Mature Wii Games

Posted by nate64 (30 posts) -

I don't know about anybody else but I'm a little sick of hearing people complain about the lack of mature games on the Wii. But do people really want these games? There has been a slight growth in the number of mature Wii games as of late with the likes of Madworld, The Conduit, House of the Dead: Overkill, Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles, and Dead Space: Extraction. Yet the sales of these titles are generally not indicative of this desire. I look at a lot of these games and feel that they don't really need to exist. Most of those games really are not held to the same standard that mature games on other systems are held. If Madworld was released on the 360 or PS3 it would have just been some offbeat mediocre game that nobody gave a second glance at. The reason that game got so much press was that it was a more mature title coming to the Wii. Just because a mature game is coming to Nintendo's console does not mean that it will be quality. What I think Wii owners should be clamoring for, instead of having mature titles for the sake of having mature titles, are games that they'll enjoy. Does it really matter if it's rated E or M? Nintendo isn't really known for making those types of games or even having a system that is conducive to playing them but Super Mario Galaxy or Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime, are all games that are of the highest caliber and they have no blood, or sexual content or swearing. It's not that those things might not have a place in a different game but if that's the type of thing you want in your video game then you should get a 360 or PS3 where gritty, realistic, mature games can be more accurately portrayed. Nintendo should just stick to it's guns with the childhood nostalgia and fantastical space-faring silent protagonists.

#1 Posted by nate64 (30 posts) -

I don't know about anybody else but I'm a little sick of hearing people complain about the lack of mature games on the Wii. But do people really want these games? There has been a slight growth in the number of mature Wii games as of late with the likes of Madworld, The Conduit, House of the Dead: Overkill, Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles, and Dead Space: Extraction. Yet the sales of these titles are generally not indicative of this desire. I look at a lot of these games and feel that they don't really need to exist. Most of those games really are not held to the same standard that mature games on other systems are held. If Madworld was released on the 360 or PS3 it would have just been some offbeat mediocre game that nobody gave a second glance at. The reason that game got so much press was that it was a more mature title coming to the Wii. Just because a mature game is coming to Nintendo's console does not mean that it will be quality. What I think Wii owners should be clamoring for, instead of having mature titles for the sake of having mature titles, are games that they'll enjoy. Does it really matter if it's rated E or M? Nintendo isn't really known for making those types of games or even having a system that is conducive to playing them but Super Mario Galaxy or Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime, are all games that are of the highest caliber and they have no blood, or sexual content or swearing. It's not that those things might not have a place in a different game but if that's the type of thing you want in your video game then you should get a 360 or PS3 where gritty, realistic, mature games can be more accurately portrayed. Nintendo should just stick to it's guns with the childhood nostalgia and fantastical space-faring silent protagonists.

#2 Posted by Hailinel (24842 posts) -

What strikes me as funny is that when people talk about mature games, many times they're simply referring to the game's rating and not the content itself.  A game could be rated M and be one of the most immature games in existence, using sex and violence to earn its rating and skipping on anything that could mature in the intellectual sense.  There's really nothing console-specific about this, either, as this tends to be endemic when speaking of mature games as a whole.

#3 Posted by ViciousAnchovy (746 posts) -

Yeah, I don't think of mature titles when I think of Nintendo. If more mature games were quirky like No More Heroes, I'd be fine seeing an increase of them on the Wii. But, in general, I don't like extremely real-looking, bloody mature games.

