Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Metroid: Other M review

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Godwind

I was initially going to make a video on this, but I couldn't find the time.  So I'll just keep my thoughts written.   The other reason I am doing this is because Hailinel's complaint on people's complaint.

Let me give you the short hand review of Metroid: Other M, it sucks.  It isn’t that Metroid: Other M is unplayable, your time and money is better spent elsewhere.  It’s a shame because Nintendo has seen better days with Metroid.  To state the greatest criticism, it’s not a real Metroid game despite what the box might say.  The game is best described as a cross between Metal Gear Solid and Ninja Gaiden, both which outclass this game on what it is trying to achieve.

The content offered by this game is weak.  The game divided into 4 sectors, the main sector, and sectors 1, 2, and 3, all which take place on a space ship.  The main sector is the laboratory of the ship, while sector 1, 2, and 3 are meant to simulate a forest, lava, and snow zones.  While it sounds generic, that really isn’t the problem.  They have been the staples of the Metroid series.  The problem comes from not being fleshed out.  It gears itself only to serve as a barrier from point A to B while in previous Metroid games, these worlds were the point of interest.  There simply isn’t enough going on to care about it.  They also lack that “organic” feeling that previous Metroid games had.

Gameplay takes quite a beating as well.  The game demands a lot of trial and error.  If it wasn’t for that, the game would have no challenge at all.  You meet the same bosses over time, with very little variety at all.  It was as if they had no new ideas to bring to the table.  Every so often, the game stops and forces you into what is called “Search Mode”, which forces you to look for a particular “thing” but you aren’t instructed what this thing you are looking for is.  It is basically a poorly thought up version of “Where Waldo?”  What is even worst, these searches really don’t provide anything meaningful.  At times, the game fails to inform you of important information to complete the game.  It became very obvious to me with the final boss.  The only way to defeat the boss was with a newly acquired weapon, and the game gave you 20 seconds to figure that out, randomly, which would require you to pause the game, go to your list of items and learn about your newly acquired item.  Throughout the game, you have been informed of the skills and items you have unlocked?  Why stop because it is the final boss?  Then the entire game seems to have been built around the Wii remote.  While it certainly works well, the game has a strong sense of being “watered down.”   I’ve played games which supported button mashing, but this takes the cake.  You needed to be somewhat coordinated (eg: Dynasty Warriors, any fighting game), but with Metroid: Other M, it would have been a far more challenging action game if it was a turn based RPG.

The story itself is utter garbage.  The game is trying to tell a few stories at the same time, and it all collapses together.  The Federation with their conspiracy to keep the project a secret, a creator’s experiment gone wrong, the relationship between the Adam Malchavich and Samus Aran, and Samus’ own past.  No amount of “high quality” CGI can offset this stinker.  It seems to conflict around a lot of the lore and story behind the Metroid series.  Simply put, it is a waste of money that could have been used for improving gameplay and increasing content.

Simply put, this game can easily be passed out, even by Metroid fans.  Hell, even if you are a fan of Metroid, you probably want to skip out on this game.  If you really need to get your Metoid hook, I suggest you do one of the following, Buy Metroid Prime Trilogy, The original Metroid, or Super Metroid, and all are playable on your Wii.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Godwind

I was initially going to make a video on this, but I couldn't find the time.  So I'll just keep my thoughts written.   The other reason I am doing this is because Hailinel's complaint on people's complaint.

Let me give you the short hand review of Metroid: Other M, it sucks.  It isn’t that Metroid: Other M is unplayable, your time and money is better spent elsewhere.  It’s a shame because Nintendo has seen better days with Metroid.  To state the greatest criticism, it’s not a real Metroid game despite what the box might say.  The game is best described as a cross between Metal Gear Solid and Ninja Gaiden, both which outclass this game on what it is trying to achieve.

The content offered by this game is weak.  The game divided into 4 sectors, the main sector, and sectors 1, 2, and 3, all which take place on a space ship.  The main sector is the laboratory of the ship, while sector 1, 2, and 3 are meant to simulate a forest, lava, and snow zones.  While it sounds generic, that really isn’t the problem.  They have been the staples of the Metroid series.  The problem comes from not being fleshed out.  It gears itself only to serve as a barrier from point A to B while in previous Metroid games, these worlds were the point of interest.  There simply isn’t enough going on to care about it.  They also lack that “organic” feeling that previous Metroid games had.

Gameplay takes quite a beating as well.  The game demands a lot of trial and error.  If it wasn’t for that, the game would have no challenge at all.  You meet the same bosses over time, with very little variety at all.  It was as if they had no new ideas to bring to the table.  Every so often, the game stops and forces you into what is called “Search Mode”, which forces you to look for a particular “thing” but you aren’t instructed what this thing you are looking for is.  It is basically a poorly thought up version of “Where Waldo?”  What is even worst, these searches really don’t provide anything meaningful.  At times, the game fails to inform you of important information to complete the game.  It became very obvious to me with the final boss.  The only way to defeat the boss was with a newly acquired weapon, and the game gave you 20 seconds to figure that out, randomly, which would require you to pause the game, go to your list of items and learn about your newly acquired item.  Throughout the game, you have been informed of the skills and items you have unlocked?  Why stop because it is the final boss?  Then the entire game seems to have been built around the Wii remote.  While it certainly works well, the game has a strong sense of being “watered down.”   I’ve played games which supported button mashing, but this takes the cake.  You needed to be somewhat coordinated (eg: Dynasty Warriors, any fighting game), but with Metroid: Other M, it would have been a far more challenging action game if it was a turn based RPG.

