Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Nintendo Passed on Natal (Rumour)

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

According to CVG's Nintendo HQ insider, Nintendo's president Satoru Iwata was shown the Natal technology back in 2007, and that he decided to pass on it.

This from CVG

Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata was offered the chance to sign up the device that became Project Natal - but turned it down as he didn't believe he could launch it at a mass-market price.

That's according to a top insider (and we mean top insider) at the platform holder's Japan HQ, who told us that Israel firm 3DV Systems showed an early demo of the technology to Iwata and other Nintendo bigwigs at the end of 2007.

Despite being impressed with the prototype, Iwata was reportedly unsold on it as a peripheral for Wii - leaving the door open for Microsoft to snap up the tech and its creator a year later.

"Iwata-san only ever invests in something he can guarantee will work for a Nintendo audience," the exec told us. 

"3DV showed off a camera that detected motion in 3D, and had voice recognition - but Iwata-San was unconvinced he could sell it at a Nintendo price point. He also had some worries around latency during gameplay."

The new information appears to confirm 3DV's involvement in the creation of Natal, which Microsoft has never certified.

"Honestly - I've heard Iwata describe the prototype he saw at length, and it's definitely Natal," added CVG's source. 

"What we witnessed at E3 was smaller and the facial [reading] stuff had improved, but it's the same technology. We remain unconvinced Natal will deliver on the more sophisticated elements of what Microsoft is promising at the price they're aiming for."

Microsoft will no doubt internally disagree with the claims. MS has dubbed Natal a'new console' in itself. The hardware is set to launch late this year, with an expected price point of around £50.

Iwata's alleged belief that the device would be too expensive fits with recent reports that Microsoft removed a chip from Natal to save on R&D costs, whilst some prominent development figures have also questioned whether Natal will have potential latency issues.

Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto has previously admitted: "This type of motion-sensing camera technology has been around for quite a while. [We've] ultimately made the decision not to take advantage of what they can do."

Unsurprisingly, both Nintendo UK and Microsoft would not offer us a comment on the "speculation". (Trust us, it ain't).

source:  http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=232754
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

Didn't Sony also pass on it?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64

Nintendo doesn't need it since Wiis are still selling like hot cakes for their motion controller.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Emilio

Read this yesterday. 

There are two thing that I do not believe in: 

1. Natal
    2. Apple's iPad/Touch games
    Why? Because they don't have any buttons. You need buttons. Games themselves need buttons. So far, everything I have seen on the iPhone has been dull. Nothing really catches your eye. The "games" so far seem like nothing but time wasters. Nothing on there is a real "traditional" game. With no buttons, you can't get precise controls. So far everything that they're selling is an artsy app or flash game you've played countless times. The only really interesting game they've had on there thus far is Chinatown Wars, which is just a port of a DS/PSP game.

Same with Natal. I havn't seen anything for it but the tech demos. And the tech demos so far are also dull. Natal is destined to fail unless Microsoft can get more traditional games to actually support it. Halo won't work on Natal. Banjo won't work on Natal. MAYBE an RTS. MAYBE and RPG, but nothing else. I feel like Natal will end up like the EyeToy, and currently the PlayStation Eye. 

but that's just me...
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5  Edited By Cube

Nintendo is pretty smart for doing that. Natal has not proven itself at all.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Cube said:
    " Nintendo is pretty smart for doing that. Natal has not proven itself at all. "

It hasn't even been released yet, how can it?.   

What was seen by Iwata back in 2007 may well have come on a long way since then, what with the rapid advances in technology in this area, and the cost of components dropping in the years that have passed.  
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7  Edited By Cube
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Cube said:
    " Nintendo is pretty smart for doing that. Natal has not proven itself at all. "
     It hasn't even been released yet, how can it?.    What was seen by Iwata back in 2007 may well have come on a long way since then, what with the rapid advances in technology in this area, and the cost of components dropping in the years that have passed.   "
    Uh, by showing a live tech demo, similar to The PS Arc? Showing how it can be applied to certain genres?

Yeah, kind of like that.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Cube said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Cube said:
     It hasn't even been released yet, how can it?.    What was seen by Iwata back in 2007 may well have come on a long way since then, what with the rapid advances in technology in this area, and the cost of components dropping in the years that have passed.   "
    Uh, by showing a live tech demo, similar to The PS Arc? Showing how it can be applied to certain genres?  Yeah, kind of like that. "

So your talking about not having proved itself to the audience, the PS3's motion controller has yet to do that alsoThe technology will prove itself in the market, by how users respond to it's software, not by a tech demo shown at any trade show. 

It's already been shown to notable developers, who are said to be already developing games for it using Microsoft's Natal development kits. I think the quality of the developers working on such games will show in the software that will be available for it eventually. We're not talking about B and C string development teams working on Wii games here. 
    Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Turtlemayor333

Nintendo always says this. What was the quote from Miyamoto? "I could have made Halo" back when it was selling however many million copies? I'm pretty sure there are plenty of good developers that could have made Wii Sports too but you don't see them talking.

My question is: Who cares? The only thing they even seem to be saying in the article is that it was "too expensive" for their "vision."

coonana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By coonana
    @Emilio said:
    "Read this yesterday. 

There are two thing that I do not believe in: 
    1. Natal
    2. Apple's iPad/Touch games
    Why? Because they don't have any buttons. You need buttons. Games themselves need buttons. So far, everything I have seen on the iPhone has been dull. Nothing really catches your eye. The "games" so far seem like nothing but time wasters. Nothing on there is a real "traditional" game. With no buttons, you can't get precise controls. So far everything that they're selling is an artsy app or flash game you've played countless times. The only really interesting game they've had on there thus far is Chinatown Wars, which is just a port of a DS/PSP game.
     Same with Natal. I havn't seen anything for it but the tech demos. And the tech demos so far are also dull. Natal is destined to fail unless Microsoft can get more traditional games to actually support it. Halo won't work on Natal. Banjo won't work on Natal. MAYBE an RTS. MAYBE and RPG, but nothing else. I feel like Natal will end up like the EyeToy, and currently the PlayStation Eye.  but that's just me... "

But how do you get fleshed out games, more important than "traditional games", to play with Natal. Any gameplay you have with Natal either has to be a racing game or the concept need to be limited to about 5 steps of movement space. You cannot move long distances therefore you destroy 90% of game concepts. On top of that Natal probably will not have its own processing chip so all thats calculations and motion processing will go through the Xbox 360's processor completely killing the potential of any NATAL game.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @coonana: 

That's more than enough space to provide enjoyable movement.  You think the wii remote's movements aren't telegraphed or scaled to play dimensions?  Get real.
    coonana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By coonana

No I mean with Natal you have no control over movement. You cannot play Fable with just Natal, you cannot move you character and a living room or even a football field would not be enough. You need a controlinput to constantly move thousands of in game miles. You need an Xbox controller. With Wii you have motions and you have buttons and analog sticks. You need them all.  

Also Natal takes away 15% of processing power. That really sucks.

Haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Haziqonfire
    Good. 

Hands free gaming = not my thing. I need some physical feedback. Also the pointer is the best thing about the Wii remote, honestly. I absolutely love how its integrated in some games, specifically the Prime Trilogy. 
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By rjayb89
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho

Natal is pretty stupid. Sony made the smarter call just copying the Wiimote.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Systech

They don't need it. That's why.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.