Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Mature Titles on Wii?, Probably Not - Sega Studio Director

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Constantine Hantzpulos, studio director of Sega, has explained how Sega may not create mature titles on Wii again, after being burned by House of the Dead:Overkill and MadWorld, and being far from impressed by the sales of such games from competitors.   

Speaking to 1up's 4 Guys podcast team, he said the following:

"Are we going to do more mature titles for the Wii? Probably not. Look at Dead Space. We were stunned. That was my litmus test. Basically, it's like, okay, you got EA, who can put all the marketing muscle behind this, an established franchise that scored well on 360 and PS3. They should be able to actually hit this out of the park, right? We get numbers, real numbers aside from NPD, and I'm like, Woah"     

Thanks to 1up
    ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ADTR_ZERO

They could totally make a motion controlled sex game where you use the Wii-mote to give handjobs.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By scarace360

They could make rapelay on the wii which would sell like 8 million copies.

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Warfare

What he said about Natal was interesting.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Warfare said:
    "  What he said about Natal was interesting. "

What did he say?
    NeoGecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By NeoGecko

I kind of sucks, because I liked HotD:O, and to a lesser extent mad world.  business kills fun, I guess. 

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Warfare
    @Linkyshinks said:

" @Warfare said:

What did he say? "
     A number of projects  for Natal being killed.

31 min into the podcast.
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By apathylad

On that note, I should buy Silent Hill: Shattered Memories one of these days.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By scarace360

WOOOOOOOOOO i bought mad world so its not my fault.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Warfare said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:

" @Warfare said:

What did he say? "
     Big games being killed in favor of more casual games. "

I doubt very much that will happen on either 360 or PS3, I think it'll simply provide more of a choice to consumers of casual games. Right now when families opt for casual games they instantly think Nintendo above all others, but if software of a high standard capable on those machines is put out, slowly but surely it could eat into Nintendo's share. Not significantly at first, but enough to make the venture worthwhile, so big is Nintendo's market. There will be mature games using the controllers, and I trust they will be of a very high quality, so It doesn't bother me. I think most developers  when creating casual games, will also choose to use Wii over Natal anyway, they know there's an established audience of casual gamers on that console. 

Natal development kits may also price out the really crappy developers, if Microsoft have any sense. 
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By AndrewB

Oh, wow. I was going to skip over that Podcast because I'm getting kind of sick of hearing "industry insider" information over journalistic opinion in such podcasts, but now I'm probably going to go back and listen to it.

You can't blame them. Although I (and I guess I'm not alone, as I've heard it brought up quite frequently) think the reason most "mature" Wii games don't sell particularly well is because they actually don't reach out to any audience due to their mediocrity. Dead Space: Extraction is one of those completely baffling ones, though. The game looks superb from both a gameplay and story side,  it's built into an awesome and already established game world, and it reviewed rather well. You'd think it would sell well considering how many 360/PS3 owners also own a Wii, so a lot of the crowd that was already hooked on the original game would also have access to this title. Then, you've got the masses of people who only own the Wii, who you may think would be interested in a genuinely good, mature game for the system. I guess that's just not the case. I guess the Wii will forever be that family/children console. That's not necessarily a bad thing. You've got two other main consoles that are ripe with mature content, and both are soon to be getting motion controls. I mean, if the games just aren't working, then stop forcing them. I guess that's what they're doing here, isn't it?

I dunno; in Dead Space's case, maybe it's just because of the stigma attached to "on rails shooters." How well did Umbrella Chronicles sell?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks

Umbrella sold well for Capcom.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ThomasP

I was disappointed by Mad World. Platinum dropped the ball in my opinion.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By AndrewB
    @Linkyshinks: Hmm. I guess you could analyze that by saying that Resident Evil is a more established franchise, but I'm really at a loss. Maybe if Nintendo, themselves, put a larger effort into pressing the better mature rated games for the Wii, it might help matters. You see MS/Sony teaming up with specific games all the time in their advertising campaigns. I guess it comes down to the image that Nintendo wants to convey.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Al3xand3r

