Nintendo: Sony and Microsoft are Embarrassing Themselves

• 93 results
#1 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

Actually, the real quote on Kotaku from Nintendo of America's president was: 

I think a hallmark of Nintendo is that we are constantly trying to innovate.  I think we would have been embarrassed to do what our competitors are currently doing. 

I just thought it was funny that he would say that.  And it's been said a thousand times now, but motion controllers aren't a big deal anyway.  It's mostly just used for Wii Sports.
#2 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

Oh, this was already posted in the  Reggie Fils-Aime forum.  Why didn't I think to look there?
#3 Posted by guiseppe (2833 posts) -

Yeah, all those great games that Wii doesn't have are such an embarrasment, they should be ashamed!

#4 Posted by carlthenimrod (1579 posts) -

Friend codes are sooo innovating... thanks Nintendo!

#5 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

You mean "innovative"?
#6 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

I think Fils-Aime makes a good point though about embarrassment.  Motion controllers aren't a big deal.  They're used in so few games.  Sony and Microsoft could've just saved themselves the embarrassment and continued to make better games with better graphics than the Wii.
#7 Posted by DCFGS3 (1054 posts) -

I dunno, I think it's good the heavy weights are pushing into motion controls. It means that we move one step closer to a more realistic and interactive gaming experience in real games. Nintendo really just caters to the young family people, which is fine, but at the same time I would like to see what the real game consoles can do with motion technology. In all likelihood both Move and Natal will flop. But it's a step, and maybe next gen, they won't flop, and the gen after that it'll be standard gaming.

#8 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -
@DCFGS3 said:
" I dunno, I think it's good the heavy weights are pushing into motion controls. It means that we move one step closer to a more realistic and interactive gaming experience in real games. Nintendo really just caters to the young family people, which is fine, but at the same time I would like to see what the real game consoles can do with motion technology. In all likelihood both Move and Natal will flop. But it's a step, and maybe next gen, they won't flop, and the gen after that it'll be standard gaming. "
If next gen is all motion controls I'm gonna have to find a new hobby.  It's not more realistic, it's a gimmick that takes you out of the experience, because you always have to pay so much attention to what movement you are supposed to be doing.  I want to relax on my couch when I play a game, I don't want to jump around and fling my arms like an idiot.
#9 Posted by Woffls (127 posts) -

Of course they should be embarrassed. They both spent 3 years dissing motion control, now it's their main focus for moving forward while Nintendo is thinking up something new. It doesn't matter where the games have been, the point is how Sony and Microsoft have backtracked entirely on their stance on motion control. We're presumably excluding Sixaxis from this given that it was a half-arsed attempt at nothing and may as well not exist?

#10 Posted by Wess (89 posts) -
@DCFGS3 said:
" Nintendo really just caters to the young family people, which is fine, but at the same time I would like to see what the real game consoles can do with motion technology."
Holy crap, all this time I was thinking the Wii was a real game console, little did I know it was actually a big hard piece of tofu.  Thanks for the insight.
#11 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
@Woffls said:
" Of course they should be embarrassed. They both spent 3 years dissing motion control, now it's their main focus for moving forward while Nintendo is thinking up something new. It doesn't matter where the games have been, the point is how Sony and Microsoft have backtracked entirely on their stance on motion control. We're presumably excluding Sixaxis from this given that it was a half-arsed attempt at nothing and may as well not exist? "
We have a win.rar! 

You, sir, win a box of your favorite sweets.
#12 Posted by Tebbit (4435 posts) -
@Emilio said:
" @Woffls said:
" Of course they should be embarrassed. They both spent 3 years dissing motion control, now it's their main focus for moving forward while Nintendo is thinking up something new. It doesn't matter where the games have been, the point is how Sony and Microsoft have backtracked entirely on their stance on motion control. We're presumably excluding Sixaxis from this given that it was a half-arsed attempt at nothing and may as well not exist? "
We have a win.rar!   You, sir, win a box of your favorite sweets. "
If he gets gummy snakes, can I have one?
#13 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
@Tebbit said:
" @Emilio said:
" @Woffls said:
If he gets gummy snakes, can I have one? "
Only if he is willing to share his prize.
#14 Posted by carlthenimrod (1579 posts) -

@insouciant said:

" You mean "innovative"? "

However you want to say it, the Wii's online functionality is complete garbage. Nintendo should be trying to imitate its competitors in that space and stop with the friend codes/WiiSpeak nonsense. I'm all for the 3 console manufacturers ripping each other off if it makes for a better experience for me.
#15 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

Nintendo thinks they are innovating..... PPPFFFFTTT HAHAHAHAA!! 

nice one, you got me there for a second.

