Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Miyamoto on why Nintendo doesn't like to make realistic graphics

• 155 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

@Atramentous said:

" Will do, and thanks for the encouragement. This has got so far off from what I was saying to begin with so let me spell it out here. Nintendo has certain franchises that will always be on the stylized side of things, thats a given. But the only reason they dont do realism is because they to this point cant really do it(be it hardware or otherwise). The statement that they try to be different is a cop out because thats pretty much the only direction they have(again be it hardware or otherwise). I have my issues with waggle control but Im an old man and I still loves me some Nintendo games, however Im not blinded by that to the point of not being able to see that when the cards fell Nintendo didnt draw a good hand and they had to work with what they had. They did a good job as far as a business is concerned, but if you think that what we see from Nintendo is not a direct result of hardware, developer, and competition then you are a fool.  "

You know what? Fuck. I timed out or whatever while I was typing and lost everything. Basic gist: The Wii was designed, it didn't just appear out of thin air, and both the software and hardware are designed to take advantage of Nintendo's strengths, and to take advantage of their image which, outside of certain "hardcore" gaming circles, is quite high. Also mentioned that this image is centered around high quality games that are also suitable for kids.

Then I pointed at cubed and asked what the fuck ethics has to do with this discussion. It's got abso-fucking-lutely nothing to do with design philosophy.

EDIT:
    Oh, and the Wii was designed to be cheap.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#152  Edited By Willy105
    @Atramentous said:
    Why do people still think this shit. They didnt invent the wheel. Analog sticks go back as far as old Atari systems, maybe before. Rumble had been done for years on the pc before n64. 4 player built in was done on consoles before n64. 3d exploration gameplay has to be a joke because that wasn't anything new either. Anti-aliasing and add-ons had been done on consoles as well, so what your left with is portable connectivity and that certainly was important. You can tell how important it is by how much we connect our portables to our consoles these days.  As for the topic at hand. Putting aside the quality of the system and software, the entire shpeal is clearly just business talk so I have no idea why this topic is still going. The console is underpowered, they know that and so do we. If it had the guts to handle what the other consoles can then you better vet your ass that ol'ninty would be pumping out some games that look like what everyone else is doing. Why would they do this you may ask? Because they are a business, and not actually your bestest ever friend in the world. They are out for money like everyone else, they just have to make due with what they have because they have no choice. At the end of the day while Mario will never go the realistic route, certainly other Nintendo property's would if they had the hardware to pull it off. "
    Yeah, whatever. You can ignore it all you want, but they always end up changing their industry by their terms, even if they give up their 1st place position in the console wars. Nice philosophy, the best way to learn is for you to teach yourself, isn't it?
    Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By Th3_James

There is alot of creative shit that looks amazing, graphics don't have to look 8 years old to be unique and stand out.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

But you can. I don't get what this "ugly" nonsense is all about. I liked the graphics 8 years ago. I can still play Quake and I can enjoy it, dammit!

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#155  Edited By demontium
    @Willy105: In more shocking news... Humans still breathe air.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.