Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

New 'Wii HD' !

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Straight from WhatTheyPlay for full story.

What They Play has heard from multiple sources in the game development and publishing community that Nintendo is currently showing early presentations of its next home console hardware. Apparently set to hit the market “by 2011” the new device is said to be the true “next generation” Nintendo console, and far more than a simple refresh of the current hardware. Unlike previous console transitions from Nintendo, the new system will be presented as a true successor to the Wii, and is being dubbed by those that have seen the presentation as “Wii HD.” There is no indication if this will be its eventual name, but the nature of the transition has been characterized as similar to “the shift from Game Boy to Game Boy Advance,” where familiar, key elements were left intact while the core hardware was made more powerful. It is expected by all those that we have spoken to on the subject that the new device will retain the Wii name in part.

sweet.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

Can we call it the WD40?

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Otacon

This wouldn't suprise me if it were true, a company like Nintendo can introduce a new product in a shorter span because they value their hardware sales greatly. Wii is a massive brand now, they won't drop it.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jNerd

Digital Erection! As a core gamer I'm fed up with the Wii. I'll get the next Miyamoto games, Mad World, & maybe AC but other then that not too much interests me anymore. I'm hell'a ready for a Nintendo 360 FINALLY! I wanted HD fuckin Super Mario Galaxy back in the day =( Then Ninty crushed my Revolution with specs ='(

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ZenaxPure

Honestly I thought it was kinda obvious it would happen eventually, but whatever. I know I am probably the minority here but I fully expect them to rip off the 360 next gen and get their online service correct (which I for one am completely fine with, please bring me the "Mii Points" or whatever). The only reason I figure they don't give a shit this gen is they are going to upgrade it to at least 360 level hardware in a year or 3 anyway.

Max_Chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Max_Chill
    Gorillawhat said:

sweet."
    no, Sour
    Earthbounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Earthbounder

Nice! I still think the Wii could keep up its pace until 2012 so releasing a new system in 2011 is slightly early than I was expecting.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

I hate stupid rumours like that, if it's not people whining about the Wii, it's people drooling over supposed future hardware, downplaying the importance of the current. 2011? Seriously? And they already have it on display for people? How likely is that? Not to mention that everything depends on the market, Nintendo won't put out a new system if the current one is going strong so they can't possibly have plans for 2011 already, they'll have to see hints of a shrinking market to even begin setting a date. It will also depend on the competitors. If Sony and Microsoft really go for this fabled 10 year lifetime then the Wii can certainly outdo them in sales for the duration and have no reason to get a new system out earlier. How many times have we heard of new Wii consoles by now? When the DS was first released we kept hearing it's not the true successor to Gameboy Advance and that they'd have a new, traditional (non dual screen) much more powerful portable to match and surpass the PSP (as if the DS didn't already). Guess what, it hasn't happened yet, and now people are discussing the supposed brand new dual touch screen portable. Same with the Wii rumours. No thank you, just focus on getting us games information and news on the related websites, Wii owners currently have to hunt either obscure Japanese websites or go to some of the good fansites like gonintendo.com for actual gaming news while the rest of the world (and even many Wii owners who let it "gather dust" or whatever) is oblivious to the existent of tons of upcoming gaming gems, and even already released ones (how many people go "De Blob has been released?" still, even though that's one of the most hyped recent Wii titles) showing the problematic reporting.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By brukaoru

With the HD market expanding, this really isn't a big surprise to me. It also doesn't surprise me that they would create a new console based heavily on the Wii, with a few adjustments. I'm just curious if they will announce that Virtual Console/WiiWare games will be transferable.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jayge_
    Al3xand3r said:
    "I hate stupid rumours like that, if it's not people whining about the Wii, it's people drooling over supposed future hardware, downplaying the importance of the current. 2011? Seriously? And they already have it on display for people? How likely is that? Not to mention that everything depends on the market, Nintendo won't put out a new system if the current one is going strong so they can't possibly have plans for 2011 already, they'll have to see hints of a shrinking market to even begin setting a date. It will also depend on the competitors. If Sony and Microsoft really go for this fabled 10 year lifetime then the Wii can certainly outdo them in sales for the duration and have no reason to get a new system out earlier. How many times have we heard of new Wii consoles by now? When the DS was first released we kept hearing it's not the true successor to Gameboy Advance and that they'd have a new, traditional (non dual screen) much more powerful portable to match and surpass the PSP (as if the DS didn't already). Guess what, it hasn't happened yet, and now people are discussing the supposed brand new dual touch screen portable. Same with the Wii rumours. No thank you, just focus on getting us games information and news on the related websites, Wii owners currently have to hunt either obscure Japanese websites or go to some of the good fansites like gonintendo.com for actual gaming news while the rest of the world (and even many Wii owners who let it "gather dust" or whatever) is oblivious to the existent of tons of upcoming gaming gems, and even already released ones (how many people go "De Blob has been released?" still, even though that's one of the most hyped recent Wii titles) showing the problematic reporting."
    You have no idea what you're talking about with that 10 year lifetime or really anything else do you. And looooool @ the DS surpassing the PSP, especially from a hardware standpoint.
    Max_Chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Max_Chill
    Earthbounder said:
    "Nice! I still think the Wii could keep up its pace until 2012 so releasing a new system in 2011 is slightly early than I was expecting."
    lol
    HD
    HD
    Wii
    Wii

