Nostalgia.

#1 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -

Do you think the Wii is missing it? Because I do. What made me think of this is this

Obviously its a little bit of a different topic, but it made me think of nostalgia, and how Nintendo is not even developing starfox, kirby, and the other great oldschool games in their line-up. 

Do not get me wrong, it has its amazing 2010 line-up, but it is still recycling its big three- Metroid, Mario, and Mr. Link. 

New Super Mario Bros Wii is great example of how to pluck our Christmas memories and glorify them into one great package, but we need more of that in other franchises... correct?

#2 Posted by Dalai (6995 posts) -

The Wii is almost 100% pure nostalgia. Punch-Out!! and Excitebike: World Rally are pretty much marketing themselves as nostalgia titles. And then the Virtual Console games... you can't tell me I bought over 40 VC games for it because I just felt like it.

#3 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Frankly I think nostalgia is overrated. Old games should only still be loved if they have withstood the test of time and can still be fun today without beer goggles. It's always nice to see new iterations of old franchises we loved as a kid, but I'd just as soon see more new IPs and ideas.

#4 Edited by demontium (4707 posts) -
@Dalai: 2 games (excluding exitebike which IMO wasn't nostalgic at all) and a pile of missing content do not make me nostalgic. 

EDIT: Here is the article.

@AgentJ said: 

" Frankly I think nostalgia is overrated. Old games should only still be loved if they have withstood the test of time and can still be fun today without beer goggles. It's always nice to see new iterations of old franchises we loved as a kid, but I'd just as soon see more new IPs and ideas. "

So you did not like NSMBW. 

GTFO.    
#5 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @AgentJ said:
" Frankly I think nostalgia is overrated. Old games should only still be loved if they have withstood the test of time and can still be fun today without beer goggles. It's always nice to see new iterations of old franchises we loved as a kid, but I'd just as soon see more new IPs and ideas. "
So you did not like NSMBW.  GTFO. "
Too early to say whether I like NSMBW, since I've only played a few minutes of it. That's not really quite relevant to what I was saying, however. I was talking about old games, like for example Super Mario Bros 3. It's a great game that still holds up today as a fun game. On the other hand you have a game like the original Kid Icarus, which isn't really worth playing unless you hold memories of playing it as a kid. Does that make sense? 

I will say that I was not for the idea of NSMBW when I heard about it at E3 beyond the 4player aspect, but it still has no relevance to the point I'm making.
#6 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@AgentJ: Kid Icarus was Meh when it first came out. Nostalgia is a great thing for gamers IMO. 

It can tie old memories to new technology. 

Did you watch the video I linked? It explains the difference between not deciding to change and nostalgia.
#7 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

My problem with nintendo today is that when they use an old mascot on a console, instead of getting a regular ass game in the series, it'S some bizzare spin off, like Kirby Airride, or Star Fox Adventures.

#8 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @AgentJ: Kid Icarus was Meh when it first came out. Nostalgia is a great thing for gamers IMO.  It can tie old memories to new technology.  Did you watch the video I linked? It explains the difference between not deciding to change and nostalgia. "
Fine, take the original version of Metroid then. It's nearly unplayable by todays standards. Zero Mission was much needed.
The video was very well done and its point is well made.
#9 Posted by ADTR_ZERO (1060 posts) -

I liked that video.

#10 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@ADTR_ZERO said:
" I liked that video. "
THATS GREAT! 

@AgentJ said:
" @demontium said:
" @AgentJ: Kid Icarus was Meh when it first came out. Nostalgia is a great thing for gamers IMO.  It can tie old memories to new technology.  Did you watch the video I linked? It explains the difference between not deciding to change and nostalgia. "
Fine, take the original version of Metroid then. It's nearly unplayable by todays standards. Zero Mission was much needed.The video was very well done and its point is well made. "
Yes, and Zero Mission is pure nostalgia to a game that was great in its time!
#11 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @ADTR_ZERO said:
" I liked that video. "
THATS GREAT! 

@AgentJ said:
" @demontium said:
Fine, take the original version of Metroid then. It's nearly unplayable by todays standards. Zero Mission was much needed.The video was very well done and its point is well made. "
Yes, and Zero Mission is pure nostalgia to a game that was great in its time! "
Yeah, see when I think nostalgia, I don't immediately think of recent games that play like old games. I think of old games. It was in that context that I wrote my original post.
#12 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@AgentJ said:
" @demontium said:
" @ADTR_ZERO said:
" I liked that video. "
THATS GREAT! 

