Nintendo To Bring Back Classic Franchise Next Week

#1 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

An interesting claim has circulated the web today that Nintendo will be showing off modern take on a classic franchise this week.

Gamekyo has taken a sidestep from the impending news of a new DS model and announced that Nintendo will be revealing a new game for Wii, but not any old or casual game malarkey – instead an old franchise that everyone is supposedly waiting for.

Kid Icarus? Pilotwings? Punch Out?

I am going with PunchOut Wii myself, I expect it will have Wii Balance Board support when they do show it. Anyway, what do you guys think it will be?

#2 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

PilotWings would be rad as hell!

#3 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Are you sure it's Nintendo bringing something back? That's not like them.

#4 Posted by Psynapse (1064 posts) -
HandsomeDead said:
"Are you sure it's Nintendo bringing something back? That's not like them."

Lol...

Now i'm no nintendo fan but has there been a Zelda remake on the Wii yet? Excuse my ignorance if there has been.
#5 Posted by Godzilla_Sushi (1084 posts) -

Finally doing that Ice Climbers game....

#6 Posted by JohnDudebro (924 posts) -

Nintendogs is three years old, right? That's probably classic to them now.

Honestly, any rumors of Nintendo doing a game that's not Wii ______ just sound like wishful thinking to me.
#7 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

StarFox?

#8 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

Just a rumor. Not really gonna pay much attention to this, much like the new DS rumor.

But if this was true, I wouldn't mind a new Pilotwings game. That game would be great for both the core and expanded audiences. Simple looking, yet very indepth.

#9 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -
F-Zero, please!

A good F-Zero game with some new mechanics (NOT motion-control related, since I just can't see that working) with 30 player online races would be amazing.
#10 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -

I absolutely gave up faith in Nintendo a year or so ago :( Maybe they'll pull something spectacular out, but I doubt it.

#11 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

I'm  thinking its Punch Out or Kid Icarus.

#12 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -
Jayge said:
"StarFox?"
seconded, loved that game as a kid, the Nintendo 64 game that is.
#13 Posted by zitosilva (1840 posts) -

Could it be something more concrete about Pikmin? Okay, I know they said they are doing it, but that's pretty vague.

#14 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

Here's to hoping for this to be true. I don't even give a flying eff what it is, I just want to see something.

#15 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -
Jayge said:
"StarFox?"
Oh god, how I hope for a new StarFox game. I have an awesome idea for how they could do it. It could be so good....
#16 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
"Jayge said:
"StarFox?"
Oh god, how I hope for a new StarFox game. I have an awesome idea for how they could do it. It could be so good...."
What are you waiting for? Chinese New Year? Spit it out.
#17 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

All i want is a new Wave Race, if it's not that then i dont care.

#18 Posted by MarkMacDonald (11 posts) -

Kid Icarus.... please be Kid Icarus....

#19 Posted by Dalai (7017 posts) -

Maybe they'll go totally left field with this and revive Mach Rider.

#20 Posted by ThomasP (1655 posts) -

Kid Icarus, Punch Out, or F-Zero please.

#21 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
Linkyshinks said:
"clubsandwich said:
"Jayge said:
"StarFox?"
seconded, loved that game as a kid, the Nintendo 64 game that is."

There is this awesome looking homebrew game on the way  for PC.

Shadows of Lylat Gameplay

New Pics

"
There's no waggling at the screen. Get that weak shit off my thread.
#22 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
Dalai said:
"Maybe they'll go totally left field with this and revive Mach Rider."
That would be dope. Still have the cart for that one.
#23 Posted by SpinCookie (680 posts) -

It's probably going to be Kid Icarus, Matt from IGN already confirmed that Factor-5 is working on it.

#24 Posted by MrGetBonus (782 posts) -

POKEMANS

#25 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
MrGetBonus said:
"POKEMANS"
Here's to hoping for Pokemon Snap.
#26 Posted by Zenexo (71 posts) -
SpinCookie said:
"It's probably going to be Kid Icarus, Matt from IGN already confirmed that Factor-5 is working on it."
Lol...Factor 5 are hacks...why cant nintendo develop it? Do we really need it to be as bad as Lair? Well even though it probably is Kid Icarus I would love a new StarFox game
#27 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -
Zenexo said:
"SpinCookie said:
"It's probably going to be Kid Icarus, Matt from IGN already confirmed that Factor-5 is working on it."
Lol...Factor 5 are hacks...why cant nintendo develop it? Do we really need it to be as bad as Lair? Well even though it probably is Kid Icarus I would love a new StarFox game"
You're judging Factor 5 based on ONE game...

...versus possibly one of the best Star Wars game series, Rogue Squadron. And they were on NINTENDO'S system.

I think they could pull it off. The wiimote makes a better flight stick than a sixaxis controller.
#28 Posted by Ubergeist (416 posts) -

Hopefully StarFox, Kid Icarus or (if there is a god) Earthbound.

#29 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

My money's on Kid Icarus, seeing as they've already announced it.

#30 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
Ubergeist said:
"Hopefully StarFox, Kid Icarus or (if there is a god) Earthbound."
the translation of mother 3 is only a month from being finalised

No love for f-zero?
#31 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

*crosses fingers for Balloon Fight Wii*

I want it! :(
#32 Posted by Earthbounder (308 posts) -

I think Pokemon Snap and Ice Climbers would be perfect for the Wii Ware service!

As for the classic franchise I would bet it will be Pilotwings, Kid Icarus or Punch-out but I prefer to think that Nintendo won't show anything new at all on their upcoming conference.

#33 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

I think people are setting themselves up for disapointment. I just focus on expecting TGS rather than any Nintendo conference. Nintendo claimed they won't be showing any new core games until after early 2009 and I have no reason to think they'll change mind (though I'd be pleasantly surprised if they do).I look forward to seeing the many promising third party games I do know of (and any potential surprises) like Monster Hunter 3 rather than listen to rumours and get hyped over what I think will be of little value to gamers. Just like people got hyped for the Kirby event expecting a Wii Kirby title. Didn't happen.

#34 Posted by XJGunz (60 posts) -
Linkyshinks said:
"Well thay have not officially announced it but Miyamoto let it slip when he was asked something about the game. He said, " I am not working on that game so.."  "
Well, you wanna go a little further? What game did he comment this on?
#35 Posted by Xymox (2082 posts) -
So no Duck Hunt 2 then?
#36 Posted by Earthbounder (308 posts) -

Duck Hunt 2 would also be a very good sequel to release on WiiWare! I would stay at home and skip work just to buy it as soon as possible!

#37 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -
Earthbounder said:
"Duck Hunt 2 would also be a very good sequel to release on WiiWare! I would stay at home and skip work just to buy it as soon as possible!"

That, along with a VC release of the original Duck Hunt (with added Wiimote IR support) would be a nice double package.
#38 Edited by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

Wow, i find your lack of love for Wave Race disturbing :|

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.