The story itself is utter garbage.  The game is trying to tell a few stories at the same time, and it all collapses together.  The Federation with their conspiracy to keep the project a secret, a creator’s experiment gone wrong, the relationship between the Adam Malchavich and Samus Aran, and Samus’ own past.  No amount of “high quality” CGI can offset this stinker.  It seems to conflict around a lot of the lore and story behind the Metroid series.  Simply put, it is a waste of money that could have been used for improving gameplay and increasing content.

Simply put, this game can easily be passed out, even by Metroid fans.  Hell, even if you are a fan of Metroid, you probably want to skip out on this game.  If you really need to get your Metoid hook, I suggest you do one of the following, Buy Metroid Prime Trilogy, The original Metroid, or Super Metroid, and all are playable on your Wii.

Genjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Genjai

Thanks. I was going to go out this weekend and buy Other M with a coupon I had. You just saved me $35. I'll borrow it from a friend later.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel

As a fan of Metroid, I can't say that I felt a desire to pass on it, and I'm glad I didn't.  And as for the boss, I had no trouble figuring out what was required to beat it.  I mean, the scenario that you're put in at the end of the fight makes it pretty obvious what needs to be done.  Does the game come out and say it?  No, but it shouldn't have to because the the gun, as it were, was already displayed on the mantelpiece in the first act.  You were taught how to use it.  So use it.

Other M isn't a game without faults, but some of your criticisms just aren't very fleshed out.  You don't really get into the story at all beyond, "I don't like it."  You fail to mention that the structure of the game and the environmental design is similar to that of Metroid Fusion.  I also don't get the sense that the gameplay is "watered down."  It was designed to work with the control scheme chosen, and there were some parts of the game that I found particularly challenging.  There were some boss fights that took me a number of tries to beat, some environmental puzzles that I had to wrack my brain on, and there were some rather tense moments where I was running through the environment, hoping not to get jumped by an enemy because my health was running low, but just not quite low enough to allow for a recharge.  And even when my health was full, some enemies would give me a pounding.  Is it challenging in the sense that one would expect from say, a Ninja Gaiden?  No.  But the difficulty and sense of progression were in line with my general experience with the Metroid series.  There's nothing watered down about it.

Metroid:  Other M is not trying to be Ninja Gaiden.  Certainly, there are aspects of the gameplay and design that are signatures of Team Ninja, but this isn't Team Ninja trying to fit Metroid into the Ninja Gaiden mold.  It's their attempt at a variation on the traditional form of Metroid game, and for that, I applaud them.  I enjoy Super Metroid as much as the next long-time Metroid fan, but I don't demand or expect any new Metroid game to be the second-coming of the SNES games.  At least, not unless Nintendo were to remake it in the same vein as Zero Mission.

As for the plot, it was easy to follow and did nothing to contradict itself or the series canon.  It's actually quite reverential of it and helps fill in minor details that are nice bits of lore here and there while going into more depth on aspects of the story and Samus's character that had never been touched upon in the games.  It's the sort of Metroid game that I've been waiting years for.  One that took its story seriously and presented Samus as an actual character, all with the level of cutscene detail and voice acting that Nintendo has been until now unwilling to pursue.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

Feelings betrayed is the tone I get from your review. I need to play one day, and let my truth be the final answer to my time played.

Akel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Akel

So...what kind of games can we then relate this to? I'm not a big fan of metroid. Is this a game for people who aren't fans of metroid?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel
    @Akel said:

" So...what kind of games can we then relate this to? I'm not a big fan of metroid. Is this a game for people who aren't fans of metroid? "

The game is still very much a Metroid game.  It's just not strictly set in a 2D plane, and the gameplay is almost nothing like the Metroid Prime series.  If you're not a Metroid fan in general, Other M isn't necessarily going to change your mind.  On the other hand, the game is different enough from the strict 2D Metroidvanias that there's a chance that the gameplay could be to your liking.  If you're unsure, you can give it a rental.  As it stands, the main storyline can be beaten in roughly eight to ten hours the first time through, which is not an unusual length for a Metroid title.
    Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Kjellm87

Best Metroid yet? Nope. 
    But I enjoyed it, and I wouldn't mind another Other M with all these issues fixed, gameplay improved and less focus on story.
    I ALSO wouldn't mind a new 2D Metroid.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Pretty nice review. 
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Emilio

The game has the character movement of Ninja Gaiden, which I like, and when it goes into those side scrolling modes, it is definitely Metroid. It also has a bunch of enemies from the first game, which was nice. 

I never had any trouble with the game, except for one spot where I didn't know what to do until I bomb blasted an area. 

I also like the "simulated" environments... since they are real. I welcomed every big enemy encounter, but sometimes ran past them because they weren't worth my time. 

I can't really remember much of the story, but there was a nice plot twist in it. 

I don't know how I'd feel about a sequel. It'd have to be way bigger, and hopefully more colorful.

Hypertreb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Hypertreb

I really enjoyed it. The story was interesting, and had a few good twists. The game was perfectly playable, even if the controls where a little strange. The boss fights were really challenging, but never really cheap.

The_Moose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By The_Moose

Good review!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.