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By brukaoru
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Not to mention that everything depends on the market, Nintendo won't put out a new system if the current one is going strong so they can't possibly have plans for 2011 already, they'll have to see hints of a shrinking market to even begin setting a date. It will also depend on the competitors. If Sony and Microsoft really go for this fabled 10 year lifetime then the Wii can certainly outdo them in sales for the duration and have no reason to get a new system out earlier. How many times have we heard of new Wii consoles by now?"
    Life span of a console does not mean that another console will not come out in that time. It means that the console will keep being produced. Just like the PS1 was produced for 10 years, and the PS2 is going to be produced for 10 years. PS3 will be in production for 10 years, that doesn't mean PS4 won't come out sooner. I really don't see Microsoft or Sony waiting 10 years to release a new console, I think that's just wishful thinking.
    BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

It's about fucking time.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Jayge said:
    You have no idea what you're talking about with that 10 year lifetime or really anything else do you. And looooool @ the DS surpassing the PSP, especially from a hardware standpoint."
    10 year life time isn't my saying. it's people's beloved Sony's saying. I never claimed it's a fact in my post, I merely explained Nintendo have no reason to put out a console earlier than the competitors, whenever the competitors happen to do that, whether that is going to be in 2011 or 2015. 2011 does seem a tad too soon considering the state of the industry. Will sony be satisfied with the install base of the PS3 and software sales by then? Will Microsoft be willing to spend the R&D required for the production (rather than just the planning as all companies plan things ahead, all the time) of a new system? Will Nintendo feel the need to go forward with this if the other two don't seem to have such plans? Again, it depends on too many things to claim they already have set plans for 2011 or even earlier than that.

As for the hardware stuff, I don't see the PSP having two screens or one touch screen, that qualifies as hardware even if it's not about how fast a cpu is you know. What I said however was that people and the media were saying Nintendo needed a traditional "more powerful" portable to compete with the PSP, even though it was already winning, and still does, proving the nay sayers oh so wrong. They were so sure that rumours of that new portable persisted prior and even long after the release of the DS, and it's yet to happen. They do the same with Wii rumours apparently.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Jayge said:
    You have no idea what you're talking about with that 10 year lifetime or really anything else do you. And looooool @ the DS surpassing the PSP, especially from a hardware standpoint."
    10 year life time isn't my saying. it's people's beloved Sony's saying. I never claimed it's a fact in my post, I merely explained Nintendo have no reason to put out a console earlier than the competitors, whenever the competitors happen to do that, whether that is going to be in 2011 or 2015. 2011 does seem a tad too soon considering the state of the industry. Will sony be satisfied with the install base of the PS3 and software sales by then? Will Microsoft be willing to spend the R&D required for the production (rather than just the planning as all companies plan things ahead, all the time) of a new system? Will Nintendo feel the need to go forward with this if the other two don't seem to have such plans? Again, it depends on too many things to claim they already have set plans for 2011 or even earlier than that.

As for the hardware stuff, I don't see the PSP having two screens or one touch screen, that qualifies as hardware even if it's not about how fast a cpu is you know. What I said however was that people and the media were saying Nintendo needed a traditional "more powerful" portable to compete with the PSP, even though it was already winning, and still does, proving the nay sayers oh so wrong. They were so sure that rumours of that new portable persisted prior and even long after the release of the DS, and it's yet to happen. They do the same with Wii rumours apparently."
    You still don't even get what the 10 year cycle is. Go read Brukaoru's post. And as to the whole "winning" thing. That's just stupid.
    John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By John

This is so not going to happen. Ninty plays it safe now, aka, simple and cheap.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By keyhunter

As far as I'm concerned if they don't release something more powerful than all the other consoles, I don't care.

Earthbounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Earthbounder
    Max_Chill said:
    "Earthbounder said:
    "Nice! I still think the Wii could keep up its pace until 2012 so releasing a new system in 2011 is slightly early than I was expecting."
    lol
    HD
    HD
    Wii
    Wii

"
    I see. You are playing pictures not games then?

The 360 and PS3 are much more powerful than the Wii and everybody is aware of that. There is no need for you to post pictures and try to show us this obvious fact!

However, all three systems have great games on their libraries. The difference is the strategy MS, Sony and Nintendo decided to use on this generation. From a business point of view the Wii can keep a good pace in terms of sales for another four years if Nintendo keeps delivering games that attract casuals, that is why I think releasing another system in 2011 may be too early!
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#19  Edited By LordAndrew
    Earthbounder said:
    As long as they keep the Wii support coming after its launch (like Sony does with their PlayStations) and don't kill it off immediately (like they did with the GameCube), 2011 seems reasonable.
    They don't have to stop making games for a system once a new system comes slong. Nintendo's last NES game was released three years after the SNES was released. If the demand for new Wii games is still there, I could see them possibly extending the Wii's lifespan.
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kohe321

By 2011 the wii will be really outdated, so it's good they make the new one by then... If this is true.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I'll expect a new console in 2013.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Arkthemaniac

@Linkyshinks, sorry, can't quote:

I severely doubt the next Nintendo console will be as powerful as the PS3. The past was much different than the now. Ever since the SNES, they have been losing money. They were caught in the same technical race that the other guys were caught in, but Nintendo had (and has) drastically less resources than Sony and Microsoft. Now that they have found a new way to make money, they will stick to it. I don't think they'll release a new console until there's a console that directly competes with the Wii, which there isn't.

Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Knives

Lets not forget guys that 2011 is a really fucking long time away. This would be news if they said 2010.

Earthbounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Earthbounder

I am pretty sure the next Nintendo system will be at least as powerful as the PS3. Until 2011 or any year after that the price of putting a console with such high specifications on the market will have reduced considerably so the price of the system won't hurt Nintendo's solid casual base that has been formed this generation.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Emilio
    Linkyshinks said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "@Linkyshinks, sorry, can't quote:

I severely doubt the next Nintendo console will be as powerful as the PS3. The past was much different than the now. Ever since the SNES, they have been losing money. They were caught in the same technical race that the other guys were caught in, but Nintendo had (and has) drastically less resources than Sony and Microsoft. Now that they have found a new way to make money, they will stick to it. I don't think they'll release a new console until there's a console that directly competes with the Wii, which there isn't."

PS3!, the next Nintendo console will definitely be more powerful than the PS3, why use the PS3 as a example?  

I disagree, I think they will attempt run both lines. They will continue to offer what they are offering now in the Wii for the casual market bringing the new expanded audience on board, using the Wii, not the Wii HD which will be no doubt aimed at a audience that appreciates 360 and PS3 currently."
    Luls... Nintendo and lack of resources... They only focus on video game software and hardware. No TVs, no stereos, no operating systems. They have GAJILLIONS of yen and ZILLIONS of extra moneys pouring into their pockets every month. The next console will be just as powerful as whatever is on the market AND it will still be affordable. The Wii is just the first step into their master death plan.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Emilio said:
    Luls... Nintendo and lack of resources... They only focus on video game software and hardware. No TVs, no stereos, no operating systems. They have GAJILLIONS of yen and ZILLIONS of extra moneys pouring into their pockets every month. The next console will be just as powerful as whatever is on the market AND it will still be affordable. The Wii is just the first step into their master death plan."
    They won't want to dip into their reserves of gold and diamonds, just yet, I think. Counting on software sales is risky, especially for Nintendo, so they're going to want to make money on every console sold.

Linkyshinks said:
    PS3!, the next Nintendo console will definitely be more powerful than the PS3, why use the PS3 as a example?  

