Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

New Nintendo speculation continues. Now it is THQs turn.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

Go to Source 

The rumours just won't go away and here we have the latest edition of them: 

Reader Zelos has sent a bunch of information our way regarding Nintendo’s rumored platform announcement at GDC. For those who missed out on the original story, there was some unconfirmed speculation earlier this week from “an employee at a major international publisher” that Nintendo has a platform announcement in store for GDC. Now the latest news is that Ubisoft and THQ might be hinting at that same revelation next month. I’ll let Zelos explain…    

“I’m a member of the Dutch website www.Wii-DS.nl (I’m sure you’ve heard about them before: they’re the biggest Nintendo-website in the Benelux and often come up with exclusive news like European releasedates and screenshots. They’ve had exclusives like the PAL-releasedate of Mario Kart Wii and Fire Emblem DS and they had the first exclusive screenshots from Excitebots…something remarkably was posted on their forum today.  

The Ubisoft Benelux Brand Manager named Leon Winkler, registered himself a while ago on the Wii-DS.nl forum to answer questions about Red Steel 2 personally. After a while, the questions were also related to other game-stuff and right after the presented rumour of Nintendo’s next platform, the following question came up on the forum, in Dutch:

“Oh en Leon heb je al gehoord van de sappige roddel dat Nintendo tijden GDC 2010 een “nieuw platform” gaat aankondigen? DS2 lijkt me niet logisch aangezien de DSI XL dan net op de markt is. De meeste tekenen gaan naar een revamp van de Wii (WiiHD anyone?). Schijnt gelekt te zijn door een “medewerker van een grote internationale publisher”, ben jij die medewerker toevallig Leon?” 

The literal translation:

“Oh, and Leon, did you already hear about the juicy rumor regarding Nintendo revealing a ‘new platform’ on the GDC 2010? The DS2 doesn’t seem too obvious since the DSi XL is going to be released soon. Most of the signs point at a revamp of the current Wii (WiiHD anyone?). It seems to be leaked by an ‘employee of a big international publisher’. Are you that employee by any chance, Leon?”   

Mind you that this was simply a member who added random information in his question, like his own Wii-revamp theory. Also, I don’t think the Benelux Brand Manager of Ubisoft Benelux would personally contact Videogamer.com. Even so, Leon’s answer was very interesting. His answer in Dutch:

“Ik lek alleen als ik naar de wc ga. Ik weet het wel, maar ga het niet zeggen MWOAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Speculeer er lekker op los. “ 

The literal translation:

“I only leak when I go to the toilet. I do know it, but I’m not going to tell it MWOAAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Have fun speculating  !”   

You can find these quotes on this page:

http://www.wiids.nl/topic.php?topicID”503&page=4#668725

You may be able to relate this to Ubisoft’s statement on Twitter today saying there’s going to be a “VERY BIG” announcement next week, though it’s not very likely. Source:

http://twitter.com/Ubisoft  

Wii-DS.nl also stated the possible connection and made a newspost about it, including the information from their own forum, saying it adds strength to the rumor of Nintendo’s possible new platform:

http://www.wiids.nl/article.php?id2288 

So yeah, it definitely adds strength to the rumor of Nintendo’s new upcoming platform. I figured you guys would like this information and I think a lot more people would  .   

I just noticed a very interesting newspost on Wii-DS.nl again, regarding the whole ‘new platform’ speculation. This time it’s THQ that adds more strength to the whole story. You can find the article here:

http://www.wiids.nl/article.php?id2290 

I’ll translate it for you, entirely:

“After Ubisoft, THQ follows the hype of ‘we do know it, but we won’t tell’-principle.   

That Ubisoft may be teasing on our forum is plausible, but remarks like the ones on our forum are especially dangerous in times of speculation. That’s why THQ is now getting quoted for their ‘vague’ talking about upcoming releases. 

We asked THQ, after THQ had revealed their line-up for 2010 and came up with MX vs ATV Reflex, Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising, Metro 2033, UFC Undisputed 2010 and HomeFront (PS3, Xbox 360 and/or PC-titles only), if anything’s coming up for Nintendo. Joey Smits, SR Product & PR Manager of THQ Benelux, replied to the matter with the following words:

quote:
    “Enough’s coming up, but I may not talk about it yet 

The big question is what we can define as ‘enough’. A new Spongebob-title? Drawn to Life 3? New Bratz-parts? Other sequels or maybe new franchises? Or does this ‘enough’ refer to a completely new line-up regarding the possible ‘new platform’ from Nintendo? It’s fun to speculate in times like these and that’s why we wanted to share this piece of information with you.” 