Smart decisions by SEGA, as always. Lol ;)

I love their litmus test being Dead Space: Extraction. Their test can't be House of the Dead 2 & 3 and Overkill (which sold good for what it is, and actually similar to several large scale HD projects like some JRPGs that nobody calls flops despite their much higher development costs), it can't be Umbrella Chronicles or Resident Evil 4, it has to be the worst of the bunch in terms of sales. It has to be a spin off of an IP which has not appeared on Wii and met lukewarm sales on the HD platforms despite critical acclaim. It has to be an outsourced game. It has to be an on rails shooter. Yup, Dead Space Extraction. Which isn't their own game to know what resources it used up, and it's a game where its own developers and publishers thought lightgun shooters aren't worhwhile titles and spent all their PR effort into trying to convince people it's not a rail shooter, but a guided first person experience. It didn't work. Lol. All the critical acclaim in the world will not make up for the initial announcement week which had everyone pissed off @ them or laughing at the Wii userbase for having it on rails, nobody asked for an on rails Dead Space. Nobody bought it.

That said, I'm not going to miss SEGA's mature output if all they were gonna put out is MadWorld 2 (unless they decided to give it Bayonetta-like budget and effort, proportionally that is, it should still be cheaper as a Wii game). Whatever type of games they put out should at least be good regardless of their age rating. Anyway, this guy's basically a developer, he doesn't decide, and past SEGA statements from the actual big boys have said pretty much the opposite, that they're satisfied with the output for their titles (including Overkill but except for MadWorld I think) and that they intend to do more. This dude is speaking for himself and is just covering his ass by trying to say, see, it's not just our games that failed for reasons we don't know even though it's our job to know, it's a trend that happens across different companies. And lol @ implying Dead Space: Extraction was marketed so much by the usual EA hype machine. Yeah, on gaming sites whose audience had already decided it hates rail shooters. Big whoop.

Anyway, whatever SEGA, just bring back some of your loved franchises in actually good form even if they aren't mature or on Wii. Please?

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iamjohn
    @Al3xand3r: you're right - it can't be Resident Evil 4 or House of the Dead 2 & 3 Returns because those are ports of old games that were not a gamble and cost fuck all to put on the system.  And as far as Umbrella Chronicles goes, look at how well Darkside Chronicles is doing (read: badly).  And saying "we're satisfied with how well MadWorld and Overkill are doing" has always been double-speak, obviously.  Their Wii line-up didn't do well this year and therefore they've got nothing else planned (and as awesome as Overkill is and even though it eventually did okay, do you really think they wouldn't be gearing up for a sequel if it really did well by them?  I'd like to direct you to a comment Constantine made in the podcast which I'm assuming you didn't listen to that was to the effect of "we'll probably break even on [Overkill] in the end," which - SURPRISE! - doesn't exactly say that the game "did well"). 

Yes, Dead Space was a marketing failure on EA's part and no, it shouldn't be a surprise that it failed to do well.  That doesn't change the fact that it's a psychotic failure on the level of Bionic Commando despite being in a genre that has done well on Wii before and being part of a beloved cult series.  The only game I can think of that has done worse in recent memory is Spyborgs.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By JJOR64

It seems like most Mature games don't sell on Wii, which is a bummer.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By oldschool
    @scarace360 said:
    " WOOOOOOOOOO i bought mad world so its not my fault. "
    I bought Madworld and House of Dead: Overkill, so it certainly isn't my fault. 

I hardly buy "mature" games anyway.  They aren't my idea of fun, except HoD:O, that was sensational.  Give me a fun game and I'll be happy.
    Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Warfare
    @Linkyshinks said:

" @Warfare said:

" @Linkyshinks said:

" @Warfare said:

