Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

MadWorld Reviews Thread

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

Starting with IGN. Feel free to comment and add more.
    Text Review.
    Video Review.

By Matt Casamassina:
    "I realize that not everybody will find MadWorld's unique visual and aural presentation appealing, but to me, the game is an instant collector's item and a Wii showpiece, not just for its amazing style, but for its label-busting content. Anybody who says Nintendo's console is just for kids will see things very differently after a few chainsaw-induced mutilations. More importantly, though, MadWorld does not place emphasis on style over gameplay, so there's plenty of fun, smart mechanics to back up the overwhelmingly slick look and sound of the title. You'll be floored by some of the scenarios that await you in the fast-moving beat-'em-up, surprised by the unexpectedly well-made storyline, and simultaneously grossed out and cracked up by all of the completely over-the-top gore. Even with some camera issues, some repetition, and a decidedly short single-player mode (if you play it on normal difficulty), SEGA and Platinum Games have still created Wii's first truly excellent game of the year.

I'm begging you, buy this game so that we'll see more like it."

9/10

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Marzy

ONM gave it 85%

The only negative point they had about it was the fact that it got repetitive quickly

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Meowayne

Fuckin A @ The finishers

Wow, the finishers really look extremely satisfying. I know many people have written the Wiimote off as gimmicky, but the last couploe of months saw many games that use them in compelling and, well yes, satisfying ways.

I wasn't ever really interested in Mad World, simply because that's not the type of game I bought the console for (same goes for the conduit), but after this video review I might just take a look.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Okay. I've been looking forward to this game for a while, but only just now after watching that review did I realize how much I need to play this.

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hairydutchman

Pre-ordered.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

He just threw a guy to the moon. And splattered it with red.

XD

Excited :)

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r

That said, I'm tired of the "buy this to see more games like it" mentality, third party support for the Wii has been steadily growing with many respected companies making megaton announcements for upcoming titles, ensuring the console's longevity and convincing other companies to follow through with quality titles of their own, they won't simply bail out and cancel everything if any given game doesn't do well, as long as others do (and they do). MadWorld specifically seems to be a very niche game, I'm thinking half a million sales (within a reasonable time frame) will be a pleasant surprise for SEGA and ensure a sequel, it's not a GTA caliber release (in name recognition). It's a game similar to No More Heroes, and the color scheme may make it even less appealing to the mainstream, so why they seem to think it can have millions of sales is beyond me. I'm sure SEGA are more aware of the situation than silly media writers and don't have this kind of expectations.

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By SpinCookie

Hopefully this will be in my mailbox tomorrow when I get off work!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187
    Marzy said:
    "it got repetitive quickly"
    I remember saying that a while back.

I can already see it now.

"Yeah, Madworld was a sweet game...for about a week".

Just liked I predicted, right?  RIGHT?

I'm still going to check it out...but it's going to be a rental type of game.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

A beat em up lasting a week is pretty damn awesome. Predicting repetition in any game is like predicting there will be shooting in Halo, or blocks in Tetris. At least I haven't played any game that radically changes from start to finish, you tend to use the same gameplay elements throughout the experience. If it starts with shooting, it usually ends with shooting, etc. That tends to be good for people who buy a game for that particular aspect, and I don't think anyone intended to buy MadWorld for a reason other than the killing.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

A 5-6 hour playthrough kind of puts me off, but it still sounds pretty good overall.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Arkthemaniac

There's only so long that a beat-em-up will really last while staying fresh. I think renting it would be an error on your part, though. This seems like one of those games you'll want to own, if only for when it becomes rare.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#13  Edited By AgentJ

It sounds like the hard mode will be totally worth it. 5-6 hours turns into 5-6 days! I'll probably pick this up on the way home tomorrow. or should i pick up Avalon Code? CHOICES!!!!

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By oldschool

Count me in.

Full retail is $80 versus the standard $100, so I expect someone to promote it as little as $60 on release (Trauma Centre New Blood was only $50 on release day, so it happens).  I expect to get a good amount of fun out of it.
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Endogene

Have there been any new reviews already? It should be out now in the US but since it is about 9 o clock in the morning there now i think doubt there are a lot of the reviews actually done.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By oldschool
    Endogene said:
    "Have there been any new reviews already? It should be out now in the US but since it is about 9 o clock in the morning there now i think doubt there are a lot of the reviews actually done. "
    3DJuegos
    TV criticizes video games? OK, let’s destroy, humiliate and condemn the worst aspects of television. Violence with sense in a brilliant video game in all of its facets that manage to demonstrate that adult and interesting titles for Wii are possible. Mad World is the powerful entrance of Platinum Games in the market of the electronic leisure. 
    IGN
    I realize that not everybody will find MadWorld's unique visual and aural presentation appealing, but to me, the game is an instant collector's item and a Wii showpiece, not just for its amazing style, but for its label-busting content. 
    Nintendo Power
    Although the game is unquestionably brutal, the violence is so over-the-top that it's more humorous than gruesome...For any hardcore gamer, this one is not to be missed. [Apr 2009, p.82]
    IGN UK
    Control issues hamper fluidity but there’s no denying that, with some investment, MadWorld rewards in huge doses, delivering an incredibly visceral experience that's as stunningly unique and obscenely entertaining as it is just plain obscene. 
    Meristation
    Brutality, tons of blood and the most violent show ever seen to come exclusively to Wii. Former Clover members prove their talent with this beat'em up portrayed with this comic-book look drawn with black, white and red colors. Modern art with a great sense of humor mixed with a macabre tone, MadWorld can only be blamed for its 6 hours campaign and the little depth it offers as a brawler, compared to the biggest games in the genre. 
    EuroGamer
    No matter how much the schoolboy-humour commentary grates, no matter how repetitive the bits in between the set-pieces start to feel and no matter how frustrating the later levels become, MadWorld provides a rush of blood to the head almost as often as it provides a rush of blood to the pavement. 
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Endogene

O wow...