I disagree, I think they will attempt run both lines targeting the two distinct audiences. They will continue to offer what they are offering now in the Wii for the casual market, bringing the new expanded audience on board, using the Wii, not the Wii HD. That when it arrives will be no doubt aimed at a audience that appreciates 360 and PS3 currently.
    "
    I used the PS3 as an example because I felt like it, and it seemed adequate. I really, reeeeeeeeally doubt they would make a console to cater to the "hardcore" while keeping the Wii going. "Casual" people that bought the Wii are a lot like the people who buy every iPod that comes out, I think. They want to have the latest, or at least some of them do. Will the casual gamers feel, dare I say it..........abandoned by Nintendo? AAAAAAAHA, so now this is where it lies. Nintendo really wants to keep their hold on the casuals with their next system. With Apple supposedly entering the market, they're going to want to compete like mad for the casual dollar. Until Apple enters the market, there will be no competition, and THEREFORE, there will be no Wii2, unless Apple never enters, in which case, I'll suspect a 2013-2014 release.
    Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Randolph

What happened to this chant by Nintendo fans that "true next gen" consoles are the ones that do more than just change the way the games look?  Now with a rumor that Nintendo could release a Wii HD console, which has the same core interface, but with prettier graphics, they're all jazzed up and excited for it.  What happened to "Same old games with better graphics blah blah blah"? (Please ignore that the best game on the system, Brawl, fits that bill perfectly)

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Randolph said:
    "What happened to this chant by Nintendo fans that "true next gen" consoles are the ones that do more than just change the way the games look?  Now with a rumor that Nintendo could release a Wii HD console, which has the same core interface, but with prettier graphics, they're all jazzed up and excited for it.  What happened to "Same old games with better graphics blah blah blah"? (Please ignore that the best game on the system, Brawl, fits that bill perfectly)"
    They were in denial, probably, as we all are at one point or another.
    For instance, some people still insist Too Human is a good game.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jayge_
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "They were in denial, probably, as we all are at one point or another.
    "
    Dick move, Ark. Some people like that game. And I don't think you want me to get started on *you*. So unless you're trying to start a flame war intentionally, back the fuck off.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Jayge said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "They were in denial, probably, as we all are at one point or another.
    "
    Dick move, Ark. Some people like that game. And I don't think you want me to get started on *you*. So unless you're trying to start a flame war intentionally, back the fuck off."
    I was joking, CHRIST. HERE I AM SITTING IN A TIN CAN NO ONE GETS A THING I SAY.
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By Black_Rose

Am i the only one who doesn't care about this update? O_o

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By super_machine

I sure hope they arent still using game cube hardware by then. You would think they would have to invent some more powerful hardware eventually.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jayge_
    Black_Rose said:
    "Am i the only one who doesn't care about this update? O_o"
    I couldn't give a flying shit, really XD

Arkthemaniac said:
    "I was joking, CHRIST. HERE I AM SITTING IN A TIN CAN NO ONE GETS A THING I SAY."
    I like tin cans.
    Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Player1

Cool, so now the novelty of the wii will ware off x2 slower. Because its in HD.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Randolph said:
    "What happened to this chant by Nintendo fans that "true next gen" consoles are the ones that do more than just change the way the games look?  Now with a rumor that Nintendo could release a Wii HD console, which has the same core interface, but with prettier graphics, they're all jazzed up and excited for it.  What happened to "Same old games with better graphics blah blah blah"? (Please ignore that the best game on the system, Brawl, fits that bill perfectly)"
    They're speaking of an all new system, not a facelift that will offer the same Wii games but in HD (though I'm sure backwards compatibility won't be dropped). This isn't Wii Lite, it's supposdelly the planned next generation system. As for "same old interface" I don't think we can judge what Nintendo will offer in 2011 or most likely further away than that. I'd bet they'll still offer a better motion controller, most likely even better than what MotionPlus will be offering us, perhaps a better nunchuck equivalent, etc. People who think this is just the Wii with a HD output apparently only read the topic and not much else.

Besides, how many Nintendo fanboys have you seen excited? Most things I see here are some more Wii bashing from people who already hate it claiming this is either good and will bring the Wii to the current gen (again only reading the topic title) or the likes of "finally" like it was such a much needed feature.

Besides, we'd be fools to think the motion interface has been exploited to the fullest this generation (heck, we're not even getting started with MotionPlus coming next year), do you epxect some brand new interface introduced once again? That would just show the wiimote was not a success, when it actually is.

You tend to need to stabilise on something for a while to make the most of it. Just like when the first analogue stick was introduced, first with a single stick, then later integrated to every controller with dual sticks. The first stick was a great breakthrough, the dual system was the much needed refining. Similar will likely happen with the motion driven interfaces, though it will probably take much longer to settle on a particular "best" refining solution that will be used more or less by everyone before the next big breakthrough happens.