What did he say? "
     Big games being killed in favor of more casual games. "
     I doubt very much that will happen on either 360 or PS3, I think it'll simply provide more of a choice to consumers of casual games. Right now when families opt for casual games they instantly think Nintendo above all others, but if software of a high standard capable on those machines is put out, slowly but surely it could eat into Nintendo's share. Not significantly at first, but enough to make the venture worthwhile, so big is Nintendo's market. There will be mature games using the controllers, and I trust they will be of a very high quality, so It doesn't bother me. I think most developers  when creating casual games, will also choose to use Wii over Natal anyway, they know there's an established audience of casual gamers on that console.  Natal development kits may also price out the really crappy developers, if Microsoft have any sense.  "
    Sorry fix it.
    It was a number of projects  for Natal being killed not big games being killed in favor of  casual games.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @iAmJohn said:

you're right - it can't be Resident Evil 4 or House of the Dead 2 & 3 Returns because those are ports of old games that were not a gamble and cost fuck all to put on the system.  And as far as Umbrella Chronicles goes, look at how well Darkside Chronicles is doing (read: badly).  And saying "we're satisfied with how well MadWorld and Overkill are doing" has always been double-speak, obviously.  Their Wii line-up didn't do well this year and therefore they've got nothing else planned (and as awesome as Overkill is and even though it eventually did okay, do you really think they wouldn't be gearing up for a sequel if it really did well by them?  I'd like to direct you to a comment Constantine made in the podcast which I'm assuming you didn't listen to that was to the effect of "we'll probably break even on [Overkill] in the end," which - SURPRISE! - doesn't exactly say that the game "did well").  Yes, Dead Space was a marketing failure on EA's part and no, it shouldn't be a surprise that it failed to do well.  That doesn't change the fact that it's a psychotic failure on the level of Bionic Commando despite being in a genre that has done well on Wii before and being part of a beloved cult series.  The only game I can think of that has done worse in recent memory is Spyborgs.

It makes no difference in this that they were ports. They weren't a risk only in the sense that they wouldn't lose much if they failed, not because it was so certain they would do well. That they were ports should mean they perform worse, not better. Yet they sold great showing there's a market for this type of games under certain conditions. Quality, price, knowing the game's actually out there, demand, etc. Not ports. Being a port means nothing (except to the people who played it before and are less likely to buy it), it's the game at hand and how it's handled that matters. Overkill wasn't a port, and did good, as did Umbrella Chronicles anyway, two passed tests right there. There are only so many lightgun shooters today's gamer can buy. The genre was dead for a reason until its Wii induced revival, that it doesn't work every single time means nothing negative about the Wii. Still, to imply that the others did good because they were ports is quite silly and would be an easy solution for anyone. Put your games on all platforms, all platforms will then sell well? Lol. Who would have thought that MadWorld would become a million seller if multiplatform eh?

DSC is doing worse because a) it's tainted by the prequel which, despite good sales, wasn't a really good game, many people probably bought it after enjoying Resident Evil 4 and were disappointed with the quality, b) the market has been saturated with lightgun ames, not mature games as mature games aren't a genre, and can be anything, c) Umbrella Chronicles was supposed to be a test title (yet after it every other company wants to do a test title of its own, lol), it was succesful, yet it led to a direct sequel instead of more actual support from CAPCOM's RE studios, as DSC is also outsourced, and I like it, but I'd sure as hell prefer a RE4 type game, d) current gen gamers believe lightgun shooters are less worthy and aren't going to buy all of them, just one or two they consider the best, and if they get burned, then buy even less unless you convince them yours is worth it.

Which brings me to a point I neglected mentioning in my last comment, but is pretty important all the same. Why is a game in a genre that is 100% dead on other systems, the Wii's litmus test when it comes to "mature" games? Lol? The genre was dead for a reason pre-Wii.

Oh no, Wii can't sell every single game in a genre that isn't even considered worthy of putting out on other consoles, and/or said consoles can't even sell one game in that genre, what a failure the Wii is!

How do you pick when something is double speak and when something isn't as it suits your arguments? Saying games like Overkill did good (it did good anyway, we don't need official confirmation, go look at its sales numbers to date - and this guy says they're 30% higher than what sales agents report - it's still not a million seller, but as I said, just as good as vast HD projects like Blue Dragon, yet nobody calls those flops even though they must have cost 10fold or 100fold what Overkill did) is double speak, but saying another company's game that everyone, even the developer and publisher with how hard they tried to tell people it's not what it actually is, knew would fail, was the litmus test, is in any way honest?