#16 Posted by Kazona (3055 posts) -
@Emilio said:
" @Woffls said:
You mean like Nintendo saying that online gaming has no future, and spent an entire console generation dissing the whole notion of online multiplayer? I'm sorry, but for Reggie to say Microsoft and Sony should be embarresed is pretty laughable considering that they are the masters of backtracking on their claims.
#17 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19158 posts) -

You know, I'll take whatever's fun.  If it involves motion control and it's fun, I don't care about needing to move my arms a little.

#18 Posted by Gruff182 (847 posts) -

Nintendo doesn't innovate. They take one step forward and two steps back.

#19 Edited by Woffls (127 posts) -
@Kazona: When did they say on-line gaming has no future? Perhaps they said it in the context of the Wii experience and local multi-player still being more important than most people give it credit for. 

Nintendo have no reason to feel embarrassed - note the connotations specific to this word, and not those associated with 'inferior', for example - they did exactly what they set out to do with no mistakes and no regrets aside from perhaps being unprepared for its success. What we think about their approach to games is irrelevant, and this isn't the first time Nintendo's opposition has.. uhh... fallen in line, shall we say. 

And yes, I am more than willing to share gummy snakes.  
NOMNOM
#20 Posted by Kazona (3055 posts) -
@Woffls:  During the entire Gamecube era.
#21 Posted by Jeffsekai (7017 posts) -

Oh nintendo.

#22 Posted by Woffls (127 posts) -

Oh, I didn't know we were talking about a million years ago. I wasn't paying enough attention back then to comment.

#23 Posted by Soap (3530 posts) -

I think if anyone is going to come out of this looking stupid it's Nintendo, Sony seem to be making a motion controller that actually works and Natal looks intresting to (still want to see more though)

#24 Posted by yakov456 (1873 posts) -

It's pretty embarrassing, to have great games PLUS motion control if you CHOOSE to buy those games that use it. Shame on you MS and Sony, shame.

#25 Posted by OmegaPirate (5518 posts) -

well they would say that seeing as sony's tech actually beats theirs hands down - jury is still out on microsoft - and if motion control is not that big of a deal then you just made me realise why i still dont have a wii! 

Cheers nintendo!

#26 Posted by Andorski (5111 posts) -

This is not embarrassing...
#27 Posted by MikkaQ (10225 posts) -

Because improving technology TOTALLY isn't innovation, right Nintendo?

#28 Posted by Hailinel (22720 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" Because improving technology TOTALLY isn't innovation, right Nintendo? "
When you spend three years portraying the attitude of "HERP DERP WAGGLEAGGLEAGGLE LOLLOLOLZ!111" toward motion control, only to double back and make it a new focus when the console you've been mocking is kicking your ass in sales, it's going to be at least a little embarrassing when that crow is served up.
#29 Posted by Muttinus_Rump (814 posts) -
@Whisperkill said:
" Nintendo thinks they are innovating..... PPPFFFFTTT HAHAHAHAA!!  nice one, you got me there for a second. "
They are...
#30 Edited by Jeust (10343 posts) -

I don't think Microsoft shouldn't feel ashamed as they aren't copying Nintendo. They are trying something new. Now Sony on the other hand...  

This is not a flamebait.

#31 Edited by MikkaQ (10225 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

" @XII_Sniper said:

When you spend three years portraying the attitude of "HERP DERP WAGGLEAGGLEAGGLE LOLLOLOLZ!111" toward motion control, only to double back and make it a new focus when the console you've been mocking is kicking your ass in sales, it's going to be at least a little embarrassing when that crow is served up. "

Sure but at least they have the balls to step up to the plate. Now it's Nintendo's turn to be a man, go back, and fix their shitty online services, and admit that yes, actually 40%+ of america owns an HDTV, and would like to use it. They also might want to try to get people to buy software that isn't bundled with their console. I know I haven't. I've rented just about every wii game I've played. Just saying.  Every console maker has something they need to hang their head in shame over. 
#32 Posted by SuperSecretAgenda (696 posts) -
@Whisperkill said:
" Nintendo thinks they are innovating..... PPPFFFFTTT HAHAHAHAA!!  nice one, you got me there for a second. "
Says the Microsoft fanboy.
#33 Posted by Jeust (10343 posts) -
@dcpc10 said:
" @Jeust said:

" I don't think Microsoft shouldn't feel ashamed as they aren't copying Nintendo. They are trying something new. Now Sony on the other hand...   This is not a flamebait. "

You could say Microsoft copied Sony since natal is similar to the eyetoy. It doesn't matter who copied who, in the game industry we call it ''inspiration'' :P "
Yep, you got me there, but considering the sense of the Nintendo's statement, i think not. And Natal is a much broader technology than the Eye Toy, even because if it weren't i don't think Sony would invest in the Move.
#34 Posted by Hailinel (22720 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @XII_Sniper said:

When you spend three years portraying the attitude of "HERP DERP WAGGLEAGGLEAGGLE LOLLOLOLZ!111" toward motion control, only to double back and make it a new focus when the console you've been mocking is kicking your ass in sales, it's going to be at least a little embarrassing when that crow is served up. "
 Sure but at least they have the balls to step up to the plate. Now it's Nintendo's turn to be a man, go back, and fix their shitty online services, and admit that yes, actually 40%+ of america owns an HDTV, and would like to use it. They also might want to try to get people to buy software that isn't bundled with their console. I know I haven't. I've rented just about every wii game I've played. Just saying.  Every console maker has something they need to hang their head in shame over.  "
Nintendo's online service doesn't need "fixing" because it isn't broken.  It's far from ideal, yes, and I would love to see it upgraded to something at least equal to the PSN, but it lets me connect online, and games that are coded well actually have good online response times.  That being said, I'm not sure what your point about you renting Wii games has to do with anything.  If we're going by personal experience, my Wii game collection currently dwarfs my PS3 game collection.  I'm not foolish enough to use that as statistical evidence that all Wii/PS3 owners buy more Wii games than PS3 games, though.

As far as statistics go, though, 40% is still less than half, and that number is only counting Americans.
#35 Posted by JoelTGM (5592 posts) -
@Muttinus_Rump said:
" @Whisperkill said:
They are... "
No they are sitting comfortably selling Mario and tennis games to casual and non-gamers.
#36 Posted by Muttinus_Rump (814 posts) -
@DOUBLESHOCK said:
" @Muttinus_Rump said:
" @Whisperkill said:
They are... "
No they are sitting comfortably selling Mario and tennis games to casual and non-gamers. "
They went full on with motion controls, we laughed at them. And then they brought gaming to a wider audience than ever before.

Innovation.
#37 Posted by RebornFrom8Bit (10 posts) -

It seems as if there innovating for a degree of gamers the majority don't care like us, that's why people seem to tittle the "innovation" Nintendo is doing isn't going to make such a radical change what if Mario galaxy didn't have motion sensing or brawl would it be less Unique hell no! Come on just make a HD Gamecube with pikmin 3 and you got yourself a seller -.-. let alone my opinion, regardless what they do motion controls have already affected the industry enough so from a controller to absolutely none while talking to an imaginary friend (natal) As long as they get there money i think that's the formula there gonna stick with no doubt about it.

#38 Posted by AndrewB (7194 posts) -

Nintentdo may have innovated, but that doesn't mean that other implementations of similar technology such as Natal aren't also innovative. From what I hear, Sony's solution seems to work better than the Wii's implementation, but then they also have the benefit of several years of hardware improvements and hindsight to help guide them.

But of course they're going to say that. They're defending their company's image.

#39 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -
@Muttinus_Rump said:
" @DOUBLESHOCK said:
" @Muttinus_Rump said:
" @Whisperkill said:
They are... "
No they are sitting comfortably selling Mario and tennis games to casual and non-gamers. "
They went full on with motion controls, we laughed at them. And then they brought gaming to a wider audience than ever before.  Innovation. "
A wider audience that could care less about a game without a piece of shit gimmick or mario.  All these causal people don't think of the Wii as a gaming machine, they think of it as a toy, nothing more. If you don't think that at least half of the people who bought a wii haven't bought more than 3 games for it, then you need to get your head out of your ass.

@SuperSecretAgenda
said:
" @Whisperkill said:
Says the Microsoft fanboy. "
Yeah far from one, If it weren't for the Wii, my name would be red. I don't give half a fucking shit about any kind of company that produces consoles.
#40 Posted by JoelTGM (5592 posts) -
@Muttinus_Rump said:
" @DOUBLESHOCK said:
" @Muttinus_Rump said:
" @Whisperkill said:
They are... "
They went full on with motion controls, we laughed at them. And then they brought gaming to a wider audience than ever before.  Innovation. "
Sure, but that happened a while ago.  Right now they are just sitting comfortably, taking no risks, while trying to discourage their competitors from innovating on that technology.
#41 Posted by Hailinel (22720 posts) -
@DOUBLESHOCK said:
" @Muttinus_Rump said:
" @DOUBLESHOCK said:
" @Muttinus_Rump said:
" @Whisperkill said:
They are... "
Sure, but that happened a while ago.  Right now they are just sitting comfortably, taking no risks, while trying to discourage their competitors from innovating on that technology. "
You act as though you're perfectly aware of what Nintendo has in R&D right now.  It would be foolish to assume that the company is resting on their laurels when they're busy investigating how to proceed next.
#42 Posted by Muttinus_Rump (814 posts) -
@DOUBLESHOCK: Oh ok I agree with you there. I shall correct myself: They were...