Anyway, again this is just a baseless rumour. Some idiots were sitting doing nothing thinking things like "so, on average, how many years pass before new systems pop up?" or "so what things are usually  improved every next generation?" and came up with when and what the next Nintendo system will be like in this very vague way just so they can go all "we told you so first!" or whatever. It doesn't take a genious to assume the probability of a new Nintendo system offering better specifications and a motion driven interface, considering one of these things is what is most criticised by people thus will need to change (though I wouldn't count on any technological breakthroughs, just an efficient current gen hardware, much like the gamecube was) and the other is the aspect most heralded thus will need to remain and be refined. Calling it Wii HD was just the icing on the cake for maximum hits since they knew people would initially think they're speaking of some new Wii model that is around the corner, as if HD output would make the games so much better considering the visuals are below bar thanks to mostly other factors.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36  Edited By jakob187

I've said for a long time now that the Wii wasn't the "real" Nintendo console, but simply their way of getting the motion-sensitive control technology out there and let people play around with it, both users and developers.  Moreover, they did something that everyone thought was impossible:  they expanded the market to non-gamers by offering up games they can get into.  Meanwhile, they've been behind closed doors working on the REAL DEAL!  I mean, come on...the Gamecube's graphics were able to hold up against PS2 and Xbox while it was around.  Is it really that hard to believe that Nintendo hasn't been using the Wii as a way to force the competition to be a bit more innovative?

And seriously...if I were Nintendo and I had this sweet new technology like motion-sensitive controls, I wouldn't dump a shit load of money into the console for HD graphics and the whole nine yards, but would rather hold back on the hardware specs!!!  Why not?  It's a minimal investment, so if it flops, it's not gonna hurt that much.  Developers have never developed for something like this before, so giving them the basic tools to learn what to do means they are better suited for a high-powered system in the future.  Offering up a casual experience to non-gamers brings them in and allows them to gain some more money, as well as getting more future customers.

Nintendo...whether you believe them or not...are fucking geniuses when it comes to this industry.  GC may not have been a splash...but Nintendo knew an opportunity when they saw it, and now, it's going to end up paying off for them BIG TIME!  They've got a lead on Microsoft and Sony for the future of console controls.  They've added to the online market by offering interesting things to do that AREN'T video games (then again, I guess that's a subjective idea for the most part...I'm sure most people don't really care about the "Wii Vote" channel).  Look at M$ and Sony...throwing avatars into their console menus...M$ is fixing to have an overhaul that looks A LOT like some "channel" windows.

Either way, sorry for the wall of text.  All I'm saying is that all you people who loved Nintendo growing up hate them now, and for what?  Trying something new?  Bringing something to the consoles that needs to make them a bit fresh again?  Personally, I welcome change...and especially if it means they are getting closer to their overall goal of offering a system that can deliver killer graphics, sweet gameplay that really immerses you, and an online feature that can rival XBL.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By BiggerBomb

I won't click on the link. You're all involved in an elaborate plot to rick roll me.

Well I say no!

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Al3xand3r

Eh, how is the Wii not a "real" console even if this "Wii HD" thing is true? The Wii will have been a gigantic success and have lasted on average as long as any system lasts, so, again, even assuming the topic discussed here is 100% true, which part makes the Wii "not real" since, you know, even if it was graphically competitive with the other systems, a next generation system would have been worked on anyway, as such things always are as soon as a given system is released.

Developers learning motion controls has nothing to do with the power of the system. Developers are already efficient with that with years of PC creations and of course now the competitive to the Wii systems. Making the same games with less hardware limitations wouldn't have affected their ability to create the same fun experiences with the gameplay and controls. Believe it or not, different people work on the mechanics and different on the content you actually see on your screen so you aren't compromising the focus of the gameplay by having the content creation people work in a more free of boundaries environment.

As for Nintendo making the Wii less powerful to cut losses, do you really think they would have been so unaffected if it was a flop? They probably spent more R&D costs on the controller than the other companies did on the specifications. They'd probably go the way of Sega if they had another failed system and only remain as first parties in the handheld market.