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Meowayne

Whats up with Eurogamer, btw? They write good reviews, but their Wii scores are unbelievably low. The last Eurogamer Wii review I read was for Mario Power Tennis. The GCN version got 8/10. The New Play Control! version got 6/10, with arguments like "That upcoming game from EA will surely be better!" and "the controls aren't that great" (I have it, and I can safely say that the controls are absolutely awesome).

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Al3xand3r

And IGN UK depriving it of the "outstanding" description for a mere 0.1 point difference from IGN US. Reviews are certainly funny to see.

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hairydutchman
    Meowayne said:
    "Whats up with Eurogamer, btw? They write good reviews, but their Wii scores are unbelievably low. The last Eurogamer Wii review I read was for Mario Power Tennis. The GCN version got 8/10. The New Play Control! version got 6/10, with arguments like "That upcoming game from EA will surely be better!" and "the controls aren't that great" (I have it, and I can safely say that the controls are absolutely awesome)."
    The game is in good company though. Condemned: Criminal Origins, Dead Space and RE5 also got a 7 from Eurogamer.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#21  Edited By Icemael

I can't wait til Friday next week. This game will be sooo awesome!

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bulldog19892

It looks really great, but at the same time I would think the art style would get really annoying after a bit. With everything being black and white it would be hard to create a sense of variety to the environments.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Meowayne

de Blob did it.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Black_Rose

Can't wait to pick this and pikmin next week ^_^

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#25  Edited By RHCPfan24

It looks great! This, RE5, Killzone 2, Resistance Retribution and GTA: Chinatown Wars will be my next purchases. One from every system. Sweet. It has been awhile since that last happened.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Al3xand3r

You missed the latest Total War for the PC, that would round out all systems :)

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hairydutchman

New reviews coming in;

1UP A-
    Gamepro 9
    CVG 8
    Gamesradar 8

The main gripe seems to be the short length of the game.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Al3xand3r

Game Trailers review.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Linkyshinks

Good GT review, it seems like fair opinion and it's also very informative.

On another note, I've never taken any Eurogamer Wii review seriously, their opinions on some fine Wii games stink.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AgentJ

My favorite way to kill enemies in this game is to bring them over next to a passing train. They just kind of dissinigrate. However, while i am currently loving this game, the fact that the reviewers gave it such a high score despite its length is concerning. Games should be praised for their longevity.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#31  Edited By RHCPfan24
    Al3xand3r said:
    "You missed the latest Total War for the PC, that would round out all systems :)"
    Good point. I should most definitely get that one too.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Meowayne

Did I miss the save function? I played about half an hour of Madworld today, and found that I had to start from the beginning after I switched off the console. Is this another de Blob when it comes to saving? I really hope not. : /

synt4x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By synt4x

It DOES get repetitive pretty fast. Been playing since yesterday and it has already become a bit stale. It's still fun though, but I wonder for how much longer.
    Don't get me wrong, it's a great game and I enjoy it very much. But the remarks on it getting repetitive are correct.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

You know a game has a problem with tedious repetition when one of its most major problems is problematic repetition and the game is only a small handful of hours long. 

rerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By rerty

what is the song playing during the Gametrailers review?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AgentJ

Perhaps you have to choose to go to the title screen after completing an area to save. I haven't popped back onto it yet, so i don't know if my data is saved or not.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By Drebin_893

Gamespot: 7.5

So far it's gotten very good scores from everybody
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Gamespot gave it a 7.5.

As a frame of reference, it's the same score they gave to Ratchet and Clank Future, and .5 points less than they gave Overkill.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

#39  Edited By Eder
    Al3xand3r said:
    "A beat em up lasting a week is pretty damn awesome. Predicting repetition in any game is like predicting there will be shooting in Halo, or blocks in Tetris. At least I haven't played any game that radically changes from start to finish, you tend to use the same gameplay elements throughout the experience. If it starts with shooting, it usually ends with shooting, etc. That tends to be good for people who buy a game for that particular aspect, and I don't think anyone intended to buy MadWorld for a reason other than the killing."
    Yeah I totaly agree. How do people say a game is repetitive or not? I really don't get that. All you do in Streets of Rage is punch and kick dudes in the face. But you enjoy it all the way.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Linkyshinks

I am halfway through completing it on hard mode , and I can tell you It's a fucking killer at times, the skill required begs belief.

I cannot play any other games until I see this out and review the game :(

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#41  Edited By Karmum
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Gamespot gave it a 7.5.

As a frame of reference, it's the same score they gave to Ratchet and Clank Future, and .5 points less than they gave Overkill.

"
    They tend to be weird with games that get 7.5. I personally thought R&C:F was alot better than a 7.5 score, but that is why we all have our opinions. Oh well, I wish I had the cash right now to buy this game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.