@AgentJ said:
" @demontium said:
Yes, and Zero Mission is pure nostalgia to a game that was great in its time! "
Yeah, see when I think nostalgia, I don't immediately think of recent games that play like old games. I think of old games. It was in that context that I wrote my original post. "
Good, then nostalgia is not bad at all. It is not the old games themselves. Its what makes you remember those classics in a good way.
#13 Posted by Milkman (16519 posts) -

The Wii is nothing but nostalgia...

#14 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" My problem with nintendo today is that when they use an old mascot on a console, instead of getting a regular ass game in the series, it'S some bizzare spin off, like Kirby Airride, or Star Fox Adventures. "
Way to go off topic.
#15 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -
@demontium: I'm just sayin' that they're playing the nostalgia in a wrong way. We all have fond memeories of these characters and franchises. But nintendo isn't getting as good a nostalgic response because all their games are just totally random ADD fests featuring these chracters. I'd like a solid Kirby platformer, ala Crystal Shards on the Wii. Or maybe a shadow complex style metroid game. Bring it all back, but with smart, modern revisions. Boom! You get good nostalgia, while still being fresh.  

Basically more games need the New Super Mario Bros Wii treatment.
#16 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" @demontium: I'm just sayin' that they're playing the nostalgia in a wrong way. We all have fond memeories of these characters and franchises. But nintendo isn't getting as good a nostalgic response because all their games are just totally random ADD fests featuring these chracters. I'd like a solid Kirby platformer, ala Crystal Shards on the Wii. Or maybe a shadow complex style metroid game. Bring it all back, but with smart, modern revisions. Boom! You get good nostalgia, while still being fresh.   Basically more games need the New Super Mario Bros Wii treatment. "
There is not more than one way to play nostalgia. Did you watch the linked video? It explains the difference between nostalgia (NSMBW) and BS (madden).  

Nintendo is nostalgic. so is shadow complex. and I guess you did not read what I posted. 

@demontium said:
" Obviously its a little bit of a different topic, but it made me think of nostalgia, and how Nintendo is not even developing starfox, kirby, and the other great oldschool games in their line-up.  Do not get me wrong, it has its amazing 2010 line-up, but it is still recycling its big three- Metroid, Mario, and Mr. Link."
#17 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
@Dalai said:
" The Wii is almost 100% pure nostalgia. Punch-Out!! and Excitebike: World Rally are pretty much marketing themselves as nostalgia titles. And then the Virtual Console games... you can't tell me I bought over 40 VC games for it because I just felt like it. "
I played Punch Out!! (The original) in 2005.  I still think it is a solid title.  I also bought Shining Force, Toejam and Earl,  Phantasy Star and Pulseman without ever having played them before.
#18 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Like Nintendo's not attacked enough for sticking to the tried and true? Now they aren't doing that enough? Will people decide already?

#19 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -
@Al3xand3r: Well sometimes they've stuck to the tried and true formulas TOO long and they're stale (Zelda, really). But so many nintendo franchises got kinda crapped on from the Gamecube up, and would love to see actual... y'know main games like they used to make. We have a lot of spin-offs and such, and really bad directions they've taken some characters. 

You can't group Nintendo franchises into one big clump, some need change, some need to find their roots. It's not like you just pick one side or the other.
#20 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

I would think saying it "lacks nostalgia" is a pretty general argument though.

#21 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" Like Nintendo's not attacked enough for sticking to the tried and true? Now they aren't doing that enough? Will people decide already? "
Hopefully you know I am not the everday poster who thinks that. 

I do not think, I KNOW Nintendo does not have ANY starfox, kirby, Donkey Kong, and so on in their line up. 

Rather they have other AAA games that will be amazing, but I would appreciate a more diverse approach. 

Instead of grasping our nostalgia, they are mining the big three sellers, not to say that they are not good, but it is just better to use all the franchises correctly.
#22 Posted by Dalai (6995 posts) -

The lack of Nintendo's mid-tier franchises (F-Zero, Kirby, Star Fox) is really disappointing, especially in the case of F-Zero for me. I think Nintendo has been all over the place this generation with the Wii. Think about it, the Wii will have at least 3 Mario platformers while they ignore Star Fox, Kirby, Pikmin, and F-Zero. Yet they revived Punch-Out!! and the Excite series. And so far only one Mario Party game! I guess Wii Sports and its brothers made sure Mario can focus on the other 56 Mario spinoff franchises.

#23 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

For someone who owns more than 120 VC games, It's more Nostalgia than anything else.

#24 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
" For someone who owns more than 120 VC games, It's more Nostalgia than anything else. "
If you have to spend that much money on VC games you either did not play them before and thus it isn't nostalgia, or you are rebuying them, and again not nostalgia, just the same game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.