Yeah, Nintendo do employ some geniouses, but not for the reasons you think so, and the Wii is most certainly a real system, a great risk move which paid off.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jakob187
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Eh, how is the Wii not a "real" console even if this "Wii HD" thing is true? The Wii will have been a gigantic success and have lasted on average as long as any system lasts, so, again, even assuming the topic discussed here is 100% true, which part makes the Wii "not real" since, you know, even if it was graphically competitive with the other systems, a next generation system would have been worked on anyway, as such things always are as soon as a given system is released."
    The "real" aspect of it pertains solely to the fact that Nintendo was using a low-end system as an opportunity to push the market forward and allow developers to create new ways of immersion via a change in the way a game is controlled and/or played.  Given that their unique way of controlling things in-game can be seen as "next-generation" in 2006, it's come to the obvious conclusion that most of what it put on the Wii...in terms of software...is little more than a tech demo.  Some games have been able to excel in the market, but it's easy to say (as a Wii owner myself) that the Wii is good for little more than nostalgic purposes and the occasional party game.  There have been ports of some games, such as Okami and Resident Evil 4, that I felt worked better than the previous PS2 iterations...and there have been a handful of games that I thought were pretty rad games overall.  The majority of the Wii library, however, is little more than tech demos and ways for developers to look at gameplay in a different light, try to learn how to make games that optimize the use of the controls presented to them, and they can still do all of this without having to pour the budget of a third-world country into it because the graphics are low-end compared to the current standard.
    Saying the Wii is "not a real console" is strictly saying that they can do better...we KNOW they can do better...and they apparently are going to BE doing better.  Therefore, I personally think of the Wii are more of an "experiment" than a tried-and-true "console".
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Al3xand3r

You sound like this is coming tommorow. The Wii already has many great games, some traditional, some traditional with new controls, and some fairly new altogether. Perhaps less worthy games than the other two systems (but probably more exclusives) but it was still released quite a bit later than at least the 360. The other systems took a while to jump start also, the PS3 only recently started being a system worth caring for with the likes of MGS4 and the 360 did that with the likes of Gears of War with not much notable prior to that. Considering the many third party Wii titles which are more than "tech demos" (you call them that, but really they were casual cash ins by the companies, not tech demos by Nintendo to think what you say is true) coming these months and especially next year, you couldn't be further from the truth. Cash ins like that will keep being made for as long as they sell, expect to see many on the next gen Nintendo systems.

Again, even if this bullshit article is 100% true, the Wii by that time will have lasted on average as long as any system and will have offered a library of worthy titles that won't look bad compared to past Nintendo systems (and most likely even MUCH better if they keep this up considering some of the major franschises and new IPs coming) making this as real a console as any other.

I probably shoudln't have replied again anyway, nothing you say wasn't addressed by my last post.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By Dalai

I'm still not convinced by this rumor.  It's not that Nintendo will release a new HD console in 2011, which is entirely possible because of past history, it's the timing.  Why announce it now instead of sometime next year?  It's way too early for anybody to be announcing new consoles when we're still fairly early in this console cycle.

i'm predicting this so-called Wii HD to be announced in summer 2009... at E3 if there is one next year.  Now is not the time.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jakob187

Most consoles go for five years before a new one is released.  By 2011, Nintendo's Wii will have lasted that long.  So yes, Alex...you can say that it will make a typical generational cycle before the next generation actually comes out.  The console was released later than the 360, just as the PS3 was released later than both...if I remember correctly.  None of that means anything except that Nintendo figured out how to ride a console based on theory, which is quite an accomplishment indeed.

However, to say:
    "Considering the many third party Wii titles which are more than "tech demos" (you call them that, but really they were casual cash ins by the companies, not tech demos by Nintendo to think what you say is true) coming these months and especially next year, you couldn't be further from the truth"...

...that sounds like pure and unadulterated denial.  Ask anyone from GameSpot how hard I supported Nintendo and the Wii, defended it at every turn, and I drove 65 miles out of my hometown to pick one up on day one.  Right now...it's sitting on the floor...with a dead fan...that Nintendo won't replace.  To top it off, the majority of the games on the system...are tech demos.  The number 1 selling game for the system is Wii Play, for crying out loud!!!  You think that's because of the game?  lol  No, and can you honestly tell me "oh, well, it's a worthwhile title"?  I played it for about 20 minutes, then moved on.  I pick it up ON OCCASION when I'm not playing PC or 360.  Other than that, I own a total of 7 games for the system.  Maybe that's just my picky standards...

...but if you wanna go by picky standards...I own 5 Xbox 360 games...and no 360.  o_o  And those games were so I had something to play because my Wii don't cut it....and one of those games is Warriors Orochi...and I enjoy playing THAT more than most of my Wii games.

