New Nintendo Patent: "Wii Light"

#1 Edited by Contro (2040 posts) -

A newly uncovered Nintendo patent reveals an external lighting device for the Wii that reacts instantly to how you play certain games. Of course, mood lighting technology is not uncommon today, however, it's application in video games has barely been touched upon with only Sony using it slightly with it's PlayStation Move device.

Nintendo's "Wii Light" is a external portable mood light that is able to display up to 256 different colours at varying intensities. The patent, devised sometime in 2009, mentions applications for the technology, which include shooting on targets in a FPS's, and highlighting special attacks in fighting games. Wii games could also be set to vary the lights, colours, intensity and special effects on specific button presses. Nintendo also proposes the "Wii Light" could be used to match a game's BGM, by composing colour and intensity displays in a way that suits a games music.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/04/05/nintendo-patent-reveals-unreleased-wii-light-accessory/
#2 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

Sounds like another Nintendo accessory that sounds kinda cool but would never really see proper use.

Count me in.
#3 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -
@SlashseveN303 said:
" Sounds like another Nintendo accessory that sounds kinda cool but would never really see proper use.
Count me in.
"

Hmm, we're still waiting to see a practical use of the "Wii Vitality Sensor" concept...(could happen at E3) I reckon that device used alongside this one could be quite cool in something like a horror game.

I like this concept, I think it would be quite cool to have ambient colours aid the experience of certain games like Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda, be it providing lighting to music, or using it as a way to pass on notifications.
#4 Posted by Freezer_Burn (207 posts) -

My first thought was, how the hell do you make the Wii smaller? It'll most likely be another accessory that will get little support, but has MUCH more potential then the vitality sensor. Interested none the less.
#5 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -
@Freezer_Burn said:
" My first thought was, how the hell do you make the Wii smaller? It'll most likely be another accessory that will get little support, but has MUCH more potential then the vitality sensor. Interested none the less. "
The Wii Lite would at least be more useful than the Wii Light.
#6 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -
@Freezer_Burn said:
" My first thought was, how the hell do you make the Wii smaller? It'll most likely be another accessory that will get little support, but has MUCH more potential then the vitality sensor. Interested none the less. "
I think they're both pretty good concepts, it's just that we've seen nothing born from them yet.

#7 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
#8 Edited by jorok_goldblade (9 posts) -

It makes the "projector" part of this rumor make a bit more sense.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/2011/03/rumor-wii-2-to-debut-at-e3-2011-what-would-it-mean-for-skyward-sword.html

#9 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -
@jorok_goldblade said:
" It makes the "projector" part of this rumor make a bit more sense. http://www.zeldainformer.com/2011/03/rumor-wii-2-to-debut-at-e3-2011-what-would-it-mean-for-skyward-sword.html "

Yes, I've already posted that in the Wii thread.

You could be right.
#10 Posted by mariokart64fan (366 posts) -

sounds interisting but until i see this in action , i wont even bother -mentioning about getting one i saw kenict that was a disaster so was move i am never going to pay 100-150 up front for somthing that i only ever used once , and this is how my wii mote plus addon has been - regret every bit of it, until wii u as thats when it really takes off,

i will wait and see what happens here add-ons are starting to tick me off , reminds me of the sega days when they just kept slapping stuff on,

#11 Posted by SpaceRunaway (861 posts) -

God damn, first it's flashlights for the DSi, now one for your TV?  You can't even carry it around! 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.