Anyway, again, mature games aren't a genre. They don't just sell on the basis of being mature regardless of the content and appeal. MadWorld would not sell as much as Bayonetta on 360. Overkill wouldn't sell as much as God of War on PS2. GodHand on PS2 sold even worse than MadWorld, from the same developers, the same genre, and probably a similar budget. Lightgun shooters last gen also sold very little in general, that several on Wii managed to do so well is a testament to its great selling power if anything, not of the opposite.

Since you mention Bionic Commando, why isn't that considered a litmus test for anything? Because we're aware of the factors that made it do worse than other on the surface similar, but in substance and handling different games, right? We have RE, GoW and DMC, that show such games can sell on the HD platforms, so Bionic Commando's failure is inconsequential. Why's it hard to apply the same logic in Wii games' sales? I have yet to see a Wii game that flopped be a game that had one chance in a million to do better elsewhere. They all would have flopped wherever they were released. Unless you want to think Overkill would have made GunCon 3 sell by the truckload and MadWorld would sell like Bayonetta.

If something is niche it will sell to a small niche despite being mature. If something can attract the mainstream, it will sell a lot regardless of age rating. Age rating means little. If Dead Space: Extraction was a litmus test to anything (which it shouldn't be) then it should be a litmus test for lightgun shooters, not for mature games. Making the blood green and giving it a T rating wouldn't make it sell more.

The truth is, developers put their 3rd and 4th tier teams on Wii, spend a fraction of the money in development and marketing, then call them failed tests. You need to spend money to make money, and they don't do the former for the most part. They also have the nerve to complain they can't compete against Nintendo's highly polished expansive and well marketed products like Super Mario Galaxy. No shit Sherlock. When we say Wii development costs less it doesn't mean that you put your interns on the job, it should mean that your top tier developers have less work to do since they don't need to create 5 layers of textures and add insane amounts of detail on a character's face to have lifelike animations. It should mean development costs are on par with last generation instead of the many times over increase that HD development has spurred. Not that you put out dodgy products nobody would buy on any console and expect them to sell. I'm glad they don't, and if they did people would just say they don't need to put effort anyway as shit games can sell and we'd still not see good efforts on Wii.

Whatever, I'm content with my PC for the "AAA" stuff (which I play less and less nowadays) and my Wii for its less mainstream creative titles like Little King's Story and of course Nintendo's own games and the occasional 3rd party "AAA" title like MHTri and whatever's next. That SEGA won't fund MadWorld redux for it is hardly an issue for any gamer, though everyone should feel their intelligence is insulted when they try to convince him their failures are the Wii's fault instead of their own. SEGA, you do everything right, that's why you're not one of the big three, and Sonic is a laughing stock.

Extraction is like the Chinatown Wars situation on DS. People say that it's evidence it can't sell mature games, when it's merely evidence nobody wanted such a GTA game in the first place, as they didn't want such a Dead Space. The franchise exploded with 3 after all, not with GTA1 & 2 which were top down titles like Chinatown Wars. The PSP port (with new graphics and what not) did far worse but that was quietly brushed off and people still go on about the DS' inability to sell a franchise as big as GTA. Extraction on Wii is also a spin off with gameplay the bulk of the fans don't appreciate, with the difference that Dead Space isn't anywhere near as succesful as GTA, EA were disappointed with its sales also despite passing a million, so it must have cost a fuckton to make and market unlike Extraction's cheap outsourced production, so it had even less of a chance to do good with a spin off. The Wii games that flopped would have probably done even worse on the HD platforms, not better, like Chinatown Wars on PSP. They all know that much, otherwise they would have ported every game they claim the Wii failed to sell. Easy money, huh? And no, motion controls are not the barrier when they've managed to convince people it's a gimmick, see No More Heroes' port which works out fine.