#4 Edited by ViciousAnchovy (746 posts) -
@Hailinel: Well, the mature rating just means it's for a mature audience, not that the game's content is mature. And by "mature" audience, it just means mature in the sense of age. The rating system would have to be a lot more complicated to give Bayonetta a different rating than Heavy Rain.
#5 Posted by Hailinel (24842 posts) -
@ViciousAnchovy:  It's true that Heavy Rain and Bayonetta both earn their M ratings, but beyond that, they're completely different.  Heavy Rain is a narrative-driven drama.  Bayonetta is an action game with an aesthetic based entirely around sex appeal.  Heavy Rain is an emotionally, intellectually mature game (though some would argue that the intellectualism that the game presents is ultimately vapid), while Bayonetta is loud, flashy, and makes no pretense that it's anything other than a crazy action game starring a sexy, impossibly proportioned woman.
#6 Posted by ViciousAnchovy (746 posts) -

As is, game ratings look at sexual and violent content, among other things. It's not about the sophistication of the plot, or how intellectual the themes are; they're just intended to keep kids from being overexposed to things like violence and sex.

#7 Posted by Hailinel (24842 posts) -
@ViciousAnchovy said:
" As is, game ratings look at sexual and violent content, among other things. It's not about the sophistication of the plot, or how intellectual the themes are; they're just intended to keep kids from being overexposed to things like violence and sex. "
True.  On the other hand, I look at the complaints regarding the lack of mature games on the Wii, see the PS3 and 360 games that are generally cited as the shining examples on their respective platforms, and then end up shaking my head because the games they name are almost entirely dependent on base sex and violence to earn their ratings.
#8 Posted by ViciousAnchovy (746 posts) -
@Hailinel: Oh, OK. So you were just saying that you think along the lines of nate64? That M games may get more attention because of graphic violence or sex, even though their game play may not be so great?
#9 Posted by Hailinel (24842 posts) -
@ViciousAnchovy said:
" @Hailinel: Oh, OK. So you were just saying that you think along the lines of nate64? That M games may get more attention because of graphic violence or sex, even though their game play may not be so great? "
Not entirely, but yes, I do agree with him to an extent.
#10 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

I generally agree with what you're saying about games having to earn their Mature ratings, but on the other hand the argument that the Wii should limit itself is somewhat revealing. Whilst the PS3 and XBox are capable of providing experiences on both ends of the spectrum, the Wii has failed dismally in that regard for a number of reasons - poor sales for its mature games (although that might just be because those games are bad to average), the hampering effect of motion controls and weaker hardware for many genres, Nintendo's disinterest and lack of support for other developers and so on. Whilst Nintendo is in general much better at providing games focused towards younger gamers, the Wii has yet to provide games that provoke aesthetic or intellectual reflection for precisely that reason, unlike games such as Bayonetta, Bioshock, and Heavy Rain. Although those games are flawed, they are much closer to raising games to the level of a medium with social and aesthetic significance. 
Don't get me wrong, my point is not that games that are entertaining and mechanically excellent like Nintendo's games aren't worthwhile, rather that promoting such an exclusive focus lessens the artistic integrity of what they're doing, as well as paints them into a corner. Once the casuals lose interest in gaming, it's back to the drawing board.

#11 Posted by ViciousAnchovy (746 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @ViciousAnchovy said:
" @Hailinel: Oh, OK. So you were just saying that you think along the lines of nate64? That M games may get more attention because of graphic violence or sex, even though their game play may not be so great? "
Not entirely, but yes, I do agree with him to an extent. "  
Sorry to pester you, but what do you think? I think my confusion is because of the complaints you mentioned regarding the lack of mature titles on the Wii. Are the complaints just that there aren't many mature games on the Wii, or is there more to it?@Hailinel said:
" @ViciousAnchovy said:
" As is, game ratings look at sexual and violent content, among other things. It's not about the sophistication of the plot, or how intellectual the themes are; they're just intended to keep kids from being overexposed to things like violence and sex. "
True.  On the other hand, I look at the complaints regarding the lack of mature games on the Wii, see the PS3 and 360 games that are generally cited as the shining examples on their respective platforms, and then end up shaking my head because the games they name are almost entirely dependent on base sex and violence to earn their ratings. "
All that comes to mind for me is that people think games on the Wii are just "kiddie" games, when M titles with blood and sex might be just as immature. Is that what you're saying? If that's not the case, then what it? I'm just curious.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.