Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Need Your Opinions Giant Bomb

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By breadfan

So I got a Wii from my aunt and uncle the other day for my birthday and I am completely lost as to what games I should actually get. I have already dabbled with some Virtual Console downloads, but I still haven't purchased an actual game. I plan on getting Silent Hill: Shattered Memories later today, and eventually the obvious choices such as Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Galaxy, and the such. 

However I am a little torn between the following games: 

If anyone can recommend some titles as well as give opinions on the ones listed above I would appreciate it. 
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By VWGTI

I highly recommend Muramasa.

Dead Space Extraction is much better than the Resident Evil rail-shooter games, however, if you're a huge Resident Evil fan they're worth checking out. Also, Resident Evil 4 Wii is a must.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By demonbear
    @Br3adfan said:
    "  However I am a little torn between the following games: 
    Resident Evil 4 sounds like a must and apparantly is one of the best implementations of the wii in a shooter.  Plus such a great game. I STILL can't believe it ran on the gamecube.
    Dead space Extraction is the best game no one played last year. Its awesome. You played dead space? Get it now! you didnt? get it anyway.
    Wario Shake it is alright. My girlfriend has it she likes it alot. Lots of style and humor and a pretty good classic platformer.
    DrFidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By DrFidget

There is no reason anyone should have to play Pokémon Battle Revolution, ever.
    I’d hit up the virtual console and Wii Ware. Never hurts to have Mario 3 and Bit.Trip Void a button press away.    

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Meowayne

Of course you need to check out the consummate Wii games list if you haven't already. 

In regards to your games: Umbrella Chronicles <<<<<< Darkside Chronicles < Dead Space: Extraction

Darkside Chronicles made Umbrella Chronicles obsolete. DC starts slow but gets progressively better and offers a great and lengthy arcade shooter experience with some real highlights. Dead Space: Extraction isn't an arcade shooter in the traditional sense, it is very much focused on story, characters, atmosphere, sound design and originality. It is clearly the better game, though shorter, and not necessarily what you're looking for when you want an Arcade Shooter. 

Is Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition worth going through again just for the controls? 

Yes. Definitely yes.  Especially if you haven't played through the extras yet. It is the definite version of that game. The downside is that you'll have a hard time playing RE5 after RE4's Wii controls.

Wario Land: Shake It is exactly what you'd expect. It will not let you down, but it won't surprise you either. There is nothing wrong with the game, however, if you're looking for 2D platforming, there are obviously better choices such as A Boy And His Blob and LostWinds.

You also need to play Wii Sports Resort.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By breadfan
    @DrFidget: Mario 3 is one of the games I already bought. I've heard very very mixed things about Pokemon Battle Revolution. What makes it so bad? 
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By ZenaxPure
    Only, ONLY get Pokemon Battle Revolution if you consider yourself someone in tune with the meta game, there is nothing to that game other than customizing your characters appearance and fighting online. For the online I've personally had a lot of fun with it, but I really love competitive online fighting. If you do not care about IVs, EVs, team synergy, natures, and so on you will get absolutely crushed if you attempt to fight online and will get no sort of enjoyment out of the game, seriously do not buy it unless you like competitive Pokemon battling.  

As for the other stuff, other posts tackle that stuff nicely.
    DrFidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DrFidget
    @Br3adfan:  If you don’t have the any of the DS games you’re forced to use stock Pokémon, which doesn‘t work so well. If you do have the DS games then there is nothing in BR you can’t already do, save for some rule sets you can only use in the campaign. Basically, there is no content other than battles. Battles you can do just as easily on your DS.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @DrFidget said:
    " @Br3adfan:  If you don’t have the any of the DS games you’re forced to use stock Pokémon, which doesn‘t work so well. If you do have the DS games then there is nothing in BR you can’t already do, save for some rule sets you can only use in the campaign. Basically, there is no content other than battles. Battles you can do just as easily on your DS. "
    Actually the DS games do not offer the option to face random people online via match making, this thing alone (plus the surfing Pikachu I guess) is what makes PBR different than the DS games and the only reason worth buying. However, stuff I said before still applies.
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By breadfan
    @Zenaxzd: @DrFidget: Guess I'll stay away from it then and just wait for Heart Gold to come out in a few weeks to get sucked back into Pokemon.
    DrFidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DrFidget
    @Zenaxzd:  Has the online actually gotten competitive? I only played for about a week after it came out and I only ran in to 2 teams that weren’t stacked with Ubers. Ubers that couldn’t stand a hit from my Walrein.
    nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By nanikore

Sorry, but there are no good Wii games.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Get the first two Phoenix Wright games on WiiWare if you haven't played them before.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @DrFidget said:
    " @Zenaxzd:  Has the online actually gotten competitive? I only played for about a week after it came out and I only ran in to 2 teams that weren’t stacked with Ubers. Ubers that couldn’t stand a hit from my Walrein. "
    I haven't touched it much in a month or so but last time I played I was pleasantly surprised, I sat there for about 4 hours one night and never went up against an uber team. More surprising was the fact I didn't fight a single Garchomp, my mind was blown. Seems to have gotten a lot better than when I started playing it ~year and a half ago or so back then for me it was basically an endless stream of typical OU/uber pokemon with predictable strategies and so I stopped playing for a while.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @creamypies said:
    "

Get the first two Phoenix Wright games on WiiWare if you haven't played them before.

