games I've missed over the years.

#33 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Pros: Flipping the Wii at launch to pay off car bills.

Cons: Move and Kinect

#34 Posted by Alexandruxx (228 posts) -

I think once the WII U is released the price is gonna drop a lot and it's worth buying.
It has a number of great games worth playing, and is worth it when the prices go low enough. But having it as your main or only gaming console, not so much.

#35 Posted by Ascardon (68 posts) -

i got a wii in march 07 beause of the high demand back in the day already had my copy og twillight princess and a component cable official of course.Monster hunter tri 100+ hours zelda twillight princess 60+ hours and all the other games wii is one of my favorite console to relax on.No achievement or trophie popups,or hassle of updating a game,just plug and play.

#36 Posted by mariokart64fan (366 posts) -

i laugh at the people who think xbox360 or ps3 is any better when the facts about to be shown are true

the wii has sold 92.0 million units -as of dec 2011 ,

all the franchises nintendo has made except fzero have been present on wii or ds

that said ,, i think nintendo wii is on top for a reason that reason is because the games it has offered for 5 yrs ,

1. zelda twilight princess
  2. red steel
  3. driver paralel lines
  4. bully se
  5. cod
  6. goldeneye
  7. donkey kong country returns
  8. zelda skyward sward
  9. super mario galaxy
  10. super paper mario
  11. wii sports
  12. wii sports resort
  13. wii play
  14. wii fit
  15. wii party
  16. new super mario bros
  17. mario kart wii
  18. mario party 8
  19. metroid prime series
  20. metroid other m
  21. mario sports titles
  22. super mario galaxy 2
  23. wario land shake it
  24. wario ware inc
  25. animal crossing
  26. final fantasy cc series
  27. tales of symphonia 2
  28. pokemon games
  29. zack and wiki
  30. no more heroes
  31. mad world
  32. excite truck/bike/bots
  33. dr mario

theres plenty more to go around and all the cheap games i was able to find for it more then any one else had to offer and the fact games are 10 dollars less to begin with and how wii offers 4 colors of choice-red black blue white -- i got all 4 by the way lol , the wii just had more variety who can go wrong with that it had most of the big 3rd party games-goldeneye cod driver bully etc

and it had way more of its own games from third party and first party no im not even including those wacky minigame collections im talking about these fun racing, adventure etc games such as ford racing off road mini desktop racers my sims kingdom my sims cursed mountain- a true survival horror game of course you have arcade style horror remakes and resident evil games

but cursed mountain is the only new classic style survival horror -sure theres not much going on but the fact that i found it as good as at least re0

and for 10 dollars, couldnt beat that and theres other titles like monster truck world circuit gt pro series etc, the reason i say wii offers more then 360 and ps3 is because all ps3 360 offer are mostly first person shooters and open world type games, one can get very bored especally when over 100 of my 360 games are fpses about 10 are free roam and 100 are racing -getting my total of 360 games 228 8 are platforming not counting indie games lol

and ps3 i have bought mostly racing and uncharted type stuff but theres a few fps on that as well most of which i have all versions of

saints row 2 3 gta iv quantum of solace cod 4 wwe games, that said, wii just offers more bang for the money you put out for it alot of people say "wii has to many shovelware games" i dont know what you guys claim are shovel ware games but i dont count mini game compilations and i still end up with more variety in the wii then 360 ps3 has slightly more then 360 but below the wii

the wii bottom line is next to the super nintendo playstation 1 and nintendo 64 on my list of 5 good consoles i do have more then 10 i like ya thats exactly where wii is -- very close to snes nothing can beat the snes - still today theres a lack of classic 2d games and such -not just platformers we have plenty of those im talking about top gear tom and jerry etc type 2d games ,

#37 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

It's a pretty cool system. Certainly has a ton of awesome games. And NyxQuest.

#38 Posted by sup909 (159 posts) -

Personally I could accept a Nintendo console that lives only on Nintendo titles. I would buy that. That thing that really put me off of the Wii was the lack of "real" games for it form Nintendo and consequently the recycling of properties for the gamer games they do release. I just didn't want to play another Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Zelda (aka Ocarina redux).

#39 Posted by lazyturtle (1229 posts) -

I wish I hadn't let me wife talk me into buying it for the kids. The only use the Wii has had in the last year or so, is my son playing Lego Star Wars and De Blob 2. I had a gamefly membership for over a year..I think the only games I've had any interest in on the Wii are Donkey Kong, Mario Galaxy 1&2 and Mario Kart.

The Wii will be my last transaction with Nintendo.

#40 Posted by Lugixx (66 posts) -

It has been a great contrast to the (honestly rather similar) HD twins of this generation. The wii was basically the only way to get some proper 3D platforming and JRPGs this gen. The low-tech in it forced developers to focus on artstyle, instead of just raw, graphical power, and sometimes you would even get a 60 fps with it. It was also a great way to introduce friends and relatives who were interested in gaming, but intimidated by all the buttons. Since giantbomb's social circle seems to consist of people who are much more interested in gaming, I don't think they realize how nice it's been to have "common ground" with someone who is interested, but not as... enthusiastic about gaming as you are.

But I don't that it would work as well if it's the only console you own. Maybe if you're being introduced to gaming, and a lot of the ideas and mechanics in games are introduced to you for the first time.

#41 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

I don't think Nintendo has been this consistently good since the N64. Just looking at their releases there were only a couple of truly bad games (Wii Play and Wii Music) and there were a lot of fantastic third party titles that were unfairly overlooked. Overall, I was pleased, it satisfied my gaming needs and provided a different experience from the other consoles (which no matter how great they are, they' deliver pretty similar experiences) like it promised to, I wouldn't change it for anything else.

