New "Wii Family Edition" - Due This Holiday Season

#1 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

Nintendo has revealed plans to roll out new streamlined Wii console that ditches Gamecube support.  Those looking to buy a Wii during the holiday season can opt for a new cheaper model as part of a new bundle called "Wii Family Edition". The new bundle includes a Wii Remote Plus, a Nunchuck and Wii Sports and Wii Party.  

Nintendo say the console has been designed to sit horizontally instead of vertical.  

#2 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Wait 

The original Wii was meant to be stood vertically? 

#3 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3482 posts) -
#4 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

Already a thread here.

Though it is in General Discussion... And yours has more text...

#5 Posted by J12088 (435 posts) -
@Jack268: What did you suppose the stand was for?
#6 Posted by buft (3301 posts) -

its already ludicrously cheap here (£99) if a cheaper model comes along i might rebuy one for the games i managed to miss.

#7 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@J12088 said:
@Jack268: What did you suppose the stand was for?
I didn't get any stand. And I still assume a console that has a disc reader is supposed to be horizontal.
#8 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Silly.

Bet the Wii-U will sell GC titles digitally.

#9 Posted by Vexxan (4615 posts) -

Was it confirmed that this new version was going to be cheaper?

#10 Edited by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

This is silly. The wii has already been a family edition since the start.

#11 Posted by AbeTheGreatest (132 posts) -

This seems to be the most pointless redesign of a console ever

#12 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

This is both a good and a bad move.

The good part is that the people they are targeting this at probably don't even know what a Gamecube is. The bad part is that the people that they are targeting this at already have a Wii.

#13 Posted by mariokart64fan (366 posts) -

they also got a black one with super mario galaxy soundtrack and new super mario bros wii

#14 Posted by mariokart64fan (366 posts) -

and a blue core unit

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.