@Whisperkill: I don't see how that has to do with innovation.
#43 Posted by Dalai (6881 posts) -
@DOUBLESHOCK said:
" @Muttinus_Rump said:
" @DOUBLESHOCK said:
" @Muttinus_Rump said:
" @Whisperkill said:
They are... "
Sure, but that happened a while ago.  Right now they are just sitting comfortably, taking no risks, while trying to discourage their competitors from innovating on that technology. "
We'll see when they release their next console. If they just release WiiHD with better online, that's being lazy. If they go in some wacky direction like controlling games with your brain, then you've got your innovation.
#44 Edited by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -
@Muttinus_Rump said:

" @DOUBLESHOCK: Oh ok I agree with you there. I shall correct myself: They were...

@Whisperkill: I don't see how that has to do with innovation. "

It has nothing to do with it, which is my point. Suckering a bunch of confused and stupid consumers into buying a product that they will barely ever use is not innovating.
#45 Posted by Muttinus_Rump (814 posts) -
@Whisperkill said:
" @Muttinus_Rump said:

" @DOUBLESHOCK: Oh ok I agree with you there. I shall correct myself: They were...

It has nothing to do with it, which is my point. Suckering a bunch of confused and stupid consumers into buying a product that they will barely ever use is not innovating. "
But creating the first fully motion controlled console is.
#46 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -
@Muttinus_Rump said:
" @Whisperkill said:
" @Muttinus_Rump said:

It has nothing to do with it, which is my point. Suckering a bunch of confused and stupid consumers into buying a product that they will barely ever use is not innovating. "
But creating the first fully motion controlled console is. "
The Wii is far from being fully motion controlled.
#47 Posted by Muttinus_Rump (814 posts) -
@Whisperkill said:
" @Muttinus_Rump said:
" @Whisperkill said:
" @Muttinus_Rump said:

But creating the first fully motion controlled console is. "
The Wii is far from being fully motion controlled. "
Stop being pedantic, you know what I mean.
#48 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6788 posts) -
@ArchScabby said:
" @DCFGS3 said:
" I dunno, I think it's good the heavy weights are pushing into motion controls. It means that we move one step closer to a more realistic and interactive gaming experience in real games. Nintendo really just caters to the young family people, which is fine, but at the same time I would like to see what the real game consoles can do with motion technology. In all likelihood both Move and Natal will flop. But it's a step, and maybe next gen, they won't flop, and the gen after that it'll be standard gaming. "
If next gen is all motion controls I'm gonna have to find a new hobby.  It's not more realistic, it's a gimmick that takes you out of the experience, because you always have to pay so much attention to what movement you are supposed to be doing.  I want to relax on my couch when I play a game, I don't want to jump around and fling my arms like an idiot. "
Exactly, if the standard is ever motion controls, I'll be playing strictly PC.
#49 Posted by JoelTGM (5592 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @DOUBLESHOCK said:
" @Muttinus_Rump said:
" @DOUBLESHOCK said:
" @Muttinus_Rump said:
" @Whisperkill said:
They are... "
You act as though you're perfectly aware of what Nintendo has in R&D right now.  It would be foolish to assume that the company is resting on their laurels when they're busy investigating how to proceed next. "
Alright I'm sure whatever they're working on right now is going to blow my mind, but that doesn't change the last statement I made about them trying to discourage their competitors from innovating.  Nintendo is the one who should be embarrassed.  It's like they think they're such hot shit and Microsoft and Sony aren't worthy of touching the motion technology.  As a gamer I think Nintendo is just lazy, taking advantage of the large easy market that MS and Sony didn't pay attention to (because they thought it was about making games, not about making a toy that grandma will buy for little Timmy on his birthday), and Nintendo is in such a comfortable position right now because they know even if MS and Sony outdo them on the motion technology, the masses of non-gamers and casuals won't know it.  All they know is Mario and the Wii, they don't know or care that there might be more advanced gaming technology out there, because all they want is some stupid party game that will entertain them for fifteen minutes and then collect dust, until mommy sees another crappy game on a store shelf that she decides to surprise the kids with.
#50 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -

Its interesting that Fils-Aime is ragging on the other two of the Big Three for not innovating when his company's console has done little but flood the market with mini-game collections and shovelware. The Wii certainly has its gaming gems, but the list of party games it mass produces far outstrips those few brilliant (and usually in-house) titles.

Yes, Fils-Aime is sitting pretty right now on his mountains upon mountains of money, but what happens when the other Big Two start offering those same mini-games and shovelware on a high definition console that also plays all of your favorite third-party titles? I think Nintendo is going to have to switch its angle up pretty soon, because the market they have cornered so well is now contested, and they haven't constructed the Wii to compete in a high definition environment.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.