#42 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

Dusty. Because every time I went to play it I had to dust it off. Motion gaming while cool as a concept is really difficult to incorporate into gaming. I honestly found myself not wanting to flail my arms around wildly while playing a game for long periods of time. I think the fact that the Kinect and Move are suffering from basically the same problems prove that motion gaming is best suited for casual and niche games and really don't add anything to core gaming.

#43 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Like most Nintendo consoles, great first party game but shitty third party support.

#44 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

The Wii is an incredible console, it is both a great console for playing with your family and yourself.

Want a Family Night? - Mario Kart, Wii Sports/Resort, WarioWare.

Want a 2D Platformer? - Kirby's Epic Yarn, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Wario Land The Shake Dimension.

Want a Fighter? - Super Smash Bros Brawl, Tatsunoko VS Capcom.

Want a Adventure? - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword/Twilight Princess, Xenoblade Chronicles.

Want a FPS? - Metroid Prime Trilogy, Red Steel 2, Goldeneye 007.

Want a Remake/Port? - Resident Evil 4, Okami, Mario Tennis, Pikmin, Klonoa.

As you can see, the Wii has your back.

#45 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

Waste of money and I will not be buying a wiiu.

#46 Posted by MeldingPlague (42 posts) -

Well, it was a game console primarily. That's more than I can say for its competitors. It may not have been a perfect system, but it set a trend and stayed away from a lot of the gimmicks to which this generation has fallen prey. Motion controls, the one gimmick that everyone seems to harp on in regards to the Wii, are, in my mind, nowhere near as offensive as the practices of avatar and DLC nickle-and-diming, pay-to-unlock system features programs, and semi-functional video and music stores that feel as though they were tacked on after the fact to try and keep things fresh. It's also fairly telling that throughout their respective console's life-cycles, Microsoft and Sony have been playing catch-up with the features popularized by the Wii. Microsoft was the first to create and monetize an avatar system similar to the Wii's, while Sony later released the equally monetized but largely half-baked Home (in their defense, it's gotten better). Both competitors have come out with their answers to motion controls, neither of which are very good or heavily supported by third parties in any meaningful fashion (a trend shared by the Wii as well).

All of the gaming systems this generation have their problems, the Wii and PC included. But, overall, I have to give it to the Wii for trying something different, releasing a precious few games that were of stunning quality, and maintaining the feeling that it is a gaming console rather than a cash shop for frivolous virtual goods and features that should have been included on the first day (or integrated later as the technology became available) for free. I don't think the Wii will be remembered fondly by the gaming community in the future, and personally I find that to be a little disheartening and indicative of the direction in which gaming is heading.

That's just my two cents.

#47 Posted by takashichea (353 posts) -

For me, it did well. Wii sports and Smash Bros Brawl were the most played in my household. Yet, the memories won't last longer than what the gamecube and N64 had on my friends and family. I would play the older games because we didn't have much wii games to go. Nintendo is always a family thing to me. If you are a single child, you probably won't like the Wii for its lack of online support based on my friend's experience. He always prefer the shooter and co-op type of games.

#48 Edited by Enemtee (26 posts) -

I've played more PS3 than Wii, I have, but I've enjoyed the time with the Wii more. Only Animal Crossing City Folk (Animal Crossing-games in general is a game I could play forever) and Monster Hunter Tri (phrickin great game) made the Wii worth that I bought it. Plus New Super Mario Bros (four people co-op, crazy funny), Super Mario Galaxy (it's one of the best platformers made, Super Mario Galaxy 2 too!), Super Smash Bros Brawl (I had a lot of fun times with Brawl, though sad I didn't have as many people to play with), Guilty Gear XX Core (good fun). And last but not least the third-party Lego Star Wars The complete saga, it is nothing special, but I did have a lot of fun times playing it with my girlfriend on the Wii.

Shouldn't forget World of Goo & Lost Winds on WiiWare. Both were released elsewhere later, but first on Wii.

Just forgot Metroid Prime 3, I've played more of 1+2 on the Gamecube, but number 3 is still alright.

#49 Posted by fini_fly (767 posts) -

I think it was worthwhile to play at first and like many others have said, fantastic first party games, terrible third party game support. In the end, especially within the last two years, there has been very little to get excited about on the Wii. This wouldn't be so bad if the Wii U was at the end of last year, but it's still almost a full year away. I hope for Nintendo's sake the Wii U has a strong launch library, otherwise people will continue to dismiss them as a dying breed. I hope this isn't the case though as I have owned every single Nintendo console at some point of my life.

#50 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@Hizang said:

The Wii is an incredible console, it is both a great console for playing with your family and yourself.

Want a Family Night? - Mario Kart, Wii Sports/Resort, WarioWare.

Want a 2D Platformer? - Kirby's Epic Yarn, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Wario Land The Shake Dimension.

Want a Fighter? - Super Smash Bros Brawl, Tatsunoko VS Capcom.

Want a Adventure? - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword/Twilight Princess, Xenoblade Chronicles.

Want a FPS? - Metroid Prime Trilogy, Red Steel 2, Goldeneye 007.

Want a Remake/Port? - Resident Evil 4, Okami, Mario Tennis, Pikmin, Klonoa.

As you can see, the Wii has your back.

Whilst I would add quite a few extra games to those lists (especially Little King's Story, Monster Hunter Tri, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, Rune Factory Frontier and Murumasa), this is THE most intelligent post I have EVER seen on Giantbomb. Every console is a winner, even the PSP which is so unfairly labelled as a flop. Open your minds people, embrace what is good, no matter where it is played. Plus 1 for Hizang.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.