Nintendo to add Holographic Storage Space?

#1 Edited by Merforga (262 posts) -

A joint research agreement between Nintendo and InPhase Technologies suggests a radical future storage approach...

Since the beginning of Wii, Nintendo's loyal followers have voiced their unanimous opinion; recently even Nintendo's top brass have admitted to it becoming an issue. The simple fact of the matter is the Wii just doesn't have enough storage space to encourage Nintendo's plans for WiiWare, Virtual Console and future expansions.

However, it seems that the problem, once notoriously labelled as solely for "nerds and otakus", could possibly draw upon a revolutionary approach if a patent that was issued earlier in the year is anything to go by.

"Miniature flexure based scanners for angle multiplexing" from inventor Bradley J Sissom, is the complicated sounding title for a solution to increasing the capacity of holographic data storage. Intriguingly Nintendo appear on the patent as joint applicants.

A brief education courtesy of Wikipedia reveals that holographic storage requires a laser to be split into two beams. Data to be stored is encoded onto the signal beam via the special light modulator, before converging with the reference beam and stored onto a photosensitive medium. Reading the data from the medium relies upon a beam being emitted onto the medium at precisely the same angle, wavelength, and position of the reference beam.

Unlocking the greater capacity offered by holographic storage relies upon adjusting the reference beam during the recording/writing phase. Altering the beam allows multiple holograms to be stored in the same volume on the holographic storage medium, which is where the patent comes into play.

InPhase Technologies has lots of information on the technology, and intriguingly appear on the patent alongside Nintendo as joint applicants.

"... disclosure is herein made that the claimed invention was made pursuant to a Joint Research Agreement as defined in 35 U.S.C. 103 (c)(3), that was in effect on or before the date the claimed invention was made, and as a result of activities undertaken within the scope of the Joint Research Agreement, by or on the behalf of Nintendo Co., and InPhase Technologies, Inc."

Joint Research Agreement "... a written contract, grant, or cooperative agreement entered into by two or more persons or entities for the performance of experimental, developmental, or research work in the field of the claimed invention."

Could Nintendo be upping the stakes for its next format or is this the replacement to the aborted DVD drive that will become the Wii's savior? Chances are it's merely one of the countless patents that are left on the drawing room floor.

Source

This seems pretty amazing.  More info here, here, and here
Your thoughts?
#2 Edited by Beaudman (66 posts) -

*Brain Explodes*

EDIT:  Oh, ok. I get it now. By reading the "photosensitive medium" From different angles, It increases the storage capacity by however many angles it can be read. Sorry I had to read it twice.

#3 Posted by Jonathan (654 posts) -

This has been in development for a while. I read about it over a year ago, and Nintendo isn't spearheading it.

#4 Posted by Megalon (1392 posts) -

This tech is ridiculously expensive, there is no way Nintendo is going to be doing this anytime soon. I imagine Nintendo is just contributing a little to the future of storage and keeping an open mind for 10 years down the road. Maybe Sony's success with Blu-ray has something to do with this?

#5 Posted by PaperMario (47 posts) -

The Wii doesn't need a new storage technology. It just needs support for running games directly from SD cards. That's it.

#6 Posted by TwoOneFive (9461 posts) -
Jonathan said:
"This has been in development for a while. I read about it over a year ago, and Nintendo isn't spearheading it.
"
the cheap bastards sure can afford it though, too bad they wasted all their money on a As-seen-on-tv quality console
#7 Posted by Dark_Link142 (377 posts) -
PaperMario said:
"The Wii doesn't need a new storage technology. It just needs support for running games directly from SD cards. That's it.
"
That's true. But SD cards might be too slow to run things directly off of.
#8 Posted by Jonathan (654 posts) -
Dark_Link142 said:
"PaperMario said:
"The Wii doesn't need a new storage technology. It just needs support for running games directly from SD cards. That's it.
"
That's true. But SD cards might be too slow to run things directly off of.
"
It's flash memory. It would not be to slow.
#9 Posted by Absinthetic (172 posts) -

that sounds a little bit excessive for the Wii

thats something I would expect Sony or MS to look into since both the ps3 and 360 can store more than just games

#10 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

Soooo....... Nintendo's solution is to store data on lasers?

Cool. Lasers always make things better.

#11 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

Oh, yeah.

I can say for sure Nintendo's gonna leave another mark on their record for innovation.

#12 Posted by Earthbounder (308 posts) -

Wow. That's impressive. I had never heard of anything like that.

#13 Posted by MiamiRedHawks (914 posts) -

They should just let you use an extrenal hard drive to save...

#14 Posted by Dark_Link142 (377 posts) -
MiamiRedHawks said:
"They should just let you use an extrenal hard drive to save...
"
And add an extra 10 pounds to my Wii? No thanks.
#15 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
MiamiRedHawks said:
"They should just let you use an extrenal hard drive to save...
"
Nintendo doesn't do anything like its competition. Look at Wiispeak.
#16 Posted by SSbabel (1141 posts) -

If they can pull that off its gonna be hell dope.

#17 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -

Wow cool!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.