Therefore, given that I actually spent a lot of time RENTING games for the Wii instead of BUYING games for the Wii, and constantly ended up being disappointed because of the TECH DEMOS I was renting rather than GAMES (and for the record, my brother worked at Blockbuster until a couple months back, so that was all free rentals...thankfully, I wasn't wasting money on 95% of those games)...I think I would call myself a pretty good judge and say:

Yes.  The Wii is a crazy and cool little console...populated by too many tech demos and not enough GAMES!

With that said, it's not going to discourage me from grabbing their next console on day 1, just like I have done with every Nintendo console.  Am I a Nintendo fanboy?  I'd like to think not, as there are a ton of things I like about the 360 as well.  The PS3...well...umm...it keep papers from blowing away, right?

Therefore, I'm hoping that this article is NOT 100% bullshit.  I'm sure they are working on developing SOMETHING as a successor, because 2011 is right around the corner, whether you realize it or not.  Hell, work on the "Revolution" was reported on and announced 2-3 years before the console actually came out.  It's perfectly believeable that Nintendo would announce that they are working on a new console.  Does it mean it's coming out tomorrow?  NO!  It does mean that they can start talking about it though.  Force the hands of the competition to step up their game and offer something, and all the while, it allows Nintendo to continue expanding their footprint.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Al3xand3r

Having a peculiar taste in games and being oblivious to upcoming games of 2009 (and from the sounds of it, the current Wii library also), thus wanting the console to be dead for this Wii HD to arrive "already" or whatever, doesn't make your statements factual. Your fanboy history does nothing to change any of this either. Nor does the current placement of your Wii. Who the fuck cares about those things? Your personal opinion isn't fact and projecting your disappointment and hopes as an industy and market fact does nothing to help your points.

As for the amount of shovelware "tech demos" try looking up the total number of PS1 and/or PS2 titles which ranked in the thousands and figure out the ratio of the good titles with that. You'll come to the conclusion that a lot of shovelware comes to the most popular systems and that this doesn't affect their status or the quality and number of the good titles which come to them. Apply that newfound knowledge to the Wii.

And yes, Nintendo are working on developing a successor. So is every other company. Again, work on such things begins as soon as a given system gets out the door, to what extent is what matters more than if it's done at all or not. That's why this article is stupid, because it tells us nothing you can't base on 2 minutes of thinking. Gee, a successor is being developed. Gee, consoles usually last this long, Gee, consoles usually have a leap in visual quality, Nintendo skipped that once already, can they afford to do it once more? Probably not. Gee, their motion controls worked so good for them this time, would they want to ditch them? Probably not. Let's post an article about how a more powerful Nintendo system is coming in 2011 with a similar motion driven interface to the current Wii. Let's call it Wii HD for added hits and call it a day.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jakob187
    *ugh*  Fine, we'll play a "quote by quote" debate, if you must:

Al3xand3r
    said:
    "Besides, how many Nintendo fanboys have you seen excited? Most things I see here are some more Wii bashing from people who already hate it claiming this is either good and will bring the Wii to the current gen (again only reading the topic title) or the likes of "finally" like it was such a much needed feature."
    Sorry for offering the point of view from someone who actually LIKES the console but is unimpressed with what has been put on it?  =  /
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Besides, we'd be fools to think the motion interface has been exploited to the fullest this generation (heck, we're not even getting started with MotionPlus coming next year), do you epxect some brand new interface introduced once again? That would just show the wiimote was not a success, when it actually is."
    Interesting word to choose, because the motion interface has DEFINITELY been "exploited"...especially by third-parties that have seen the Wii as nothing but a low-development-budget gimmick to make some quick cash from.  I'm not a fool, because I CAN see that.  And do you seriously think that MotionPlus is going to make the games BETTER?  Maybe some of them, but I doubt I need any more pinpoint precision for Carnival Games.  =  /

Al3xand3r said:
    "Anyway, again this is just a baseless rumor. Some idiots were sitting doing nothing thinking things like "so, on average, how many years pass before new systems pop up?" or "so what things are usually  improved every next generation?" and came up with when and what the next Nintendo system will be like in this very vague way just so they can go all "we told you so first!" or whatever. It doesn't take a genious to assume the probability of a new Nintendo system offering better specifications and a motion driven interface, considering one of these things is what is most criticised by people thus will need to change (though I wouldn't count on any technological breakthroughs, just an efficient current gen hardware, much like the gamecube was) and the other is the aspect most heralded thus will need to remain and be refined. Calling it Wii HD was just the icing on the cake for maximum hits since they knew people would initially think they're speaking of some new Wii model that is around the corner, as if HD output would make the games so much better considering the visuals are below bar thanks to mostly other factors."
    Bold #1:  It is in fact a baseless rumor, but so are most rumors until someone ends up confirming them as being true, and with the way info travels nowadays, you can easily hold merit to anything nowadays until it is flatly denied.