This kind of talk is simply people who don't know how to run their companies and scapegoat factors they cannot control to keep their jobs.
    willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By willin

It's simple. The main demographic the Wii is presented to is not interested in mature titles.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Bones8677
    @Lights_Up_The_Shaft said:
    " It's simple. The main demographic the Wii is presented to is not interested in mature titles. "
    The fact that my mom is somewhat interested in buying a wii just for wii fit is telling me that Nintendo isn't selling a video game console but rather some electronic box that just happens to play games on occasion.  Kinda like an iPhone only without the phone and music, just apps and games that rarely work well. ;P

Not gonna let my mom buy a wii, I'll just let her use mine. Not giving Nintendo any more money than they deserve, not from this household at least.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @ADTR_ZERO said:
    " They could totally make a motion controlled sex game where you use the Wii-mote to give handjobs. "
    A game like that is already coming.  It's called WiiWaa .
    randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By randiolo
    @ADTR_ZERO:  wow inappropriate ..but i laughed so its ok.
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Emilio

The problem is that MadWorld and House of the Dead, though nice efforts, are just immature games. 

We need some real Mature games.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ryanwho
    @Warfare said:

" @Linkyshinks said:

" @Warfare said:

What did he say? "
     A number of projects  for Natal being killed.  31 min into the podcast. "
    I believe it. I don't understand how anyone can be sold on Natal after thinking about what it actually is for more than 5 minutes, then taking another 5 to consider if its also buggy and inaccurate. The whole concept is just fail on a rail. 
    At the same time, Sega doesn't advertise their games at all unless Sonic is involved then they wonder why nobody played Yakuza. So they're right, but also, they're shitty publishers.
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By Emilio

Oh, and Sega continues to be run by idiots.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#28  Edited By Icemael
    @Al3xand3r said:
    "DSC is doing worse because a) it's tainted by the prequel which, despite good sales, wasn't a really good game, many people probably bought it after enjoying Resident Evil 4 and were disappointed with the quality,"
    "Wasn't really a good game", "disappointed with the quality"... what exactly are you basing that on? The critical acclaim? The excellent sales? Please, I want to know.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Al3xand3r

Critical acclaim? Its metascore is 75 thanks to a handful of way over the top ratings it did not deserve at all, some from Nintendo publications. The game is a lightgun game without lightgun calibration (which means lightgun shells are pointless as trying to aim down sights will make you 100% inaccurate), graphics that are worse than RE4 despite being on rails, frame rate and other graphical issues all over the place, recycled content from last gen games, and it just screams low budget in every single way. It's one of the worse lightgun shooters on Wii (from the ones that matter anyway, not against Mad Dog McCree). All it has going for it is that it's Resident Evil and has a lot of content (more than DSC actually, but quality > quantity, even though it still lacks proper calibration sadly). In any case, I was talking in relation to the last RE game on Wii, and that was RE4, so even if you just go by the critic opinions then it's still a vastly inferior product making the leap from awesome to okay (RE4 Wii has 91 on metacritic versus UC's 75). Anyway, it's my opinion of the game from all I've seen and played, feel free to disagree, I don't really wanna know why. Reviews for Wii just suck anyway, Darkside Chronicles probably has a similar score but is a far superior product in everything but quantity. Yet it certainly doesn't deserve a 10/10 due to its own shortcomings which to me means Umbrella Chronicles should have gotten even lower scores as it has way more. Anyway, I'm glad that out of all that you potentially disagree with just one line, one point, maybe to your taste that one's wrong, that's fine by me.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By weltal

As a newly minted owner of a Wii I'll just voice my opinion why I haven't bought Dead Space or Madworld (Yet), not because 'mature' games on the Wii are bad but because neither of these games make me very interested. As far as Madworld goes the visual style just looks unappealing, the only reason I'm going to be buying it is to give it a chance at $10 but otherwise everything about that game just turns me off is a really bad way. As for Dead Space, well it looks OK but really it's a lightgun shooter and even the greatest most awesome lightgun shooter is going to elicit a somewhat tepid response. 