"
    Yes, for sure, the ace attorney games are absolutely great and despite how lazily they were ported they are still totally worth buying considering how expensive the first (and to a lesser extent the second game) is, seriously. Like $50-100 to buy it new online.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JJOR64

Do NOT get Pokemon Battle Revolution.  It's basically a very stripped down Pokemon Stadium with like 3 modes or something like that.

Some Wii games I recommend are:

And of course get Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.  Those are no brainers.
    masterherocard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By masterherocard

See above. 

Also, don't worry about having other games to play. Nintendo's going almost all out this summer.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By breadfan
    @nanikore said:
     Sorry, but there are no good Wii games.

No Caption Provided
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By oldschool
    @Br3adfan said:
    " So I got a Wii from my aunt and uncle the other day for my birthday and I am completely lost as to what games I should actually get. I have already dabbled with some Virtual Console downloads, but I still haven't purchased an actual game. I plan on getting Silent Hill: Shattered Memories later today, and eventually the obvious choices such as Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Galaxy, and the such. 

However I am a little torn between the following games: 
     If anyone can recommend some titles as well as give opinions on the ones listed above I would appreciate it. "
    I have all those games except Darkside Chronicles.  My personal view would be that Darkside Chronicles reviewed better than Umbrella Chronicles, so it is probably better and I do intend to get it.  I enjoyed Umbrella Chronicles, but as an on-rails shooter, I enjoyed  House of Dead: Overkill more (it has much foul language and a shocking story, so beware).   Dead Space Extraction is also an excellent on-rails shooter.   

Don't get Pokemon unless you are an absolute fan or it is very cheap.  It is just a way of getting your characters on your television, but doesn't do anything but just play battles (I don't regret buying it, as we did get our fun out of it).   

I never got the GC version of RE4, so the Wii version was a revelation for me.  It controls brilliantly and I believe I would have enjoyed it a LOT less on the GC as it was the controls that made me love it. 

Wario Land: Shake It is a very good platformer that looks amazing.  However, you really have to enjoy this type of traditional platformer to get the most out of it.  I enjoyed it, but didn't love it. 

I will leave my comments to just what you asked as everyone has different tastes, but there have been plenty of good suggestions above, but maybe I would give one personal favourite not mentioned, Little King's Story.  If you enjoy a mix of sim, RTS and RPG with really adorable characters, but a dark story, then this is brilliant.  Have fun  ^-^
    Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Castro

I haven't played it myself, but I always thought A Boy and His Blob looked really good. Perhaps you should check that one out? Zack and Wiki is an oldie but a goodie. I also enjoyed Super Paper Mario a great deal. I'm trying to think of stuff that hasn't been mentioned here already. Hmm... maybe you can still find copies of Metroid Prime Trilogy?

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By breadfan

Just got home from buying Silent Hill and Darkside Chronicles. Figured I'd take a chance on DC since I'm a big fan of Resident Evil games. 

Thanks for the tips everyone.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By trophyhunter

well it's the wii so it sucks
    your welcome

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Geno

If you already have and beaten RE4 on GC I would say Wii version isn't worth it, the graphics are the same and the Wiimote functionality is okay, but not groundbreaking (if you've played any PC fps, there you go). I've heard good things about Wario Land and DS:E, though I would recommend getting just Dead Space if you have any other system that can play it. 

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By breadfan
    @trophyhunter: Oh hey it's you spouting more stupidity.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Br3adfan said:
    " @trophyhunter: Oh hey it's you spouting more stupidity. "
    oooh hey it's you 
    you changed your icon I actually thought you were someone else
    JohnRehill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By JohnRehill
    @JJOR64 said:
    " Do NOT get Pokemon Battle Revolution.  It's basically a very stripped down Pokemon Stadium with like 3 modes or something like that.

Some Wii games I recommend are:

And of course get Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.  Those are no brainers. "
    This.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By JJWeatherman

If you haven't already bought Silent Hill, I would recommend you rent it. It's shorty McShort yo...

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By oldschool
    @trophyhunter said:
    " well it's the wii so it sucks your welcome "
    Oh, you silly goose you  ^-^ 

@Br3adfan said:
    " Just got home from buying Silent Hill and Darkside Chronicles. Figured I'd take a chance on DC since I'm a big fan of Resident Evil games.  Thanks for the tips everyone. "
    Hope you have fun man, and if you don't like the games, it isn't the console it is just the game and your tastes  :-)
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Meowayne
    @Br3adfan said:
    " Just got home from buying Silent Hill and Darkside Chronicles. Figured I'd take a chance on DC since I'm a big fan of Resident Evil games.  Thanks for the tips everyone. "
    Very ncie. Remember that Darkside Chronicles starts out pretty lame. It gets progressively better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.