Bold #2:  That would very well be, but I remember when everyone started talking about the Revolution controller...2 years before the console even came out...and the console was announced 3 years before it came out...and all of those news stories were rumors at one point also.

Bold #3:  Nintendo just brought motion-sensitive controls to the market.  You aren't counting on any technological breakthroughs?  o.O

Bold #4:  Whether it was around the corner or not, it it something that is of interest, and the number of hits on that page alone should end up showing just how many people want HD with their Wii...and how much graphics DO matter to them...and especially after living with the Wii alongside the 360 and PS3...and constantly being dogged.

The wimpy kid at school can only take so much from the bullies before he hits back, and when he does hit back, people don't fuck with him again.  But what does my personal opinion know about that, eh?  I mean, I guess I could mention Sony and Microsoft's initial battle with PS2 and Xbox...and then...360 and PS3.  Notice the order of those...in a lot of ways other than how I worded it.

Simply put...this being a "baseless rumor" is a crazier idea than this being a "rumor that could potentially be confirmed".
    ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45  Edited By ArcBorealis

I'm not sure if you guys are familiar with Sean Malstrom, but he says that Nintendo isn't simply gonna release a Wii2, and that Nintendo would have to "destroy the wii before it destroys nintendo." It's somehow supposed to fit into the Blue Ocean and Disruption strategies, not fully sure how.

No, he isn't a viral marketer for the company, he's just a video game analyst, except, NOT lazy.

Got not much to say on this rumor, anyways.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Alaska_Gamer said:
    "I'm not sure if you guys are familiar with Sean Malstrom, but he says that Nintendo isn't simply gonna release a Wii2, and that Nintendo would have to "destroy the wii before it destroys nintendo." It's somehow supposed to fit into the Blue Ocean and Disruption strategies, not fully sure how.

No, he isn't a viral marketer for the company, he's just a video game analyst, except, NOT lazy.

Got not much to say on this rumor, anyways."
    Malstrom's Wii stuff are all great reads. They really show how indepth the Wii's success is, as well as giving reasons as to why Microsoft and Sony might be teh screwed. Also, it can explain why I feel that Nintendo's console won't be as high-powered as the PS4 or Xbox Teabagomatic or whatever they end up calling it.
    Simply put, there's no need to.
    Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*shudders in fear at what the wall of text that is now his thread has turned into*

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Al3xand3r

Eh, you know, those companies keep making shovelware and "tech demos" not because they consider them "tech demos" but because they're selling and they can enjoy the money, and perhaps fund more serious projects with them (or just stick with the profit part like Ubisoft, ha). Just because you consider them tech demos doesn't mean they do also. It's not like shovelware ever stops being developed for any system, it's not just if a developer knows the system well enough yet or not, it's what they want to do with it now that they do know how it works. The Wiimote isn't that much of a novelty as FPS games show, it can be used similar (but not quite) to a mouse, while we've all seen more than enough examples of waggling to think they're still making tech demos because they don't know how it works. Even a first time developer like The Conduit's team can at least get the controls right by being careful (don't know what else they have right yet), why do you think it's so hard to consider the Wii's control schemes in order to require a full generation of tech demos and a "not real" console.

Calling Nintendo the wimpy kid at school that keeps getting bullied is a little silly, they've already hit back you know, even if "OMG I'M SO HARDCORE" gamers want to bash it every chance they get or talk about how disappointed they are, Nintendo is enjoying all the mighty dollars and other currencies they're bathing in thanks to the Wii. Do you really think they're sitting around sad and desiring a change because internet forums like this buzz with such bashing?

And no, I have no problem with stating your opinion and disappointment with the Wii, still, projecting your personal preferences as market facts (applying to all or a lot or most of the Wii owners) isn't helping anyone and you're only preparing for more disapointments. But hey, by all means,  keep dreaming.

As for bold #3, you know I was talking about specs like CPU, GPU, etc at that part so why pretend you didn't?

Bartiemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By Bartiemus

If it were true id be glad i didn't by a wii yes im one of the five people who dosent have one lol.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Al3xand3r

Read the article, it speaks of a next gen system. There will be one (when is debatable). There will also be a next xbox. And a next PS. And a next portable from either company. Does that mean only people who don't ever buy anything at all are lucky since new stuff are introduced every few years anyway?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.