So yeah, it's not because they're mature it's because they just don't seem that great, which I guess is a point that seems to get lost when people talk about mature games on the Wii. Meh.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#31  Edited By Icemael
    @Al3xand3r: Oh, I thought you were talking about the original Dead Space, not Extraction. Sorry, it was just a misunderstanding(I'm half asleep, so I'll blame it on the fatigue).
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Al3xand3r

Neither. That part was referring to Umbrella Chronicles and why its sequel, Darkside Chronicles, is doing worse than that in sales.

:-P

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Scooper
    @oldschool said:
    " @scarace360 said:
    I bought Madworld and House of Dead: Overkill, so it certainly isn't my fault.  I hardly buy "mature" games anyway.  They aren't my idea of fun, except HoD:O, that was sensational.  Give me a fun game and I'll be happy. "
    You know what, I'm starting to feel the same way. It seems people only give a shit about games if you shoot people or kill people in them and to be honest, I'm getting really bored with shooting people on my 360. It just seems every game's the same thing... Yeah MW2 was great, I got all 1000 points out of that in like a week but am I excited for Bad Company 2? Hell no! It's the same thing... just shooting people.

I'm kinda moving toward more interesting and unique games like Borderlands and SFIV ect., Sure Borderlands is more shooting dudes but it's actualy for the most part... fun. I am thinking of trading in my 360 and games at some point this year and grabbing a PS3 because it just feels like games are a little more crazy and varied on that platform, probably because it's still got a lot of Japanese flavour even though it's caving in to Western pressures of "your game must have a red dot scope and head decapatations or it won't sell well".

This is getting kinda off-topic and sorry for that but does anyone reccomend a good RPG? I haven't played an RPG since I was like 12. I'm not saying it has to be super complicated crazy but when I was younger I really enjoyed games that just made you think more, wierd platform-adventures with RPG stories and elements were my favourites but lately I'm just playing damn shooters and it's boring. I bought a copy of Knights of The Old Republic ages ago at my local gamestore but never got more then an hour in it. Is that game worth playing now? Maybe I'll get Dragon Age, that seems interesting.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Linkyshinks

@Scooper:

" @oldschool said:

" @scarace360 said:

I bought Madworld and House of Dead: Overkill, so it certainly isn't my fault.  I hardly buy "mature" games anyway.  They aren't my idea of fun, except HoD:O, that was sensational.  Give me a fun game and I'll be happy. "
    You know what, I'm starting to feel the same way. It seems people only give a shit about games if you shoot people or kill people in them and to be honest, I'm getting really bored with shooting people on my 360. It just seems every game's the same thing... Yeah MW2 was great, I got all 1000 points out of that in like a week but am I excited for Bad Company 2? Hell no! It's the same thing... just shooting people.

I'm kinda moving toward more interesting and unique games like Borderlands and SFIV ect., Sure Borderlands is more shooting dudes but it's actualy for the most part... fun. I am thinking of trading in my 360 and games at some point this year and grabbing a PS3 because it just feels like games are a little more crazy and varied on that platform, probably because it's still got a lot of Japanese flavour even though it's caving in to Western pressures of "your game must have a red dot scope and head decapatations or it won't sell well".  This is getting kinda off-topic and sorry for that but does anyone reccomend a good RPG? I haven't played an RPG since I was like 12. I'm not saying it has to be super complicated crazy but when I was younger I really enjoyed games that just made you think more, wierd platform-adventures with RPG stories and elements were my favourites but lately I'm just playing damn shooters and it's boring. I bought a copy of Knights of The Old Republic ages ago at my local gamestore but never got more then an hour in it. Is that game worth playing now? Maybe I'll get Dragon Age, that seems interesting. "

I would pass on DA:O if your intend to get it on 360, it really is best played on PC, but even more so, what with you having not played a RPG for some time, it could well end up driving you mad with it's tough default difficulty setting. (-unless you choose to jump into it at a lower difficulty setting - I know some that have).   

Fable 2 is worth a pop considering it's second-hand price now. it's a good game, but falls short of being the great game it was supposed to be. It does bring in some interesting game mechanics that are quite cool though 

Oblivion
    is a great RPG, given your like of Borderlands, I would say get this above all others. 

