Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Motion Plus is under threat

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Godwind

Nyko does what Ninten-didn't with the introduction of the Nyko Wand+, a Wii remote alternative with Motion Plus support built right in.

Debuting today at CES in Las Vegas, the Nyko Wand+ features Full Motion Technology, offering the same 1:1 movement tracking capability as the regular Nintendo remote with the Wii Motion Plus add-on attached. In the official announcement, Nyko takes a subtle swipe at Nintendo for not creating an all-in-one controller of its own.

By building the technology into the controller, the Wand + provides all the functionality Wii gamers expect, plus the versatility and convenience they deserve; no more dongles, no more custom sleeves or incompatibility with docks and other accessories not able to accommodate attached dongles.

Ouch. If I were Nintendo, I'd be a bit embarrassed.

The Wand+ also includes Nyko's Trans-Port Technology, which allows action buttons to be replicated electronically on attached accessories, as opposed to Nintendo's analog connector.

All this for $39.99 when the Nyko Wand+ ships this March.

Source: Kotaku
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By demontium
    @Godwind: Nintendidn't. why is it only $40, is it cheaper than a wiimote + motion plus for a reason? 

Either way good job Nyko, now I must wait for nintendo to follow suite with first party tech.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

I'm surprised that Nintendo hasn't created this peripheral. Why not? From the comments the thing seems to work fine. 

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By demontium
    @Claude: I know, and no one could design better than them.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Claude
    @demontium said:
    " @Claude: I know, and no one could design better than them. "
    I like the Wii Remote design better, but here's a picture.

No Caption Provided
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By demontium
    @Claude: It looks REALLY cool. 

Although D-Pad looks.... iffy. 

Whats with the little circles?
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Claude
    @demontium said:
    " @Claude: It looks REALLY cool.  Although D-Pad looks.... iffy.  Whats with the little circles? "
    That would be the speaker. I've always been wary of off-brand products, but that's just me being a wimp.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By JJOR64

God, that controller looks fucking ugly.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Mushir

That controller looks ugly as hell!

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By demontium
    @Claude said:
    " @demontium said:
    " @Claude: It looks REALLY cool.  Although D-Pad looks.... iffy.  Whats with the little circles? "
    That would be the speaker. I've always been wary of off-brand products, but that's just me being a wimp. "
    *looks at wireless nunchuck by NyKo* 

Yuppers.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By agentboolen

I'm betting Nintendo didn't do this yet because of difficulties of phacing out the old controller. I think eventually they probably will do the same thing but they probably want to move more of the old controller first. Just my idea.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@demontium

I think the d-pad looks good personally.  I like the rounded edges on the diagonals as I think it might make it easier to effect diagonal movement.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By AndrewB

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the only reason Nintendo hasn't is because they'd be leaving the millions upon millions of people who already bought a system and a full set of controllers out to dry. Much cheaper to make the little add-on parts than it is to buy a full new set. I personally only own two Wii Remotes and one nunchuck, so I wouldn't have minded.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By demontium
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @demontium  I think the d-pad looks good personally.  I like the rounded edges on the diagonals as I think it might make it easier to effect diagonal movement. "
    Next time press reply. 

I am not saying its bad, but 3rd party tech typically seems to LOVE to screw itself over by making itself retarded.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @demontium: 

Thanks for the tip. :)

I don't know if that's as typical as you make it sound.  I think it's just that people like Madcatz and cheaper brands have been giving 3rd party controllers a bad name.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By demontium
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @demontium:   Thanks for the tip. :)  I don't know if that's as typical as you make it sound.  I think it's just that people like Madcatz and cheaper brands have been giving 3rd party controllers a bad name. "
    Madcatz only does good fightsticks. Other than that, they are cheaper because they use crappy parts.
    rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rmills87

IDK...I'm one of those people that sticks with authentic remotes built by the first party.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By Willy105

Not much of a threat (compared to what I was expecting when I read the thread title), but the Nyko wand is a tech marvel. Nintendo is already bundling Motion Plus with every Wiimote, but they are still seperate things.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Al3xand3r

The price isn't that much lower than the M+ remote bundles (depending on where and when you shop), and to me this is just a wasted opportunity to address a few minor issues the official remote has with certain games, like putting + and - closer to the A button, or even placing the d-pad's directions themselves around the A button for easier access in the games that use them prominently (though that could screw up the NES style use obviously, but everyone would have at least one official remote for that kind of use). Anyway, wouldn't they have to licence things from Nintendo for it to be fully compatible? So, Nintendo still gains something maybe, plus, I imagine most people already have a remote or more so will be more inclined to buy the much cheaper upgrade (especially if they buy a game bundle) than a whole new remote like this one.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By demontium
    @Willy105 said:
    " Not much of a threat (compared to what I was expecting when I read the thread title), but the Nyko wand is a tech marvel. Nintendo is already bundling Motion Plus with every Wiimote, but they are still seperate things. "
    At 40 bucks it is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.