New Wii peripheral claims to upscale games to 1080p

#1 Edited by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

This story was reported a couple days ago by thetanooki.com.
I'm not tech-savvy enough to know what this all means, but:

Specs

* Input: Wii AV Connector x 1, USB Type A Plug x 1.
* Output: HDMI x1 , 3.5mm Stereo Audio Jack.
* Video In Supported: EDTV(480i/576i), SDTV(480p/576p)
* Video Out Supported : 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, 1280×1024, 1440×900, 1650×1050 (at refresh rate 59.94Hz)
* Audio Out: HDMI audio, Analog audio.
* Bi-Color LED: Blue and Red.
* Operating Temperature: 5°C to 60°C (41°F to 140°F)
* Dimensions (approximate): 12cm (L) x 7cm (W) x 2.5cm (H)
* Mass (approximate): ~180g

Powerful Video Signal conversion

* Crystal shape image, Outstanding picture quality.
* Full HD (1080p) output.
* True 10-Bits high definition video scaler engine.
* AV grade scaler engine

User Friendly

* No external power required.
* Easy to setup.
* LED status indication.

Wide Range Video Display support

* Support TV (HDMI) and PC Monitor (DVI).
* HDMI-Audio and Analog audio out.
* Various HDTV video out.
* Native resolution for LCD monitor.

Apparently it will be for sale tomorrow for the price of $75. The company website is here.

480p
 1080p
#2 Posted by Pazy (2563 posts) -

I read about this on IGN a few days ago but it cant be "true" HD in the sense that the output is still 480p (or whatever it currently is) its just hardware scaled to 1080p so it will (hopefully) look better than your TV scaler but it wont look as good as the "real" Wii HD or running the Dolphin Emulator on PC.

#3 Posted by Sanj (2364 posts) -

Hogwash. bullhockey and poppycock.

#4 Posted by RJPelonia (855 posts) -

Interesting. I'd rather see screens and videos of games through this though. Well, only time will tell.

#5 Posted by Daniel_Newton (1166 posts) -

I'm not a massive fan of upscaling, it may look a little better but it's not anywhere near true 1080p. Only PC games and a handful of console games can actually output in true 1080.

I'd have to see comparison images to decide if it's worth it or not, but I wouldn't get too excited about it.

#6 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Well if it looks better than my current 480p component set-up then I'll give it a whirl.  75 bones is pretty steep, though.

#7 Posted by MikkaQ (10276 posts) -

It'll upscale as well (or worse) than any HD AV receiver, or upscaling DVD player. An upscaled DVD DOES look better, but a blu-ray it does not make.  

If the signal is natively SD, then upscaling won't do anything super special. Also even if you have a magic machine that makes the wii's native video output 1080p, and you got the games reprogrammed to render as such... it's not like the textures and models in the games are up to the job.

#8 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -

It's a dongle.

#9 Posted by Willy105 (4689 posts) -

It's a scam.

You are paying $75 for something your TV already does automatically.

#10 Posted by Tactical_Kill (1695 posts) -

$75 seems kinda high. I wouldn't buy it untill there are screen shots or something. For all we know it could make a very tiny improvement or it could be a major improvement.

#11 Posted by Daniel_Newton (1166 posts) -

Just went on the site and saw the comparison screenshots, the difference is almost as tiny as the difference between a 360 using component and one using HDMI. Not worth the hassle or the $75.

#12 Posted by AjayRaz (12422 posts) -

like everyone else said it wouldn't be in true 1080p and plus it wouldn't be much of an improvement. i'll wait for screens though 

#13 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -
#14 Posted by AjayRaz (12422 posts) -
#15 Posted by Willy105 (4689 posts) -
#16 Posted by ParanoidFreak (1461 posts) -

The 1080p picture actually looks worse to me, the colors are all washed out.

#17 Posted by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -

I call bullshit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.