If you have no dislike for JRPG's, I would recommend Tales of Vesperia on 360, I think it would be a good game to sink your teeth into after having not played an RPG for so long, The game has free run combat that's easy enough to get into.  

If you care more about puzzles and story, than the sort of combat that most RPG freaks are in want of, on Wii there's Fragile: Farewall Ruins of the Moon. It's said to be a really good game with excellent atmosphere and a solid story. It's combat however is too simplistic for seasoned players of RPG's, but perhaps that's a good thing for you. It's due out now very soon. 

Tales of Graces is an outstanding Wii RPG, but it's not due till much later this year (Q4 most likely). (9/9/9/9 - Famitsu) Everythings quality with this game, the story, combat, graphics and sound, it's easily the Wii's first truly great RPG. It has a good feature set also, you can do some cool stuff if you've got a DSi.

nyuckelhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By nyuckelhead
    @ADTR_ZERO said:
    " They could totally make a motion controlled sex game where you use the Wii-mote to give handjobs. "
    yes a very mature game like that would sell great! hahahaha
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By Snail

You guys on the Wii forum write too much. 

The Wii audience is not looking for these games. Period. Most of it anyway.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Al3xand3r

You're right. No audience, including the Wii audience, is looking for those games at all. Especially not their litmus test.

Unless you've played many mature lightgun shooters on the others and I've somehow missed their glorious existence.

Writing too much is better than intentionally leaving out the proper qualifications just to put a negative Wii spin on them.

"Last July (Gary Dunn), September (Mike Hayes) and this week (James Rebours), bigger SEGA execs said exactly the opposite, and giving much more precise comparison data from the Wii side of things than this "b-buttt... Dead Space did so bad!" bs."

+Hantzopoulos has no power to decide what titles are made or not.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38  Edited By Willy105

1. Make an M-rated Wii game
    2. Make it so nobody knows the game exists.
    3. ???
    4. Profit!

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By Milkman

Maybe Sega should try making better mature games. The audience is there but it's a shame that these ignorant Japanese developers have no idea how to tap into it. Mad World is the opposite of what the Wii needs. It tries to be mature by simply adding lots of blood and cursing and saying "This is what them kids like. Right?" While completely ignoring the fact that the game is completely shallow.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Scooper
    @Linkyshinks: Thanks so much for going to the effort to reccomend me some games!

I've already played and beaten Fable II and agree completely with what you say about it. I do mean to jump back into it at some point though just to finish off some loose ends.
    Oblivion is the same story, I actualy just today threw that back in and after playing it for over 100 hours on PC then buying it again for 360 only for it to give it RROD after only several hours. I do however feel that the game has lost its spark quite badly... the graphics are now pretty terrible and the combat, compared to Fallout 3 is not great.

Those WII RPGs are actualy pretty much what I'm looking for. Unfortunantly I don't own a Wii and I'm not really in a position to get one, especialy since I forsee that it'll be as good as dead by the time SMG2 and the next Zelda game comes out and I want a little more longevity to my purchase, although I'll have a good back-catalogue of cheap Wii games to dig into if I do go ahead and buy one.
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By cstrang

I hope Silent Hill: Shattered Memories sells well enough to keep developers interested in production of mature games for the Wii.  I don't mind the occasional Mario game, but my psyche can only take so much pastel-colored, kid-friendly platformers.

@Linkyshinks: Thanks for posting these news articles about the Wii. 

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Scooper.  There a shitton of mods which bring Oblivion into and way beyond Fallout3 looks.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#43  Edited By Claude

I've never liked "just shooters" "light gun games" guided experience games" "on-rail shooters", so fuck 'em. I thought about buying Dead Space Extraction, but there again, I loved RE4 on the Wii and didn't buy RE5 because of the controls. I loved Dead Space, but to turn it into a light gun game or whatever, kind of turned me off. Give me a third person perspective and I'm there. Imagine if the original Dead Space was a guided experience... yeah, you see my point. I hope that Silent Hill: Shattered Memories does well, so developers and publishers see what really works on the Wii.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44  Edited By demontium

Goodbye madworld.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.