I personally don't think it is WiiHD or DS2.  Clearly there is too much speculation going on for it to be nothing at all, although I wouldn't be surprised to see GDC pass by and nothing happens.  My belief at this stage is that it is a single screen Gameboy device with heaps of power, a device that if it succeeds will negate the need for DS2 for a while or completely, just as DS did to GBA.  Make of it what you will.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

I'm not even going to hazard a guess at what Nintendo might be planning to unveil at GDC, if anything.  Their announcements tend to defy speculation (see:  announcement of original DS, the unveiling of the Wii Remote).

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ArchScabby

I want a next gen Zelda sooo bad.  A new Wii one would be alright too, but A hi def amazingly detailed Zelda would be awesome.

That's why I want a new nintendo console, no a handheld but whatever.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By weltal

Super Nintento Wii on the way?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Dalai

All I know is a sequel to deBlob is happening. I'm happy for that. 

As for WiiHDs and DS2s, let NIntendo spill the beans on that.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " This could be the DSi's Virtual Gameboy also... "
    Now with four screens for each eye!
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Coombs
    @Weltal said:
    " Super Nintento Wii on the way? "
    If it's not called that when it comes out I will cry now
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ajamafalous

I'd be stoked for a new GameBoy.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Castro

With the DS and Wii brands doing so well right now, I think it would be foolish to come out with a new Game Boy. Plus, the term "Game Boy" doesn't really fit with Nintendo's whole branding scheme as of late. I also doubt that they would announce a new DS with the DSi XL coming so soon. Also, the DS has a huge install base and people aren't exactly jumping ship to the PSP. They're going to milk the DS for as long as they can, which will be quite a bit longer I think.

Personally, I'm hoping for a WiiHD. Primarily because I think it would be great for Michael Pachter to be right. Also, the DS has been through a crap-ton of revisions since it's been out. It's absurd to think that the Wii has not had one yet. I think it's about time.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Godwind

Why is everyone complaining about WiiHD?  What happened to DSiHD?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldschool
    @Castro said:
    " With the DS and Wii brands doing so well right now, I think it would be foolish to come out with a new Game Boy. Plus, the term "Game Boy" doesn't really fit with Nintendo's whole branding scheme as of late. I also doubt that they would announce a new DS with the DSi XL coming so soon. Also, the DS has a huge install base and people aren't exactly jumping ship to the PSP. They're going to milk the DS for as long as they can, which will be quite a bit longer I think.  Personally, I'm hoping for a WiiHD. Primarily because I think it would be great for Michael Pachter to be right. Also, the DS has been through a crap-ton of revisions since it's been out. It's absurd to think that the Wii has not had one yet. I think it's about time. "
    I think the term "Gameboy" is dead as well and as much as I love that brand, it would be corporate suicide to bring it back.  The new audience of games has many an older person in it and Nintendo would wish to carry as many as possible of them onto any new console and most adults would walk a mile away from admitting they play a "Gameboy".  If it is effectively a Gameboy, taking into account Nintendos frequency of name changes, it will have a totally new name.  No idea what, I mean, who would have thought the name "Wii" before it was announced?   

Maybe it will be a handheld based around the Wii and called the WiiP (Wii Portable).  WiiP, that's amused me  (^_^) 

Anyway, I don't believe for a second the Gameboy is coming back as a brand.  As much as I would like a new, traditional handheld, whatever it is, it won't just play games like the old days.  It would have to have something unique to set it apart from the PSP.  Expect the unexpected I guess.
    sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By sopranosfan

I hope it is an entirely new handheld.  I enjoy my DS but it's limitations in the 3d plane limits its game development. 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool
    @sopranosfan said:
    " I hope it is an entirely new handheld.  I enjoy my DS but it's limitations in the 3d plane limits its game development.  "
    Which is why I am expecting a new Gameboy style device, powerful but not called a Gameboy.  As much as I love my DS, I also would like a more capable device that ISN'T a PSP or iPod Touch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.